Yeah those rats like to party alright. I've got many types of critters living around my cabin these days. It's been so cold that they're all migrating to the shelter. As long as we find the balance and they stick to the fringes and leave me the center, and Do Not Wake Me Up Early, I'm happy having them around. I've been away so much I think they've got no idea that it's actually my place not theirs-now when I show up they look at me like 'wtf are you doing here?'

Been too busy dealing with the big rat to worry about the little ones much.
Weird how much other people's energy can affect us. Lately this beautiful spot where I work has become a sort of dark zone. Stepping out of it is like going through an airlock- emerging to a different planet. All because of one person's insecurity really, if you boil it down to the basics. It's kind of like being around a smug little schoolyard bully- they just need to bring everyone down with them. And if you ever let them get on top of you- watch out- they'll feed on that like a hungry shark, and despise you for it at the same time.
Won't be much longer and we'll be done with it though- we're mostly just laughing about it - but it's been stressful.
Yeah truth be told I won't shed a tear if our departure causes him some stress- he's sure caused us a lot already. But I don't even care- the best revenge, if you want to call it that, that you can take on people like this is just to leave them to their misery and move on to things that make you happy. Give them nothing to grab on to, just smile and move on. I've spent many years tangling with a toxic personality, and at the end of the day- it was mostly just a waste of time- they only feed off the attention and bring you down, and it goes nowhere.
So yeah...blah blah blah... time to move on for now.

So- re the grow - Skybound, conditions aren't ideal, but they're not bad, and life is so busy that I'm best putting my energies into maintaining for now. The place could use a big cleanup and a coat of paint. I've got a new filter and fan sitting there waiting for me to have time to put it in. I need to get some more movement fans- that'll help combat the mould. I also need to straighten out the rats nest of wiring that has developed, and organize things a little.
RH is very high here and I can't change that- I draw fresh air from the humid outside world. During lights out I have a mid sized dehumidifier running that keeps the RH pretty stable, even though it's still too high.
I'm best to grow strains that are mould resistant, keep the air moving in there, and work around it.
Most of all my grow suffers from lack of time. Automation like you're working on would be awesome, but I don't like to open a fresh can of worms unless I'm pretty sure I can get to the bottom. And that seems like an especially large can full. Something for me to start thinking about though- what you're set on accomplishing is amazing- just seems daunting when I'm at the very bottom of the learning curve looking up. And I can think of about a thousand other things that need attention.

Foxtailing is just something that the Mama Thai does at around 9 or 10 weeks. Puts out a bunch of puffs of new pistils. If I leave the plant too long- like 14+ weeks- it will grow a different sort of foxtail- do a sort of leafy reveg thing. But the earlier ones are the harmless sort.

I'm not a big fan of FTs. Just before you're about to start flush, those sneaky bastards push out and change everything. Do I chop when the original trics are 10% amber or do I wait a little longer for the FTS to ripen some? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't FTs more prone to Sativas than Indicas?

Also remember you commented last page about pineapple chunk. Was your experience with the strain bad? I got a pack with my last order of beans as I really want to try something fruity. A little added research (after I ordered of course) showed that P Chunk is crossed with Cheese/Skunk. Some 420 reading suggests that cheese is a highly potent Indica, but like yourself, I greatly favor a good Sativa high. Strong body stones make me paranoid and sometimes I get fits of apnea which really sets me over the edge. My previous attempt of Pchunk didn't go anywhere cause none of the beans germed.

I still have a ways to go with automation. I have all the basics accomplished and in use, but I anticipated the really cool shit to begin once I make the dosing machine, and I just finished the code for a single pump yesterday. After that, just gotta track down some electronic water valves, and the PH & PPM probes and circuits. After that, there won't be anything left to want.

Hi weasel, dropped in earlyer to day, 25 done, looking forward to the next 75 pages, im taking a seat, good luck with your pest problems, both small and big critters ;)
Also living north of polarcirkel european side, her days are getting brighter and longer now :)

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Beautiful trees Weasel! I've been checking your journal out for awhile now and just wanted to let you know what a great job you're doing! Keep it up bro and I'll be sure to tag along!

