Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

after transplanting my plants into 7gal they are doing phenomenal. I've never had veg plants look so good and pray to the light as hard as these do. pistil hairs are showing, few weeks they get the cat drench :D

two part question for you Doc

I just finished a grow that was 50% used and 50% fresh brix soil.
It will most likely sit until next spring before being used again.
I also have a current grow with the same 50/50 soil that will be added to that batch when done.

1. Other than tossing in the trim leaves and Roots, should I add anything?

On the current grow, I only have enough recharge for one plant of the three.

2. Could I add some 6/5/3 or some powdered nutes? Or go a bit heavier on the drenches?

And this is a pic of my HB Mystery Nirvana that got evicted from the flower room for being so slow at bud formation.
She was top dressed with a 1/4 cup Happy Frog and has only had rain water and tap water for just over 4 weeks now. She shows no signs of any deficiency.

G23os_MNv_4.jpg

Doc. Have you noticed if calcium requirements increase, decrease or remain the same when in bloom and late bloom? Thank you for kit ingredients in bulk too :)

It's a function of metabolism. When the plant is furiously growing, and new cellular architecture is forming, calcium requirements are very high. Ripening also requires calcium in order to get good swelling of the calyx. But as the plants near senescence, the physiology of the plants change. I can't say with any certainty what the demand for calcium is at that point, however.

The thing to keep in mind is that the calcium in the soil is mainly for the soil, not the plant.

two part question for you Doc

I just finished a grow that was 50% used and 50% fresh brix soil.
It will most likely sit until next spring before being used again.
I also have a current grow with the same 50/50 soil that will be added to that batch when done.

1. Other than tossing in the trim leaves and Roots, should I add anything?

Sling a bit of wormcastings in that bin if you've got 'em.

On the current grow, I only have enough recharge for one plant of the three.

2. Could I add some 6/5/3 or some powdered nutes? Or go a bit heavier on the drenches?

You could add 6-5-3, but going heavy on the drenches won't make too much difference if there's no minerals in the soil.

And this is a pic of my HB Mystery Nirvana that got evicted from the flower room for being so slow at bud formation.
She was top dressed with a 1/4 cup Happy Frog and has only had rain water and tap water for just over 4 weeks now. She shows no signs of any deficiency.

G23os_MNv_4.jpg

Nice plant! My suggestions in red.

TY for the link Sue!

Doc-
I know my grow is considered a sort of hybrid since my soft pots are in the ground, but if you have any comments or thoughts on what is happening, I'd appreciate it. The plants appear very healthy. The Pitbull is rapidly turning purple and the description doesn't mention it as having this type of coloration. TY

LINK: Purple Pitbull Problem?

Hey major.......just a thought from what I'm learning here.......is it caused by very cool nights.......has it been chilly at ur place latley?

Yep. Low 40's at night.
That was my thought as well. But since the description for this strain is "light green buds", I thought I'd try to confirm it just being the temperature and not something I should try to correct.
Thanks!

Comment:

My current grow is still in veg DBHBB. Went from six solo cups to six 2 quart containers about two weeks ago. Very healthy looking no issues. I'm about a week at most from transplanting to six 7 gal containers.

Question:

When I transplant to 7 gal containers do I need to allow any time for the roots to take or can I transplant and flip to HPS+MH bloom immediately? It would be nice not to move them twice. :)

Thanks for answers everyone :popcorn:

Comment:

My current grow is still in veg DBHBB. Went from six solo cups to six 2 quart containers about two weeks ago. Very healthy looking no issues. I'm about a week at most from transplanting to six 7 gal containers.

Question:

When I transplant to 7 gal containers do I need to allow any time for the roots to take or can I transplant and flip to HPS+MH bloom immediately? It would be nice not to move them twice. :)

Thanks for answers everyone :popcorn:

Transplant and flip is fine. That's what I do.

Just make sure you've got really good roots...rootbound even. Score them, apply Roots! and have at it.

early observations of my third brix grow;

problem free

easier than the guess work involved with conventional nutes.

Lower than average yield

higher than average high, hasn't even cured yet!
I have grown Cream Carmel and Green Poison before. This batch, both are much better.

Blue Dream harvested today was not fed or watered for 11 days as an experiment to deter bud rot which we have a lot, and didn't this time. The plant is covered with more crystals than I have ever seen before. And one of the stickiest plants I had to trim.

I haven't seen any drop of yield in my own High Brix grows, to be honest. Haven't seen it go up either. Most of the small problems went away though? Definite pluses are: better terpenes production, better trichomes production on some strains, top notch taste, higher potency. I still get occasional thrips though even on plants topping 22 Brix, so I guess I'll keep sticking garlic cloves in the pots, they must be eggs in my soil as I take it from the garden usually :tokin:

I agree Conradino. My yield is very similar but I HAVE seen an increase in density and enhanced terpene profile. Some of the mains look smaller, but the weight is close enough to be moot for me...and I'm digging the density and improved flavors and aromas. I'm taking mine off the stems tomorrow and will cull and grade, as I need to make some more butter.

GDP1_9_8_15.jpg

:cool:

I agree Conradino. My yield is very similar but I HAVE seen an increase in density and enhanced terpene profile. Some of the mains look smaller, but the weight is close enough to be moot for me...and I'm digging the density and improved flavors and aromas. I'm taking mine off the stems tomorrow and will cull and grade, as I need to make some more butter.

GDP1_9_8_15.jpg

:cool:

that is beautiful!! :)

I haven't seen any drop of yield in my own High Brix grows, to be honest. Haven't seen it go up either. Most of the small problems went away though? Definite pluses are: better terpenes production, better trichomes production on some strains, top notch taste, higher potency. I still get occasional thrips though even on plants topping 22 Brix, so I guess I'll keep sticking garlic cloves in the pots, they must be eggs in my soil as I take it from the garden usually :tokin:

I was thinking of you today. Went to see a plant that a buddy is growing from a seed I got over the winter. Anyway, he sent me a pic the other day and said he had some problems. I saw you write on a thread recently about bud worms. Which, I also found one on mine. Anyway, sent him a text last night and said I'd stop by on my way to lab.

Sure enough, had some rot. Got digging in one bud,, found a big ole caterpillar bedded in... Nasty things. I'll be inspecting mine again tonight, again tomorrow.... First thing I thought of when I found it was you. He thought I was a genius,, I told him I do my homework... Thank you. I have a pic of the plant I'll post later,, big girl, he'll harvest a good amount.

Here you go here's the plant..Sorry Doc, didn't mean to hijack

20150909_094436.jpg

My outdoor grows for the past few years has seen many of those bud worms they will ruin a whole harvest if your not on top of them plus messing around with the buds isn't a good idea
My first high-brix grow there's no bud worms I've been spraying a "organic " pest spray and found only a few they can't seem to get into the very dense nugs that are growing

My outdoor grows for the past few years has seen many of those bud worms they will ruin a whole harvest if your not on top of them plus messing around with the buds isn't a good idea
My first high-brix grow there's no bud worms I've been spraying a "organic " pest spray and found only a few they can't seem to get into the very dense nugs that are growing

The Leaf Wash product I carry for outdoor grows is quite effective at stopping budworm.

Back
Top Bottom