420 Magazine Sponsored Grow Extravaganza Featuring NextLight Mega, GeoFlora Nutes & More!

Thanks, Brother! :thanks:

You pretty much got most of the benefits of organic nutes there but I will add that having grown with both organic and synthetic nutes, I definitely prefer the flavor and smell of organic.

I am growing in soil - HP Pro-Mix and worm castings left to cook for about 3 months.
My pleasure, glad to be aboard. :)

I am actually not surprised that you prefer the flavor and smell of your plants in an organic grow because I read that organic fruits and vegetables are more nutritious so it would make sense that organic would result in a plant with richer more diverse terpenes.

Sorry to be a pain but I do want to understand your system so do you mind my asking what you refer to when you say your soil was cooked for three months?

Another great feature to organic growing is being able to reuse your soil. Because we are not using chemical fertilizers, and the bacteria we are using has remediating properties, the resulting alkaline level in the soil is extremely low post harvest, especially with the 2 week period prior to harvest where there is no additional geoflora added. This means you can chop, flush the media a few times, and then treat with an enzyme product to breakdown any undesirable root material that may be remaining and you're off to the races again.
I like that about being able to reuse soil. You mention alkaline level which I know affects long-term pH so I was wondering if one were to use ProMix HP with Geoflora would a person have to adjust the pH of their feedwater?

I like that about being able to reuse soil. You mention alkaline level which I know affects long-term pH so I was wondering if one were to use ProMix HP with Geoflora would a person have to adjust the pH of their feedwater?
No need unless its your personal preference or its really skewed to one side or the other. Id say its good practice, but not necessary.

You pretty much got most of the benefits of organic nutes there but I will add that having grown with both organic and synthetic nutes, I definitely prefer the flavor and smell of organic.

I am growing in soil - HP Pro-Mix and worm castings left to cook for about 3 months.

So you are the one who bought all the worm castings!

Sorry to be a pain but I do want to understand your system so do you mind my asking what you refer to when you say your soil was cooked for three months?
I mixed the ProMix and worm castings, put it in a large container (trash can) with a lid and let it sit for three months to let the microbial colony build up. With Chemical nutrients, the nutes are in a format that can be ingested by the plant, so you're feeding the plants with the nutes. With organic, the nutrients are not in a format that's usable by the plant UNTIL they're broken down by the microbes. So, with organic nutes, instead of feeding the plants, we're basically feeding the soil and the microbes. Those compost teas you spoke of don't add nutrients to the soil, they just boost the microbial colony that facilitates the uptake of nutrients. Letting the soil sit for a month or two before use does a similar thing by increasing the microbial colony.

Soil is a natural PH buffer, so if you have a good soil mix and good water source, there's no need to PH.
:Namaste:

So you are the one who bought all the worm castings!
Could have been! :rofl:
The Zon had 30 lb. bags on sale a few months ago for $18 & change with 2-day free Prime delivery. Normally, they charge over $30 a bag, so I bought four bags! :cheesygrinsmiley:

what you refer to when you say your soil was cooked for three months?

Letting the soils sit for a month or two before use does a similar thing by increasing the microbial colony.
And it’s called ‘cooking‘ partly because that’s exactly what happens. When you first mix an organic soil it’s usually very rich and the initial the microbial activity can be ballistic at the beginning of a cook. It’s not a happy place for plant roots for a little while in many circumstances. So cooking allows time for this heat and activity to rise and settle as the microbial population balances everything out.Including itself. :)

inert - - then not inert.
i think i see where we are headed here.

hp is essentially used as a peat media with enough inert soil to hold the moisture long enough to promote microbials.
normally it is a inert hydro nute media app. minus the castings of course.

And it’s called ‘cooking‘ partly because that’s exactly what happens. When you first mix an organic soil it’s usually very rich and the initial the microbial activity can be ballistic at the beginning of a cook. It’s not a happy place for plant roots for a little while in many circumstances. So cooking allows time for this heat and activity to rise and settle as the microbial population balances everything out.Including itself. :)
That's 420% correct! The breakdown of organic matter is an exothermic reaction in that it gives off heat. Think about how hot a compost pile can get. Letting it cook gives the microbes a change to work on the organic material and convert some available nutrients.

The Zon had 30 lb. bags on sale a few months ago for $18 & change with 2-day free Prime delivery. Normally, they charge over $30 a bag, so I bought four bags! :cheesygrinsmiley:

The Zon is virtually out of their usual 30 lb castings, so I contacted U*** themselves and they offered me a good price but said they aren't taking on any new customers, check back with them next year. Most of their distributors require a commercial account just to verify availability.

The manufacturer on the Zon now is selling moist worm castings. I don't trust that. How much water and how much soil is included in those worm castings?

