Cardboard Flowerbox Test 3 - 41 Week Perpetual SOG

re: Cardboard Flowerbox Test 3 - 41 Week Perpetual SOG

Hey, now... I grew up "yes, ma'am" and "yes, sir" too. Open doors, pull out chairs, and all...

Imagine the shock to my system when I got a CSR job down here, and was directly told NOT to say "yes, ma'am" and "yes, sir" to the customers... It was "Condescending and rude for you to talk to her like that." I simply said " Umm, where I'm from, that's considered polite, and she was from the same place, and THANKED ME for saying it." They let it slide JUST THAT ONCE but warned me not to say it again.

Later that week I was actually yelled at, called a pig, and spat on by a lady that I held the door open for at a convenience store. I was shocked at the very UN-lady-like attitude. I still open doors, and say what I was taught as polite, and if people here don't like it, they can just ignore it. I do it, for those that DO appreciate it, and admire the good teachings of a good parent. And you know what? My daughter is being taught the same way. Maybe not "Sir/Ma'am" But certainly "Yes Momom/Dadad" That's what she chose to call us, and I think it's cute. I refuse to let my daughter be seen like I see most of these idiot children running around, no respect for anyone or anything, and no discipline from the parents that should be teaching them right from wrong.

Hey, now... I grew up "yes, ma'am" and "yes, sir" too. Open doors, pull out chairs, and all...

Imagine the shock to my system when I got a CSR job down here, and was directly told NOT to say "yes, ma'am" and "yes, sir" to the customers... It was "Condescending and rude for you to talk to her like that." I simply said " Umm, where I'm from, that's considered polite, and she was from the same place, and THANKED ME for saying it." They let it slide JUST THAT ONCE but warned me not to say it again.

Later that week I was actually yelled at, called a pig, and spat on by a lady that I held the door open for at a convenience store. I was shocked at the very UN-lady-like attitude. I still open doors, and say what I was taught as polite, and if people here don't like it, they can just ignore it. I do it, for those that DO appreciate it, and admire the good teachings of a good parent. And you know what? My daughter is being taught the same way. Maybe not "Sir/Ma'am" But certainly "Yes Momom/Dadad" That's what she chose to call us, and I think it's cute. I refuse to let my daughter be seen like I see most of these idiot children running around, no respect for anyone or anything, and no discipline from the parents that should be teaching them right from wrong.

Good for you for teaching your morals to your children. It is too bad that parents expect the schools to do all the parenting for them. Really a shame.

If a lady spit on my face for holding a door. It would take all my energy not to kick her ass like I would a man.

Well, said my friend! :bravo:

yes sir it was well said. kids really do need to learn what a little respect can do for the giver and reciever:)

Good for you for teaching your morals to your children. It is too bad that parents expect the schools to do all the parenting for them. Really a shame.

If a lady spit on my face for holding a door. It would take all my energy not to kick her ass like I would a man.

Well, it wasn't my face, it was my shoe, but still the disrespect was there. I can only guess that she thought I was disrespecting her by not allowing her to open the door for herself. As I said I was too in shock to really do anything. I had never seen anyone react like that for what I considered a friendly gesture... I mean, hell, even when a guy is coming in behind me, I'll hold the door for him as well. I haven't had that happen since, but gawd... I was just blown away by the hatred of a friendly action.

Well, said my friend! :bravo:
yes sir it was well said. kids really do need to learn what a little respect can do for the giver and reciever:)

Thank you both... I refuse to let my daughter be that little frikkin brat that puts others off their meal while eating out. We always get compliments for how well behaved she is, and how polite with the please/thank you. To me, it's only the respect for the fact that they are a human being that one should show respect. Further respect is earned... Unfortunately, others around here feel that even though you're a human being, you get no respect until you show you deserve it, and then for some, it still doesn't come. Entitlement states breed such rude people.

what goes around comes around. sometimes it just takes awhile. and that goes for both sides of the street:)

In other news, I finally got around to making my little 15 site DIY DWC Bubble Cloner... I'm testing it now to see how well it works with non-chilled water. I have a theory that using tepid water will encourage roots faster, since the same can be said for rooting in an actual medium. This is just the first step in moving completely away from rockwool altogether. It falls apart in hydroton, and that is a very bad thing for the root system.