** Everything I say and/or post is merely for entertainment purposes. All post and/or pictures are fictional and for research and study. **

"...Aim for the moon...even if ya miss you'll still hit the stars..."

My 1st indoor grow - Skywalker OG Kush 5x5 ScrOG
Skywalker OG Kush (CFL & HPS) HELP! | Grasscity Forums

I'm not a big fan of FTs. Just before you're about to start flush, those sneaky bastards push out and change everything....aren't FTs more prone to Sativas than Indicas?

....about pineapple chunk. Was your experience with the strain bad? P Chunk is crossed with Cheese/Skunk. Some 420 reading suggests that cheese is a highly potent Indica, but like yourself, I greatly favor a good Sativa high. Strong body stones make me paranoid and sometimes I get fits of apnea which really sets me over the edge. My previous attempt of Pchunk didn't go anywhere cause none of the beans germed.

Yeah some of the sativas tend to foxtail and push out large amounts of fresh pistils just when you think it's time for them to start winding down. But, a foxtail meaning any sort of pointy tufts sticking out, they'll also foxtail with leafy stuff if I leave them too long. The Thai strains tend to grow a ridiculous looking long pointy tip- kind of like a single foxtail out the end. If I snip it off they grow into impressive bud blob shapes, but send tufts of pistils out in random spots.

My experience with the PC isn't 'bad' exactly but it's a pain in the ass. I've complained about it quite a bit. It's possible that there are better phenos than I have, because I've seen other people grow it with no issues. So your experience will probably vary.

I've never grown an untopped PC. And after bad experiences of it flopping down on the ground everywhere, I stopped trying to grow it without a screen. I think maybe if I grew one untopped (or only topped once), especially if it was from seed, it might hold its shape better and not be such a bushy nightmare.

My biggest issue with it is mould but that should be easily solved for most people. Other than that- it's just a really undignified plant. It's sort of a thin floppy vine-like thing that can't support its own buds- so I have to scrog it. It just lays on the screen, looking like crap most of them the time, getting stickier and stickier, sending out eye-watering fumes. I hate touching it without gloves- it's like fresh epoxy glue and my hands and anything else that touches it will stink for the next day and a half at least.
It usually looks ok during veg but takes a lot of thinning and trimming in flower to even begin to ease its tangley bushiness- which is kind of like trimming a glue plant. It pretty much always looks mangy and shitty.
Buds are like leafy cotton candy goo and take a lot of trimming work to make them look even halfway respectable. On the plus side they add a lot to the hash trimmings collection.

The smoke is strong indica. It's ok for indica stuff. I find it a struggle to deal with but I've smoked small amounts and survived ok. People who like that sort of knock you on your ass effect just Love it. Which is the only reason I'm still growing it.
Funny I never thought to look up the PC genetics. It totally reminds me of the Critical Cheese I'm growing - that same sticky, sticky, floppy appearance- though the CC is more manageable and much less prone to mould.
My next attempt to replace the PC, to fill the kickass strong indica niche, will be the Chocolate Mint OG. If that doesn't work out I may dump the PC anyway and just run the CC. Just trying to produce some seeds of it first, which I keep screwing up.

Thanks Arctic and ET. Welcome. And thanks/apologies to the other people I haven't replied to. It's been a scramble to even keep up with my own journal lately.

Hey, Weasel. Looking good. That MT is sensational. Jealous!
Sux about the PC; still tons of bud on it, at least.. The "dead" parts definitely look "dead", as opposed to moldy... That's something!
Hope the Choc Mint works out!!
And your Rat is defo into your stash... My eyes go exactly that colour; it's a dead giveaway!

Not to mention the smoke coming out his mouth... Nice of him to blow outdoors, at least...
But it would seem you have The Joker hiding out in your roof also.... Better call Batman!

