• Spimp - Whiteberry

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Stealthgrow - White Widow

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Ricorico - Mr. Squirryls Cheese

Votes: 15 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Guidelines have been updated to be a little more specific.
No Photoshop or any other photo editing software. You may resize and crop your photos, however adding text, images and effects are prohibited. This makes it a fair contest for all, as not everyone can afford these programs and/or know how to use them.

Between you guys and our abilities behind the scenes, I think we've been very successful in catching the cheaters and sending a message to those who follow suit. It just isn't fair to those without photo editing skills and software, plus some of the added imagery is detracting from the quality of the photos.

We know we can't please everyone, however after much thought and discussion we believe this is the best choice overall. :thanks:
:Namaste:

I agree the wording is poor. There are many image manipulating tools out there, to state that only one is banned seems ridiculous. How ever if you were to say digital manipulation is banned then that raises the question of how much is too much or is any bad? But if you are simply talking about not allowing distracting elements such as adding text, logos, other images etc that would make sense.

Considering what this is (a photo competition) I always figured this would mean that best(most technically good) photograph would take the prize every time- how ever considering that this is subject competition, meaning that generally the photograph that wins has the best looking subject.So in my opinion to add distracting elements that remove focus from the subject should not be allowed. Most photographers and industry professionals draw the line of photo-manipulating at just passed adjusting levels to actually physically moving or adding elements within the image.

Ill share a little story.

The first time I entered a nug contest, I ran into one of jon705's nug's.
At the time I felt like I got screwed because his pic was under a pink light or toned to pink and made the nug look pink and I felt it was unfair. I never told anyone I just threw a little pity party to myself.
Now I realize it was a very quality nug and that jon705 is a very skilled and talented grower.

Ive never told anyone that, so I hope I didnt offend you jon705. I think you are 20x's the grower I am. And your nug's are always impressive. :)

But I can see how people would get a little peived about the playing field being level. Hopefully this month will be the only month where it could cause problems because I rarely keep my pics after uploading here and I assume some of you may have the same issue this month.

:thanks: 420 for trying to keep things on the up and up. :) :thumb:

Just read the actual rule. It's better, but again the term Photoshopping is extremely vague and should probably read more like

"No photo manipulation . You may use common tools to re-size and adjust you image, however adding text, images and strong/distracting effects are prohibited. "

Considering anyone can find a simple editing program, use instagram, you iphone camera editors etc that last bit is completely un necessary, as for not knowing how to use them that seems a little sad, lowering the bar is not always a good thing. Sure it levels that playing field, but your also creating a competition where your not trying to be the best, not needing to learn more, or do something new. Adobe now offers for FREE it's entire CS2 series, so stepping up so semi pro or hobbyist is not only possible but accessible.

Sorry about the rant, just .02$

No Photoshop or any other photo editing software. You may resize and crop your photos, however adding text, images and effects are prohibited. This makes it a fair contest for all, as not everyone can afford these programs and/or know how to use them.
:thumb:

Just read the actual rule. It's better, but again the term Photoshopping is extremely vague and should probably read more like

"No photo manipulation . You may use common tools to re-size and adjust you image, however adding text, images and strong/distracting effects are prohibited. "

Considering anyone can find a simple editing program, use instagram, you iphone camera editors etc that last bit is completely un necessary, as for not knowing how to use them that seems a little sad, lowering the bar is not always a good thing. Sure it levels that playing field, but your also creating a competition where your not trying to be the best, not needing to learn more, or do something new. Adobe now offers for FREE it's entire CS2 series, so stepping up so semi pro or hobbyist is not only possible but accessible.

Sorry about the rant, just .02$

Perhaps my watermark had a font that was too large, and sparked the interest of people to prohibit it, when for many many months this type of thing has gone un-noticed, and we've had many clear winners who have used a "watermark", but apparently didn't detract from the voters choosing the photo they thought was best. Like he said, isn't this a photographic competition? To say that an individual can navigate the forums, and have the ability to upload a photo to the contest, as well as presumably actually grow the cannabis themself - to say they don't have the money to afford a free program, or doesn't have the knowledge to put a timestamp on a picture with their inept "editing skills", seems like a poor justification. If they added something that actually distracted from peoples eye going to the object we wanted them to see, wouldn't they have just hindered themself in the competition? I do agree that there should be no "added effects" to the image, such as an effect called "Purple Haze", which makes things seem more purple than they actually are,etc.

It doesn't matter who instigated it, something we've been discussing in the back for months. It's impossible to deal with this issue on a case by case basis, as it eats up way too much of our time and energy. This is the only solution we found for everyone overall. :Namaste:

As far as i am concerned its called nug of the month and plant of the month, not best enhanced photo of the month!

If your plant or bud is good enough to enter and win then a simple unedited picture is enough, if not then provide a better entry next time. Ive never edited a picture, i dont even know how too. I dont even think bought meds should count, even though there are some beauties out there, the reason being that someone buys a quality product and takes a pic and gets rewarded for someone elses work. All the entries ive ever entered have been my own grows featured in journals. Its not fair at all to enhance the pic quality and there shouldnt be a need too! If u have to do that then u arent confident in your product!

It doesn't matter who instigated it, something we've been discussing in the back for months. It's impossible to deal with this issue on a case by case basis, as it eats up way too much of our time and energy. This is the only solution we found for everyone overall. :Namaste:

I am totally cool with this. For those who consider themselves camera folk you know you can make your camera do it you will just have to work harder :cheesygrinsmiley:

Just to be clear my first criteria in my choice of NOTM has nothing to do the quality of the picture. I look at all the nugs at the end and the one I wish for most is top on the list. It is only recently and only because the quality has gone way up that I also consider image quality too.

Thank you for putting on this contest 420 Folks

Good luck everyone

Considering what this is (a photo competition)

i thought it was the best nug or plant? not the best ability to take a photo.

If u feel the need to hide behind the best angle or hide the bad spots then dont enter. im not saying dont take a good pic, but i for one want to see the bud or plant as is, with no cropping or enhancing. Its unfair and doesnt show what is really in front of the camera if edited!!!!!!!

If u feel the need to hide behind the best angle or hide the bad spots then dont enter. im not saying dont take a good pic, but i for one want to see the bud or plant as is, with no cropping or enhancing. Its unfair and doesnt show what is really in front of the camera if edited!!!!!!!

Define " Best nug " or "Best plant" Everyone has their own definitions. For some it's what is more visually appealing/aesthetic to look at, for some it's more whether it's a strain they've been dreaming of, or maybe a little bit of both. I definitely agree that "special effects" should not be permitted, but since at the end of the day, all you ever do is end up "looking at these pictures", it really only boils down to what looks best. This is evident in the voting pattern in the previous months. Since we don't actually get to stand in line for a sample of the winning nug at the end...

However I don't agree that if you zoom in on your nug to allow for a better viewing experience of what actually exists that you are hiding behind an inferior product...

I'm thinking of the analogy where you took a picture of a nug from 10 feet away, and all you could visually see was a smudge of a nug. But it was labeled as "Best Weed in Universe", you would just vote for it blindly because it matched your voting criteria. But if we zoomed in on it to reveal what actually existed, than we would be enhancing the image, it is obviously needed to make a fair judgement! So my point is that we're diving into a deeper and deeper world where we need to keep redefining what we think things mean ... I know this is getting a little philosophical, so I'll stop now. And I hope no one is offended by my words, as I am just soley trying to discuss things in a relaxed manner which is what we do in a civilized world.

Thank you for 420 Magazine for hosting these groovy contests, and once again providing a cozy nook to hang out in!
Best of luck to all the contestants this month!
:popcorn:

First I totally agree it is all about the nug or plant... but you got me started so please take this into your consideration.

Most images these days are captured digitally. The device you use to capture it edits the image all on its own. If you know your device well you can set it for the desired result so that no further editing is needed for levels and saturation. I prefer generic settings and to adjust it afterward but it is getting edited one way or the other. I just "tweak" what my camera gives me by default.

Cropping too? Dude! :cheesygrinsmiley: (I am smiling really and jesting a little)

I have uploaded the unedited version of my nug. If you look at both you will see my original entry was cropped so that the nugget was more prominently featured... after all it is all about the nug right?

Anyhow... I feel folks here are stepping up and I think that is awesome!! Some of us work freaking hard on the nugs/plants you see and some put the same passion into the images they make of their ladies and that should be encouraged.

all im saying is if u need to doctor an image then u cant have faith in just whats there in front of u. yes u want to get the best picture, but as far as im concerned the picture should show the whole plant or bud without any mods.

