Amy Gardner’s High Brix Dreams

Ok. Except, these are plants:)

Many congrats to my main man InTheShed for another member of the month award :adore:

Congratulations my friend :high-five::cheer::bravo:

Very well deserved and in a bumper month for star nominees too. :ganjamon:

Last night when I went out to check the babies, there were a few gnats flying around the area where they are. We’re treating the whole garden again today. I’m thinking tho that they’re coming in & out the holes in the side of the pot. I wonder if it would work to try and cover those somehow. Any ideas folks?:hmmmm:

Oh and congrats to the other contest winners too!
And anyone who hasn’t perused the photo comp thread yet I highly recommend it. The thread is pretty economical (not much banter between pics ;)) and full of great shots! Three excellent winners this month once again.

:Namaste:

It’s funny, cause they do sell ones for outdoor use here, but you’d have to want no bugs at all. And there are heaps of bugs that are are good! I brought a lady bug into the tent a few weeks ago, and next day found it stuck the the yellow trap :eek: oops! I actually got it off and it seemed kinda ok, just minus a leg :confused: - never mind...

There’s all sorts of gnats here, we’re near a wetlands. But I have noticed they seem to like the peat moss particularly.

I’ve been reading some old posts by buckshot about how he keeps gnats out of his pots. He seems to have had done similar issues a couple of years back.

When you can’t eradicate them, you just have to mitigate on all fronts!

Update: The Outsiders

I’ve been holding out on you with the outside plants. I’m cheating a bit too because I really should have my outdoor journal going for them but 2 journals at once is one too many.

I’ve had a lovely wake n bake this morning - my weekend indulgence - with the GTxNL I grew last summer. It’s changed a lot in the last few months of the cure and I actually think I liked an earlier period a little better. It’s still a wonderful toke, just a bit racier now, or maybe just as racey but without some of the extreme drawing back of the smiling muscles that was so prevalent early on. The 6weeks to 3-4months period of the cure was a fuller experience I think. In the flavours too, it doesn’t taste like chocolate and coffee anymore. It’s at 6-7months now - still an awesome toke of course, and for some the changes would be desirable perhaps. I know many others prefer fresh too, so this whole journey is as much about learning what I like and how that changes, or not, as it is about learning what happens to the plant throughout cultivation, dry and cure. ...Ooops. Rambling. It’s a good toke :ganjamon:

OK so, I am having a “strangest plants I’ve every grown” stage. I’ll add to this, that everything is, or has been, gnat affected which has at times slowed growth to a halt and that perhaps has something to do with these strange plants.

I also have some lingering concerns about my soil mix (dodgy worm castings maybe?) but that’s for another conversation (or not, I may just have to grow out in it this year, see what happens and take it from there - so i’ll delve into that at a later stage)

The Early Miss is at day 65-65. A pretty strange looking cannabis plant. As you’ll see in a min., i’m not actually certain it is an Early Miss. But to start with here’s the little cabbage ;)

Such a weird bud structure, like I’ve never seen before. So leafy and cabbage like! The leaves are very fleshy too and are getting super frosty ... which is probable because there’s no bud to speak of to grab frost on!

Before we get to it’s questionable identity, I have to talk about it’s incredible smell and taste! The smell it gives off it so beautiful and takes me right back to Hawaii ... tropical fruits and frangipani is what comes to mind upon catching the aroma, which is wafting around the garden with heady effect throughout the days. Recently there has been a few taste tests of the leaves as well, frugally as there ain’t many fans. So many beautiful flavours but definitley tropical fruits and all 4 people who have tasted get kiwi fruit, and nectarine. Those 2 flavours are really clear and strong.

All the plant descriptions and images for EM don’t match up that well with what i’m growing. I’d thought that Dutch’s EM that turned out to be a photo might have just been mis labelled, but now I’m thinking this one maybe was. It gets described as having buds with deep purple hue, and tasting like sugary, spicey black pepper with notes of ammonia. So Dutch’s is ticking all those boxes, plus, his looks like the pics around the net of Early Miss.

Mine, however, matches the descriptions for CKS’s Amnesia Haze auto quite nicely so I’m going to guess that maybe I have these seeds instead. This is CKS imagery for Amnesia Haze
F748E172-224D-48B8-AF35-2799302ADC7C.jpeg

That looks a bit more like the cabbage I have growing :laugh:

In any case - strange plant that smells and tastes amazing. Can’t wait to partake of it in the vape, whatever it is!!

SOooo, that was a bit long winded (but it’s me right, what d’ya expect? ;) )

On to the DDA Spog®.

The only distance shot I have of it is this one, it’s on the other side of the EM, which is about 1.5-2’ high, so the Spog is about 1’, bit less.

Apart from it’s Spog®ness, it’s super sturdy, very healthy looking and smells diviiiine :drool:oh man you have no idea... Well, anyone who grows one will know. Like syrup, maple syrup. That’s what the smell makes me think of. I don’t think I’m smelling a maple syrup terp., more that it’s the same kind of syrupy pleasure that the smell of maple syrup brings.

You’ll notice I have pests out there, I know. There’s a few thrips and prolly other things. Predators are rampant as well and we’re int he process of ramping up our IPM practices. It’s all about assisting the balance in the desired directions and keeping the brix up.

These )%*^*!ing gnats dont make that easy.

This DDA pot Will. Not. Dry. Out. :|

So, here’s what I’m going to do. I know that we’re not necessarily supposed to water already wet soil. But this soil has been wet since, like, a month ago and its still wet wet around the bottom - wet to touch. This happened a little bit on the Blue Dream and a big drench sorted it out and it started drying out much better afterwards. So I’m going to give it a nice big TP dunk today and drain it out really well and see if this makes a difference. I nearly culled this one so I might as well experiment with it a bit. It looks like it will give me a nice little cola and a couple of larfs :ganjamon:

Mmmmm... syrupy....:drool:

Onwards! ... here’s the crew for the summer. At various states of vigour. There has been gnat affected stalling for sure here. I’m particularly thinking that the autos are not anywhere near where you’d expect or want autos to be. The others will hopefully recover once they dry out and I can get an actual drench into them. They also have had the odd thrip nymph removed, by fingernail! So these pics are yesterday (in the background you can see what fungus gnat damage looks like on beans trying to come up :rolleyes:). This morning they got (everyone got actually) a weaponised de-stress spray (for thrips and other crawlies). If I can get them through this stage, the photos at least, I’m sure they will all come along just fine :D

The Critical Mass is particularly vigorous - it even snapped low down during some heavy winds and I stood it up, supported it with the Gnat nix, and it healed up beautifully and kept on powering as if nothing had happened :thumb:

CD-1 is the one that has had a few thrips removed. It stalled badly at one point and has some features of new growth i’d Also noticed not eh BD, cant quite describe it - just a bit stunted as the new growth emerges. You can see that the lower part of the stem is quite thin compared to the higher part. I hope this doesn’t cause it issues going forward. After seeing what the giant larvae did to the root of that seedling on the way out (the one that died) and then eyeing the other DDa from that pot just not really grow, I’m a bit concerned for this one. Hopefully a drench soon will get things sorted out for my Bright Light :battingeyelashes:

WW small but sturdy. Plenty of time to take off, fingered crossed.

And the autos (with a friend - we saw the larvae of this lady bug a couple of weeks ago :)).

I think they really should be further along, don’t you? I’m not well experienced with autos so will be happy for someone to tell me otherwise. I plan to train these Shed’style in opposing directions.

I won’t do the 1gal thing again with autos i dont think. Transplanting is gong to be a caper! :eek: Next time i think I’ll sprout them in little seed raisers and get them into the big pot sooner. I’ll be better equipped to comabat the gnats then.

I hope you all enjoyed that trip around the outdoor space :D The Summer grow is gearing up, with a whole different set of challenges to last year, and probably form next year ;).

I appreciate the visits, always, and love having you all to grow with :slide: I’m off to have a cuppa with canna oil out on the deck and enjoy the view. While I train these autos...
image.jpg

Those are some interesting little plants! Nice and exotic looking though! And usually I solve things with explosives... Yeaaah let's not to that when it comesto gnats. Oh don't get me wrong I would love blowing them up but that won't be a good idea for the little exotic plants to be fair... Well let's lay down the explosives now because I can almost hear you think now and it might scare me. Anyway! kind of jealous of that view though! So nice and cozy in between those lovely trees. Now! I'm going back to writing... Yeah I'm writing about deers. Why? No idea... they look cute I guess. Anyway do enjoy your day!!

Hi Amy, Loving the clothesline harvest pic. So plump and juicy looking. Nothing like being outside on a beautiful day tending the garden. You're turning me green seeing you sporting the 420 gear too. Garden's off to a good start minus the gnats. Pesky B's they are. How effective do you think the gnat nix is in protecting them? Enjoy:):peace:

Yesterday I had a first toke of some quick dried freshly harvested Blue Dream :slide:

I put some larfy buds on top of the entertainment unit on harvest day - and then forgot, so it was maybe a bit over dry, but never mind :)

I had pen and paper handy to capture the flavours of teh moment - definitley blueberry muffing right off the bat, a very earthy blue berry muffin, with a touch of cinnamon. ANd then something quite musty on the exhale, not peppermint or pine, more like spearmint, followed by flavours that I could only describe by mentioning really well toasted sourdough bread (oh god, which I havent eaten for years - damn celiac bowel!!). It was a lovely f;avour fest and the herb produced nice thick clouds of vapour on the exhale - using the Arizer Solo. When I went back for second round of hits off that bowl (after giving it a stir) i got subtle celery flavours!

The effects were fairly mild which is to be expected with quick dried larfy buds, plus I had a lot of CBD in me at the time so that would’ve been tempering things.

It comes on smooth and very ... pleasurably is the only word that came to me at the time. A very visceral high, very in the head, and very oral - smiley, and perfect for kissing I would expect ;) Not so much the munchies, just mouth conscious, like if I was still a cig smoker (eieww!) this weed would make me smoke lots of cigs. Not much obvious in the body, although it was a relaxed and good feel all over. I look forward to trying it again in a few days once it’s ready for jars.

It got a bit over dried due to an error with the oscillating fan but a few hours in jars and it came up to 80% and felt soft all over again instead of over crispy, phew! So now all the buds are trimmed off the stems and they’re in paper bags in the dark. Oh and a small amount in the fridge, doing low n slo. Hope they’re ok - lovely other is turning them for me occasionally. I look forward to trying those very much!

Pesky B's they are. How effective do you think the gnat nix is in protecting them?
Pesky indeed otter!

And yes, I do believe the Gnat nix works well. I also think that what I’ve read from Buckshot is also true, that you have to block all access to the soil. “Any port in a storm” are the words Buck used when talking about it. I think he sets his pots into it to block off their access to the small holes at the bottom. That technique would need care to make sure things aren’t staying wet at the bottom of the pot, but even that’d be better than having gnats!

Hey there Amy, out of curiosity... what does Buck do for the gnats? I read back a bit but didn't catch it...
I had an idea when you said you need to block the holes, and then you said you'd need to make sure things didn't stay too wet... I was thinking some screen of some kind, inside the pot, along those holes. If you could find fine enough screen, it should keep them out, and still allow for drainage especially if you put a but or perlite in the bottom as well.
IDK, just a though, sorry if its already been said! Really hope you have better luck with those pesky suckers next round!

Cheers daj :thumb: that’s a good idea to do something inside the pots and I likely will for next time on these one gals, and will se about doing it for the big pots I’ll be transplanting into soon.

Yesterday i did what dynamo suggested and used some old stocking hose not he outside to block the drainage holes. Seems good! Test will be the first dunk drenching to see if the rubber bands ai have securing the hose will hold!

Buck’s posts about the gnats and Gnat nix are a few years back (2016 maybe). I found it while searching the site for gnat, and gnat nix. If you search his journal for gnat nix you’ll find stuff. Might not be his current journal tho.

SO the thing I said about the wetness at the bottom is just because it sounded like Buck was also burying his pots in the nix a little bit to keep them from using the lower holes to get in and out and I wondered whether that would cause issues after watering or after rain as it would be more difficult to get that water out of the tray of it’s full of nix. Prolly not an issue tho and I’ve never actually asked BUck about any of this, just scoured his journal around that time.

Cheers daj :thumb: that’s a good idea to do something inside the pots and I likely will for next time on these one gals, and will se about doing it for the big pots I’ll be transplanting into soon.

Yesterday i did what dynamo suggested and used some old stocking hose not he outside to block the drainage holes. Seems good! Test will be the first dunk drenching to see if the rubber bands ai have securing the hose will hold!

Buck’s posts about the gnats and Gnat nix are a few years back (2016 maybe). I found it while searching the site for gnat, and gnat nix. If you search his journal for gnat nix you’ll find stuff. Might not be his current journal tho.

SO the thing I said about the wetness at the bottom is just because it sounded like Buck was also burying his pots in the nix a little bit to keep them from using the lower holes to get in and out and I wondered whether that would cause issues after watering or after rain as it would be more difficult to get that water out of the tray of it’s full of nix. Prolly not an issue tho and I’ve never actually asked BUck about any of this, just scoured his journal around that time.
Awesome, thank you! I don’t have any currently, but I’d like to know how to keep from getting them and how to get rid of them, in advance.
I only worry cause my wife had house plants, and we keep a lot of fruit and veggies around. So we tend to have a few bugs around now and then.

Back
Top Bottom