Voodoo's 600W Top Fed Rdwc SCROG Random Strain

well the drop in ec may have been a little too much todays check revealed a ph of 6.5 and a drop in ec so back up to 1.2 and ill see how that balances out.
2 nights ago just as I was off to sleep the power went out ...great, I checked with my provider it was going to be out for a couple hours or so. So I turned out the lights and reset them back to the correct lighting the next day. Well tonight I check them and on one single bud there is a nana developing, a tiny little green cats claw looking thing protruding fom a calyx it appears. It seems very coincidental the messed up light hours and 48 hrs later a nana.
Do I leave it and see if I get a couple of fem seeds or will they just go maph? can I use it to seed another strain of a friends to get fems or should I just pick it off and toss it?

That is quite a predicament you have there Voodoo. I have no physical experience with female pollen sacs, but from my extensive research on them, they tend to always form in flowering if stress is induced. NOW the exact amount of stress varies from what I have seen online, and this all depends on strain and genetics. So in your case the extra dark period could have triggered this growth, if it was not that then it has to be something else in your environment that is stressing your plant.

As for keeping it or not, I have no opinion there? I would assume you would be able to control the amount of female pollen sacs to ONE branch to ensure minimal seeds and a good yield, but that is going off of logic. Hopefully a grower like WildRoseBud of DonPaul could stop by, as I know they have an extensive knowledge on breeding, Good Luck ;)

Thanks for the input AG. I decided to get rid of it, it sort of looked shrivelled a little today so I wet my finger tips and plucked it from the plant seemed harmless enough. As yet I haven't spotted any more. If I do get a couple seeds I guess ill plant em and see what happens!
The colas are stiiiilllllll building and foxtailing out a bit each day it seems the lower portion of the buds are slooowly maturing but seem a little pale, the tips are getting nice and solid! The more they mature the more I lean my yield prediction towards that 8 or so ounces. If they get really chunky who knows.

Voodoo said:
...I lean my yield prediction towards that 8 or so ounces

I'm hopeful for you, I really want you to hit that mark, cause that means I should be hitting double digits with my foot print ;)

Thanks Voodoo, and by foor print I do mean size of grow area. I am going to be filling up a 1.2meter x .6meter (4ft x 2ft) space, but with this strain and the amount of time invested in veg I want to reach for double digits!

hmmm half the grow area with a quarter of the plants. that's one healthy girl you have there you should be able to achieve it but she will be crammed in! one of my friends just pulled 8 from a 1metre by 700 and another pulled 33 from a 1.2x1metre area!!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. 16 plants in coco took it in 2 harvests 33oz all up. so I now believe anything is possible! but im not too greedy 8 will keep me stoked 6 will keep me smoking.

All I can say is ive learnt with this grow that height above screen multiplies yield. next time I will be less focused on filling the screen with lots of multiple heads and more focused on creating less more robust taller branches. I couldn't cram this many tips in if they were all a foot tall you wouldn't get enough lower light.

Oh I nearly forgot some pics from today...
IMAG10894.jpg

IMAG10825.jpg

IMAG10976.jpg

IMAG10954.jpg

IMAG10886.jpg

Ive tried to prevent any arising by keeping up as much air movement as I can and the humidity has been kind, sitting in the low 40s which is all paying in my favour on the mould front. The main issue I have is as you can see in the first pic the growth that is packed in tight, seems to be a little pale and as yet the lower portion of buds are still very airy despite brown hairs starting to cover them where as the upper tips are thick and hard as rocks so Im kind of wondering if with a little more space between buds better light penetration would it help thicken the lower portions? I was reading on a thread about the dilution of apical dominance when doing multiple toppings basically each time you top you lose potency of growth to the remaining buds and im really thinking I may have just overdone these little girls a bit not via topping but via lst and scrog their trunks are still relatively thin and yet are supporting a rather large even canopy all trying to get the most food. I dunno now im just ranting again aren't I?

Yeah I think there is a fine line there somewhere. I think with these more extreme trainings you can definitely make the plant produce more tops than it is capable of supporting. Im leaning towards a more lollipop scrog as the better yielder with less, larger buds at the end of thick mains to enable that depth of light penetration and growth rather than the way I have with this one with lots of smaller buds coming off of each branch.

I was reading on a thread about the dilution of apical dominance when doing multiple toppings basically each time you top you lose potency of growth to the remaining buds and im really thinking I may have just overdone these little girls a bit not via topping but via lst and scrog their trunks are still relatively thin and yet are supporting a rather large even canopy all trying to get the most food. I dunno now im just ranting again aren't I?

I completely agree with this, as not allowing a topped branch to really thicken up has produced smaller nugs in comparison to a main branch nug, in my experience. Do you have a link to that article by chance?

But that canopy looks lush Voodoo, I would want to take a nap in their haha ;)

haha thanks AG it sure would make a heavenly hammock! Sorry no reference here it was simply a conversation on this site between growers. Im pretty bad at compiling data and always want to reference back to certain information but never find it again.
I think it sort of falls into the common sense basket If you make your plant produce lots of even bud sites then there is no dominant bud to steal all the growth energy, it is shared evenly, which is fine as long as the support system is able to keep up with demand.
In my case I think with the poor start they had they missed out on a key component of their early development and didn't create the base structure to support as many tops as I created therefore lacking on the yield to bud ratio.

I completely agree with this, as not allowing a topped branch to really thicken up has produced smaller nugs in comparison to a main branch nug, in my experience.

I have a classic example of a late topping still producing more buds but nowhere near the main bud size yet it would probably still be a larger yielder with the combined bud mass.
This is one fimmed end there must be six or so equal smaller buds there but the yield will be twice that of my largest bud so I dunno....???? this was taken a week or so ago ill get a new updated shot tonight has packed on a bit more weight now
IMAG10104.jpg

As far as the many smaller vs. one larger bud thing, there are some advantages to more smaller buds. There is less chance of bud rot and mold, for example. Everyone loves to look at big fat colas, but they can snap off, wobble wildly, etc.

Back
Top Bottom