LadyGreenthum's First Grow - OG Kush - 600W Top Feed

you didn't even post a picture of them in their new home!!

GEDC03873.JPG
GEDC03894.JPG

Yes they are sharing a space with my plants, but i'm gona move that all around tomorrow!

Looking real good Ladygreenthum.

Hey guys, can you tell me what the foot print for the 4 bulb cfl is, and how long in veg do you guys use the cfl's?

Thank you & happy Thanksgiving to our best friends up North.

Looking real good Ladygreenthum.

Hey guys, can you tell me what the foot print for the 4 bulb cfl is, and how long in veg do you guys use the cfl's?

Thank you & happy Thanksgiving to our best friends up North.

Thanks!

Its not a CFL but a T5 high output (it is a fluorescent light but not a compact fluorescent). We don't use CFLs. The footprint of the light you see in the pictures of the new veg area is 3ft by 4.5ft. We just started using it so the ladies were under a 600w MH for the first little bit but will be staying under the T5 until flowering time. Hope that answered your questions!

Lady GT

Thanks Ladygreenthum, I should have said T5HO not cfl, my bad. It will be fun to see how big the T5HO can get your ladies before flower.

Have a great night.

I would defoliate your plants to open up the nodes where the branches grow from to the light by removing some of the larger fan leaves from your plants.

I have a much different understanding of defoliation applied at the proper time line to enhance vegetative growth and flowering. You can see examples of how I defoliate and train my plants in my Grow Journals and Reviews. I would defoliate in vegetative growth 7-10 days before flowering to remove excess fan leaves and open more light to branches and nodes that become bud sites and colas. I defoliate in vegetative growth by removing any fan leaves that are excessively shading the branches and nodes to encourage the nodes to grow larger and produce more colas. I use Low Stress Training to tie the branches of my plants to the outer edge of the rim of the pots and each branch becomes its own bud site and cola. When I defoliate in preparation for flower I leave no more then 4 fan leaves at each growing top and remove the majority of the fan leaves, any fan leaf that shades a top and lower growth, this is a perfect time to select cuttings to root as clones from the plants you are about to place into flower. I defoliate in flower at days 21-25 of flower when the stretch phase has ended by removing lower growth that will not produce anything except for popcorn bud and any fan leaf that shades a bud site and again if required at day 45.

KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal

KingJohnC's Brainstorm Haze Soil Indoor Grow Journal

KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal & Review

There is a good example of how I defoliate in this Grow Journal and Review

KingJohnC's Twilight Groups LED 432W Spider COB Seed Cabinet Grow Journal & Review

Hey lady GT. I'm loving that new T5 figure. Your plants look really healthy and nice and green. I also like the creativity of the top feed PVC drip rings. Tell Mr GT he should be doing YOUR laundry, and to get his stuff out of your tent :rofl:

It looks like you're a pro already. In the next round, I would top much earlier though. Doing so will slow the plant down slightly early on, but in the end it's worth it for all the branches you will get. Scroll up to post 79 and notice how short and bushy that plant is. When you're working in a tent it's tough to keep em short enough.

It's not often I stomp on someone's post here. Everyone has their right to their own opinion. But please do not follow advice like this:

>>>I would defoliate in vegetative growth 7-10 days before flowering to remove excess fan leaves and open more light to branches and nodes that become bud sites and colas.

This is terrible advice for so many reasons. First of all the word, "Defoliate" is generic, and doesn't describe what this person is doing. I've seen this talk a few times. It seems one guy did it, posted about it, another guy thought it was "COOL" so he repeats what the first guy said, and it goes on and on. There is some validity in removing fan leaves, but not in late veg, and absolutely not a week before flower.

1. "Defoliating", or removing fan leaves, rapes a plant of it's power centers. Leaves are the photosynthesizing energy sources for the plant. Your plant needs this most, when it is going into flower.

2. "Defoliating" puts your plant into "heal" mode. Instead of focusing on growing or flowering, it is recovering from being mutilated. It severely stunts growth.

3. "Defoliating" delays flowering. If the normal flowering period is 9 weeks for this plant, defoliating it just before flower will extend flowering by 1-2 weeks.

4. "Defoliating" before flower absolutely does NOT coax lower branches to grow up strong (because they are getting more light). It does the exact opposite. Branches stretch, to reach the canopy, due to lack of light. Giving them more light will make them NOT stretch. Since we are growing indoors and we light from above, we WANT lower branches to stretch up and reach the canopy. When we change our light cycle to 12/12, branches stretch, because they are getting LESS light. Here is an example, demonstrating this:

5. "Defoliating" stresses and plant and added stress could cause a plant to grow a pollen sack (disaster). In late veg / early flower, the last thing we want to do is stress our plant.

As I said, there is some validity in this technique, but it is effective when it is done in very early veg, and late flower.

Abusing your plant in early veg, severely slows growth, but causes it to heal itself, and become stronger. I have seen (in many cases) where it causes the plant to be stronger, and it goes into "over drive" to over come the damage. Kind of like when a human breaks an arm, that bone grows extra strong in that same place. One of my biggest harvests from one plant (20zips) was from a plant that almost died due to lack of water. It was a crispy mess, and I had thrown it in the trash at one point. I got it back out, pruned it back, and let it go. It came back stronger than ever. But it severely delayed growth in veg. Here's a picture. Sorry I don't have a picture of it when it was almost dead!

If final yield is your end goal, then your challenge during vegetative growth, is to get your plants as big and bushy as possible. The more tops you can get to reach the canopy, the better. Here's an example of what we are striving for in veg. See how we almost have a "flat top"? This is achieved by topping the tallest branches to cause one top to become two, and purposely shading those lower branches so they will stretch up to reach the light:

And then when we put our "flat top" into flower, all these tops will grow into huge colas, and all get nice light from above.

Again, everyone has a right to their own opinion. I guess you'll need to decide which opinion you think produces the best end result. (even if you don't scrog)

KingJohnC_s_Lush_Lighting_LED_Dominator_2X_Soil_Indoor_Grow_Journal_and_Review_2014-24-07_-_045.JPG

Thanks for all the advice!

You know Capn that I'm following your style and mostly just doing whatever Greenthumb J tells me.. Hahaha
You are right though, I think I should have done the first topping a bit earlier, will do next time!

Stay tuned for an update tomorrow!

Hello Everyone!!

Hope you all had a good weekend. Here at the grow loft things were pretty chill.. I had to work all weekend so didn't get up to much. Also we got a new video game last week so most of our evening are being spent getting way too stoned and playing on the play station. It is always good fun. :high-five:

Alright, down to the good stuff! So the girls got a little LST (low stress training) the other day and are responding well. The branches are already starting to curve back up to the light. They also got a quick little tipping this morning. They are still getting fed the late veg recipe I posted earlier. I am super happy with how they are coming along. For first grow I think these plants are doing awesome.

Ok so here is a better photo of their home.

GEDC04413.JPG
GEDC04402.JPG

They are sharing the Veg tent with Greenthumb J's plants. (See link in my signature if you want to check it out!)

Photos of the LST branches:

GEDC04352.JPG
GEDC04334.JPG
GEDC04314.JPG

Look at those lovely ladies!

GEDC04372.JPG
GEDC04344.JPG
GEDC04275.JPG
GEDC04255.JPG
GEDC04392.JPG

After being under that T5HO for about a week I'm rotating them back into our bathroom veg area under the 600W MH light for a bit. They get a bit more space in there. No drip ring though so I have to remember to hand water them.

GEDC04424.JPG

That's them back in the bathroom.

These ladies are going to get transferred into the 5.2 gallon (20L) super root airpots in about two - three weeks and then the plan is to put them into flower about two weeks after that. If all goes well that is. Maybe three weeks after transfer.

I also really want to take some clones from these girls, possibly later today. Greenthumb J wants to try different options, some clones will be in a rockwool block soaked in Heisenberg Tea, some will go in a rockwool cube soaked in a mix of auqashield, florablend rapid start and bloom nutes the last experiment will taking clones and put them in a bubble cloner. The water will have bloom nutes, aquashield and rapid start. We want to see which method brings on roots the fastest. We will see!

Alright folks, that's it!

Enjoy your day and remember to take a min and just be thankful!

Lady Greenthum

High There LadyGT!
Caps right again (Like always lol) don't strip your plant right before she goes into "bloom". The last time I tried this it took my plant almost another 30 days to do what she does in 8 weeks. Then again if your goal is to see how long you can keep your flowering plant alive then by all means "Feel Free"
That's about what she'll be worth after that haha
Have a good one LadyGT

You said it s1ing..

We are keeping our ladies "natural" looking. Keeping all them leaves on there so we can grow bigger, faster!

Although "natural" is not how i like my women to look like!! :rofl:

Looking great LadyGreenthum, you may want to do a little LST on Greenthumb J. :cheesygrinsmiley::rofl:

Greenthumb J: lot's of great information in your journals & Blogs.:high-five: :adore:

Capn: :adore:

s1ingblade: :adore:

Back
Top Bottom