Vulx Comparative Grow Featuring Kauai Electric IBL

Scottsquatch

I've been talking about doing this for a while now and things kept coming up that prevented me. Well, I'm finally getting around to it. I have two goals that I would like to achieve with this grow. The first is to see if these Hawaiian Heirloom/landrace seeds have evolved to require volcanic soil in order to reach full potential. I have talked with a few people that have grown Hawaiian IBL's. All stated to effect that they do not turn out the same when grown over here as they do when grown in the islands. I hypothesize that the Hawaiian strains have grown in volcanic soil long enough for them to have gone through a genetic "Shift" where the plant is now "matched" (for lack of a better word), to the environment/soil. This essentially meaning that the plant has become a landrace strain. I don't know the number of generations it takes to officially become a landrace strain, so if anybody does know, please feel free to jump in and share. I will pop all ten seeds in the effort to get 6 female plants. I will grow three plants in my regular LOS soil and three more in the same LOS soil amended with Vulx. The males will go into isolation until I can collect pollen. I would probably get more accurate data if I used clones, but my second goal is to do a seed run and I want to keep the genetic diversity of the strain. I would also get better data if I grew more plants, but I don't have the room. I'll be resetting the 4x8 and getting the new soils mixed up over the next week or so. Then I'll pop those seeds. You're all invited to stick around and watch the show.

:popcorn:

I'm in.... whats in your LOS soil??

You should have some sort of volcanic rock dust in your soil already??

The Heirloom question is a good one. Specially as it relates to cannabis. This process takes many generations of open pollination from my understanding.

There's a farmer or 2 on 420mag that have been growing from seed in organic soil passed down from generation to generation (parents/grandparents etc) with the same breeding and soil practices.

Cannabis from what I know of Hawaiian grown, there are landrace genetics there from plants that have been grown for hundreds if not thousands of years in Hawaii.

The soil question is part of it for sure.

1000's of years? it has been there long enough to be considered a landrace then. Good to know. I use the LOS recipe from Cali green. He's an organic grower on you tube. My theory is that with a quality volcanic amendment, the potency and quality of Hawaiian landraces grown on the mainland will turn out more like the plants grown in the Hawaiian soil.

I mix my own so always interested in what other folks use in their soil mixes. I looked it up and why I asked. It wasn't real clear in my short thumbing thru the interwebs. I didn't watch any you-tube vids tho.

Vulx won't give you mineral benefits in the way azomite, andesite, etc. do.

It's not water soluble and therefore does not break down in soil.

If you want to create an environment rich with plant-available volcanic minerals, make sure you're not using it as a substitute for products made for that.

@Vulx

How does the chemical composition of leachate have to do with nutrient availability of soil??

"Leachate is water that has passed through soil and absorbed the nutrients therein. By analyzing leachate for its chemical constituents, we can determine the efficacy in which fertilizers or other additives are absorbed by crops and soil. "

With soil with a HIGH CEC and that will be soil with a high content of SOM (soil organic matter) there will be very little to "leach" out with water. How to draw any conclusion based on this fact??

@Vulx

How does the chemical composition of leachate have to do with nutrient availability of soil??

"Leachate is water that has passed through soil and absorbed the nutrients therein. By analyzing leachate for its chemical constituents, we can determine the efficacy in which fertilizers or other additives are absorbed by crops and soil. "

With soil with a HIGH CEC and that will be soil with a high content of SOM (soil organic matter) there will be very little to "leach" out with water. How to draw any conclusion based on this fact??

Nothing. Adsorption capacity on its own isn't indicative of how available nutrients are, just that they are retained in the soil solution.

But it would not be indicative of how well soil retains nutrients or how well crops take them up - it is an indication of how little is leached out which is caused by a combination of both of those things.

High CEC
Adsorption Capacity
Extremely high surface area
Negative charge

Individually these don't mean much. It's their combination that makes it effective.

Also important to note that high CEC isn't exclusive to organic material.

Good Luck Squatch. This Kauai Electric is a rare heirloom.

I tried some of Chimera's Hawaiian Spice which is supposed to be a Kauai Electric or 'Blood' crossed with BC Sweet Skunk. It's pretty amazing uplifting smoke, unique buds, tropical smells. I crossed hawaiian spice with a colombian sativa male.
I also have mr. nice's hawaiian spice. Different cultivar altogether from Chimera's. Indica/sativa mix, rubber tire smells on some.

As far as Hawaiian strains not growing well outside the island makes sense because Kauai is basically heaven on earth. DJ Short years ago wrote in his book about island weed not growing the sameway when it is away from it's sweet spot. I think that has been repeated ad infinitum on the forums.

You can take any good sativa from Mexico, Colombia or Thailand and it will grow into some fine pakalolo on the island. Kauai has one of the wettest spots on earth close to one of the driest. It's an amazing place with so many microclimates rich in volcanic minerals and high uv sunlight. I use red lava sand in my pots, local garden store has it in stock. It's pretty fine textured. About 12 bucks for 50 lbs.

BTW Vulx sounds like an interesting amendment but I can't seem to find what it is, besides volcanic. I guess that's in the name. I don't really like amendment mysteries. What is the product and what is the process?

