I would say you are at bud set with that one and you could do it now. I tend to do later ones myself and so does Duggan. He almost always waits until about half way through flower. I think you are safe letting it go longer before you do it!
Interesting that this has popped up more and more to me. Perhaps it is because I am just preparing to do my first one.
I was re-reading the first ten or so pages of Docs Q&A thread and in there he is right at the beginning of his Cat drench testing.

My Durban is a bit of a mystery because I can’t be absolutely certain when it flowered as it started flowering after a reduction from 18/6 to 16/8. The photoperiod was completely altered as well, but I’m getting off topic. Point is, if it began flowering when I expect it might have, I’d be right in the middle of the flowering period. I’m curious to see how the plant responds.

If I remember my chemovars, Critical Mass has a short flowering time? That being the case, I think you’re really close to the right timing, in my humble opinion.

So this is an interesting dilemma AG being in a raised bed and trying to time different drenches here and there. Would you recommend having two different plants in the same bed knowing what you know now? I’m interested, as someone heavily considering the idea, what you’d recommend regarding raised beds

Interesting that this has popped up more and more to me. Perhaps it is because I am just preparing to do my first one.
I was re-reading the first ten or so pages of Docs Q&A thread and in there he is right at the beginning of his Cat drench testing.

My Durban is a bit of a mystery because I can’t be absolutely certain when it flowered as it started flowering after a reduction from 18/6 to 16/8. The photoperiod was completely altered as well, but I’m getting off topic. Point is, if it began flowering when I expect it might have, I’d be right in the middle of the flowering period. I’m curious to see how the plant responds.

If I remember my chemovars, Critical Mass has a short flowering time? That being the case, I think you’re really close to the right timing, in my humble opinion.

So this is an interesting dilemma AG being in a raised bed and trying to time different drenches here and there. Would you recommend having two different plants in the same bed knowing what you know now? I’m interested, as someone heavily considering the idea, what you’d recommend regarding raised beds

Hey Arch!

Was just perusing the brixer's journals :nomo:, and thought I'd chime-in here. I've done quite a bit of this, and YES, it can be a mess! When you apply the Cat Drench to the raised bed, even if it's just 'on one side' of it, all plants in the bed will be affected. This has been my experience, so now I just plant cultivars with very similar flowering times, so that when I'm having to Cat Drench one, the worst that happens is I'm a week early with the other plants in the bed--and that's worked out great!

Big fan of raised bed and in-ground growing practices. The kit crushes this, we just gotta remember not to mix a 12 week plant with an 8 weeker next to it. Only similar-flowering times in the same bed! Hope that helps :)

:passitleft:

drip irrigation setup is in the works for you?
How timely you should say that! I was literally in the process of building one at the time you posted ;).

Functional update: The Raised Bed

I’ve been doing a little bit of this project every other day for a while, and yesterday I finally got to piece it together and instal it.

I just need a hose-end piece on this bit and I’ll be able to plug it in, turn on the tap and let it run for an allocated time

I also have a battery operated timer so it can be left to do its own thing if I have to be away.

It’s a soaker hose. It won’t replace the need for the watering can to get the drenches in, it will save me multiple trips to move the hose around while getting a nice even soak on the bed.

That’s water delivery made easy.

The other “solution” I’m searching for is to eliminate the need to use the watering can to add the actual drenches.

In other business, Critical Mass got the post-stretch prune yesterday.

Here’s some before - from the most recent update:

And after - taken during the irrigation install. I took of lots of lower buds and branches that hadn’t made it to a sunny enough spot. I also rearranged things a bit and tried not to take off too many fans. A lot of fans were close to the dirt tho’, so they had to come off:

And a look at the underskirts. A bit messy but plenty of airflow and clearance to the dirt.

And not to be left out... A nice angle of CD-1 that presented itself in the late afternoon light, afternoon delight :ganjamon:

:Namaste:

Critical Mass has a short flowering time? That being the case, I think you’re really close to the right timing, in my humble opinion.
Yes CM is a 6-8 week strain... and it’s pain and sleep meds mostly so 8 weeks is the most likely :thumb:
interesting dilemma AG being in a raised bed and trying to time different drenches here and there. Would you recommend having two different plants in the same bed knowing what you know now?
I would definitely recommend and definitely do it again - over the years I plan to test out a few combinations.