So my plan here is for the Cardboard Flower Box to receive plants packed in convenient little three or four inch netpots of hydroton. This will make it much easier to move them around if need be, like I did with Dream Diesel and Purple Widow so I could break down Side B and get everything clean on that side so when the other plants are done, I only have half the work on reset day, to get the whole box reset.

This will make K-8 flow better as well, because the constant shifting of plants in there is what is REALLY beating up the rockwool. This way I can just scoot them around as needed and not worry so much about the little rockwool cubes falling apart ad destrotig the whole root system. Sooner or later, I'll get a better flow, and I won't have cuttings that root, then stall because I've done something to the frikkin roots too close to the main stem. I have little plants just now coming back from the bring that have been in there for over 80 days now... THIS WILL NOT DO! I will not have plants just taking up space, anymore!

So here's the Cloner I made... I'm testing a theory I have from looking at window gardens, plants in plastic bottles, bags, and the like that do just fine without the roots being in the dark. Since there are no nutrients in the bottom, there's noting to degrade. My water is EC 0.042... That works out to 29.4 PPM on a .7 scale. There's almost NOTING in the water. I do put 1TBSP of H2O2 into the water, but the bubbler does a really good job of oxygenating it. I was actually thinking about putting a couple of GOLDFISH in there, but I decided against it. Anyway, here it is.

Click the pics for Full Size

nice cloner J looks very similar to mine, funny u mention window gardens i just built 2 4 site run to waste units(vid in my jo), i thought i had invented some new thing at the time but found out shortly after that its been done alot lol oh well im still thinking they would rock for a vert sog run to waste or recirculating and will be trying them out soon i hope,i like that i can use coco or hydroton reg or organic/rtw and you migt like that im also gonna do a hydro run soon (bubble buckets ala Coreys fav hydro style) i just need to get some better airstones and another 158gph pump ,and free up the space lol im gonna try to do 1 with organics Corey has said somewhere that organics work well in bub buckets, (sigh) eventually i will settle on a favorite style and find my personal magic strains
i guess ill have to just keep trying new stuff oh darn!, i think that cloner will do ya right! i found that adding a seedling heat mat was needed to get roots to pop i ran clones for 2 weeks no roots,i added the mat and had roots in a few days as well as nasty brown slime (pythium) but they took right off and im sure i could have even flowered them for a mini sog, anyway jm2c, i dig the clear tub, i think the emphasis on darkness for roots is over stated ,other than a lil'algae i have not had probs, and in a non circulating sys in particular

nice cloner J looks very similar to mine, funny u mention window gardens i just built 2 4 site run to waste units(vid in my jo), i thought i had invented some new thing at the time but found out shortly after that its been done alot lol oh well im still thinking they would rock for a vert sog run to waste or recirculating and will be trying them out soon i hope,i like that i can use coco or hydroton reg or organic/rtw and you migt like that im also gonna do a hydro run soon (bubble buckets ala Coreys fav hydro style) i just need to get some better airstones and another 158gph pump ,and free up the space lol im gonna try to do 1 with organics Corey has said somewhere that organics work well in bub buckets, (sigh) eventually i will settle on a favorite style and find my personal magic strains
i guess ill have to just keep trying new stuff oh darn!, i think that cloner will do ya right! i found that adding a seedling heat mat was needed to get roots to pop i ran clones for 2 weeks no roots,i added the mat and had roots in a few days as well as nasty brown slime (pythium) but they took right off and im sure i could have even flowered them for a mini sog, anyway jm2c, i dig the clear tub, i think the emphasis on darkness for roots is over stated ,other than a lil'algae i have not had probs, and in a non circulating sys in particular

YEah, I plan on changing out the water in the bucket with new every three days, and will be adding 1TBSP of 75% H2O2 with that change... this should keep the pythium at bay.

Great looking cloner!! Looking forward to see how your theory works out. I think it really should. I have hanging plants outside that have thier whole roots exposed and they still grow. One plant has actually replaced almost all the dirt with roots and it is healthy as ever. Some day I will repot!

YEah, I plan on changing out the water in the bucket with new every three days, and will be adding 1TBSP of 75% H2O2 with that change... this should keep the pythium at bay.

