*UPDATE*

1,2,3 - VEG DAY 9 (May 12th)
Above Soil April 28th / 2 wk seedling stage
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 5 (May 16th)
Above Soil May 9th / 1 wk seedling stage

Didn't have much time this morning to get pics. I was surprised to find them looking better this morning than they looked yesterday! I decided to not water today. I am still feeling weight to the pots. I'm going to be more patient.

#2 is definitely perkier than she was yesterday.

My hope is that tomorrow morning, I will have time to vape some buds, get some coffee brewed, get the camera gear out, and get into the tent.

I need to get the rest of lights hung the way I want. I will be adding another support bar to the top of the tent. I will also be bringing their pots and soil they will be transplanted in. I want the soil temps to start equalizing to the tent. Plus I want to start treating it now for fungus gnats or anything else.

On a side note, I still have the seedling mat underneath them. When do you all typically remove the mat? I saw a post earlier about the heat mat pruning the bottom tap roots. I had never seen that before.

On top of all that, I am still trying to find the container I like for seedlings. So having a few different container variables makes it a little harder with the watering cycles. I need to water them at different times.
I had found the same issues at first finding something that worked well, aside from solo cups. I found these small seedling pots with domes at the dollar store here and they work great.

#1 (right) seems to have plenty of moisture still based on the weight. But it's drooping. Not sure what to do
Was your picture taken right after lights on? Or not long before lights out? That could have been the reason for seeing a small droop. But honestly, the plants looks just fine in that picture, it's not drooping from lack of moisture yet.
Also, I accidentally pinched one of #1's leaves while taking PPFD. Stupid!
Nothing to worry about there, they can handle it.
7,8,9 still have moisture and look happy. I really want to water them but I may have to hold myself back for at least another or two.
Good call, you're doing good with resisting. If humidity is in a good range, sometimes a smaller container can go a week without watering.
On a side note, I still have the seedling mat underneath them. When do you all typically remove the mat? I saw a post earlier about the heat mat pruning the bottom tap roots. I had never seen that before.
I'd think you could remove the mat now so long as you're not setting the containers directly onto a cool surface, like basement concrete. Any sort of creative pot elevator that will work to keep them from touching a cool surface will help.

Things are looking great in here BA and the journal updates are always full of info and laughs. Keep up the good work :welldone:

Things are looking great in here BA and the journal updates are always full of info and laughs. Keep up the good work
Thanks so much Dick! I sincerely appreciate all the responses and encouragement.

Those dollar store seedling pots and domes are awesome! I'll be on the lookout for those.

Slept in today...about to get to the tent to get some pic updates. Blessings!

I like using the smallest available airpots and just a 1.25L plastic bottle with the base cut off, they fit perfectly inside the airport :), the pruning the tap root from a heat mat is only because directly above the heatmat the soil dries out much fsater, since the tap root is usually the longest one to start, if its in dry substrate, it dies. nothing complicated about it.

* UPDATE *
1,2,3 - VEG DAY 10 (May 12th)
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 6 (May 16th)

Outdoors Zone 9B, California
O1 - 8 Days Above Soil

I moved the plants around a bit today. I ended up getting all of them to roughly the same height to the light. I raised the light to 18" and turned up the intensity to 60%. I am averaging 450-500 PPFD at the top of the canopies.

I held off giving them water again today. They just didn't look like they needed it yet. Maybe tomorrow?!

I also prepped some soil for their next transplant. I prepped roughly 15 gallons of soil.

I added 15 oz of @GeoFlora Nutrients 'VEG' and then watered it in with 1 gallon mixed with 3.5 Tbs Soil Activator and 4Tbs mosquito bits. Then added a couple hand scoops of live worms. You can see how many babies there are in that little scoop!

I'm guessing at least another week maybe two before 1,2, & 3 are ready for the next pot size.

