Dick23rk's 1st Journal - 1st Hempy - CKS Autoflower Candy Cane & Amnesia Haze - 2016

Re: Dick23rk's 1st Journal - 1st Hempy - CKS Autoflower Candy Cane & Amnesia Haze - 2

**Update - June 21st - Day 99 - Day 59**

Today was an interesting day in the garden after work. I decided to sit down with the candy canes and get a real good look at them through the microscope. While inspecting Candy #1 and looking at trichomes I discovered a couple of nanners, more like 7 full ones and a few half developed ones. I got out the led shop light and started carefully looking over the plant and plucked all that I could find with tweezers. I think I broke one and seen some pollen drop into the plant a little as well, but shouldn't be an issue since I was going to put them into darkness tonight just because I seen the nanners, I don't want any seeds from these ones. Here are a couple pictures.

So now both Candy Cane's are in total darkness for 48 hours for some possible extra trich production. They were placed in our master bathroom tub since it was the easiest to control light leaks and has air flow as well with the ceiling fan. During my temp/humidity test in the bathroom this afternoon I had 60% humidity and about 22 C, I'm sure the RH will rise over night some. I also placed my small 8" fan in the tub for air flow around the buckets and to help them dry out (not in picture) I had just watered this morning before work as the last flush but this afternoon when I noticed the nanners I tipped the buckets and drained out the reservoirs as best I could. Here is their home for the next 2 days and then on with the chop and hang dry.

I also took some close up top bud shots of both ladies to see if the 48 hours darkness really helps with the trichome production. It is said that it does boost the production but I would like to see for myself. So here is 2 sides of a top bud on each plant and we will compare again in 2 days. I will take the plants back to the same place I took the pictures today and have roughly the same lighting (depends on the outside light) and will take the pictures again of the same buds and post them here in the journal to compare. I will make some side x side pictures for easier viewing.
First 2 are Candy #1 and the second 2 are Candy #2

So that's pretty much it for today. The Amnesia ladies are hanging out in the tent with lots of space now and directly under the light. I haven't spotted any amber trichs on either of them yet so they may get another feeding tomorrow and that will be the last. I will have a better look at them in the morning before deciding to feed or flush these girls. The Candy Cane's had the odd amber starting to show up so I think I got them at the right time regardless of finding the nanners. I would guess maybe 5% if I was lucky, maybe less were amber.
Hope you have all enjoyed the show so far, we are starting to get real close to the end! :) Take care!

Re: Dick23rk's 1st Journal - 1st Hempy - CKS Autoflower Candy Cane & Amnesia Haze - 2

I'm impressed. Love the photos. I just want mine to hurry up so I can do what you're doing. Did you follow someone's method for the oil extraction? It would be great to see how you did it.

I'm looking forward to see how you go about curing all this bud. Also, I didn't know what nanners were till I read your post. I'm starting to second guess whether I know anything!

I'm impressed. Love the photos. I just want mine to hurry up so I can do what you're doing. Did you follow someone's method for the oil extraction? It would be great to see how you did it.

Thanks Rastas, the pictures did turn out pretty good, I think I lucked out haha. The whole process takes time, the plants will grow and be ready for harvest all at their own times. I find the more we look at them the more the days drag on and make it seem longer lol.

I had learned back when I was a teenager how to extract oils so I was lucky, but since then and about 10 years later I have done my research and added in other tricks and techniques I learned from the internet and experimented to make my product better. Maybe once all the plants are done and I have my trimmings dried up I will make an easy picture tutorial of how I make my oil on a small scale using simple equipment from around the house. It comes out pretty golden when spread out :)

I'm looking forward to see how you go about curing all this bud. Also, I didn't know what nanners were till I read your post. I'm starting to second guess whether I know anything!

Curing will be a pretty basic process. After drying for 4-7 days depending on how well I can control my humidity levels, all the buds will be cut off the stems into sizes that will fit into my canning jars and sit loosely. I will place a 62% Boveda 2-way humidipack in the middle of each jar along with all the buds, seal up the jar and store it in a dark, dry/cool area. This will start to pull the moisture out of the stem and into the bud for the curing process, the boveda pack will then correct the humidity level and keep the bud at roughly 62% which is supposed to be perfect for smoking. I haven't used these packs before so we will see. After that I will need to burp the jars every day for at least 3 weeks maybe longer just to allow some fresh air exchange and let out any excess moisture in the jar. That's basically the curing process.

Mmm those are looking tasty! That's the kind of buds you can find in a coffeeshop. :) I'm wondering what the yield will be in weight. So harvest time has come then?
What are the factors in deciding it was time?

I think they are looking pretty yummy as well. Not sure about coffeeshop bud, but I have also never been to one like that lol. I am hoping I can get 1oz dry out of each plant but the buds are sort of airy so I think they will shrivel up a lot when they dry. Also, Candy #1 is kind of small and doesn't have thicker buds, so I may only get about 20g from her. We will see when the time comes I guess :)

Factors for deciding on my harvest time for these 2 were for the most part because I seen the nanners on the 1 plant. Otherwise I was going to harvest this weekend anyway because that would be the start of week 9 on a recommended 7 week strain and I had waited until all of the trichs were smokey/cloudy to start flushing. Personally I think this is more of a 55-58 day strain, that is when I had noticed the first couple amber trichomes, might as well call it a 60 day strain lol

Now just time to wait on the Amnesia Haze ladies! Update coming on them right away.

**Update - Day 100 - Day 60 Flowering**

Time for an update on the Amnesia Haze ladies now since I am waiting on the Candy Cane's to come out of darkness tomorrow evening for harvest. Should be fun :)

I have decided to start the flush on both Amnesia Haze. Reason for doing so today was starting to see a decent number of amber trichomes on the top buds, I would say around 5% on total plant but more like 10% on just the top colas. Gets me excited starting to see the ripening, I am hoping this will get a great daytime medication for pain relief as well as anxiety where it is a sativa dominant strain.

So there is a lot more space in the grow room now, I can actually water the 2 plants inside and under the light, but I'm not sure I like it. I have thought about how my next bunch will grow under 18/6 seed to harvest rather than 12/12 and I am not to sure I will have the room in there for 4 of them. Or if I go with 2 instead, will I be able to get them big enough to fill the space? If I go with 2 I would have to start a perpetual grow for sure in order to keep up with my needs and I would also have to almost double my yield from this grow. Decisions, decisions... Oh well, I have lots of time during august to think about it while I'm relaxing at the beach! haha

Anyways, on with the picture show of these 2 pretty ladies :)

Amnesia #1

Amnesia #2

Looks like you have been busy in the garden last few days. Exciting stuff. Looking forward to your harvest update. :volcano-smiley: To touch on your oil making process again I was curious what you used as a solvent. I would like to dabble a bit myself. Never made oil before and it seems there are so many options for extraction. I was considering everclear because the method seems super easy. Your two cents would be great.

Looks like you have been busy in the garden last few days. Exciting stuff. Looking forward to your harvest update. :volcano-smiley: To touch on your oil making process again I was curious what you used as a solvent. I would like to dabble a bit myself. Never made oil before and it seems there are so many options for extraction. I was considering everclear because the method seems super easy. Your two cents would be great.

Yup I've been a little busy here lately between the garden and some added research, always procrastinating. Haha Thanks for the nice comments :)

I always use 99% - 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, it is a little easier to come by but not always in large quantities and it is usually cheaper than everclear would be here if we can even get it. A lot of people have different ways of making the oil and usually it's what works best for them and how much time they want it to take. I use very low heat on a hot plate with a sealed element and put my solvent mixture into a medium sized casserole dish then place the dish on my hot plate to slowly evaporate the alcohol. Also using fans of course :) Get at me if you'd like to know more but otherwise I will be sure to make a small tutorial on how I make mine before I leave for vacation the end of July.

Its harvest day for the Candy Canes!!! :woohoo: Getting pretty anxious to make the chop. I went in and checked on them this morning, they still look pretty lively to say the least and the buckets are still kind of heavy so I am guessing they have not drank much nor has the vermiculite dried out any. We will find out when we pull them roots out of the bucket and see how wet everything is. I may just go ahead and do the chop this afternoon instead of waiting until to tonight that way I have more time to inspect, make the chop, trim and hang as well as take pictures along the way for all you fine folks! Should be fun, see you all later!