:allgood:

As far as I know no one is talking about doctoring (meaning to edit the truth of the photo, create something new out of something existing, something fasle) I have heard people who have straight out stolen photo, but I've never heard of someone doctoring. Even professional photographers can't always make the beautiful thing in front of them look the same in photos. Even during film days the dark room worked as a checks and balances for things like contrast, exposure, dark and light(curves) and other elements like grain. You couldn't really have a photo without the darkroom process, just the idea of a photograph , the completely intangible with infinite potential.

Which brings me to the point of RAW or digital negative. The best format in which to shoot anything. This way of shooting doesn't actually "make" an image. It creates data of the area that you shot with your camera. It is only when you go to write your file on the pc does it create an image as we see it, and it does it how ever you want. Any millions of ways you want it to look.

I wasn't trying to point at anyone, or offend anyone, but loose rules will only make it more difficult in the future. Also it's hard to edit a photo in anything other than a photo editing program. I'm in this to help people, please don't shrug me off so easily, I have a lot to contribute, and maybe more in this particular area than others, and maybe more than I let on.

Anyways, I was lucky enough to restore this image from the card, but here ya go, an "un edited" photo.
nov_9th_unedited-1.jpg

For some contrast I added the old one

First I totally agree it is all about the nug or plant... but you got me started so please take this into your consideration.

Most images these days are captured digitally. The device you use to capture it edits the image all on its own. If you know your device well you can set it for the desired result so that no further editing is needed for levels and saturation. I prefer generic settings and to adjust it afterward but it is getting edited one way or the other. I just "tweak" what my camera gives me by default.

Cropping too? Dude! :cheesygrinsmiley: (I am smiling really and jesting a little)

I have uploaded the unedited version of my nug. If you look at both you will see my original entry was cropped so that the nugget was more prominently featured... after all it is all about the nug right?

Anyhow... I feel folks here are stepping up and I think that is awesome!! Some of us work freaking hard on the nugs/plants you see and some put the same passion into the images they make of their ladies and that should be encouraged.

And some, apparently, put a great deal of effort into seeking out pictures of nugs others take and grow, too. :thedoubletake:

And some, apparently, put a great deal of effort into seeking out pictures of nugs others take and grow, too. :thedoubletake:

Your photographic and growing skills are beyond reproach, Buckshot. All I have to do is check out your journals to confirm that. :thumb:

Just a heads up everyone, we're adding a new guideline to the contests that prohibit photoshopping your photo entries. So I need to ask those of you who have already entered a photoshopped photo in this months contest, to please re-upload the entered photos minus the photoshopping and send me links to them when you have, so that I can edit your entry posts. For those of you not familiar with what "Photoshop" is, it's the program used to add text, images and effects to an existing image, like your name and avatars.
:thanks:

I PMed you the links, as requested.

Guidelines have been updated to be a little more specific.

Between you guys and our abilities behind the scenes, I think we've been very successful in catching the cheaters and sending a message to those who follow suit. It just isn't fair to those without photo editing skills and software, plus some of the added imagery is detracting from the quality of the photos.

We know we can't please everyone, however after much thought and discussion we believe this is the best choice overall. :thanks:

The last thing I want to be is a pariah. You folks have obviously put considerable thought into your decision. I'm curious, however, how you are going to determine if a picture has been edited or adjusted? Please explain the control process.

Some cases in point: if I remove exif data from a submitted photo to remove GPS coordinates is that a violation of the rules? Is it against the rules to remove exif data from a submitted photo? If I remove the exif data for security reasons, then there is no way to determine if the photo was edited for white balance, brightness, hue, contrast, etc by software. If I put a digital watermark on a photo to prevent turds from stealing my photo, is it ineligible?

Is the new rule that the only acceptable photos are ones taken with a pinhole camera made from an old oatmeal box? If I can take bracket exposures, fiddle with white balance settings on my camera, etc am I a cheater?

I still maintain that I want to see the winning nugs or plants growing and documented in quality on-site journals. I refuse to cast my vote for anything less. Whatever the "rules" are, that is how I determine the way I vote.

Just my opinion. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom