Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

re: Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

Welcome back glittergreen!
:thumb:

Sunmaster doesn't make 'warm deluxe' at 600. 400 and 1000, but I have three 600w eballasts. I have also, one heavy-ass old 400 for HPS or CMH retro but it's hot & heavy, and doesn't relight from a short power-out without a thorough cooling at least 15 minutes. I have to hire a beefy boy whenever I need that thing moved, it's heavy.
Hor Deluxe claims 40% more blue. HPS mostly has no blue in their spectrum, and 40% more than nothing is nothing. For extreme price. Fancy lube for insertion is extra. I can't recall an objective demonstration of superior results from whore-deluxe bulbs. High price and sales hype is not demonstration of high quality.

Like with cars, for instance: Ford Crown Victoria performed very well in extreme conditions, reliably. Mercedes may be a bit better, but cost more than twice as much. My choice when money always matters? My feet will never wear Air Jordans, I'd rather mix a metaphor. Or three :)

one heavy-ass old 400 for HPS or CMH retro but it's hot & heavy, and doesn't relight from a short power-out without a thorough cooling at least 15 minutes. I have to hire a beefy boy whenever I need that thing moved, it's heavy.
I had one of those! What a pain in the ass, and it wasn't cheap...at local hydro store BEFORE they finally got a crew in there that is much more knowledgeable...But if I want it straight from the horses mouth, it's :420:

Hey Xlr8,
Them pictures are cool, what sort of microscope is that? Might have to invest in one of them.

Hi JBC - Thanks!

The scope is just a cheapy - it's branded under many different names, but if you search for "20x - 800x digital USB microscope" on Am@zon, or eB@y, you'll probably find it. Celestron makes some nice ones too, and they may be a little better quality (haven't tried them). I'm not sure what my brand was (Neewer maybe?). There are probably nicer ones, but this one does what I'm looking for just fine. I think they're only $30-40 if you look around. I got mine from Mrs. Clause as a X-mas gift. ;)

Hey Xlr8,
Yeh seems to do the job fine! Yeah think i'l have to get one of them, obviously they are great for harvest time, but the pictures!!!!! They worth one just for cool Alien pictures.

Hey XL,

Just thought I'd drop in and let you know i'm a still watching your journal :) I hope you had a great Holiday season and Happy New Year!

Kindest regards

Nice present! All I got was some underwear hahaha! Yeah I agree with gator very thick trich's. :bravo:

Hey Gittergreen -

Well, just take the money you "won't" have to spend on underwear in the future, and use it toward a scope, perhaps? Haha, I'm the master of justifying things I really want. :)

Really great seeing you around again, buddy. :thumb:

Sunmaster doesn't make 'warm deluxe' at 600. 400 and 1000, but I have three 600w eballasts. I have also, one heavy-ass old 400 for HPS or CMH retro but it's hot & heavy, and doesn't relight from a short power-out without a thorough cooling at least 15 minutes. I have to hire a beefy boy whenever I need that thing moved, it's heavy.
Hor Deluxe claims 40% more blue. HPS mostly has no blue in their spectrum, and 40% more than nothing is nothing. For extreme price. Fancy lube for insertion is extra. I can't recall an objective demonstration of superior results from whore-deluxe bulbs. High price and sales hype is not demonstration of high quality.

Like with cars, for instance: Ford Crown Victoria performed very well in extreme conditions, reliably. Mercedes may be a bit better, but cost more than twice as much. My choice when money always matters? My feet will never wear Air Jordans, I'd rather mix a metaphor. Or three :)

I'm with you on the "blues" in their HPS bulbs - it's such a small amount that it's probably insignificant. I run them for their reputation regarding holding their brightness over time, mostly.

But, their "Blue" metal halide series - which will really give you sticker shock - boasts a rather amazing spectrum, dramatically better than anything else I've seen in a HID lamp. I'm still waiting to see what I think of MH light being added during bloom, but the spectrum on their "blue" MH bulbs really caught my eye.

Here's the spectrum for their HPS, for reference. I agree, that the small amount of blues (25% more compared to what!) is pretty insignificant overall in this bulb - though I really am not educated on it enough to say for certain, personally:
shps.jpg

Now, this is the spectrum for their "Blue" metal halide bulbs. If the goal is to add more spectrum and get closer to sunlight, I think this would be a good start. If there's a better looking HID spectrum out there, I haven't seen it yet. However, it has a really poor reputation with digi ballasts (though there's a warranty I believe) and it's really pricey for a short-lifed MH bulb. The question is, how valuable is the broader spectrum... if at all?:
spectrum_chart_blue.jpg

Hey XL,

Just thought I'd drop in and let you know i'm a still watching your journal :) I hope you had a great Holiday season and Happy New Year!

Kindest regards

Hey Naphtali!

Great to know you're still around. I did have a great holiday season - hope you did too. Happy new year my friend! :)

Things are going well, but it's crowded as hell!

I bent several branches a couple of days ago, and they were almost all "righted" the next day. I may not be getting rough enough, but they also sure bounced back quick! Even some that split a little, bounce right back up.

I've also been plucking leaves whenever I see a leaf pair developed under it. With this much insane density, I need to keep on pluckin' (and bending). This round is mostly about finding a long-term keeper or two that I like, so I'm intrigued by the idea of trying to squeeze it all in. Not sure if Bubba will play along though, unless she starts stretching more. She's INDICA. She also hasn't shown ANY interest in side branching. Which, might actually be her savior so far. She just wants to grow her 4 branches, with nugs along the main stem by the looks of it. I'm insane for letting this crowding continue, but I can't resist leaving it for now. Sigh.

I'll try to get pics soon - we've got some pistils poppin' finally. Everything's female, for sure. We're at about day 16 or so, bloom. Looking nice and healthy so far. :)

wow X, all ladies ey? :) I'm sure you can handle them ;)
I'm don't comment much, but I'm always lurking around watching your beautiful girls grow. :adore:

I wanted to share something I read last week with you X. I picked up the latest issue of high times and there's a big article on fully automated systems controlled by smart devices. It definitely became my fantasy. Total control of your tent from the convenience of your smart phone, ipad, or any tablet I guess :). Lots of pricey sensors and controllers though :(. The innovator is also a sponsor here I believe, Stealth Grow. It was a very interesting read even though I can't afford any of it at the moment :blushsmile:

Things are going well, but it's crowded as hell!

I bent several branches a couple of days ago, and they were almost all "righted" the next day. I may not be getting rough enough, but they also sure bounced back quick! Even some that split a little, bounce right back up.

I've also been plucking leaves whenever I see a leaf pair developed under it. With this much insane density, I need to keep on pluckin' (and bending). This round is mostly about finding a long-term keeper or two that I like, so I'm intrigued by the idea of trying to squeeze it all in. Not sure if Bubba will play along though, unless she starts stretching more. She's INDICA. She also hasn't shown ANY interest in side branching. Which, might actually be her savior so far. She just wants to grow her 4 branches, with nugs along the main stem by the looks of it. I'm insane for letting this crowding continue, but I can't resist leaving it for now. Sigh.

I'll try to get pics soon - we've got some pistils poppin' finally. Everything's female, for sure. We're at about day 16 or so, bloom. Looking nice and healthy so far. :)
looks like we will be harvesting right around the same time X,grats on the ladies bro:)

wow X, all ladies ey? :) I'm sure you can handle them ;)
I'm don't comment much, but I'm always lurking around watching your beautiful girls grow. :adore:

I wanted to share something I read last week with you X. I picked up the latest issue of high times and there's a big article on fully automated systems controlled by smart devices. It definitely became my fantasy. Total control of your tent from the convenience of your smart phone, ipad, or any tablet I guess :). Lots of pricey sensors and controllers though :(. The innovator is also a sponsor here I believe, Stealth Grow. It was a very interesting read even though I can't afford any of it at the moment :blushsmile:

Hey iSmokes!

Glad to know you're still around buddy. I love those systems and the amount of control they allow for, too. But, pricey like you say. I have a feeling that with too much technology, the job becomes taking care of the equipment, instead of taking care of plants. It sure would be nice to have the ability to attend to things while you are out of town though, huh?!

Loving your new man toy btw :thumb: beautiful close-ups.

:thanks:

looks like we will be harvesting right around the same time X,grats on the ladies bro:)

Thank you Jon, though I'm not sure if it's a good thing yet, lol. Might have been a lot easier if there were a male or two in there, as I can't seem to resist trying to squeeze it all in, lol. :)

Damn X I really thought I was subbed to this. Am now. Missed a bunch i'm gonna start reading!

Awesome, welcome Spring! Honestly, I thought you were too! :)

I am in too! Still trying to catch up!!:thumb:

Good point X. It really would change into taking care of equipment rather than plants :laughtwo:
Keep it growing my friend. If I haven't already said this, I hope you had a very merry christmas and a great new year.

Here's to 2013 :passitleft:

I am in too! Still trying to catch up!!:thumb:

Awesome - Welcome CF! Hope your new year is off to a good start! :)

Back
Top Bottom