Look at this little munchkin O1 just creeping along. Talk about slow! Just barely starting to push out the first set of true leaves. This is now the 8th day since breaching the soil surface.

Oh...and a little pop of native CA color in the form of Island Mallow or Malva Rosa for your enjoyment.

Looking wonderful! I am jealous of the live worms too! I need to get my worm farm going again... just as soon as the monsoons are over.
LOVE my worms! These worms I got from a local recycling agency for free along with a bin! Healthiest and most active worms I have ever had. I'm trying to keep that colony as happy as possible at this point. I have so many more things to inoculate! Haaa haaa

I have a larger bin that is a bit slower all around and another large bin that is empty.

* UPDATE *
1,2,3 - VEG DAY 11 (May 12th)
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 7 (May 16th)

They all got a little bit of water. Working on the watering logic from @Emilya and focused on the edges. It was a mix of @Sierra Natural Science SNS209 , @Terpinator , and mosquito bit water.

Worked on only the edges of 1,2, & 3. #1 got 100 mL. #2 & 3 each got 50 mL.

#7,8, & 9 got a full drench. I started with ~ 65 mL each and walked away. Came back maybe 15 minutes later and gave them another 65ish mL each and all of them went to runoff. I allowed them to sit in the trays. Then tipped them for a minute to purge the water table.

Family Portraits First

Now for some personal attention for each of them.

I wanted to share this one with you all first. A little brain fart and this is what came out...

This is it without the brain fart. Mainly to appease the part of my personality that wants to see it for it's natural beauty.

Check out this crazy bend at the base of the trunk that was uncovered. I hope that doesn't become a weak spot. I have a feeling it won't.

#7, 8, & 9

*UPDATE*

1,2,3 - VEG DAY 9 (May 12th)
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 5 (May 16th)

Didn't have much time this morning to get pics. I was surprised to find them looking better this morning than they looked yesterday! I decided to not water today. I am still feeling weight to the pots. I'm going to be more patient.

#2 is definitely perkier than she was yesterday.

My hope is that tomorrow morning, I will have time to vape some buds, get some coffee brewed, get the camera gear out, and get into the tent.

I need to get the rest of lights hung the way I want. I will be adding another support bar to the top of the tent. I will also be bringing their pots and soil they will be transplanted in. I want the soil temps to start equalizing to the tent. Plus I want to start treating it now for fungus gnats or anything else.

Hey BakedARea looking good my friend! I will usually take the mat off my clones or seedlings once they sprout from ground or if cloning I just use the mat to get the humidity above 60% while roots develop since I grow in a cold environment most the time. I don't use my heat mat anymore unless needed for the 6 hours while the dark period is at play and the temps get below 62f. I like my basement cold lol!

I’ve only used the heat mat for germination - after I see sprouts - I just keep them under the dome for a few more days.

* UPDATE *
1,2,3 - VEG DAY 12 (May 12th)
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 8 (May 16th)

Quick pics this morning. All I can say is DAAAAAAMN! #1 is just taking off. It has dealt with the most obstacles and is doing the best so far. #3 is not far behind at this point. I'm guessing at the next full watering, they will explode.

#1,2, & 3 All have 4 nodes and pushing out the 5th. #1 & 3 are going to be getting their own spot in the tent with their own light soon! Running out of room on the "missing" dinner tray.

* UPDATE *
1,2,3 - VEG DAY 14 (May 12th)
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 10 (May 16th)

Soil Drench #1,2, & 3
Adjusted light intensity from 70% to 85%
1,2,3 ~ 600+ PPFD / 39.7 DLI
7,8,9 ~ 450 PPFD / 29.5 DLI

Was your picture taken right after lights on? Or not long before lights out? That could have been the reason for seeing a small droop. But honestly, the plants looks just fine in that picture, it's not drooping from lack of moisture yet.

I forgot to answer your question Dick from last week. Sorry. Those pics were taking about 8 hrs after lights on. It made me wonder though so...