@Vulx, you could probably explain your product better than I can.

Yeah, I somehow missed that bit at the end.

BTW Vulx sounds like an interesting amendment but I can't seem to find what it is, besides volcanic. I guess that's in the name. I don't really like amendment mysteries. What is the product and what is the process?

Alright, I'm going to use this as sort of a "this is my answer" to this concern. Tagging a few folks, hopefully they don't mind.

Vulx is not a mysterious amendment, and I'll explain the difference in terms of the product itself here, in what I will call Part I of my Morning Diatribe: A Memoir.

There's no "spooky science" about paramagnetism or the energy fields of Earth or 2-D torsion ions involved in the explanation of Vulx. The things that make it work can be measured, precisely. While I don't discount the idea the lofty mystique of the mystery amendments could be true, it's so very, very far from this that there really is no comparison in approach. The mystery amendments win you over with woo. Manna, nectar of life, hydra-sonic polarity inducing valence bond. Nothing that can be actively measured, some things which aren't even real.

I can tell you that Vulx has a very high adsorption capacity, very high surface area, a very high cation exchange capacity, and the ability to retain a lot of water. Not only can they be measured, but the logical conclusion from combining those things is that it would be a really freakin' awesome amendment.

Yes, our ingredients and some of our processing steps are proprietary, but there's no woo in the terms I use to describe it. "Nanotech" would be the closest thing, but the process to make it into this fine powder is literally called nanotech milling.

Vulx is Clean Green Certified, too, so even if you don't quite know what is in it, you can be sure that it's not harmful to your plants. The Fertilizer and Agriculture Gods™ have deemed my current ingredients list satisfactory: volcanic rock dust.

-----
Part 2 of My Morning Diatribe: A Memoir - International Man of Mystery (or is he?)

The word mysterious as used in your comment has a very negative connotation, but even ignoring that connotation and taking it at face value it's inaccurate in a broad sense.

One of the first things I did when I started Vulx was send a sample to literally the biggest cannabis publication out there (this one) to be reviewed. And you can feel free to ask Teddy - I made sure to be very clear that I was prepared for, and expected, honesty. Che sera, sera.

Recently I sent a sample to @beez0404 and they asked me a question about the thread they were starting. Here is my exact response:

As far as the thread goes, don't feel like you have to ask me for permission to say or post anything - even if it goes poorly for whatever reason.

Being honest and authentic is of the utmost importance to me, so I cannot in good conscience give you any sort of recommendations on your thread at all.

Just do what you think is best and makes you happy.
:Namaste:

I sent Vulx to some of the most active people on this site - @Pbass , @Emilya , @TurboBucket , probably some others I'm sorry if I forgot you - no coffee yet. Those three are such good growers that at various points growers that manage tens of thousands of square feet of canopy space complimented their plants and journals. I didn't choose them because I want to keep Vulx a secret so that people will spend enough on $30 orders to pay the bills. I gave it to them because they're great growers and could showcase Vulx's capability to help me on my mission to be a staple product for commercial cultivations especially.

Frequently I post photos of myself and the product on-site at commercial cultivations - as recently as just this morning.

None of that is very mysterious!

The key difference here is that I have IP that needs to be protected, not hidden.

Anyway, thank you for coming to my TedxTalk.

My gosh don't lump me in with those two! Because I believe in full disclosure also, I will tell you I am really as imprecise, lazy, pig headed and mostly ignorant as a grower can be.

I can't quantify the benefit to my yield due to this. I pull anywhere from a ounce and a half to 4 ounces a plant.

I have lots of problems. Too many daughters too close together gives me a endless endless parade of low grade insect infestations, poor ventilation, bad light penetration. I don't measure rh or temp, I have major extra light exposure and missed feeding mistakes regularly.

Due to the above, the only thing I can be 100% certain of is when I eff up with the water Vulx has my back. I gotta go full on braindead (unfortunately this is a recent picture) to get this:

IMG_20200324_092452497.jpg

Edit:. That's actually not a Vulxed plant, for illustration purposes only. I had clone overspill that went into 2 gal pots for this run, saving my last buckets till I get my shit together!

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_092452497.jpg
    IMG_20200324_092452497.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 153
That was one of the biggest advantages to Vulx I found in my grows. It honestly gives you a buffer against human or system error. My pump ate itself and clogged my drippers, I didn't notice for a couple of days. The vulx plants never missed a beat, the others suffered slightly. For ease of use there's nothing better, weigh it out, mix it in, grow on!

Yeah PBass I know you didn't go all sciency and compare and that's fine! No worries.

The post was less of a direct response, and more of a response to the (increasingly fewer) folks that allege I am in that category.

Really those woo amendments have made my life a lot harder by legit scamming people so that getting in with someone with Vulx is like this long drawn out process because of them.

I have received my Kauai Electric seeds from Hawaii. I'll probably pop some in a month. I wanna get my other plants about ready to flip before I start these. My whole basement is torn apart right now because my furnace went out this past week and I had to tear down the grow and move it to a backroom upstairs so the furnace guy could work. So, until I get the basement back up and running, I'm limited on space. It's actually a good thing though, because my basement facility construction had stalled a bit. Now I am motivated to get it back on track.

Back
Top Bottom