Going to be watching this closely to see how it all pans out. About the only BAD thing i can say about planting bare roots into hydroton is that if your not very careful roots can break while planting. Hasn't happend to me but my wife has done it on a few occassions.
I'd still rather plant bare rooted plants then in rockwool anyday and twice on Sunday

Cool cloner!

Warmth in the soon to be root zone definitely helps I think, but the challenge is of course that warm water encourages pathogens and doesn't hold DO very well. Since you are running essentially pure water, might not be an issue though...

Just asking because it's hard to tell from the picture, but is the water level perhaps a bit high? I think as long as there is popping bubbles splashing on the stem cuts, you're golden... Don't get me wrong, I know you know what you are doing, just giving you a fresh set of eyes. I was going to make one almost just like that, and even have the stuff for it, but fell in love with the simplicity/consistency of cloning in the rapid rooters. Having said that, I'm loving your experimentation and I like your ideas. Thanks for trying a few things a little different so that we all can learn from your experiences.

+rep (edit: oops I need to spread it around more first...)

Hi jandre.....could you tell me how and where to post off topic pictures?:thanks:

I think when you go to the upload photos page it asks you where or to different catagories. like member photos and what not but it shows a list of where you want to place them

Hi jandre.....could you tell me how and where to post off topic pictures?:thanks:

Certainly! When you're uploading photos, there is a drop-down on that page directly above all the Browse buttons. Click it, and at the very bottom of all the choices choose "OFF TOPIC PHOTOS". It is in all caps in the menu as well to help draw your attention to the very bottom. You may have to scroll down to see it, as well.

Going to be watching this closely to see how it all pans out. About the only BAD thing i can say about planting bare roots into hydroton is that if your not very careful roots can break while planting. Hasn't happend to me but my wife has done it on a few occassions.
I'd still rather plant bare rooted plants then in rockwool anyday and twice on Sunday
Yeah, rockwool, while VERY easy to use, and inert so as not to add anything to the grow, is a little cumbersome when it comes to its use in hydroton. And when moving plants around in K-8,even though, I very careful, I'm tearing up the little cubes, so bad that I am damaging roots right at the "trunk." At least putting them in 3" netpots, I'll have less of a chance to damage them that close.

Cool cloner!

Warmth in the soon to be root zone definitely helps I think, but the challenge is of course that warm water encourages pathogens and doesn't hold DO very well. Since you are running essentially pure water, might not be an issue though...

Just asking because it's hard to tell from the picture, but is the water level perhaps a bit high? I think as long as there is popping bubbles splashing on the stem cuts, you're golden... Don't get me wrong, I know you know what you are doing, just giving you a fresh set of eyes. I was going to make one almost just like that, and even have the stuff for it, but fell in love with the simplicity/consistency of cloning in the rapid rooters. Having said that, I'm loving your experimentation and I like your ideas. Thanks for trying a few things a little different so that we all can learn from your experiences.

+rep (edit: oops I need to spread it around more first...)
Hello! Thanks for the attempt at rep. Thank you for the encouragement in this. I've already taken into account the diseases that can happen, and will be changing water for fresh water and H2O2 every three days. This should help "Break the Cycle" as it is called, and help keep plants healthy and happy.

About the DO, the water sits at 76*F constantly, so it's not too bad, and with the bubble bar inside, DO is replenished as it is depleted and goes out the top. That's my theory, anyway, we'll see how well it works. My only concern is that I see bubbles sticking on the little stems poking in the water. I'm hoping that those little things don't get drawn inside and develop and embolism. But I've seen countless DIY's like this one work very well, so it's only a tiny concern.

SIDE NOTE: Hey, I almost caught you a couple of days ago in NOTM... then you got 2 more votes to put you to 15. Now I fear I shall never catch you. This is really fun in the NOTM! Good luck at the polls!

Certainly! When you're uploading photos, there is a drop-down on that page directly above all the Browse buttons. Click it, and at the very bottom of all the choices choose "OFF TOPIC PHOTOS". It is in all caps in the menu as well to help draw your attention to the very bottom. You may have to scroll down to see it, as well.

Thanks jandre! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom