Crumbs To Brix: Archiweedies' Organic, 4x8

Everyone’s so chatty! I’m not used to that in my journal and it feels nice :thanks:

At 12" deep the roots will eventually get into the underlying soil (if they're photos...if autos, maybe/maybe not), so you might want to do some amendment of that before you put the kit soil on top.

My two Candidas take up basically my entire 2x4 tent...YMMV :).

Thanks Shed I’m in over my head here honestly. Let’s assume two plants in a 2x4 bed over a concrete pad. I can make it 18”deep if that’s better. It will have the black weed prevention stuff and be raised a couple inches off the patio.
Two would be my number. Have you seen the fabric inserts for raised bed gardening ? You can buy them in different sizes. Not sure they help though, as they cant breath being up against anything. I'm thinking of building something with lots a lot of wire, instead of lumber, then fit one of these inserts into it.
I like this idea maybe instead of weed prevention stuff. The roots would still air prune and stuff so not a total loss. :high-five:
Yup..what Shed said Archie.Two plants for sure....no more.A good idea to amend the existing soil too.
12 inches isnt that deep so....
Roots will wanna branch out away from the plant but still need a good 15 to 20 inches of depth.A good journal to look up would be MajorPitas from a few years ago.. .he did the most awesome outdoor grow. ..was incredible watching him work it all summer. Sadly hes not around the mag any more.. . Miss him. Or hook up with Cannanewb from NB ...out east , here in Canada. He grows in raised beds very , very successful....Cheers.
Sad to hear he’s disappeared but I’m eager to jump in pal! His journal looks quite good, thanks!
Your doing docs kit outdoor in bed ?
I’m growing something outdoors in Docs soil!
Yeah agree outdoor plants can take off in that size of area I’d only two myself
I’m worried two will get monstrous but I’ll do it because AmyGardener is my hero! :rofl:
Yeah Duggan has a point here I dig about 2 feet deep outdoor for my holes I used a manual sharp bladed auger fishing auger not gas powered . But if you apply the right amount of pressure slowly to start it grips in and digs the perfect round holes about 6-8 inch wide depending on if you have a auger laying around lol

Or know a buddy or possible rent unless it’s not rocky underneath and shovel Allan do trick but time wise my auger idea saved me manual work and time . I ran into some big rocks as my property as massive history for rocky history underneath lol long story ..

That’s when I had to use big metal poker stake thingy and shovel to knock loose then re apply auger also used a scraper garden tool like a claw thingy lol sorry unsure inf actually name . And scrap the side walls as well inside the hole .

Keeping the medium almost one woudk day fluffy allows your roots to expand probably easier I’d assume going down with less stresses ... see where I am going right does

Also does docs high Brix kit come with mycros? I think it would also help allowing or giving the roots so to speak something to grab on which then makes your roots system grow aggressively ?

I’ll shit up now . And of course study sun set and rise too where your yard hugest most sunshine ?

What else ? I hear shrowing certain plants lieo basil or onions can help too but lately Amy G I belive said garlic if not mistaken is known to help act as pest repellent?

@Amy Gardner did I hear you correctly ?

I was thinking even take some garlic gloves and stick around base of plant stem /main
All great ideas Joe thanks buddy!
So if I decide to place the bed over grass, how far down should I dig and what needs to happen to that soil?

We were talking about this in my garden just the other day.

Yeti mentioned that Doc’s recommendation for raised beds outdoors is 18” min.

My raised bed is all my own soil with Doc’s custom amendment. My soil is about 12-15” deep on top of the base soil which wasn’t amended first... but I’d grown on it already.

Anyway I agree that 2 plants is the go - Doc has also said 26gal min for growing in pots outside, and the raised bed will be better still.

About the depth thing, I’ll share this from Graytail :thumb:
Years ago, one of Doc's friends ran a Colombian in the ground under a greenhouse. It was one of those monster phenos and hit the 15 foot ceiling before it fully bloomed, but it was interesting to tear it down and examine the root structure. They found that it only went a couple feet deep but spread out to as much as 10 feet. :eek:

So it's more about spread than depth.

:Namaste:

For Archie to amend the bare soil, he’ll need a soil test. And it seems like doubling up to cook a whole kit to use, and then go aboit testing and an ending outside soil as well.

I think if you’re soil is closer to 18” deep you won’t need to worry about an ending the ground underneath. But Doc should have the last word for sure!

Hey @Duggan - thanks for mentioning MajorPITAs old journal. I’ve been asking around for ages if anyone had done a journal with an outdoor raised bed. I’m in the final stretch now - but I’m sure I’ll learn a lot from him for next time!

All good info AG that I’ll need to consider. I’m not at all opposed to doing a deeper box. Three 2x8’s ends up about 22.5 inches. That would satisfy everything I’ve heard thus far.

Oh and Joe, Yes garlic can be a repellent for pests and also attract good beneficial insects. I can’t remember which ones now - I sneed I look it up again. Good info is out there.

It is used as a companion plant, and also used in DIY bug sprays...

We make a garlic pepper spray to keep big off the citrus.

Further on that raised bed thing.

Gray’s story is about a plant unfettered in the ground. If you’re on a deck then really it’s just a big pot. A raised bed is such because it is open to the ground below.

If it was me, id dig it out on the grass like you mention, and use a weedmat maybe to keep the grass out - but the canna roots would need to be able to get down there if they want I suppose...

I’m worried two will get monstrous but I’ll do it because AmyGardener is my hero! :rofl:
:laughtwo: :hug: I think that’s a first, that I know of!

They can get big - but it depends how long you let them veg for, ie., how early you plant. I planted 6weeks before the summer solstice, FYI, so they got about 8-10weeks veg.

Here they are today - just now in fact - at about week 15 Candida on the left is 41/2’ tall

Yup, is so all great info ,..Amy, your getting a whole nother experience where your at. Lottsa critters and bugs to deal with, a lot of 'biting' things. :rofl:...About the raised beds , again,. bestest way would be to combine everyone's ideas , ...agreed...dig out base soil for test, amend as much as you can fill beneath your bed, Fill your bed made 3 , 2x8 high, with proper bracing,..fill it up with DBHBB soil and enjoy the year.....:ganjamon:

Can someone please return my DeLorean keys.....:hookah:

Yah - Duggs has it there. I think anything less than that and it’s just really a giant pot - which is fine. Just container gardening is a different ballgame. I hardly need any strength in my drenches for the raised bed - im not sure if that would change depending on whether it’s a giant pot or an actual raised bed.

I’ll shut up now!! Duggs will steer you right A, just as he has so far :ganjamon:

Cheers Duggs. It’s in a large enclosed garden space to keep out small critters and marsupials who would eat everything! It’s caged up to about thigh level and then netted all the way over the top. Just bird netting, not fine mesh. Bugs, spiders, lizards, ants and small birds can come and go as they please.

Haha I did skids to dyi

Had it running a wall sorta deal connected to actually wooden barn board fence or 4x4x8 foot post then front was black chain link and half the from back and one side was snow fencing it’s orange and plastic y. Hey had to think on spot as deer and rabbits were know make presence

Alsos start inside get then started also careful winds can rip a baby plant right over at the base of main stem stalk and ground I had one and the wind took it from me. So if windy and fragile and it is a concern take steak wooden and some twine or the thick green twist tie not the thin wire that will eventually dig into the stem causing it break and attract pest or get sick in area.

Thought I would add that be at least aware about .

Sure Joe :)

Actually that critical mass at the front of the first picture snapped when it was 10days old - in the wind. It was nearly snapped through. I very carefully propped it up using the gnat nix I already had on top of the soil and it healed itself right up overnight, never skipped a beat! Was only lucky that I saw it soon after it happened I suppose. I usually have various ways of protecting them from the wind when they’re very young. :thumb:

Sure Joe :)

Actually that critical mass at the front of the first picture snapped when it was 10days old - in the wind. It was nearly snapped through. I very carefully propped it up using the gnat nix I already had on top of the soil and it healed itself right up overnight, never skipped a beat! Was only lucky that I saw it soon after it happened I suppose. I usually have various ways of protecting them from the wind when they’re very young. :thumb:
Silica silica silica Lol

Of course the one time they’d be useful, I don’t have any pictures of my outdoor beds lol

When I built mine (4’wide, 8’long, 2’tall(18”of soil)) I dug out the grass about 4” deep in the spot I had marked... built the bed... lined the bottom of it with chicken wire to prevent any rodents from digging up from underneath and eating your roots, then lined the chicken wire with peastone gravel for drainage, and dumped all of my soil/compost mix on top of that.

Just my .02, for what it’s worth! Have a few more planned for this year as well :high-five:

Of course the one time they’d be useful, I don’t have any pictures of my outdoor beds lol

When I built mine (4’wide, 8’long, 2’tall(18”of soil)) I dug out the grass about 4” deep in the spot I had marked... built the bed... lined the bottom of it with chicken wire to prevent any rodents from digging up from underneath and eating your roots, then lined the chicken wire with peastone gravel for drainage, and dumped all of my soil/compost mix on top of that.

Just my .02, for what it’s worth! Have a few more planned for this year as well :high-five:
That’s actually really good point. I hate to put all this soil down only to have some rodent gnaw at my roots.
I’m back to putting the raised bed on the grass. It really is the most sunny spot and against the fence I can sort of hide it.

Back
Top Bottom