I hear yah about the Sativas. The mystery sativas I have, both seeded and clones are more like sticky, invasive vines than they are cannibus. They also eat and drink much more than the indica-sativa hybrids. 6 weeks under flower and still no sign of preflowers, even tho under the same lighting as the others.

I'm going to cut the two mystery Sativas up for the herb bin today, and use the room for my Auto Berry's, which have just about hit the lights in the smaller unit. I have had to make a choice, and have lost patience with the Sativas.

I'll never give up on the sativas AK Gramma, now that I've found a high without all the weird side effects that indicas give me. But I know what you mean about some of the challenges.

Found some sort of little grain and seeds stash-pile upstairs in my house when I got back last night. Someone's been working on moving in here while I'm away...

So I had to laugh at myself- I figured out the answer to a mini-puzzle that was developing. Some of my clones have been occasionally crisping up and dying on me. It was sort of weird because it would only happen once in a while over the last year, and only to a few clones at one end or other of my cloning tray.
I posted about the issue once in the past and AK suggested low humidity- but there's not really any such thing as low humidity around here.

The problem got worse over the last few weeks and about a week ago I had a whole tray full die off on me. They just turn a strange blue-green colour and dry right up.
But the last couple big die-offs sort of coincided with me trying out some 3% peroxide solution in the clones. So I just assumed I'd screwed up with the peroxide, and started new batches.

IMG_92132.JPG

I got back last night and almost the whole tray full was dead, again. Got suspicious and checked the bulb I'm using. Lol- here it is- a UV bulb for keeping reptiles toasty. I've been frying the poor things.

IMG_92164.JPG

The funny thing is, I've had that bulb in there for over a year! :rofl: My cloner is way down on the floor behind a bunch of crap. I had two cfls above it and this one was always off to the side a little as a little extra light. I got the lamp and bulb from the secondhand store and was in a hurry, never even looked at it other than to think 'duh, big cfl' - just hung it in there and left it. A few weeks ago I snatched the main cloning cfl bulb for something else, and started using this one as my main cloning bulb.
This whole time I've been burning an extra 20W power just to give my clones a suntan.
The other side of the lamp has a picture of a lizard on it. :rofl:

So kids- remain vigilant. Don't do what I do.

I really do need to get some cuttings going asap- I'm holding back a bunch of things I want to flower cause I want to know I've got the clone situation sorted first.

The perlite cloner tray is a concept I got from Tead and has generally worked better than all the other methods I've used. Thanks Tead. Scuze the mess...

IMG_92232.JPG

There's a 'medical' type heating pad on the floor, and then a tray of coco which works as a sort of buffer to even out the heat from the pad. Inside the tray of coco is sitting another tray which is full of perlite about 3" deep. It has a couple holes drilled in one end about an inch up from the bottom- so I can pour water in there once in a while and it won't over-fill.
Obviously the coco isn't necessary in itself- I just wanted something to help absorb the warmth and diffuse it around the tray of perlite, and a tray to catch the runoff with.
I can tell when cuttings are rooted by their appearance, and by how they feel if I tug on them. Then I dig them out with a spoon and plant them. This is pretty much a system I can throw cuttings in and leave. Yes it's very rustic but it's worked better than all the other cloning contraptions I've made. The magic in the perlite is that it tends to stay at a nice even moisture level. You can't over water it.
I top up with water about once a week. No more dealing with little rockwool cubes or pissing around with the aeorocloner. I'll sterilize and reuse the perlite sometime in the future.

I never would have thought to check the bulb :rofl: wouldn't have an issue with resin production on them at least :) as long as they don't crisp up first that is :rofl: Nice save on that mate :thumb: Love the perlite idea too, if I didn't have my cloner sitting in the corner id defo think about going that route compared to others :)

Glad it's not just me then. I'm amazed I didn't notice the issue sooner. I always thought the light from that bulb looked funny. That's why I just used it as backup. Yes the perlite is a great system since I'm not around much. Rockwool was impossible for me to keep at the right moisture level. I used coco for quite a while but it's easier to overwater.
A seedling heat pad with thermostat would be slightly better but that's about $150 for me, and the medical style one was about 25 cents at the secondhand store.
I'm thinking more and more of looking at automation like Skybound. Reality is I don't have time to get too deep into that right now. But if there was such a thing as a controller that could sense the moisture level and activate the pump to water when needed- I could use any medium for cloning. And I'm sure the technology is there. Always a tough call whether to throw more energy into something or to stay simple and low tech.