**Update - Day 101 - Day 61 Flower - CC Harvest**

Got the Candy Cane's all trimmed up, what a sticky couple of plants they were, scissor hash was very sticky as well and smoke was a sweet and almost bitter taste, very nice :) I didn't bother weighing everything that was trimmed up to get a wet weight for the simple fact that I left all the buds on the stems to hang easier since I don't have a screen or anything at the moment to dry on that will fit the drying area. I am going to take a guess and say 20g for Candy #1 and 24g for Candy #2, those are my guesses anyways lol
Not the best of picture in the box, some of the buds were falling over one another in there. CC #1 is on top and CC #2 is on bottom.

I am hoping that these buds don't shrink up to much since they are already sort of small in the first place. They will have a really long dry by the looks of it since the RH level in the drying box is right around 70%, I am figuring that it will take about a week to dry at that rate which is a good thing to dry slower to help save the flavor. I will check on the buds a few times a day to check the temp and humidity, as well I will rotate the fan around so it blows in different directions. I will be sure to exchange the air better over night when I can leave the box doors cracked open and dark in the basement.
Here we have all the buds hanging in their box, not the best picture. CC #1 up front and CC #2 in the back

The root mass of these plants inside the 5gal buckets was not bad at all, their feet sure took up quite a bit of space. I would say I will use 5gal again next time since I will be growing 18/6 straight thru. As the mass was coming out of the buckets while I was tipping them over, it was all coming out in one big hunk. I was just gently brushing away the perlite and vermiculite mixture to try and save majority of the roots for the pictures. I did lose some other roots that were closer to the bottom on each plant but got most of them out in one piece. I also need to find some bigger perlite, this stuff is really to small but I will rinse it all and re-use it next time, will just mix in some chunkier perlite with it.
First 2 pictures are CC #1 and last 2 are CC #2

The 48 hour dark period didn't seem to change a whole lot on these 2 plants. It actually ended up being about 42 hours since I wanted to get done early to go out for a bit with the family. As a result I wont bother making up any side x side photos for these 2, we will see if it makes any difference on the Amnesia Haze's when they are ready for harvest. However I did take some close up photo's which are a tad blurry in the ones without flash. I have added 2 pictures of each plant with and without flash, makes a big difference :)
CC #1 first and CC #2 last.

That's pretty much it for the harvest on these 2 girls. I got a nice amount of sugar trim which was basically everything that came off the plants and I will likely make some oil out of this, it is very frosty trim! Any of the real tiny popcorn buds that were to small to really trim got stripped off and tossed in with the trim for now. Once everything is dry I will go through the buds and take all the real small stuff and possibly make some cannabudder with that, will see how much we end up getting, may have to wait until the other 2 plants are done to make it.

Thanks all for stopping in, sorry I rambled on so much but was trying to get it all out at once as detailed as I could be in short version. There will be some more pictures of these 2 girls once they are dried and ready for the jars with Boveda 62% humidipaks. :thanks:

Looking very frosty :goodjob:

I read page one then did the typical stoners speed reading to the end (I looked at the pictures)
can not wait to hear your smoke report on this strain

Thanks OG, not bad for the growing conditions and under 12/12 light cycle since sprout :)

And that's fine, it's hard catching up on journals when reading every little thing. Pictures tell a thousand words anyways right? lol

Well done Dick, that's a nice harvest hanging there. I'm sure the numbers will be ample, one things certain... It's going to be the most satisfying smoke you can get. Reps are on the way.

:bravo: and a :high-five: with a big fat :thumb:

KiG :green_heart:Cheers

Congrats on the harvest, they look great. Looking forward to your next update.

Well done Dick, that's a nice harvest hanging there. I'm sure the numbers will be ample, one things certain... It's going to be the most satisfying smoke you can get. Reps are on the way.

:bravo: and a :high-five: with a big fat :thumb:

KiG :green_heart:Cheers

Thanks a lot Snid, means a lot! I am sure the next 2 to be harvested will yield me a little more but I am happy to have some great looking smoke regardless of my yield this time around. It will all be enough to cover me until after my vacation anyway.

Congrats on the harvest. :bravo:

Thanks dirt! Can't wait to see some of yours harvested as well, will be over again soon to have a look :)

Congrats on the harvest, they look great. Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks Bevman, I appreciate it. Will have another update in a couple days for sure!

Happy days! Those are some pretty looking buds you've got there my friend. Looks like they are going to pack a wallop. Congrats :welldone:

Thanks CBMedz! I hope they pack a wallop lol. I really think the Amnesia Haze look better though, will see what the next grow brings :)

Back
Top Bottom