Advanced LED Demo Grow by Doc Bud

Post of The Year... Hands down!

Doc, I'll be doing a "Side by Side" run of your kit alongside PJ's Organic Soil Mix in the near future. Another member has blessed me with a supply of your kit. Just a heads up.

That's great! Please make sure you get me subscribed to it once it goes. Do you have experience in PJ's mix? I'm not familiar with it.

Since you don't have any prior experience with the kit, I'll do my best the help you, but hopefully a few gang members will show up too.

Yes, I've used PJ's Mix before and will post a link here once the fun begins. Thanxx for your support.

Update!

Things are starting to get interesting. The growth patterns of the plants have been different under these lights for sure. But things are coming along very, very nicely at this point. I'm very happy with how the last 10 days have gone, especially.

Resin production is where it should be.

This plant is the "C" pheno. While they're all quite similar, It's the most sativa like of the A, B and C phenos. This one has looser buds but a far more exotic and fruity smell. It really doesn't smell like weed at all. More like some tropical fruit that only grows in weedland.

IMG_85983.jpg
IMG_85971.jpg
IMG_86113.jpg

This is the "A" pheno, in the pot right next the the "C" pheno.

IMG_8601.jpg
IMG_86001.jpg
IMG_85994.jpg

Here are some other shots so everyone can get an idea just how nice things are beginning to look under these lights.

IMG_86122.jpg
IMG_8609.JPG
IMG_8608.JPG
IMG_8607.jpg
IMG_85892.JPG
IMG_85683.JPG

Update!

Things are starting to get interesting. The growth patterns of the plants have been different under these lights for sure. But things are coming along very, very nicely at this point. I'm very happy with how the last 10 days have gone, especially.

Resin production is where it should be.

This plant is the "C" pheno. While they're all quite similar, It's the most sativa like of the A, B and C phenos. This one has looser buds but a far more exotic and fruity smell. It really doesn't smell like weed at all. More like some tropical fruit that only grows in weedland.

IMG_85983.jpg
IMG_85971.jpg
IMG_86113.jpg

This is the "A" pheno, in the pot right next the the "C" pheno.

IMG_8601.jpg
IMG_86001.jpg
IMG_85994.jpg

Here are some other shots so everyone can get an idea just how nice things are beginning to look under these lights.

IMG_86122.jpg
IMG_8609.JPG
IMG_8608.JPG
IMG_8607.jpg
IMG_85892.JPG
IMG_85683.JPG

Doc, Those are Tricks AND Treats! Amazing!

A, B, C Phenominal!

Good Morning Doc,
Looking back I found where you said you were going to flower with 4 of those lights but also noticed a comment about possible using more since you grow big plants. I am curious if the pics above, which look simply stellar I may add, were they done with just the 4 lights or did you end up adding more?

Thanks

Doc, so the new pics of fake plants looks awesome!! :)

unbelievable how great they look...:love:

I'm very happy how they have come on strong in the latter half of bloom. They grew differently under these lights than they did under other LED's and HPS. Quite frankly, I was worried!

But I'm no longer worried....I know I've got a very good crop here. Smells are fantastic. They have maybe 2-3 weeks to go!

Good Morning Doc,
Looking back I found where you said you were going to flower with 4 of those lights but also noticed a comment about possible using more since you grow big plants. I am curious if the pics above, which look simply stellar I may add, were they done with just the 4 lights or did you end up adding more?

Thanks

I'm flowering with the same 4 lights. I haven't added anything except increased BTU's on the AC. However, I think going from 400's to 900's or so might be just the thing. I like large plants, thick stems and outdoor style leaves and resin.

Thank you for the info Doc,

I have a 5x10 grow area that I am only using 1/2 of, because "she who must be obeyed" currently thinks I have spent enough on my hobby for now, but eventually I want to be able to utilize the whole area and I do believe you have given me the insight to how much more light I am going to be needing.

Cheers!

Thank you for the info Doc,

I have a 5x10 grow area that I am only using 1/2 of, because "she who must be obeyed" currently thinks I have spent enough on my hobby for now, but eventually I want to be able to utilize the whole area and I do believe you have given me the insight to how much more light I am going to be needing.

Cheers!

For a 5x10 I'd use at least 8 of the lights I'm using here. That's an awkward footprint, 5x10. I'd probably just put a 4x8 tray in the 5x10 space so you have access to the plants from all sides (super helpful) and cover that with 4 lights twice as powerful as the one's I'm running on this journal....or two 1000 watt HID's.

Lots of light is really helpful, provided you can keep temps and humidity in check.

Hey Doc,

I had a question for you.

A while back I think I saw you mentioning before flowering you did a medium pruning of your plants to prep for flowering if my memory serves me correct.

Is there a specific method for this or do you target certain branches and/or leaves that you remove pre flowering? It seems that your plants always have fewer leaves and a lot of bud, and I was just curious on your method of selection of what to remove and also the time frame/part of the cycle you choose to do this..

thanks in advance :)

Hey Doc,

I had a question for you.

A while back I think I saw you mentioning before flowering you did a medium pruning of your plants to prep for flowering if my memory serves me correct.

Is there a specific method for this or do you target certain branches and/or leaves that you remove pre flowering? It seems that your plants always have fewer leaves and a lot of bud, and I was just curious on your method of selection of what to remove and also the time frame/part of the cycle you choose to do this..

thanks in advance :)

I've shown all this with pictures in a tutorial form a few times. I think the first few pages of "In the Lab" has the info. Basically it's this:

1. during veg it is CRITICAL to let the pots go bone dry between watering. I mean dry to the point of 5 minutes more and the plants will wilt. Wet/Dry does a two key things: It causes way more roots to grow than foliage AND it improves the leaf to calyx ratio later on, which is what you're noticing.

I tell people about wet/dry all the time. Some people ignore the advice, especially "organic" folks who don't understand soil biology. They think if the soil dries out the microbial population will die, or some such nonsense. They seem to forget that myco comes in a dry powder.....anyways

2. I prune 2 to 3 times during veg. The first time is usually a topping and perhaps removal of a couple lower branches in order to give the plant its proper shape, which is 3 to 6 main tops.

The second pruning is what I call a "Pre-bloom" pruning, where on the 3-6 main tops I take everything from the bottom up to the top 3-5 nodes depending on the strain. With these Colombian I left 3 nodes intact and put them into bloom that day.

If there is a 3rd pruning, it happen in mid-veg and is done to clean up new branches so that I've got my main 3-6 working.

In bloom, when the bud sites are all well defined, I clean up the lower part of the plant so that I can see dirt looking straight down at almost any angle. I want light to penetrate all the way to the dirt. I see too many growers with massive amounts of leaves, substandard roots and less than optimal buds.

Massive roots=massive buds. Wet/dry=decrease leaf/calyx ratio......so if you do both of these things you'll get large buds and relatively few leaves.

There might even be a shot or two of the pruning on this thread. I seem to recall it. Ah....here! Advanced LED Demo Grow by Doc Bud

I've shown all this with pictures in a tutorial form a few times. I think the first few pages of "In the Lab" has the info. Basically it's this:

1. during veg it is CRITICAL to let the pots go bone dry between watering. I mean dry to the point of 5 minutes more and the plants will wilt. Wet/Dry does a two key things: It causes way more roots to grow than foliage AND it improves the leaf to calyx ratio later on, which is what you're noticing.

I tell people about wet/dry all the time. Some people ignore the advice, especially "organic" folks who don't understand soil biology. They think if the soil dries out the microbial population will die, or some such nonsense. They seem to forget that myco comes in a dry powder.....anyways

2. I prune 2 to 3 times during veg. The first time is usually a topping and perhaps removal of a couple lower branches in order to give the plant its proper shape, which is 3 to 6 main tops.

The second pruning is what I call a "Pre-bloom" pruning, where on the 3-6 main tops I take everything from the bottom up to the top 3-5 nodes depending on the strain. With these Colombian I left 3 nodes intact and put them into bloom that day.

If there is a 3rd pruning, it happen in mid-veg and is done to clean up new branches so that I've got my main 3-6 working.

In bloom, when the bud sites are all well defined, I clean up the lower part of the plant so that I can see dirt looking straight down at almost any angle. I want light to penetrate all the way to the dirt. I see too many growers with massive amounts of leaves, substandard roots and less than optimal buds.

Massive roots=massive buds. Wet/dry=decrease leaf/calyx ratio......so if you do both of these things you'll get large buds and relatively few leaves.

There might even be a shot or two of the pruning on this thread. I seem to recall it. Ah....here! Advanced LED Demo Grow by Doc Bud

Hey Doc, just a quick question,(not in your kit) using biobizz.. I'm in the seedling stage, when should I water or should I follow veg routine?

Back
Top Bottom