I got the lamp and bulb from the secondhand store and was in a hurry, never even looked at it other than to think 'duh, big cfl' - just hung it in there and left it.

SH*T!!

i have *TWO* different lamps i got secondhand, each w/CFL bulbs that came in them....

*running off to check them* THANK YOU WEASELMAN

I'm thinking more and more of looking at automation like Skybound. Reality is I don't have time to get too deep into that right now. But if there was such a thing as a controller that could sense the moisture level and activate the pump to water when needed- I could use any medium for cloning. And I'm sure the technology is there. Always a tough call whether to throw more energy into something or to stay simple and low tech.

Yes, there is a moisture sensor, though I don't have need for it in my rooms, I just feed a planned schedule. From what I've read though, the moisture sensors are very basic projects and I bet there's at least 3 good tutorials on the web for it. Something like that is simple (circuit wise). Just a micro controller, a relay circuit (for the water pump) and the moisture sensor. The code would be pretty basic too. Front to back, I bet you could build that for less than $50.

I move like a sloth when it comes to rearranging things in the grow. But I'm definitely going to slither towards thinking about maybe looking at some of that automated stuff- just for fun. Wtf- this is mostly all for fun anyway. I mean- if I put half the effort into 'work' that I put into my grow, I'd be rich. So I must be having fun. :hmmmm:

Plus you get to watch the low tech take on a mind of it's own, and evolve itself into higher tech.
:thedoubletake:

Lol. I was thinking the exact opposite of this. :rofl: Knowing this place I live in- I'd be buying high tech gadgets and before six months go by they'll be held together with duct tape and parts from the garbage dump cause that's what's available. Watching high tech devolve into low tech.

Most of the time I'm surprised this whole mess is even functioning. Not only am I hardly ever there- I've made things sort of complicated for myself. Things are ticking along well enough- but I'm really starting to realize that I just have too many strains right now. Where it's causing real trouble is figuring out the logistics of getting them into flowering. They're either too small to put in- or (five minutes later) they've become too big for veg but I don't have a space in flowering. Juggling this many different things is turning out to be challenging. I counted 18 strains and I don't know how many plants.
In veg I have Strawberry Blue, Afghan x Black Domina, Peyote Purple, Lemon Venom, Malawi, Critical Cheese, Mama Thai, Pineapple Chunk, Chocolate Mint, Honduras, Golden Tiger, CBD Therapy, Panama, and both of the three-sativa grafted plants. And various clone duplicates kicking around of most of these plants. Also the cloning tray full of cuttings which has been giving me headaches lately.

In flowering there are two Critical Cheeses, a Pineapple Chunk, and a CBD Therapy. In the dtw section under the hexapus there are two Pineapple Chunk x Mama Thai, a mystery Critical Cheese cross, a Honeysuckle, a Delhi Friend, and a Jack Herer x Cheese.
Also somewhere in there is the tiny P Chunk clone I was going to pollinate for seeds.
And stashed far away in its own little grow room is the other tiny hermied P Chunk that I sprayed with colloidal silver. Not sure that one is working- I should have sprayed it for longer because the nanners didn't turn out to be as numerous as I thought they'd be.

I've pretty much managed to extricate myself from the work situation. But getting out and moving a couple years worth of accumulated stuff is taking up all my time now. Still hoping the guy might pay because that would be super helpful but... still worth it to get out cause that guy turned out to be pretty toxic.
Anyway... hopefully I'll have more time for the plants, within a month or so. Maybe.
I do think I'd be best to dump some of these strains. But which ones ??!!

Back
Top Bottom