Virgin Ground And The Little Star Asterion

Cannabis Compounds Prevented Covid Infection in Laboratory Study​

By
Kanoko Matsuyama
+Follow
January 11, 2022, 11:48 PM CST

Cannabis compounds prevented the virus that causes Covid-19 from penetrating healthy human cells, according to a laboratory study published in the Journal of Nature Products.
The two compounds commonly found in hemp -- called cannabigerolic acid, or CBGA, and cannabidiolic acid, or CBDA -- were identified during a chemical screening effort as having potential to combat coronavirus, researchers from Oregon State University said. In the study, they bound to spike proteins found on the virus and blocked a step the pathogen uses to infect people.

The researchers tested the compounds’ effect against alpha and beta variants of the virus in a laboratory. The study didn’t involve giving the supplements to people or comparing infection rates in those who use the compounds to those who don’t.

Hemp is a source of fiber, food and animal feed, and extracts are commonly added to cosmetics, body lotions, dietary supplements and food.
“These compounds can be taken orally and have a long history of safe use in humans,” said Richard van Breemen, a researcher with Oregon State’s Global Hemp Innovation Center. “They have the potential to prevent as well as treat infection by SARS-CoV-2,” he said in a statement.

By
Kanoko Matsuyama
+Follow

Cannabis compounds prevented the virus that causes Covid-19 from penetrating healthy human cells, according to a laboratory study published in the Journal of Nature Products.
The two compounds commonly found in hemp -- called cannabigerolic acid, or CBGA, and cannabidiolic acid, or CBDA -- were identified during a chemical screening effort as having potential to combat coronavirus, researchers from Oregon State University said. In the study, they bound to spike proteins found on the virus and blocked a step the pathogen uses to infect people.

The researchers tested the compounds’ effect against alpha and beta variants of the virus in a laboratory. The study didn’t involve giving the supplements to people or comparing infection rates in those who use the compounds to those who don’t.

Hemp is a source of fiber, food and animal feed, and extracts are commonly added to cosmetics, body lotions, dietary supplements and food.
“These compounds can be taken orally and have a long history of safe use in humans,” said Richard van Breemen, a researcher with Oregon State’s Global Hemp Innovation Center. “They have the potential to prevent as well as treat infection by SARS-CoV-2,” he said in a statement.
Interesting article, nice post. I'm not at all surprised. I haven't been sick with as much as a cold in years. I simply never get sick. And I'm vaccinated, yes, but not surprised it can help fight Covid too. I believe it has a general insulating effect on the entire immune system. No proof, just a theory. But that seems to be how it is with me and many others I know who smoke daily.

Dry herb vaping does, she's never smoked it as far as I know. I can vape a lot more than she can, and she can take doses of edibles that would put me in an hallucinatory state, and likely trigger an anxiety attack.
I'll be giving her some of the sublingual doses I'm making to test out. It doesn't go through the liver to get to the bloodstream, so it might work better for her.
Hope she finds that it works for her.

I'm so glad to hear your mom is okay, but someone needs to report that doctor to the medical board for a bit of extra training. :eek:
No kidding. We had a long talk about it yesterday. She's looking at options.
the natural fat in the guac kicked it off. the thc bound to the fat and entered your bloodstream faster as a result. avocado and a few other foods will do that.
Yup. Exactly!
Kicked my ass.
I'm this way, too. In order to kick off my high, I smoke some flower about half hour after the edible is eaten and that seems to kick off the high for me from the edible.

This article was about not getting high from edibles but I'd be interested to find out whether patients who take cannabis orally (aka edible) for pain get any relief for that pain?
If it's the THC giving relief then perhaps not? My takeaway is that some livers process the THC so fast it doesn't have time to work it's magic.

But...I'm hardly the expert on such things.

Highya VG,

Here's to the good times!! :passitleft:Happy Smokin'
Lol. I'll smoke to that.
:passitleft:
Yep! Like I was already way high and didn't know it. I am Polish so...

So glad the Dr was a dick and Mom's on the good road!
It could have been much worse. She's relaxing and watching Wheel of Fortune right now.
She said she feels much better.

Interesting that they were testing the acid form of the cannabinoids. And when would you harvest to get CBGa? Isn't that the precursor to most of the other cannabinoids?
It's readily available in vegging plants. Weed Seeds Express has a CBG Citrus Nectar but I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet. It's always sold out.

Yes,it is the precursor.
CBG referred to as the mother of cannabinoids.
Interesting article, nice post. I'm not at all surprised. I haven't been sick with as much as a cold in years. I simply never get sick. And I'm vaccinated, yes, but not surprised it can help fight Covid too. I believe it has a general insulating effect on the entire immune system. No proof, just a theory. But that seems to be how it is with me and many others I know who smoke daily.
I have kids so my life is a giant petri dish. Seems that I catch just about everything that comes through here.

The endocannabinoid system is part of every organ and regulates your entire body.
If your system is out of wack it's much easier to pick up ailments.

By
Kanoko Matsuyama
+Follow

was wondering when this was gonna pop up here.

cannabis is known to interfere with loads and loads and loads of nasty shit that tries to invade healthy cells. we've known about it blocking cancers for a while. it makes sense it would work as a blocker for lesser things.

i like the fact that research was put in to differentiate between raw and smoked cannabis compounds. this is a whole plant. for whole health. meant to be enjoyed and benefited in many ways.

Just a bit of warmth and she's looking better....

The older plant pictured is Doug's Varin.

Dropped a few DDA this morning. I have them on a mat,covered with a drain pan for now. The thermostat says 82°. I made sure to grab some H202 at the store. I was out for a month or so.

Fingers crossed. I really need to get something above ground before February.

By
Kanoko Matsuyama
+Follow

Hey VG,

Shed pointed me over here. I read the same article yesterday on the web. Very interesting stuff.

I've been using most of my harvest in the acidic versions. I usually chop it up, stick it in some fresh olive oil and put it on my daily salads. I've found it works great that way for me.

I've been doing it that way since I read stuff from Dr William Courtney who is researching and treating patients with the plant in this manner.

He recommends juicing the raw leaves daily and thinks everyone should include it in their diet as a "dietary essential."

He says that, since there is no psychoactive effect, that one can take a much higher dose than one could if it is heated.

Another reason to eat raw fan leaves I guess. Maybe I should stop putting them in the salve bin then...
Pretty bitter, though. Need something pretty flavorful to mask the taste.

Plus, there are many more of the various cannabinoids on the flowers and sugar leaves than in the raw leaves. I guess if you're just going to compost them when you trim that'd be ok, but that's not for me.

Pretty bitter, though. Need something pretty flavorful to mask the taste.

Plus, there are many more of the various cannabinoids on the flowers and sugar leaves than in the raw leaves. I guess if you're just going to compost them when you trim that'd be ok, but that's not for me.
True on the CBDa or THCa, but as VG pointed out above, if you want the CBGa you need to be noshing on the plant in veg.

And I had a spoonful of the oil this morning after the first run and it tasted better than the decarbed CBD oil I keep under my tongue every morning!

True on the CBDa or THCa, but as VG pointed out above, if you want the CBGa you need to be noshing on the plant in veg.

And I had a spoonful of the oil this morning after the first run and it tasted better than the decarbed CBD oil I keep under my tongue every morning!
They're working on plants that maintain a higher level of CBGa, even in flower. I wasn't interested myself, but give me a while and I might be able to find where it was mentioned. Might come up in a google search too.

If it's the THC giving relief then perhaps not? My takeaway is that some livers process the THC so fast it doesn't have time to work it's magic.
I think it's more about tieing up the liver with distractions so the THC can slide on by. So taking it with, or after, a meal helps,

Also, taking it with a fat helps with that process.

Very happy! Even Doug looks like it's putting on some nice new growth. :thumb:
She is. I stepped back on the nutes. Now she's looking a bit washed out.
I'll bring it back up slowly.
Hey VG,

Shed pointed me over here. I read the same article yesterday on the web. Very interesting stuff.

I've been using most of my harvest in the acidic versions. I usually chop it up, stick it in some fresh olive oil and put it on my daily salads. I've found it works great that way for me.

I've been doing it that way since I read stuff from Dr William Courtney who is researching and treating patients with the plant in this manner.

He recommends juicing the raw leaves daily and thinks everyone should include it in their diet as a "dietary essential."

He says that, since there is no psychoactive effect, that one can take a much higher dose than one could if it is heated.
Glad to see you

I found it interesting as well.

I saw some guy on YouTube that said he ingested a bunch of leaves with citrus and got high.
I'm wondering if that's possible. Seems sus.I know that citrus rind is used to negate cannabis overdoses...

Lots of folks juicing these days. I don't use any sprays so I could be doing this too. Think my ex husband has my juicer. I'll ask my son to locate it for me. Maybe try this out for myself.

Makes me wish I didn't have to spray so much on my plants in veg to keep them bug free. Not sure I want to be eating raw neem oil or potassium salts of fatty acids no matter how much rinsing I do!
No. Probably not terribly good for you.
I'd need to eat salad for that to work... ;)
What!?!? You don't eat salad? Is this like the sugar thing or do you just not enjoy salads?

Poor salad...can't get no friends......

They're working on plants that maintain a higher level of CBGa, even in flower. I wasn't interested myself, but give me a while and I might be able to find where it was mentioned. Might come up in a google search too.
So I hear! VG went looking for CBG Citrus Nectar that she mentioned above @Weed Seeds Express but they don't seem to have keep them in stock.
do you just not enjoy salads?
This ↑ though I do eat some if it's on the table, but usually without dressing. I'm not sure I'll be able to convince anyone to use my CBDa EVOO either way! I'm fine with it raw since I can handle the decarbed stuff that makes others go ewwww. :)

There is a really high CBG strain called CBG Citrus Nectar. Think is about 15% CBG.Just can't get my greedy lil hands on it...yet.

Usually CBG is in very small amounts in vegging plants. Usually the percentage is at 2-4%. By the time the plant matures it's essentially gone.

Back
Top Bottom