Lady Cannafan's Seedsman Comparative Grow Banana Jealousy ViparSpectra KS5000

My version is a bit different. The heavy duty version I mean.
My old method was just using the wire and hook the end, then stick it into the soil. I started doing that yesterday.
I'll try one or two plants with the wire on the skewers and see which I like better.
For the larger branches I used to cut up wire coat hangers and do the same. The coat hangers are much thicker and hold a stubborn branch better, just bend a length of it in half long enough to anchor it in the soil.
I'll grab a pic today sometime.

Okay, these are back from 2016-ish. This is how I used to do my LST. The wires held the branch down, (you can see red and white wires in there) and the skewers were used to keep the branch separated from others and bend as I wanted them gradually. The coat hanger wires were for larger branches or just to keep large fan leaves down away from the bud sites so light could get to them. Later on I had drilled holes in the sides of the planters to attach the wires or pipe cleaners to.

This is one of the results from the first run that I had done it. The last photo is one that had the LST method next to one that I had made a portable scrog set up on. That one was quite fun.

Good Lord, that reveg thing went way back. It was during my very first grow year, 2013. LOL
Here's one of them:

1711299280789.png
Now that’s a hot mess! I love it!
What unit are you using to test?
I still can't find my tester. LOL
I just used a tds meter. Mixed equal parts soil and RO water, let it sit overnight, strained the muck out and tested the water.

Good morning ya'll.

It was sure nice to have my first cuppa with the plants this morning. They are looking good.
I have to get a bigger fan in there so they can move around and strengthen up their stems.

Today I'm heading to the local nursery for some things, including some more soil for the three other plants I have in solo cups. I'm out of soil, really hoping they have something else available by now. My choice was extremely limited when I went back into growing last year during the winter months. There is another nursery about ten miles from me, I may hit that one instead and see if the pricing and available materials are better.

I'm thinking on going with 5 gallon containers for the other seedlings when up pot time comes. Those three will have one of the ViparSpectra KS5000 lights to themselves and have lots of room to spread out. Good opportunity to compare final results.
I have the outdoor grow in mind too, there are some things I need to look for in regards to that. Biodegradable pots being one.
Anyway, hope everyone has a great day!

Soils and soil less media can be tricky, I used Royal Gold, it disappeared? Several soils I don't see much of. I order Canna coco & mix it with FF Coco-Loco and Dyno-Myco. Mushrooms are growin in that mix. SS Good luck

Soils and soil less media can be tricky, I used Royal Gold, it disappeared? Several soils I don't see much of. I order Canna coco & mix it with FF Coco-Loco and Dyno-Myco. Mushrooms are growin in that mix. SS Good luck
Yep, the soil I used to use that was made locally can no longer be found. So sad. Seems I have to start over with what works for me now.
I'll look to see if they have the Dyno-myco. Heck, if I can use it for the shrooms too, that's even better!

I just looked up what I used to use online. It was called Potters Gold. I need to check out the website and see where I can buy it locally, it says new website coming soon.

Good Morning @Lady Cannafan

There are a lot of growers on here that swear by it. I have not tried it myself, because I can get Pro-mix products cheaper, not HP. Last year I bought 10 bags for over the winter and into the spring. The nursery I go to has sales on it often, and come fall it's about 5 or 6 dollars a bag for them to unload inventory. Spring is a risky time to buy soil, because if it's from last year it may be wet.

Good luck on your soil search, and I believe I read most FFOF growers start using nutrients/fortifiers early.

Hope this helps.

Tok..

Good Morning @Lady Cannafan

There are a lot of growers on here that swear by it. I have not tried it myself, because I can get Pro-mix products cheaper, not HP. Last year I bought 10 bags for over the winter and into the spring. The nursery I go to has sales on it often, and come fall it's about 5 or 6 dollars a bag for them to unload inventory. Spring is a risky time to buy soil, because if it's from last year it may be wet.

Good luck on your soil search, and I believe I read most FFOF growers start using nutrients/fortifiers early.

Hope this helps.

Tok..
Yeah, this nursery is less than a mile from my house. Their prices are always outrageous because there are no others close to them for competitive pricing. I rarely get any notices of great sale pricing going on from them.

I will be better in the future to order online ahead of time, and get it at a decent price for sure.
I'm hoping the Potters Gold soil people will get things up and going very soon. That was a great soil, and I never had any issues with it.

I no likey seeing deficiencies, and diagnosing what the plant needs is a PITA! LOL
Thanks Tok!

Choices today were minimal on soil again.
So, Foxfarm Ocean Forest it is for now.
Anybody here using the FFOF, and if so, are you adding anything to it?
That’s what I just up potted into. First time using OF so, I have no advice but, it’s probably the most popular soil I’ve seenl, that shows promise I guess.
Luckily my local hydro store carries pro mix and royal gold as well as all of the Fox farm soils so, I have options and will probably try them all at some point…

I use Fox Farm happy frog and have had good luck with it I believe it has a little less nutrient in it. I already use nutes so I do not have to wait to use it. Plus, it comes in a 2.0 cubic bag and ffof comes in a 1.5 cubic bag and the ffhf is cheaper price wise. 🍋
They had one bag of Happy Frog there, I compared ingredients and it was a toss up. It was a whole 2 dollar difference in price. LOL
I went with the Ocean Forest because the name was more familiar to me perusing the forums.
I hope it does well.

They had one bag of Happy Frog there, I compared ingredients and it was a toss up. It was a whole 2 dollar difference in price. LOL
I went with the Ocean Forest because the name was more familiar to me perusing the forums.
I hope it does well.
Too bad they did not have more FFHF because it has .5 cubic more soil for $2 less. But if Smithland does not have 3 bags of FFHF I will use FFOF. I am cheap so I always go for the better price when it is good soil. 🍋

I have the pots from the previous grow sitting in the garage. I haven't removed the stem and roots yet, but when I do I might try to re-use the soil with some amendments to it.
I left them sitting in the garage a few years ago during the summer, and a couple of them revegged on me. I didn't ask them to, didn't try to....they just did. LOL
Well they ARE weeds. I was thinking of dropping a couple of seeds in the cracks of my driveway this summer!

Well they ARE weeds. I was thinking of dropping a couple of seeds in the cracks of my driveway this summer!
LOL, that would be interesting to see. If I did that here, the Turkeys would come through and chomp them down, and the deer...of course.
It was a seriously small little bit of green on those discarded stalks, having a nice plant grow from that tiny little shoot was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom