Colloidal silver question

Not a bad idea, adding some sort of surfactant to the mix. Maybe I’ll add some in tomorrow. The STS recipe I use recommends it but I keep forgetting.

Tried to take some photos of flowering.

Here is the right side with the LEDs on. There are 10 or 12 plants on that side right now. The older ones you can see in back with damaged leaves are victims of my previous mixes. Over the last 4 or 5 weeks I’ve managed to avoid any major arguments with the grow devils.

and part of the left.

The LEDs give sort of a flat cool tone that I can’t seem to adjust into anything I really like.

The HPS washes the colour out too but has a warmer tone.

In the very back corner you can see the Critical Plus which I chopped tonight. Its main stem snapped under the weight of its buds.
It’s not really my kind of smoke but some friends of mine like it so much that I have reluctantly kept it around.

The one I chopped tonight was definitely the nicest one yet and had that ultra-gooey wet sticky feeling to it.

Damn why does it always have to look so phallic... I’d better at least get my hand out of there next time.....
Nanners everywhere and that’s an extremely good reason to get rid of this one right now. So far they haven’t caused any seeds. But obviously we can’t go on together like this and her days are numbered.

Once I started harvesting that plant I understood how it could collapse under its own weight. It really was heavy. Nice and sticky too and the two don’t usually go together. I don’t think I can make it stop growing nanners though, and I’m pretty sure that was the only seed I had of that strain.

Past 4:20 am here. Better have a little nap.... zzzz

Ha ha. I made it using dry sift through a bubble bag. But then treated it with my special heating in the oven strategy to make it gooey. The hash has to be pretty high grade already. Then heat it up to about 150°C also known as 300° F.
I can’t really say for how long but maybe at least 10 minutes of it actually being at that temperature. Those are getting into vaping temps so your house is going to turn into a vaporizer somewhat. Look for the hash to be somewhat cooked or melted looking on the outside. And yeah that hash and the pan are going to be super fucking hot so be careful or you’ll burn yourself. Ask me how I know..

I first discovered it by putting it in the oven to warm it and then getting distracted by a long phone call outside. I walked back in and was instantly stoned and had to somehow get a hold of the superheated pan full of hash and get it outside while I could still function.

That time when I first discovered it was definitely a bit extreme overkill in the cooking time and temperatures but it was a good discovery because it turned the hash, which wouldn’t stick together for me, into something very sticky.

Here is the post from that time @bobrown14 - plus the posts after

The girlfriend and ( more importantly ) the truck finally returned, so we went and grabbed a little peat today. She checked the beach on the way here, and claims there wasn‘t really any seaweed on it today, but she did bring a little bit of kelp.

So basically the landscape here for many miles around is formed of - peat
I took the truck a few hundred feet down the road and threw a plank across the ditch and started digging. I tried to get some of the oldest deepest stuff. After getting about 5 feet down I think I was near hitting hardpan, but it is bloody difficult to dig that deep in such a narrow hole.

It was entertaining to be standing over, and in, a ditch full of slowly flowing water, while right next to it I dup a deep hole which had no water in it at all. I don’t understand how the water is just running along the surface like that but maybe it’s formed some sort of slimy barrier as a ditch liner. :hmmmm:

Hopefully this is enough peat for my organic mix. Pretty sure it is but if not I can just take the wheelbarrow out for a little more.

Oh yeah she also forgot to look for crab shells but these little details I do not need a truck to haul. For that matter I can paddle out and set a trap near my place and it will be full of crabs within an hour or two - so maybe I’ll just do that and use the entire crabs, instead of shell hunting.

Then I just need to buy a couple more ingredients and figure out how the hell I’m going to mix it all together.

Ordered my Atreum lights tonight :battingeyelashes:

Thanks. I hope you do too. It seems important to like the place you call home.
So true... We go into the woods and get leaf mold thats like 5-10 years old. The older stuff is basically worm castings from tree leaves. The the less decayed stuff on top is the mold.

Gotta use whats local. Its gonna be the best.

That kelp you going to rinse it and let it dry or just pile it up and let it compost a little bit?