I walked toward my tent this morning with the hope of catching the girls off guard and asleep before lights on at 1am. I had plans to water them before lights on anyway.

I opened up the tent to see this...a light turned on that was supposed to be off!

Urgh...so it looks like they have been getting 18 hrs from the Bestva Pro1000 ( @GrowTina ) and 24 hrs indirectly from that light in the back for the past week. I thought all my lights were on the same schedule. I forgot to actually turn on the schedule for that light. Can't be making mistakes like that later!

Drench was a mix of @Sierra Natural Science SNS209 , @Terpinator , and mosquito bits.

I forgot to get a pic of my journal notes for the quantities and timing for the watering. Here is what I remember and will update if I am wrong.

Worked on the edges of 1,2, & 3. Watered in 3 stages.
#1 got 100 mL, 100 mL, 80 mL to very slight runoff

#2 & 3 each got 50 mL, 50 mL, 60 mL to runoff

#7,8, & 9 only got a little bit along the edges. Roughly 10-15 mL each. I had some drench water left over and since they were on the third day, I figured I would give them a little bit of love.

I am starting to get more pressure from the fungus gnats. I added a couple more sticky traps plus all the foreseeable drenches will include mosquito bits.

I went ahead and started to incorporate the foliar spray option of the @Sierra Natural Science SNS209 and plan to do it for as long as I can.

I am curios if anyone knows how long I could keep the SNS209 solution mixed in a spray bottle? Also, I noticed that maybe I should add some yucca extract as a surfactant. The spray by itself binds together and creates large droplets. Would the yucca extract affect the SNS209 efficacy at all?

My biggest worry is that I'm going to be coming back home to plants with burnt spots all over.

* OUTDOOR UPDATE * Zone 9B, California
:rip: - O1 - 12 Days Above Soil...NOT!
:rip: - O2 - Failed to germinate

This little germinating faker absolutely tricked me. I thought for sure that I would have at least one wild GSC growing straight from seed. Unfortunately, that won't be the case. Looks like a struggling nasturtium or something from the cover crop seed packet.

These are the microgreens growing around what would have been O2. It would have provided continues shade for the delicate greens. I am planning to have a circular "cut & come again" row of the microgreens. The first harvest will likely happen this weekend.

Like many of the other plants in my food garden, I will need to plan ahead earlier in the year and start seeds indoors a month before the average last frost. Then I can harden them off slowly in the greenhouse for a month or even two if I really want to baby them.

For now, 2 of the plants inside the tent will be going outside. I will be putting #2 & #8 outside.
#2 will be replacing my plans for
La Especial Numero Cinco :rip:

Oh well...sorry @Weed Seeds Express for wasting 2 seeds. I think it is safe to say that GSC prefer much warmer soil to properly germinate and thrive through the seedling stage.

* UPDATE *

Yesterday's notes on the water and quantity were slightly off. I'm not going to bother updating that here at this point. If someone really cares, let me know and I'll include the details.

1,2,3 - VEG DAY 15 (May 12th)
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 11 (May 16th)

Pics captured this morning before heading out to work. #1 definitely put on some growth since yesterday. The canopy of #3 was close to the same height yesterday. Not so much today. Looks like at least an 1" taller. Maybe an exaggeration since I didn't actually measure them today.

Also a pic of my expensive moisture meter.

* UPDATE *

Yesterday's notes on the water and quantity were slightly off. I'm not going to bother updating that here at this point. If someone really cares, let me know and I'll include the details.

1,2,3 - VEG DAY 15 (May 12th)
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 11 (May 16th)

Pics captured this morning before heading out to work. #1 definitely put on some growth since yesterday. The canopy of #3 was close to the same height yesterday. Not so much today. Looks like at least an 1" taller. Maybe an exaggeration since I didn't actually measure them today.

Also a pic of my expensive moisture meter.
The pictures are stunning Bakedarea! :circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom