Derbybud Does CBD Strains In Coco & More

And you can decarb in them too... :rofl:
Shed mentioned that there might be an application for DeCarbing with Turkey Bags and you all were on to something. If you have any other threads on that specific subject, please share. I'll be watching the curing with them very closely. If seems to fit with my K.I.S.S. principles. Love it.

I know! I just want to burp one or two bags. Doing the reading on it now. Says turkey bags are breathable and are recommended over jars but I have more reading to do. As long as its food safe plastic i dont see why not. Ill pm u anything i find interesting
Rich, please keep me posted on your progress with research on Turkey Bags and Curing, it really appeals to me for it's simplicity.

Hey BTZ. Im about a month or so from harvest but DB has been playing mad scientist. Here is an update he sent me in pm.

Just thought I'd drop ya a line. The turkey roasting bag works great. I took my ww out of the frig the other day.(low & slow) 8.8 oz's put into 1 bag. Burping is so easy. Open the bag and just lift the top edge of the bag a few times. Acts almost like an iron lung. Leave it open for a few while burping jars and lift the top edge again while closing it so some air remains in the bag. Smells so great opening it.

I'm sold and will be buying some bags and a food grade bucket for harvest. It's an old school way of curing but idk why jars become the go to.

Shed mentioned that there might be an application for DeCarbing with Turkey Bags and you all were on to something. If you have any other threads on that specific subject, please share. I'll be watching the curing with them very closely. If seems to fit with my K.I.S.S. principles. Love it.
thanks for coming by BTZ and inquiring about using roasting bags. Rich and I were having a great discussion on what if and the next thing I know I'm using them and will always use them for cure. Here's the reasoning. I dry my product in the frig (low and slow method). Seems that I would just miss getting the smaller buds out in time and they would be a little dry. Now not wanting my big buds to be over dry I would always pull them slightly early. When I put product in jars I would put smalls together and bigs together. I always put a cheap hydrometer in the jars to keep an eye on the rh and would end up having to pull the bigs and putting them either back in the frig for awhile or on a rack to dry some. By putting the whole batch of product in one bag it stabilizes the product by rehydrating the smaller ones by pulling the last little moisture out of the bigger ones.
I was blessed with some nice sized harvests and had the 2 smaller ones in 11 half gallon jars. That's allot of burping of jars twice a day. When I harvested my ww I knew I had to look into something else cause it was almost as much as the other 2 put together. I've always used roasting bags for decarb in the oven as I feel it holds all the lovely terpines in the bag so after some discussions with Rich I decided to give it a try with my cure on the ww. This worked so well that I took one of my other harvest that I was curing for about a week and dumped 7 jars into another bag. Things stabilized within a day and the smells have really come out so nice.
With jars I would always have product sticking together and against the side of the jars even when with my RH was right at 62%. I would have to tap on the jars and roll the product around to break it back up. In the bags you don't get that as much and it falls apart very easy if it does. Just by flipping the bag over with your hand under it things fall apart.
Now the biggest reason to burp is to replace the stale air in the container. With a jar you only have the mouth and it's rigid so it takes like 5-10 min. Now with a bag you have the whole side open and it's flexible so your done replacing the stale air in seconds by just lifting the top of the bag up and down a few times with it open. The smells are overwhelming.
So in the end it's cheap and it saves time doing the cure much better by stabilizing the whole harvest together.
Once cured I'll put the product into the jars for storage but curing in the bags is where is at.

And after taking too rich we've come up with a better way to burp and cure cannabis. Roasting turkey bags. I'm burping 11 1/2 gal jars already and the ww was in need of curing so I'm trying this.

Very quick and easy. I've been monitoring rh and it's been staying right where it started.

Looks like a great time saver. I've been just resting the tops on my jars without the screw tops. Makes it quick to take them all off an put them back on. I'm currently burping about 20 quart jars.

Thanks to both of you @Rich Farmer and @Derbybud for such quick replies to my query on this subject. This forum is such a great brain pool of info, thanks folks. I really appreciate the info as I'm approaching my first ever harvest and looking for ways to streamline my process, before making investments for things I might not use in the future. The entire idea sounds like right up my alley. It would appear there might be less handling and damage. Also an easier time with the burping or shall we say breathing time? Since you haven't mentioned the Boveda, it stands that that isn't an expense or a complication in the process. Does the bag only work for curing in the Frig? Could you do it in a container with the Boveda 2-way humidity control packs in the Turkey Bags?

I don't have a refrigerator to use for this purpose in the moment, that's why I ask about just putting a Boveda in the Turkey Bags. I'm thinking a Small Dorm Size might work or do I need one that defrost and dehumidifies? It would also give me a small dedicated area for freezing trim and buds that I want to reserve for decarbing. Which leads to another recycling idea for the bags. The same bag that was used to store can then go right into the oven before being thrown out.

