GDB: Old Dog -- New Tricks

As Meatloaf almost sang, three out of four ain't bad! And I'll be dropping a CapJunky later this month to add to the collection of folks here growing it and you can join in later. :thumb:
You know I'm looking forward to seeing your schlepped CJ, Shed! :drool:

Oops (for the umpteenth time)!

Don't be jealous BiggMakk. Just pretend you're on the Gold Coast and get your root on! :Rasta:

What's the benefit of the flourine coating Olddog?

Thanks Shed! :)

Thanks so much Stunger. :thanks:

I'm not sure SOG. I'm thinking it could be having too many wick lines in play with not enough roots to deal with the moisture that's present. Remember, this is my first run with the swick bases. I dare say your guess is as good as mine! Every now and then I'll take a dull knife and scrape a bunch off, but it really doesn't concern me that much.

I've heard that they will feed off of any available nutrients so they might be pinching a little food from my plants!

Good to know Rhino! I haven't opened the box yet so I have not seen their schedule.

When I'm ready to use them, I'll reach out to those who have some experience with them. :)

Thanks Stone! If you recall, did you use Remo per their feed schedule?

Thanks Smoke. The training hopefully will keep them shortish. However, I have some doubt about whether the Blue Cindy is going to be as cooperative as the other two! :rolleyes:

I'm ready for some stretch, Drekoola, then pom poms! :Rasta:
The fluorine coating is supposed to help them keep from getting gummed up. Trying to get up the nerve to chop down my first plant so, we gonna find out real soon if they work.

The fluorine coating is supposed to help them keep from getting gummed up. Trying to get up the nerve to chop down my first plant so, we gonna find out real soon if they work.
I got a pair of the Chikamasa curved scissors a few months back and love them. They are much easier on the hand (no spring), extremely sharp, and do not get gummed up as much and are easier to clean. I ended up getting a second pair for my wife after trying them out. I never knew how much the spring-loaded trimmers tired out my hand until I switched.

I got a pair of the Chikamasa curved scissors a few months back and love them. They are much easier on the hand (no spring), extremely sharp, and do not get gummed up as much and are easier to clean. I ended up getting a second pair for my wife after trying them out. I never knew how much the spring-loaded trimmers tired out my hand until I switched.
I'm getting ready to check them out on the Zon. Want to see if they come in any "manly" colors! 😁

Hey GDB, when you first started the AC self watering base, how long before it started to wick up water and saturate the bottom of the cloth pot? Put mine on the base this morning, 2 days since last tip watering, and its.not wicking. Even wet the wicks to see if that helps.

Sucks that the CJ never made it hopefully the CL straightens up i'm betting she will
Cool
Oops (for the umpteenth time)!

Don't be jealous BiggMakk. Just pretend you're on the Gold Coast and get your root on! :Rasta:

What's the benefit of the flourine coating Olddog?

Thanks Shed! :)

Thanks so much Stunger. :thanks:

I'm not sure SOG. I'm thinking it could be having too many wick lines in play with not enough roots to deal with the moisture that's present. Remember, this is my first run with the swick bases. I dare say your guess is as good as mine! Every now and then I'll take a dull knife and scrape a bunch off, but it really doesn't concern me that much.

I've heard that they will feed off of any available nutrients so they might be pinching a little food from my plants!

Good to know Rhino! I haven't opened the box yet so I have not seen their schedule.

When I'm ready to use them, I'll reach out to those who have some experience with them. :)

Thanks Stone! If you recall, did you use Remo per their feed schedule?

Thanks Smoke. The training hopefully will keep them shortish. However, I have some doubt about whether the Blue Cindy is going to be as cooperative as the other two! :rolleyes:

I'm ready for some stretch, Drekoola, then pom poms! :Rasta:
Peroxide and water would help but youll learn the wick thing Ive never tried that type of growing so i remember years ago when i was learning flood and drain lol when i first started doing a 48×48 tray i had a carpet of algie in the tray like a shag carper🤣🤣the fungus gnats loved the shit that would be one reason to get rid of the algie i figured it out after i crammed 50 containers in there to block out the light to the tray ,Donkey Dicks!

Hey GDB, when you first started the AC self watering base, how long before it started to wick up water and saturate the bottom of the cloth pot? Put mine on the base this morning, 2 days since last tip watering, and its.not wicking. Even wet the wicks to see if that helps.
Give it a few days Tim. Once they start wicking (and if they're in liquid, they have) it will still take some days before you'll be able to tell the pot is wet/moist.

Did you place the wick lines as suggested by ACI? How much water did you put in the base?

Hello all.

This week's wait between the NCAA tournament Elite Eight round (last Saturday) and its Final Four round (Saturday) is wearing on my nerves. I want Bball now!

I digress. :straightface:

--------------------

It's Flip + 3 for the New Trick girls and I think things are going well!

I gave the group a 2nd haircut today. They needed it!

Although I've complained about coco as relates to its pHing needs, I've gotta' admit that plants seem to really dig it. These girls have solid trunks, nice thick branching and they produce leaves like crazy! Things seem quite a bit more robust compared to most of my soil grows to date. :)

NT 4-3-24 F3 tent 2nd haircut.jpg

They're all drinking well. Today I filled the bases of the two plants in front (Lemon Bubble (left) & Hash Lover. Both were nearly dry after having been topped off to a gallon each 2 days ago. I'm still getting to skip a day between even thinking about watering them.

The Blue Cindy in the rear was still about half full so I left her to be. She got topped off last night with a 1/2 gallon dose of Recharge + organic calmag (@2ml per gallon).

-----------------------------

Roots are escaping the bottoms of all three plants. This is the first time I've seen them, so it must be happening fast! 🗯️

Here's beneath the LB:
LB roots 4-3-24 F3.jpg

They all pretty much look like that. I lift the plants off of the bases daily to turn them. Hopefully I'll be able to continue to do that and keep the roots from anchoring the plants to the base by getting a firm grip on the wick lines.

-----------------------------

That's all for me today. Gotta' go bake some more cannacookies. I'm out of them! :p

Thanks for your time.

PEACE

I've gotta' admit that plants seem to really dig it. These girls have solid trunks, nice thick branching and they produce leaves like crazy! Things seem quite a bit more robust compared to most of my soil grows to date. :)
😁
The Blue Cindy in the rear was still about half full
Drinking less but looks great 👌
They all look great but looks like you told the front two off old school style.

Oh and the roots looks sweet! Not sure if their was sume sort of membrane to stop them going swimming?

Give it a few days Tim. Once they start wicking (and if they're in liquid, they have) it will still take some days before you'll be able to tell the pot is wet/moist.

Did you place the wick lines as suggested by ACI? How much water did you put in the base?
Thanks. Yes, I did the way they suggested, the cross pattern and put a gallon in the base. Good to know it can take a couple of days.

Thanks. Yes, I did the way they suggested, the cross pattern and put a gallon in the base. Good to know it can take a couple of days.
I'm following your grow now, Tim.

Please don't show me up too badly with those swick bases! :Rasta:

Hello gang.

It's Day 4 for the Phase II babies.

Their pucks were nearly dry this morning. Most of the water had evaporated from the bottom of the seedling tray and I had forgotten to pour any more in. I decided to go ahead and move them to solos.
NT P2 4-4-23 D4 to solos.jpg

All of these will be raised on the General Hydroponics "Maxi" nutrient series, consisting of MaxiGrow, MaxiBloom and (maybe) their "KoolBloom" ripening formula.

They were watered in sparingly with a blend of MaxiGrow (@ 1.6grams per gal.) and Big Foot mycos (@ .25 tsp. per gallon).

----------------------------

They're looking green and lush and ready for a haircut! And it's great you can bank some non-watering days into the LazyMeter™ now before they're in full flower.
Thanks Shed. Unfortunately, the Lazy-Meter has developed tunnel-vision. It's sole focus is on the repetitive pHing. Chirp, chirp, chirp, everytime I reach for my pH pen! :straightface:
They all look great but looks like you told the front two off old school style.

Oh and the roots looks sweet! Not sure if their was sume sort of membrane to stop them going swimming?
Thanks GV! The front two were not as adversely affected by the excess light at the outset.
They are growing at a very nice speed / hard to keep up from here / but look faster!
Thanks Smoke. I'm beginning to think that maybe I should have flipped a tad bit earlier. They're starting to look like they may exceed the size I was trying for. :rolleyes:

---------------------------

Thanks for your interest.

PEACE

I must say I'm surprised your LazyMeter™ hasn't steered you into Strive and only Strive!
It is very easy to use and has produced some decent results. I'm trying to get some more at a 50% discount but they won't go beyond 30% off, as of now. I'm going to keep trying! If I can get it half off then, yeah, it may become my primary go-to. But I'll probably always be trying something new/different if I have something available. (Right now I've got the Remo set and 2 sets of FOOP organic nutrients that I have yet to use!) :Rasta:

Belated happy flip GDB. Your plants all look super.
Thanks so much Carmen!

Is it nearing the point when you'll be back in action? 🗓️

You got plans? Always gotta' have a plan! :Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom