Bomb Seeds Detonation Time! - 420 Magazine Sponsor Grow & Review - Indoor UDWC LED

Re: Bomb Seeds Detonation Time! - 420 Magazine Sponsor Grow & Review - Indoor UDWC L

I'm with Pennywise on that one. I've not read that thread yet, but my thinking is that all three are needed at different levels and different times. In soil you can get away with it because of the beneficials. Anyway, I'm certainly no scientist, but I've used the three part and had no issues. It won't change anything you're doing except make huge nugs...LOL. Seriously, I think you are on track!

Re: Bomb Seeds Detonation Time! - 420 Magazine Sponsor Grow & Review - Indoor UDWC L

Disaster Averted!

One of the things you learn with a DWC is that it is not maintenance free and things happen quickly. In the picture below is my makeshift filter. When I changed the system water yesterday, this 'filter' — really a piece of J-cloth that I rubber-banded to a 2" coupling on the 2nd tote output blew off. Of course, I didn't know all of this because I didn't look and I merrily refilled the system. When I fired it up, I immediately noticed that the flow rate was really reduced. Then I checked the totes. And while the filter was floating in the tank, the elastic was not. It had disappeared. Yeah . . . the pump had sucked it in somewhere. This morning, I finally checked and it had almost reached the impeller of the pump and it was wedged into the opening. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. This could have killed the pump which would have shut the system down. And in hydro, when the water doesn't move, the plants die. So I will repeat. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

And where did all that debris on the filter come from in a supposedly clean system? That is a mystery . . .

filter36.jpg

Ian

Disaster Averted!

One of the things you learn with a DWC is that it is not maintenance free and things happen quickly. In the picture below is my makeshift filter. When I changed the system water yesterday, this 'filter' — really a piece of J-cloth that I rubber-banded to a 2" coupling on the 2nd tote output blew off. Of course, I didn't know all of this because I didn't look and I merrily refilled the system. When I fired it up, I immediately noticed that the flow rate was really reduced. Then I checked the totes. And while the filter was floating in the tank, the elastic was not. It had disappeared. Yeah . . . the pump had sucked it in somewhere. This morning, I finally checked and it had almost reached the impeller of the pump and it was wedged into the opening. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. This could have killed the pump which would have shut the system down. And in hydro, when the water doesn't move, the plants die. So I will repeat. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

And where did all that debris on the filter come from in a supposedly clean system? That is a mystery . . .

filter36.jpg

Ian
Never thought of using a filter. Very creative.

Never thought of using a filter. Very creative.
A little bit of detritus in the water is pretty common. Especially when your roots become larger. If you decide to use Clearex or something like it between feedings, salt build up, in the semi dry areas, there are a few avenues where crud can creep in. Flow is cool and a necessity when feeding, but it could stop. If you AIR stops, then your seriously in the weeds... or maybe without weeds

Agreed, you can live without the movement—it’s the dissolved oxygen that’s imperative or they drown.

Nice filter though. Hose clamps work better than the elastic. I don’t have a filter in mine since it’s so small, but I probably should. Are you using pond water? LOL. That’s a lot of crap.

Are you using pond water? LOL. That’s a lot of crap.

You would think so wouldn't you? No, this is city water. And I filter it with a 2 stage - one paper, one carbon - to remove chloramines. Some of it is dust + maybe a little construction debris but I was surprised. I did wipe it all down before the first fill but it sat covered for 5 days before I finally did put the water & plants in. And I ran a new filter for the last 24 hours & it has a bit of crud already.

Ian

You would think so wouldn't you? No, this is city water. And I filter it with a 2 stage - one paper, one carbon - to remove chloramines. Some of it is dust + maybe a little construction debris but I was surprised. I did wipe it all down before the first fill but it sat covered for 5 days before I finally did put the water & plants in. And I ran a new filter for the last 24 hours & it has a bit of crud already.

Ian
Truly clean may be unobtainable. It's not a bad thing. You can put a filter bag on your pump if you start suckin pollywogs... sorry dude. I couldn't help myself...

If your pump and plants are in the same container you will absolutely need a filter on your pump. It's amazing how ambitious roots are. A bag is the best way to take care of it. I've only seen two sizes. I get the larger because the bag will still stick to the pump and slow. I add a 4" strainer in the bottom of the bag so it keeps the material away from the pump.