ANd ... this vvv
plant cultivars with very similar flowering times, so that when I'm having to Cat Drench one, the worst that happens is I'm a week early with the other plants in the bed--and that's worked out great!

Exactly! Thanks Stoney :D it’s great to have you chime on on this. These 2 do have similar flowering times.

I did think about that and thought they’d be ok - and maybe still will be.

The thing to research maybe (or find out oneself as you go along...) is how quickly a chemovar will intiate flower after the solstice. I think this CD-1 was just super slow to start, and I think that is a strain/chemovar thing. It’s an 8-9 week finisher according to the breeder, so the plan of the 2 of them together looked do-able on paper.

I looked a bit, but couldn’t really find any info or evidence on how quickly either of these go into bloom.

The CM was super fast to start and the CD-1 was super slow, so that’s pushed me to the edge o_O:laughtwo: . ... pushed the timing to the edge. I may still make it tho.

And thanks for confirming, Stoney, that to CAT one is to do them both (or all), if they share a bed. That was my instinct, and it’s always good to find out it was a good one.

kit crushes this, we just gotta remember not to mix a 12 week plant with an 8 weeker next to it. Only similar-flowering times in the same bed! Hope that helps :)
:thumb::slide:

I would say you are at bud set with that one and you could do it now. I tend to do later ones myself and so does Duggan. He almost always waits until about half way through flower. I think you are safe letting it go longer before you do it!
Thank Yeti! It’s great to hear this from more and more... I may make it! :popcorn:

One thing keeps me amazed... I have a tiny little grow box and feel like I have my hands full. And I don't even need the plant for medicine, so pretty much no excuses not not grow more.
And here are you and your amazing garden, Amy. I am looking at it and thinking no way I could manage it :) And I don't know how you manage it with all the high brix and stuff, but keep doing it. It is a sight for sore eyes whenever I drop by :)

Thanks K! I get lots of help :) I am lucky that the folks around me go to great effor to help me around all teh peripherals so I get to do things like sit and prune. I do all the business but my other and a paid helper or 2 do lots of teh running around. (E.G. - other people collected all the bits and pieces I needed for the irrigation from around the property and brought it to my ‘area’. I measured it and marked it and someone else cut the pieces. It’s how it goes.

Regarding ease and the high brix “stuff”, as you mention it. It totally couldn’t be easier. It saves me doing any research or much thinking at all about what should be in my soil or my soil drenches, because I already know that is totally sorted, balanced, tuned etc.

The most physically taxing thing that differs from many other grows is the foliar spraying. It takes it out of me - especially now the plants are getting big! But I also really love it and saw how beneficial it is when I did my own grow last year. It does something really special for the soil (and in turn, the plants) and I enjoy the process of it very much. (That said, I am training my garden helper in how to do it ;))

Plus outside I have no height worries really. I train for fun and to use my space , but I have no challenges of controlling height at all. What you’re doing in your micro box takes a lot of work and precision ... and timing ...

Well it's always good to have a discreet helper ir two around :) I have a couple myself, but mine are only alowed to feed the cat and water the plants when I say, while I'm on holiday :) :)
Yeah, you're probably right about it, but still, from a position of a person (me) who never in his life saw an outdoor grow, it looks intense :) yet beautiful!

Hey Arch!

Was just perusing the brixer's journals :nomo:, and thought I'd chime-in here. I've done quite a bit of this, and YES, it can be a mess! When you apply the Cat Drench to the raised bed, even if it's just 'on one side' of it, all plants in the bed will be affected. This has been my experience, so now I just plant cultivars with very similar flowering times, so that when I'm having to Cat Drench one, the worst that happens is I'm a week early with the other plants in the bed--and that's worked out great!

Big fan of raised bed and in-ground growing practices. The kit crushes this, we just gotta remember not to mix a 12 week plant with an 8 weeker next to it. Only similar-flowering times in the same bed! Hope that helps :)

:passitleft:
Cheers Stoney! I’m considering embarking on an outdoor grow this spring so your wisdom is appreciated.
How deep are you guys in raised beds? 12 inches? Ive got a decent corner in my yard that gets sun all day. Just need to build a raised bed. It would be a border raised bed of about 2 feet front to back and probably 4 foot long. Max two plants, likely just one.

Hey Amy, I’m not exactly sure I understand your set up, but I bought a cheap little liquid transfer pump to feed with. It’s a little too strong for my small pots, but I bet it’d be great for outdoor watering?

Maybe, maybe not, just thought I’d suggest it for you. :)
I've used this exact one for years and love it for watering a scrog. It's saves a lot of awkward and heavy work.

looks intense :)
I guess it is really :) Its also all i have on. They literally are like my children. I think about them nearly all day.

How deep are you guys in raised beds? 12 inches?
:thumb: I’m 300mm (12inches) on top of an existing soil base that goes probably another 150-200mm down before starting to get into the clay substrate. Before last season, I dug down and added some gypsum and oyster shell to that lower layer. SO i’m straight onto the ground - which is fairly decent soil anyway, with about 300mm on top. I’d like to add another 100mm or so.

You can see in the side-on pic i posted earlier how limited 2’ is. Plant’s in the ground do tend to want to spread out. My bed is 4 x 4’, so 2 plants side by side is possible. Your shape is better too - for access.

Years ago, one of Doc's friends ran a Colombian in the ground under a greenhouse. It was one of those monster phenos and hit the 15 foot ceiling before it fully bloomed, but it was interesting to tear it down and examine the root structure. They found that it only went a couple feet deep but spread out to as much as 10 feet. :eek:

So it's more about spread than depth.

:Namaste:

That’s very interesting. Thanks for that. I wont sweat over adding any depth then. I am more looking at how fast it dries out and thinking that some volume might help. I’m planning to add some coco coir to help with some moisture retention (and oxygen as well).

But yeah - 10ft is a long way for roots to spread! But I guess that’s as wide as the plant was high...

Everything looks great and the Candida stretch is scaring me. I'm sure that lizard will find a new home. It's not like put up a strip mall next door :).
I’m searching for is to eliminate the need to use the watering can to add the actual drenches.
Can you use a 5 gallon bucket on a stool with a hose bib at the bottom and let gravity do the work for you?
And a look at the underskirts
Neat and tidy, tidy and neat. :thumb:

I'm sure that lizard will find a new home. It's not like put up a strip mall next door :).

Oh I know... it’s just such an awesome spot! Granted, it’s right in the middle of our walkway as it is so they’re at risk if being squished by a foot or the wheel of my walker on a regular basis, but they’re a lot quicker than I.

It must be quite a pad under there tho so I just hope there’s another way in if we end up blocking this one. Under there would be awesome structures from the old root system - a lizard palace I expect! :love:

use a 5 gallon bucket on a stool with a hose bib at the bottom and let gravity do the work for you?
You know... something along these lines could work. I wouldn’t use the soaker hose I dont think because i feel like the drench might not all get through it. Not that it has visible particles or anything but still. Also - it wouldn’t distribute the drench - so a hose with a shower end to wave around would be better. Hmmmm... :hmmmm:...:cool:

It wouldn’t even need to be a very big bucket actually because i’d be watering with straight water at the same time throught the soaker hose and seperately making a concentrated drench to spread around while that’s happening. Literally 2-3 gal would be more than enough. That’s a standard 10L bucket here. I should be easily able to get a food grade one even, with a tap spot already in place.

This idea appeals to me Shed, so thank you! Gravity. Not always my friend, but when it is one, it’s very powerful. And while I like gadgets, I especially like non-powered ones that use the forces of nature to function. I’m gonna throw this around a bit and see if we can execute it - I can always default back to the powered kind that is crazy strong as a last resort if nothing else works.

Candida stretch is scaring me
:laughtwo: GO! Baby, GO!

You did point out I have the sativa pheno - yours seem the other... so you’ll probably be fine. Besides - you’re the king of supercrop!

Indeed - its a pretty general and flawed distinction, only really helpful at the broadest levels.

The breeders of the Critical Mass (dope-seeds) describe that it grows like a sativa and flowers like an indica - so there’s a lot of scope in the occurrence of those features, depending on genetic expression. If there’s Critical in there too (which there is), then there’s Sativa in the line somewhere ;)

Back
Top Bottom