Ghetto/DIY LED

Hey everyone, this is going to be my thread for my future build of my own LED banks. I'll be starting work on them in the new year.

Now I've done research on U tube etc and have seen some great home builds. When the time comes I plan on throwing some good money into the build. It might cost me the same or even more to build, than to buy new at first! lol. The second third and fourth though will obviously become cheaper and easier to build.

Anyway firstly I want to see if cheep ghetto Led's are an option at all. I'm not thinking for a big ass mane light here I'm thinking additional side lighting or simply small supplementary lights.

First question into the void of 420 knowledge is; Could photography quality colored filters be used to overlay high powered white LED banks?
I'm pretty sure I could find the right spectrum of filters. This would be a very simple and cost affective route. There are a number of self builds I've seen where your buying high powered white only bulbs and simply using a number of them. They seem to work well but I want the red and blue etc.

Another question is I've seen a lot of handy small LED work lights etc. Such as this
20131008_152737.jpg

Now my thoughts here are that the internal LED's are on strips. I've seen these in my research and they are available in different colours and angle of focus as well as wattage. Is ripping one of these up and switching the drivers and bulb strips out a worth while Idea.

Anyone with any Idea's or sources of materials or simply other whacky Ideas please post em up!

This will be a research and bounce board thread so all comments welcome

To answer your first question, No it would not be cost effective to use photo filters. It's much simpler and cheaper to buy the diodes for the ratio you want or to just your white diodes (an all white panel will work).

As for the work lights, 1/4 inch LED's are not worth wasting the time or money on. If your going to grow very close to the diode at all times, then you can get away with one watt LEDs, but anything below that is useless in the production of vegetation fruits and flowers. If your plants are going to be over 2 and a half to 3 foot tall you want no less than 3 watt LEDs. Led labeling of wattage works as follows: 1 watt has a max input current of 350mA, 3 watt has a max input current of 750mA, 5 watt has a max input current of 1000mA or 1amp. Voltage varies by the color of the diode and the phosphors used to produce the color. You do not drive the LEDs at that current tho, that will increase the operating temperature and shorten the lifespan.

Back
Top Bottom