I usually let it lay around for a few days so the rain washes some of the salt out, then pile it up on the garden. In this case- hmmm.... I definitely won’t dry it. I suppose just try to dice it up a little and mix it with the peat and other ingredients to cook. I’m getting pretty close now- should have all the ingredients by next week. I am scratching my head over what to use to mix it up and cook it in though. It will be at least 150 gallons of material I think. Maybe I’ll build a plywood box inside my greenhouse for the purpose.

Celt’s recipe calls for 30 gallons of kelp. Considering that a mass of kelp is largely air, does this seem ok @The Celt ? Those are ten gallon pots.

Morning @Weaselcracker ,

I am not familiar with that type of kelp, the type I generally see around here is the flat ribbon type. Best guess without hefting a piece, you can generally assume that any wet green matter is going to be 90% water and 10% actual plant matter, so if those 3 pails weigh ~ 300lbs, you have your 30lbs dry weight, or near enough.

If memory serves, I put that recipe together under the same principles I use making my own mixes, so it should be a very nutrient dense mix, I don’t like using the word HOT because that generally has negative connotations. Organic mixes are really only HOT when they are cooking and once cooked they won’t burn your plants.

In theory, there should be enough N : P : K : Mg : Ca to grow 2lbs of dry/cured bud per 5 gallons of mix. That’s typically over double what I have ever heard of being yielded from 5 gallons of soil, so you should not run out of nutes even if you ran the soil 2X without adding to it.

The kelp, rabbit crap and other things we included, will provide more of the micro-nutes than the plants will ever use.

The one thing I have found from experience, and recently read research on HOW plants grown in LOS obtain nutrients, has lead me to believe that’s it hard, if not impossible, to make a soil too rich for cannabis and ratios of K/Ca/Mg are much less concerning than in chemical fertilizer fed plants. As such, I tend to work with the ratios of NPKCaMg found in hemp and don’t even try to be exact, just ballpark. Seems to work well in my soils :rofl:

The true test will be if I can get my Living Organic Solution growing plants. Then I can do some testing to see if adjusting those ratios has any affect, positive or negative. Things should happen much faster in solution than soil.

A for cooking it, if you pile it on a tarp and then cover it with a second tarp, that’s all you really need. I just use those big totes because I have them and can get more free if I need :)

OK @The Celt thanks for the info. For the record here is what you said in your recipe.

Potassium requirements are 360g for this mix. Using bull kelp, best estimate would be 30 gallons of it raw or half that of the sludge you say it becomes.

So given that what I have here looks like about 40 gallons in the loose form, I’ll assume that I have enough. Unless you tell me different. It should be easy enough for me to find more.

It is a seasonal plant of course, so especially with the bull kelp variety it tends to grow very long, very quickly, over the summer and then die off somewhat in the fall before washing up on the beach. But it does grow all year around to some extent.

This kind I showed is what we call Giant Kelp. Giant perennial kelp • Macrocystis integrifolia

I actually prefer the bull kelp. Its basically like tubes of jelly-like stuff that break down to slime within days. The giant kelp is more messy and has some tougher parts.

I have to do a little bit of driving today or tomorrow and I’ll take some totes in the car and see if I can find some. It’s not really the season for it though

. Is kelp even a veg?

hmmm... Not sure. Sometimes here we cut it in rings and pickle it like dill pickles. Actually very tasty. So maybe that makes it a vegetable?

Awesome looking start to the soil build!
I’ve only heard of using kelp as a dried ingredient for soils. We sun-dry ours and crush it if using in a soil mix. Otherwise we do what you mentioned and just put it on top of the beds.

I’m interested to see how mixing the still wet stuff in the soil mix turns out. It would be less hassle for sure.

Wonderful looking peat!

if the soil cooking process goes anything the way Celt described it, I think it will break down very easily. I normally throw it on my garden in the spring and pile it right on top of the rhubarb at a time it already has small shoots coming up. As long as the kelp is not salty it loves it.
The giant kelp is a little bit more of an unknown because I usually use bull kelp. But it’s pretty close to being the same stuff, mostly just a different shape and size. I think it should break down no problem. But I’ll know over the next few days as it sits there in those pots.

if those 3 pails weigh ~ 300lbs, you have your 30lbs dry weight, or near enough.

Just to clarify. In your recipe you said 30 gallons - not 30 pounds. Right?

Back
Top Bottom