Pantagruel's Durban Lights - Half-Pound or Bust

Knew I could count on you Sara :high-five:

Everybody got a litre of rainwater plus CalMag today. So far the CalMag has kept the leaf problems that usually plague the Durban Poison to a bare minimum, so I'd say that was the magic bullet. Thanks to KingJohnC for pointing out to me that led's increase the need for calmag. :thanks:

I'm using LED - I had never read about increased need for CalMag (?) Why is does it increase the need and how do you know if it is needed?

:helpsmilie:

I'm using LED - I had never read about increased need for CalMag (?) Why is does it increase the need and how do you know if it is needed?

This is a quote from KingJohnC's journal entry:

"Scientifically I believe that the full spectrum LED creates a higher electrical charge in the plants then plants under High Pressure Sodium. I believe the higher calcium and magnesium required by plants under LED lights may have something to do with the actual spectrum of the light and the type of energetic reaction within the photosynthetic cells."

This is a quote from KingJohnC's journal entry:

"Scientifically I believe that the full spectrum LED creates a higher electrical charge in the plants then plants under High Pressure Sodium. I believe the higher calcium and magnesium required by plants under LED lights may have something to do with the actual spectrum of the light and the type of energetic reaction within the photosynthetic cells."

Thanks for your quick reply. I never considered there could be a specific nutrient deficiency due to using LED. I don't have a lot of resources in this Small Town I'm in - so I get alarmed when there may be an issue that requires obtaining something special like CalMag. It is not a lack of planning so much that there are SO MANY varying opinions and grow experiences I decided to just go with as few expenses and decisions as possible this first go round. The LED was the only "must have."

But, now I care more about this project. Damn.

Thanks again

You can look up calcium and magnesium deficiency in cannabis plants so that you know what signs of deficiency to look out for in your plants.

You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil.

Here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

Here is a cannabis leaf deficiency chart

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies31.jpg

here is the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver and the Plant Abuse Chart

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver: Pictorial

Plant Abuse Chart

My canopy ranging from 5 weeks at the back to 2 weeks at the front (the RD, which was slow to start)

As mentioned on CH's journal, I noticed a bit of a fungus gnat problem starting and doused 'em with dunks 2 days ago. As you can see, except for the RD in the front, the canopy is pretty open. I've hardly done any defol (I will defol the RD soon though). I am seeing some die-off of older fan leaves, looks a bit like calmag def again even though I am supplementing at regular strength every watering. I may try a double dose next time. The oldest girl is 5 weeks with lots of milky trichs and half orange pistils.

Aug29canopy.jpg

Durban Lights 4 weeks
Aug28Bud.jpg

I never seem to get much of a swell on anything, I go pretty easy on the nutes. My buds were nice and solid though. I have seen a few different phenos now that I am on my fourth plant of the Red Dragon strain.

Well, despite or perhaps because of my last post I gave the girls a hefty feeding today, guano/kelp tea with calmag in 1.5 litres each of water. I also repotted the new girls from 3 to 4.5 inch pots for their last month of veg.

Hi Panta can you please post your set-up? I've gone through the whole thred but I couldn't find it... I'm new to this forum, not too sure if the posting is here or somewhere else... like, space, lighting, day/night T and any additional info that put the cycle into perspective.... Thanx :grinjoint:

No Problem OW. Below is a quote from the start of the thread.

There are four of my own Durban Lights, plus one of the parent strain Durban Poison and one Red Dragon. Four of the plants have been topped, one Durban Lights is untopped and the Red Dragon is untopped. I started flowering the biggest plants first so three of the girls are a week to ten days into flower and 3 just went into flower.

The grow is organic soil mix as usual, but I have beefed up my amendments adding greensand, rock dust, rock phosphate and flowering guano in layers throughout the pots. There are also a couple of layers including worm castings for the stretch phase. I will be using rainwater and a calmag supplement plus organic teas.

I recently upgraded my grow room with white panelling and I have both of my TopLed 3x96 reflectors running with an effective 3x4 coverage area.

This is my first time using fabric pots and I am really excited!

My flowering room is 5.5x5.5 but the lights are covering a 3x4 area, as mentioned. Since they are flowering the light is 12/12. I think that covers most of the important points. :)

Back
Top Bottom