The Beaver's Lodge - A Little Of This & Little Of That

:ciao: Beav

Hope your rainy's are over with today. :)

What is the thickness of the poly you used on the covered wagon? I believe what I have here is 6 mil. I am concerned about the amount of light it cuts out and that it might cause too much plant stretch. My plan is to put the indoor veg girls outside in the "green house" during the daylight hours and then bring them in during the final 7 or 8 hours of the light schedule at night.

Any thoughts on whether it cuts out too much light?

I seriously need to lower this electric bill right now.

:circle-of-love:

:ciao: Beav

Hope your rainy's are over with today. :)

What is the thickness of the poly you used on the covered wagon? I believe what I have here is 6 mil. I am concerned about the amount of light it cuts out and that it might cause too much plant stretch. My plan is to put the indoor veg girls outside in the "green house" during the daylight hours and then bring them in during the final 7 or 8 hours of the light schedule at night.

Any thoughts on whether it cuts out too much light?

I seriously need to lower this electric bill right now.

It did quit raining and the sun is shining! It's only 45 degrees out but it's 61 under the plastic.

6 mil sounds right but I've already pitched the wrapper. I think quite a few people in cooler climates get a head start on the growing season with stationary hoop green houses, and figure even if I do lose a little light due to the film covering I'm still way ahead in the (lumen department) by having direct sunlight as opposed to even the best artificial light I can afford.

Yesterday when it became obvious it was gonna be nasty all day I put it back in the garage and turned the light on, but that had more to do with dark skies than anything.

It did quit raining and the sun is shining! It's only 45 degrees out but it's 61 under the plastic.

6 mil sounds right but I've already pitched the wrapper. I think quite a few people in cooler climates get a head start on the growing season with stationary hoop green houses, and figure even if I do lose a little light due to the film covering I'm still way ahead in the (lumen department) by having direct sunlight as opposed to even the best artificial light I can afford.

Yesterday when it became obvious it was gonna be nasty all day I put it back in the garage and turned the light on, but that had more to do with dark skies than anything.

Sunny and gorgeous here this morning too. Good deal. :) It's still a little too cool in the mornings here, I was outside getting started on this thing and my toes and fingers were getting chilled. I like the idea of the heat inside for early morning sunlight, so I'm going to put the plastic on it.
I'll post a pic to my thread when it's done. Shouldn't take long, I have some holes to drill etc. It's a LOT smaller than yours, but I only need room for 3 plants and a couple of seedlings.

Here is what I have been doing Cannafan, maybe it'll give you a better idea of how my setup works.

At 8:30pm I put the wagon in my garage with the plastic side flaps down so when the heater comes on (60 degrees +/- 2 degrees) the heat will be mostly retained. I think all the soil in the pots helps to continue throwing off heat as well. Then I shut the garage door... the dark period begins.

The timer is set for the light to come on at 1:30am and go off at 7:30am, I'm trying to shorten the night so they won't flower when I leave them out 24/7 later on, so 8:30pm to 1:30am gives me 5 hours of darkness before the light turns on.

I have 2 dogs that can't sleep past 7:30am anyway so this isn't a big issue around here. When they go out I pull the wagon outside into the morning sun but leave the heater on (extension cord) until the temp inside can be maintained by the sun alone.

As it gets warmer I roll up the sides and clip them together up on the top center so they'll get fresh air and the breeze (within reason) If it's too windy I can leave the side flap down to block it.

If the weather does not co-operate, like yesterday, I just leave the whole thing inside with the Mars unit on.

I'm not saying there won't be problems but I haven't found them yet.

Another advantage is I don't have to bend down or lift anything (back issues) as being on the wagon they are at a good working height. I can also move the wagon around to keep it in the direct sun if needed. (think shade as the sun moves during the day.)

I have been contemplating this all winter so I'm happy to see that "so far" everything seems to be working as planned.

Hope this helps with your setup plans.

Hey Beav! It's done. :) Thank you so much for the idea!

Check it out here:

Cannafan's Perpetual Grow - Where Everything Changes - Autos - Photos - Seeds & More!

Mine is much smaller than what you have. My goal is more to be sure I'm getting maximum sunlight by moving it as needed. I live in the woods, so there are hours of blocked sunlight in any one area throughout the day. It's also a nice critter prevention.
I will roll it into the garage when needed, so that will help too. We get some pretty bad storms here, and last years' storms played serious havoc on my outdoor plants.

I think this is going to come in very useful in the fall too.

i like the selection u did...iamcurious to see the critical+...i have one 14-16 days old about and i want to see the differences of the same strains in different conditions...pots-seed company-climate....e.t.c.
nice to see u again here Beav.!!! subs

I am absolutely loving my new Cannastoga Beav! This is coming in so handy with the cold mornings here. I don't have to worry about bringing the plants in at night because it stays much warmer inside there than outside. Can't thank you enough for that idea.
Can I post a pic of the finished one here? Might give others some ideas too.

So, why am I here? :laugh: I remembered the main reason I asked about the amount of diffused light with the plastic. Do you think it would cause plants to stretch more? Have you noticed that to happen when the plastic is on there? Might be a no worry thing, but I like to be prepared to keep LST on them outside if that's true.

Beautiful Sunny day here today. Woot woot!

:thanks:

I am absolutely loving my new Cannastoga Beav! This is coming in so handy with the cold mornings here. I don't have to worry about bringing the plants in at night because it stays much warmer inside there than outside. Can't thank you enough for that idea.
Can I post a pic of the finished one here? Might give others some ideas too.

So, why am I here? :laugh: I remembered the main reason I asked about the amount of diffused light with the plastic. Do you think it would cause plants to stretch more? Have you noticed that to happen when the plastic is on there? Might be a no worry thing, but I like to be prepared to keep LST on them outside if that's true.

Beautiful Sunny day here today. Woot woot!

:thanks:

Yes, please post a pic of your wagon Cannafan, we may have a few other cool weather folks stop by and choices are good.... I'm glad you could use some of it.

It was cooler today (50'ish) but I rolled the wagon out anyway. Before long it was 95F in there so I rolled one side up to give them some breeze and fresh air. The last couple of days I kept them in the garage with the MarsHydro on 19/5 and a small space heater running to keep it between 61 & 64. I hope the plants are liking it as much as I "think" they should :)

It's hard for me to believe that the plastic sheeting would block that much sun light from getting to them. Hopefully a light guru will help us out on that question but I wouldn't think it would block much if any... at any rate, I'm sure they still get more light with the plastic down that what any light I have would provide. If you hear different give me a shout.

Okay, I blogged your post and then I will add my little wagon to that as well. ;-)

Here it is all finished up using a pull behind metal dump cart for the lawn tractor, cattle fencing and plastic sheeting then PVC pipes on the ends for sturdy arc:

green_house_3.jpg

green_house_1.jpg

Did you catch the question on stretch?

Yes, but I don't have an answer regarding stretch..... at least not yet.
Thanks for adding pics of the Cannastoga :thumb:

I need help, I thought I'd be able to figure it out, but I'm stumped.

Plant in question is the Super Lermon Haze, in FFOC that was recycled after one use, and 15 gallon Smart Pot. I figured the nutes were used up so I fed it with Mills Nutrients, growth phase - week 2. Yesterday I did a foliar feed with Epsom Salts, I also added a gallon with Epsom Salts (2 tsp) and molasses (1oz). It is not looking any better today so before I kill it I need some advice.

The top half---
16708.jpg

And the bottom---
22382.jpg

Anyone have any ideas? This started happening within a few days of transplanting.

I need help, I thought I'd be able to figure it out, but I'm stumped.

Plant in question is the Super Lermon Haze, in FFOC that was recycled after one use, and 15 gallon Smart Pot. I figured the nutes were used up so I fed it with Mills Nutrients, growth phase - week 2. Yesterday I did a foliar feed with Epsom Salts, I also added a gallon with Epsom Salts (2 tsp) and molasses (1oz). It is not looking any better today so before I kill it I need some advice.

The top half---
16708.jpg

And the bottom---
22382.jpg

Anyone have any ideas? This started happening within a few days of transplanting.

I would not give up yet. You just treated her. The yellow won't go away. Look for green health new growth. I would give her some time. :peace:

Since this yellowing is in the upper (new) growth only, we know this is a non-mobile nutrient deficiency, and it looks like copper is the problem to me. You have the classic dark metallic sheen to the leaves with this curious yellowing from the edges. Since your soil has probably been depleted of this trace element, all your plants are able to get is via your nutrients, but by the time it gets down to the root level to be absorbed, I suspect that the pH has already drifted out of range. I would reduce your pH by a couple of points, and do a 3x flush to remove any salts that might be blocking the uptake of the copper, especially now after adding a gallon of epsom salts. Give your nutes as you normally would at that point, just at a lower pH, and lets see if this problem stops progressing. There really isn't an extra supplement that you can give to add copper... it should be there in the nutrients in more than sufficient quantities... you just have to solve the mystery as to why the plant can't get to it... I am betting on pH and/or salt problems.

I agree with SG, don't give up. Give it time to recover.

I wonder...what do you guys think of topping it where the worst part is on the center top? It would allow new healthy growth to replace it....I'm thinking.

Any thoughts on that??

Probably could. Being that she's outside I think I'd leave her for a bit and see what she does. Either way she's savable :)

Back
Top Bottom