This is what I think I've learned, and anyone and everyone should jump in to correct me if I'm wrong about any of it!

I haven't grown all that many plants, but the ones I have grown tend toward the indica hybrid, and they get colas that form on the ends of branches and build on top of themselves into one long bud. Sativa flowers seem to form on alternating nodes with distance between them (pure sativas having longer internodal spacing), and then the buds grow together to form the final cola (or stay as individual flowers in a more sativa expression).

:thumb: I don’t think I’ve grown anything indica enough leaning to see that then - I think I’ve always seen that second thing you describe. I’ll be watching in the future. I’d really like to grow some Kush at some point... funny that I keep not picking any out when I choose seeds tho... next time :)

Man I’m confused about the differences in the flower structure too.

:thumb: Thanks. I do remember seeing that somewhere now you mention it.

Wider Archi, wider ;)

... i do think, having grown twice in this one now, that 2.5 - 3’ deep and 5-6’ wide would be super for 2 plants.
My thought is one 2x4 12” deep. One plant :snowboating:

Yep that’ll work. End of last season i vowed in my journal that I would only grow one in this one this year, lol!

I need the variety atm, And I’m nervous to put eggs in one basket etc. And I’d be nervous about managing a plant that big - just physically you know.

I’ll have a great time watching you do it! :slide: :cheer:

That size will be awesome - a giant version of my Critical M :thumb: I dropped seeds on Nov 11, just so you know :) - veg timing wise...

Thanks AG! Whatever I do I’ll probably run an auto along side it just for variety sake. I’m actually leaning toward Green Doctor from MMG. It’s a 2:1 CBD/THC with Super Lemon Haze as one of the parents, so a 10 week flower.
The autoflower might be the Critical Orange Punch. I got like three freebies a while back of it during the Halloween promo Seedsman had.

Years ago, one of Doc's friends ran a Colombian in the ground under a greenhouse. It was one of those monster phenos and hit the 15 foot ceiling before it fully bloomed, but it was interesting to tear it down and examine the root structure. They found that it only went a couple feet deep but spread out to as much as 10 feet. :eek:

So it's more about spread than depth.

:Namaste:

Thank you for sharing this. It reinforces my love of my wider hempy pot. It also prepares me for the day I have my own raised bed. :slide:

Nice to visit Amy. :hug: Time to take off. :ciao:

Love the look of the Candida.

Thanks AG! Whatever I do I’ll probably run an auto along side it just for variety sake. I’m actually leaning toward Green Doctor from MMG. It’s a 2:1 CBD/THC with Super Lemon Haze as one of the parents, so a 10 week flower.
The autoflower might be the Critical Orange Punch. I got like three freebies a while back of it during the Halloween promo Seedsman had.
that sounds great! :popcorn:
Nice to visit Amy. :hug: Time to take off. :ciao:

Love the look of the Candida.
:hug: always a pleasure! It seems a little delicate in some ways, but certainly very pretty and keeping good colour ang vigour. :)
Speaking of seeing, nice work in your garden!
Thankyou otter! Glad you enjoy :Namaste:

Hey growing friends. I have a question to throw out there in case anyone can direct me to any info about it - it’s tweaked my curious brain and so far my web searching isn’t turning up much more than gardening folklore (which may be right)

My gardening buddy is here and today tells that he was recently told by a horticulturist that one shouldn’t water plants in the evening as they don’t uptake water overnight and that it’s better to alter in the morning.

The only time I’ve actively avoided watering at night was indoors - and only because I didn’t want to raise overnight humidity.

I’d always thought that plant roots take up water when the plant needs it. Currently I water when I notice they need it and when I physically can. I’ll avoid late afternoon or evening drenches tho’ if there’s something to this.

Does anyone here have any insight/knowledge on this?

I have always been told the same and know that the reason Duggan will put his plants in the dark before he chops is so that the plant will let all water flow back into the soil before he cuts them. It is supposed to be part of the plants daily cycle. As it wakes up it draws water up into its tissues and then as it goes to "sleep" it lets go of the water it is holding in its tissues. Supposed to be part of the reason they perk up in the day and then droop as it gets to be night.

"It is generally accepted that for C3 and C4 plants stomatal closure minimizes transpirational water loss (E) at night when there is no opportunity for carbon gain. However, there is increasing evidence that some species maintain substantial stomatal conductance (g) and E at night."

Cannabis was not considered in this study though. Here was their conclusion:

"Across species and habitats, the magnitude of night‐time g was correlated with the magnitude of daytime g (r=0.65, P=0.03; Fig. 1E). Parallelling this pattern, night‐time E at the leaf/shoot level was also correlated with daytime E when both were measured under ambient temperature and relative humidity conditions (r=0.81, P=0.002; Fig. 1F). These positive correlations support the hypothesis that night‐time stomatal opening and transpirational water loss are greater when species have a high daytime potential for g and E and sufficient water availability to express that potential. "

This pull-quote might also help explain it:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Expert Opinion: How Humidity Works
By Mark June-Wells, Ph.D.

What Can Happen When Humidity Is Unbalanced?
Plants acquire carbon dioxide from the atmosphere in which they are growing; this requires that the plants open their stomata and capture carbon dioxide. Opening the stomata also causes water to be drawn up through the plant from roots to shoots to the leaves and, ultimately, the atmosphere. This process causes the plant to acquire water from the soil medium, which is laden with nutrients.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From here.

:thanks:

I have always been told the same and know that the reason Duggan will put his plants in the dark before he chops is so that the plant will let all water flow back into the soil before he cuts them. It is supposed to be part of the plants daily cycle. As it wakes up it draws water up into its tissues and then as it goes to "sleep" it lets go of the water it is holding in its tissues. Supposed to be part of the reason they perk up in the day and then droop as it gets to be night.

:thumb:

This pull-quote might also help explain it:
Expert Opinion: How Humidity Works
By Mark June-Wells, Ph.D.

What Can Happen When Humidity Is Unbalanced?
Plants acquire carbon dioxide from the atmosphere in which they are growing; this requires that the plants open their stomata and capture carbon dioxide. Opening the stomata also causes water to be drawn up through the plant from roots to shoots to the leaves and, ultimately, the atmosphere. This process causes the plant to acquire water from the soil medium, which is laden with nutrients.

From here.

Ok so the general understanding is this as I get it so far: water being drawn up from the roots happens in correlation to the opening of the stomata and because this opening is witnessed as primarily a daytime thing, that’s it why water uptake doesn’t happen (or happens less) at night. (I think I’ve got that basic concept right :) ?)

So then this quote ...

"Across species and habitats, the magnitude of night‐time g was correlated with the magnitude of daytime g (r=0.65, P=0.03; Fig. 1E). Parallelling this pattern, night‐time E at the leaf/shoot level was also correlated with daytime E when both were measured under ambient temperature and relative humidity conditions (r=0.81, P=0.002; Fig. 1F). These positive correlations support the hypothesis that night‐time stomatal opening and transpirational water loss are greater when species have a high daytime potential for g and E and sufficient water availability to express that potential. "

I can see that this is saying something about the difference, or not, between their day and night observations... but...:hmmmm::ciao: it seems to be suggesting that stomata will sometimes open at night - I probly need to read more of the paper. I’m not sure what “correlation” means in the context - are they saying that stomata opening will happen overnight if certain conditions are peresent during the day? I’ll read it some more, and look at their graphs - I’m shooting from the hip trying to understand atm...
:Namaste:

I think it is indicating that if the plant has a tendency to transpire more during the day, it has a higher likelihood of transpiring at night.

Even so, the plants they tested seemed split about 50/50, so I'm going to stick with morning watering!

Excellent, that’s about what I got so we know the brain is functional :)

Thanks you so much for finding that - and the cannabibusiness times article as well. That is a great one for humidity info in general - esp for indoor growing :thumb: REP hammer!

...here's a simple opinion...

...Plant's roots will take up water whenever they need it. But it's best to water outdoor plants in the morning, when it's cool, so less water gets wasted due to evaporation. Watering in the evening can be detrimental to plants, making it more likely to initiate moulds or fungus because of wet leaves and soil.

...cheerz...h00k... :hookah:...

Thank you. Now that you have brought back our lost emojis, can you start working on rep points! We're all stuck at 113...not even sure why they still keep those on there. :hmmmm:

Yes - I’m sure they’ll get to something eventually. There seems to be a lot of work going on there at the moment...

I've always watered my flower gardens and grass only in the morning or during the day - never in the evening. It's something I repeatedly run across in gardening advice. But it's always been about the night humidity. Watering your lawn at night risks mold and fungal diseases, and the same with floral foliage.

So your helper is repeating common gardening knowledge. :)

Back
Top Bottom