Truly clean may be unobtainable. It's not a bad thing. You can put a filter bag on your pump if you start suckin pollywogs... sorry dude. I couldn't help myself...

If your pump and plants are in the same container you will absolutely need a filter on your pump. It's amazing how ambitious roots are. A bag is the best way to take care of it. I've only seen two sizes. I get the larger because the bag will still stick to the pump and slow. I add a 4" strainer in the bottom of the bag so it keeps the material away from the pump.
420-magazine-mobile656378111.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1340195728.jpg

Look at the screen inside the bag. No idea where that crap came from. I've used the bag for a few grows now, and scrub it inside and out then peroxide the crud out. In my opinion its insects and the microscopic stuff you need to worry about. The heavier than water stuff is just gonna sink and hang out where theres no current

Ha. But you are probably right. plant debris, dust that falls in while the rez is open, not to forget the never-ending dust from the hydroton (even after numerous rinses & soaks).

In an undercurrent recirc system the pump is external so no need to bag it.

Ian

Day 8

Rez temp holding in high 60s.
pH fluctuating about .5 pH per day probably from the non-RO water so I adjust to pH 6 ish
EC & ppms stable
Tent temp stable mid-70s
Humidity just won't go above 50%

The Bombs are doing well. And we have rootage!

day8-roots.jpg

Ian

Ha. But you are probably right. plant debris, dust that falls in while the rez is open, not to forget the never-ending dust from the hydroton (even after numerous rinses & soaks).

In an undercurrent recirc system the pump is external so no need to bag it.

Ian
You could use a submersible pump if you wanted to. Undercurrent uses an external pump on the assumption that the pump will heat the water. I guess if we were dealing with 10 gallons that might be a problem. In my mind an external pump is just another leak waiting to happen.

Oh, and i found out that the pieces in the screen are from my pump. It needs to be rebuilt. Drat

Oh, and i found out that the pieces in the screen are from my pump. It needs to be rebuilt. Drat

There is always something to do . . . :;):

Ian

Ok guys, you convinced me to take a second look at my nute plan. Once again, I read & studied a bunch of posts & came away with the conclusion that I will use some plan with all three – Micro/Grow/Bloom. So another trip to the hydro store tomorrow. I will get some AN Grow & I guess I may need Cal/Mg – even though my water has a bunch already since the static ppm is 230.

I did a quick analysis of the relative amounts of N-P-K in the various formulas that were in that thread I referenced. Interesting. The Lucas Formula is very benign and the stock AN formula uses a whole lot of chems. I am liking the 1-2-3 plan because it hits with P + K early in flower – just like adding PK13/14.

Here are the graphs for a simulated grow fwiw. All use the same scale.

nute-graphs.jpg

Ian

Wow. So much good info in that thread. It’s almost too much for me. LOL!

I recently received this from Rifleman. I’ve been following this fairly closely in the last few weeks and it’s a great snapshot of what’s happening in your system. Give it a look, it’s worth it in my opinion. Anyway, reps to Rifleman!

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/PH-EC_Chart1.jpg

Hose clamps work better than the elastic.

You are right. It got sucked into the plumbing again while I was out today. I think the J-cloth is too dense. As soon as it has picked up some clay dust it clogs & the pump sucks it in elastic & all. It's time to get serious. :scratchinghead:

And staying on the nute topic, I inadvertently used the GH Flora series numbers in the graphs above. Here are the Advanced Nutrients Micro-Grow-Bloom:

nute-graph-an1.jpg

There is quite a difference between the two company's formulas.

Ian

You are right. It got sucked into the plumbing again while I was out today. I think the J-cloth is too dense. As soon as it has picked up some clay dust it clogs & the pump sucks it in elastic & all. It's time to get serious. :scratchinghead:

And staying on the nute topic, I inadvertently used the GH Flora series numbers in the graphs above. Here are the Advanced Nutrients Micro-Grow-Bloom:

nute-graph-an1.jpg

There is quite a difference between the two company's formulas.

Ian
What a great spreadsheet. The AN sure has a lot of Nitro in midflower. This is good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I love your thread... very thorough

Back
Top Bottom