Ase's Perpetual Fun With Coco

Flower Day 20 - Veg Day 8

The babies all had multiple roots out the bottom as of yesterday. I will likely be putting them in their new and final homes in 2-3 days. I really want the roots to form a solid root ball and not fall apart, causing stress. They are all growing at about the same rate now and I'm thankful that the Cinderella99 is keeping up instead of being a runt.

IMG_369316.JPG

The next couple weeks should really be fun in the flower tent. They did not seem to skip a beat when I did my last heavy defoliation a few days ago. The Purple Kush is beefing up fast already and the Purple Envy is already getting frosty. That is the quickest I've seen a plant have frost on it as well as the beefiest I've had at 3 weeks in flower. It has me pretty excited about the potential of both, I think I can break my personal best yield with one of these two. I also finally see a couple hairs on the little Lost Coast OG. Gonna give her a chance and see if I can get an ounce off of her or so. She's about 10 days behind the other two.

The whole tent.
IMG_369416.JPG

Purple Kush
IMG_369613.JPG

Purple Envy
IMG_369721.JPG

Still can't get over how thick those PK stems are. Looks like she's been training with the Russian Olympic team.

Hah, I'm going to think "Ulga" now every time I look at her. I try not to name my plants but she's a beast and I think the name fits.

A lot of the thickness from the stems has to do with fewer main colas, but also has to do with boosting the potassium at the right time. That starts the last week of veg and lasts until the end of week 4 in flower. After that a transition to heavier Phosphorous ratios and cutting Nitrogen for 4-5 weeks and then flushing to finish.

When I cut it down I'll take a picture of the stems. I call it a "nutrient highway" but the stems are usually hollow, allowing nutrients to shoot up to the flowers quickly.

This journal is amazing! I'm learning so much from everyone:) I'm gathering data;) can I ask at what point everyone suggests doing the lollipop? Thanks all

I suggest doing it about Day 17-21 in flower. Just after the plant has pretty much stopped stretching. The plant starts to shoot out hairs and buds start forming. That's when you want to do it to not slow the plant down too much (if at all). If you do it later then that you risk causing stress and having the plant slow way down. If you do it earlier you risk stunting growth and the potential yield.

I appreciate the compliment on my journal. Please ask whatever questions you want and I'll either answer them or tell you what part of my journal that you can find the answer at! Sometimes I've even guided people to my past journals just to show them examples of mistakes but everything you should need to know about coco growing should be found here, for the most part.

Day 22 Flower - Day 24 Veg

Not much new to update today other than the picture. The babies will be planted into their final homes tomorrow, 3 gallon airpots with straight coco and an inch of hydroton on the bottom. Hydroton and coco both washed with regular water and then the coco charged with a light nutrient mix of 1-1-1 N-P-K and PPM of 350-400. I make the cal-mag 200 PPM and add the rest. I also use about 1/ml gallon of the rapidstart. After letting it sit for a bit I then squeeze excess moisture out of the coco and then load my pots. This is essential for making sure the pots aren't too saturated causing slow root production. Sprinkle Great White Mycorrhizae directly on the roots and a little in the new hole and plants shouldn't miss a beat. Apologies to those who have heard this a number of times now.

The babies look happy and all are a good size. Can't wait to get them in their new homes and watch them begin aggressive growth.
IMG_370314.JPG

The flower girls are looking happy as well with no signs of any problems so far. I usually will see some sign of nute burn or something but they have been happy and healthy the whole way so far. The little Lost Coast OG is sprouting hairs everywhere so I think she will be done stretching soon. Still seeing some new growth on it so hoping for an inch or two more. The other girls are fattening up quick. Will be fun to see what they do over the next 6 weeks.
IMG_370217.JPG

Thanks CK! Still a little ticked that I had to cut one and the Lost Coast OG is small but the two Purple's are making me forget all about that.

Did you take any cuts, or are those little girls going to be the next run?

Did you take any cuts, or are those little girls going to be the next run?

I still have a bunch of seeds so I haven't cloned in a while now. I just keep trying a number of different strains and I have duplicates of a lot of them so I can grow them again. Someday I will start cloning but I've still got a couple rounds more of seeds to just try out of different strains. Definitely been enjoying growing stuff nobodies ever heard of around here.

I still have a bunch of seeds so I haven't cloned in a while now. I just keep trying a number of different strains and I have duplicates of a lot of them so I can grow them again. Someday I will start cloning but I've still got a couple rounds more of seeds to just try out of different strains. Definitely been enjoying growing stuff nobodies ever heard of around here.

Yea that totally makes sense, it's probably super cool seeing so many different cultivars too like that huge purple kush haha

Looking great Ase, I thought you were potting up, but I see your waiting a little bit. .

I'm on vacation starting as of a few hours ago so I will be doing it tomorrow! I would have probably done it today based on the roots but it's more convenient tomorrow for me.

Transplant

I decided to start with some new coco for these girls so I took pictures of my process of rinsing, charging and then transplanting. I am lucky to have a huge drain table to do this in but big rubber or plastic storage bins or garbage cans work as well. First I take the dry coco brick and add a bunch of regular tapwater.

IMG_370816.JPG
IMG_370914.JPG

I then take a strainer for vegetables and quickly strain some of the moisture out. It is still pretty wet at this point but the water I dump is amber and full of dust and sand. I strain them by taking a small bucket and flipping it upside down and placing it in a larger bucket. I then put the strainer in there and dump the wet coco into it. I use another strainer to push down and it does the job pretty well.

I then made a batch of 1-1-1 N-P-K nutrients at 400ppm (6.2 PH) with 200ppm being cal-mag. I also added 1 Ml/Gal of Rapidstart. I dumped that into the buckets of coco and they get soaked again. I let that sit for an hour and then strained it, this time way slower and straining more moisture out then the quick strain before. Here they are getting charged before straining.

IMG_371019.JPG

After rinsing the hydroton I put a 1 inch layer into the bottom of the airpot and then started filling coco on top. On the last layer I put an empty pot that is as big as the ones the babies are in and then pull it out. It creates a perfect hole for the young plants to go in. I sprinkled Great White Mycorrhizae in the hole. I then got each plant, held the stem between my middle and index finger and lightly squeezed the outside of the small pot until the plant slides out. I then sprinkle a little more Great White on the roots directly and flip into the premade hole as gently as possible.

IMG_371218.JPG

The girls when they were done. Had great, healthy, white roots on all of them. I think I did it without causing hardly any stress so I do not expect any delay. Once I see aggressive veg growth I will top them. Likely sometime in the next 4-6 days.

IMG_371416.JPG

Back
Top Bottom