Colombian Gold Grow: Come Learn With Me How To Produce Your Own Seeds!

The absolute hardest thing you'll maybe ever do is resist the temptation to pluck a seed off the plant to see how mature it is. What I do is when I see the first seeds starting to form after pollination I mark that date on my calendar and then count 5 weeks ahead. When I hit the date on the calendar I will pluck a seed to see how mature it is. And yes for the most part it's visual. Something that tells me that my seeds are fully mature is when the seed slides out of the calyx without sticking and the shell is hard.

About 3 weeks old

About 3.5 weeks old

About 4 weeks old

About 5 weeks old

These are 6 weeks old

So you can see if you peek early you've in effect wasted a seed.
Have you went as far as tracking germination rates for seeds by age when harvested. I don't think the 3 or 3.5 would even sprout?!:!

That information along with the photos are awesome brother Beez! That is so awesome to see the development of the seed broken down like that. Awesome. Thread is awesome.

It's boring update time. The girl Colombian Gold plant is nicely filling up with buds. Never grown this strain so not sure what to expect as far as bud size goes. Starting out right now they're a little on the small side. I supercropped her this morning trying to keep the canopy somewhat even. @InTheShed helped me with that as it's something I've only done when a plant has grown up into the lights.

I think the boy will be relocated tomorrow at lights on. He's creating enough pollen sacks to pollinate 300 plants.

Not sure if you'll be able to see it or not, but this is the very first pollen dust I've spotted on the leaves. This is how I tell the male is ready to start being harvested for pollen. I check every single morning giving the plant a good going over looking for pollen.

I put the two male clones of the CG plant into my compost pile today, and at the same time up-potted the two female clones into 1 gallon pots. I couldn't keep them in the solo cups anymore. A nice thing is now that I know how little the female mother stretched in flowering I can let these two clones veg longer and eventually move them up into 5 gallon pots.

I had read that when you're supercropping you roll the branch between your fingertips squeezing while you're rolling and finally you'll feel the branch "give way" and then you can bend it over. The branches I supercropped today were quite thin and had already turned woody/hard. I tried squeezing and rolling but to no avail. So I just snapped them over as gently as I could.

I need to start removing some fan leaves a few at a time to allow more light penetration. I tend to leave most of the leaves on until the plant is fnished its stretch. I think that gives them more energy with which to work. But after the stretch I thin out a good many of the lower/older fan leaves and enough fan leaves near the top to allow the light in.

I leave plenty of the fan leaves from about the middle of the plant upwards. I do a form of lollipopping but don't go as high up the plant as I've seen in lots of videos. I take enough to allow good air flow over the soil to help it dry quicker after watering/feeding.

I had read that when you're supercropping you roll the branch between your fingertips squeezing while you're rolling and finally you'll feel the branch "give way" and then you can bend it over. The branches I supercropped today were quite thin and had already turned woody/hard. I tried squeezing and rolling but to no avail. So I just snapped them over as gently as I could.
That's the way I do it. Most of the time I'm ready to bend they're not flexible any more. I rock them over my thumbnail until I feel I can get them to fold. If they break...electrical tape!

This Columbian gold I have in flower has been eating her fans and dropping them. The three blue dream aren't doing that. She either needs more nutrients than blue dream or might have a tendency to lose them on her own. I've been going pretty light on the nutrients the past couple grows so who knows. Lol. I fed them all a little better last night, but it might be something to keep an eye out for.

Since my Colombian Gold are from the same breeder as yours any and all information you can share is valuable, @MrGreene. One thing I notice and have taken notes on are the size of the leaves. They're quite small don't you think? There are tons of fan leaves on this girl. Right now I have been feeding them about 3/4 strength nutrients as per the manufacturers recommended dosage. I had slowly been bumping it up as they got bigger. One feeding very lightly burnt the tips on the girl only, so I backed it down to 3/4 strength again and that seems to be working.

Anyone remember the horribly rootbound Blueberry clone from about a week ago? She looked like this...........

It took her about 4-5 days to recover and look perky again. I have her tied down and decided to get her into the flowering tent. Pictures of her taken this afternoon. The color is from my lights. She is a nice green color.

That leaves me just one spot left in the flowering tent which is being reserved for the Colombian Gold once she's pollinated. The one plant in my tent (one of my crosses) has yet to show it's sex. So the tent is full I have to hope it's a girl.

Since my Colombian Gold are from the same breeder as yours any and all information you can share is valuable, @MrGreene. One thing I notice and have taken notes on are the size of the leaves. They're quite small don't you think? There are tons of fan leaves on this girl. Right now I have been feeding them about 3/4 strength nutrients as per the manufacturers recommended dosage. I had slowly been bumping it up as they got bigger. One feeding very lightly burnt the tips on the girl only, so I backed it down to 3/4 strength again and that seems to be working.
The leaves are a little on the small side but I wasn't surprised with the size. This is my first female out of the pack and she is so much different than the males. It's good to know not to be too aggressive with the nutes. I was enjoying letting things grow and being lazy about it. Guess I'll have to do better when it's time to flower the clones. I'll let them veg longer also. I put this one in early to sex it.

Back
Top Bottom