With regards to the decarbing do you still use the same temp and time as with other decarb methods?

Hey DB thanks for the great write up! I know Van Stank said his brother swears by turkey bags too.

Didn't think about decarbing but after looking at geopots website. They look like a great option for the freezer too! Will be awesome for qwet or qwiso a extractions. The ones sold on geopots are vaccum/ heat sealable and come in all sorts of sizes. Turkey Bags

I'll keep my buds in the bag and bucket for storage I think. Definitely with a B62% humidipack

You must use paper bags for the refrigerator low and slow method. It must be able to breath. The turkey bag would be for after the low and slow. It would replace the jars.

I think the decarb would be the same, for the most part. The air inside would slow the temp profile some, but not much....

All my opinion.

Ive personally never cured in the fridge low and slow but like B said the bags are for after the initial dry. Would most likely end up with mold putting wet buds in a T-bag. Also the bags are reusable so no need to toss them after your harvest is used up unless you seal them i guess. The boveda 62% will keep them at the perfect humidity for long term storage.

Thanks to both of you @Rich Farmer and @Derbybud for such quick replies to my query on this subject. This forum is such a great brain pool of info, thanks folks. I really appreciate the info as I'm approaching my first ever harvest and looking for ways to streamline my process, before making investments for things I might not use in the future. The entire idea sounds like right up my alley. It would appear there might be less handling and damage. Also an easier time with the burping or shall we say breathing time? Since you haven't mentioned the Boveda, it stands that that isn't an expense or a complication in the process. Does the bag only work for curing in the Frig? Could you do it in a container with the Boveda 2-way humidity control packs in the Turkey Bags?

I don't have a refrigerator to use for this purpose in the moment, that's why I ask about just putting a Boveda in the Turkey Bags. I'm thinking a Small Dorm Size might work or do I need one that defrost and dehumidifies? It would also give me a small dedicated area for freezing trim and buds that I want to reserve for decarbing. Which leads to another recycling idea for the bags. The same bag that was used to store can then go right into the oven before being thrown out.

With regards to the decarbing do you still use the same temp and time as with other decarb methods?
Ok I think you are looking at things a bit wrong. The frig is to dry the product and the roasting bags are too cure it. 2 different things. Bonsai has it right. In the frig you need paper bags to pull the moisture. Once dried you need to cure it for a few weeks. That's where I'm using the roasting bags

If my rh is still a bit high (mid to upper 60's) while I'm curing I'll throw a few boost bags (same as boveda) in my roasting bag. But that's too cure it not to dry it. If the rh is 70% or above I'll put them back in paper bags and into the frig to dry more. Don't be shy to ask more questions as this is where noobies end up messing their product up.

Ok, so the drying is done in a normal way or in paper bags in the frig. Got it,whew! :thumb: Glad you straightened me out on that part of the process.
Then they can go into the Turkey Bags and put in the frig for a low and slow cure. I'm assuming you could use a bucket or closed cabinet instead of the frig with Boveda in the Turkey Bags, basically replacing jars? If you don't have the frig space. I had already considered the long term storage in the Turkey Bags with a 62% Boveda a possiblity.

If my rh is still a bit high (mid to upper 60's) while I'm curing I'll throw a few boost bags (same as boveda) in my roasting bag. But that's too cure it not to dry it. If the rh is 70% or above I'll put them back in paper bags and into the frig to dry more. Don't be shy to ask more questions as this is where noobies end up messing their product up.

Yes, I can see that after all the other efforts of growing, this could be a huge area of disaster for a noob. That's why I'm being very specific and repeating to make sure I'm tracking correctly.

BTW has anyone seen the little humidity smart sensor that Boveda is offering that connects to your phone via an app? Kool!

Ok, so the drying is done in a normal way or in paper bags in the frig. Got it,whew! :thumb: Glad you straightened me out on that part of the process.
Then they can go into the Turkey Bags and put in the frig for a low and slow cure. I'm assuming you could use a bucket or closed cabinet instead of the frig with Boveda in the Turkey Bags, basically replacing jars? If you don't have the frig space. I had already considered the long term storage in the Turkey Bags with a 62% Boveda a possiblity.
There's a thread devoted to the low and slow method of drying if you're interested:
DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Low and slow is done in a frost-free fridge either in paper bags or jars with screening on top instead of lids. In for a week, roll every morning. After a week, put them in a sealed jar and check the RH after an hour. Too high? Back in the fridge for another week. Mid 60s? Jar (or bag) and start burping! Two weeks later, jar (or bag) with B62s for the cure.

Back
Top Bottom