I mixed the ProMix and worm castings, put it in a large container (trash can) with a lid and let it sit for three months to let the microbial colony build up. With Chemical nutrients, the nutes are in a format that can be ingested by the plant, so you're feeding the plants with the nutes. With organic, the nutrients are not in a format that's usable by the plant UNTIL they're broken down by the microbes. So, with organic nutes, instead of feeding the plants, we're basically feeding the soil and the microbes. Those compost teas you spoke of don't add nutrients to the soil, they just boost the microbial colony that facilitates the uptake of nutrients. Letting the soil sit for a month or two before use does a similar thing by increasing the microbial colony.

Soil is a natural PH buffer, so if you have a good soil mix and good water source, there's no need to PH.
:Namaste:
Thank you for the detailed explanation, Mr. Krip. I actually started growing with an organic mixture from my local grow shop but quickly switched to, a non-sponsor single ingredient chemical fertilizer whose name I shall not mention, because my organic mixture was a disaster but in hindsight, after reading your journal I realize perhaps the missing ingredient was I was not given any microorganisms to add to the organic mixture so the nutes were not available to the plant in the proper form.

My problem with the single ingredient chemical fertilizer I am using is that the dosage sweet spot seems to be razor-thin so I often have deficiencies or lockouts and since these two problems often result in leaves with the same type of damage I am never sure whether I should go up or down in dosage.

So I am hoping your grow goes well because if so your system looks like a viable preferred alternative to my current system. Good luck.

Thank you for the informative post! :)

Another great feature to organic growing is being able to reuse your soil. Because we are not using chemical fertilizers, and the bacteria we are using has remediating properties, the resulting alkaline level in the soil is extremely low post harvest, especially with the 2 week period prior to harvest where there is no additional geoflora added. This means you can chop, flush the media a few times, and then treat with an enzyme product to breakdown any undesirable root material that may be remaining and you're off to the races again.

What is ur enzyme product called tht i would need so i can reuse the soil? Also is there a required cook time for the soil b4 i can use it or can i jus mix in an start planting seeds an clones? Oh an im talking for promix not coco or nuthn like that.

The Zon is virtually out of their usual 30 lb castings, so I contacted U*** themselves and they offered me a good price but said they aren't taking on any new customers, check back with them next year. Most of their distributors require a commercial account just to verify availability.

The manufacturer on the Zon now is selling moist worm castings. I don't trust that. How much water and how much soil is included in those worm castings?
I use the same U*** "wiggle worm" castings. If you keep an eye on the price, you can find them at a good deal ($20 range for a 30 lb. bag). I have a hunch it's expensive now due to being summer time. I'm in the subtropics so winter time is still summer time for me and I'll get them whenever I see them on sale! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Oh shit i dnt blame ya dam wish i caught tht sale i hate having to pay 45 bux for a 30 lbs bag if i source it locally which is 1.5 hours away from me so normally i try an get it on the zon with my prime membership. But latly been doing things slowly since my whole grow op got thrashed on me an took all my bud. But slowly im startn to get back into things so will need sum more ewc soon so hopefully u didnt buy em all out hahaha jk.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, Mr. Krip. I actually started growing with an organic mixture from my local grow shop but quickly switched to, a non-sponsor single ingredient chemical fertilizer whose name I shall not mention, because my organic mixture was a disaster but in hindsight, after reading your journal I realize perhaps the missing ingredient was I was not given any microorganisms to add to the organic mixture so the nutes were not available to the plant in the proper form.

My problem with the single ingredient chemical fertilizer I am using is that the dosage sweet spot seems to be razor-thin so I often have deficiencies or lockouts and since these two problems often result in leaves with the same type of damage I am never sure whether I should go up or down in dosage.

So I am hoping your grow goes well because if so your system looks like a viable preferred alternative to my current system. Good luck.
The real problem with the single product fertilizer is that, at different stages of the growth cycle, the plant requires nutrients in different ratios. More Nitrogen in veg and more Potassium and Phosphorous in flower. This is why most formulas are two or three part and you mix them in different ratios depending on the stage of growth. With the single part fertilizer, you're always giving the same ratio of nutes, regardless of what the plant needs.

Most of those general, all-purpose fertilizers work great in veg but have too much Nitrogen to flower, resulting in smaller, leafy buds.

What is ur enzyme product called tht i would need so i can reuse the soil? Also is there a required cook time for the soil b4 i can use it or can i jus mix in an start planting seeds an clones? Oh an im talking for promix not coco or nuthn like that.
If you let the soil cook for 30+ days, you shouldn't need an enzyme additive, at all. The microbes should break down most of that organic material. If you wanted to rush the process, you could add some of that Soil Activator discussed in the first couple of pages but I don't know how much that would reduce the cook time. I'd probably also add some of the Geoflora Veg mix, which has microbes and will prepare the soil for the next use.

I use the same U*** "wiggle worm" castings. If you keep an eye on the price, you can find them at a good deal ($20 range for a 30 lb. bag). I have a hunch it's expensive now due to being summer time. I'm in the subtropics so winter time is still summer time for me and I'll get them whenever I see them on sale! :cheesygrinsmiley:

U*** quoted me half that price if ordered by the 1 ton bag. Economies of scale!

Back
Top Bottom