Harvestright freeze dryer for weed? Done and cured in a day!

How about a closet instead of a tent?

Just wanted to post to get on this thread. Very interested in responses

Check out the thread on drying in the fridge CaliOGhead. We're starting to make progress on that approach. Same concept, without the fancy equipment we all wish we had. There's a link in one of my previous posts. :battingeyelashes:

In answer to using liquid nitrogen.... the answer is yes, but not in the method you describe. To sucxessfully freeze dry in liquid nitrogen, you will need a large watertight foam container, a system for hanging buds x 2, liquid nitrogen and most importantly, nice fat chunky buds. Quite simply pour the nitro into the foam container until app. 2" deep. This should evaporate slowly giving you a thick dense low flowing cloud. The deeper the container the longer branches can be to dry. The liquid itself can be as low as -1200°C and the core of its mist within the container as low as -700°C. Use welders gloves and goggles when working with this method. Suspend the buds within the cloud until frosty white in appearance ( yes just like in terminator). A bud should snap off the stem when frozen. Then hang the frozen bud and let it defrost naturally. Retains its size, colour, smell, and potent as f@#k. Try it. U wont be dissapointed. I joined just to share this with you guys.

Well, I tried it. What I will say is that I will be doing it again for sure. While it's dried to the right amount the colors and the smell are still just like when I chopped it down. So far it's very promising. I even made a short video of the result.
Well, I tried it. What I will say is that I will be doing it again for sure. While it's dried to the right amount the colors and the smell are still just like when I chopped it down. So far it's very promising. I even made a short video of the result.

Freeze drying your medical cannabis vs 4 week cure - YouTube
Awesome video and results. There’s very little information out there on freeze drying cannabis. And that video was 2 years ago, I think. What times did you set your freeze and dry for? Did you turn the temperature down? Our first batch was dried too long. But we were able to save it.

Awesome video and results. There’s very little information out there on freeze drying cannabis. And that video was 2 years ago, I think. What times did you set your freeze and dry for? Did you turn the temperature down? Our first batch was dried too long. But we were able to save it.
That's just it. I cannot remember what I had the times set for. Yes, it can over dry quick so it needs to be checked pretty often until a system is working. I know doing it seems to preserve all terpenes for sure. I've never had such terpy weed. That part of it's great, it does lack some what you get in a long slow cure though.

I think the ultimate way to do this would be to freeze dry just to the point where a long cure would still work.

It stops the cure fanleaf? I don’t understand why. Can you explain it? That made my brain stop dead in its tracks. :laughtwo:

It stops the cure fanleaf? I don’t understand why. Can you explain it? That made my brain stop dead in its tracks. :laughtwo:
Once weed hits around 59% rh the cure stops and that's it. I think if we were to freeze dry just until roughly 65% a long cure could still take place and then perhaps we would get the best of both worlds.

Nice! I didn't realize anyone here had a freeze drier. I've been trying to scrape together enough money to build a half ass one to use for making live rosin.
Yep, not exactly what I bought it for but it sure didnt take me long to go there lol.

Yea I bet. Hard not to at that point. Haha. Have you continued using it for Cannabis much?
Not really, not that I shouldn't. I really believe there is some amazing results to be had. Honestly I just always have 50 things on my plate and when I finish one I just always seem to take on 2 more. Perhaps it's time to hit it again on my next harvest. I can do it with much better video quality now.

I really like the idea of using freeze drying. My thought process has been mostly focused on live rosin. And with the lack of an actual freeze drier.

My plan was to try flash freezing the product before running it as water hash and then diy freeze drying said water hash for use in pressing into live rosin.

Not really, not that I shouldn't. I really believe there is some amazing results to be had. Honestly I just always have 50 things on my plate and when I finish one I just always seem to take on 2 more. Perhaps it's time to hit it again on my next harvest. I can do it with much better video quality now.

pretty sure thats what is in the picture of ed rosenthals book i have. they talk about freeze drying as a method to dry using that specific machine

I really like the idea of using freeze drying. My thought process has been mostly focused on live rosin. And with the lack of an actual freeze drier.

My plan was to try flash freezing the product before running it as water hash and then diy freeze drying said water hash for use in pressing into live rosin.
thats a great idea

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have to say after read so few articles about drying/curing flower with a freeze dryer I broke down and bought one to test out. If I could get cured flower in 24 hours, it might be worth it. (Of course its main purpose of the machine will be preserve home grown fruits and veg... otherwise the wife would not have been so happy with the price tag).

As a test, I cut flowers fresh from the plant, put them directly into the freeze dryer. Ran the machine for 26 hours. After a quick rest in a humidor, the buds were stable at 55-57%RH. They were perfectly preserved. Bright colors. Not as bright as fresh but much brighter than traditionally dried/cured. The aroma is powerful. No grassy notes at all. Smells like the most potent stuff you've ever had.

If you run a batch of nice flowers through the machine at the default temps/times/vacuum level, you will get over dried, grassy, completely freeze dried flower. Set the machine up correctly, you can have the most amazing stuff you've ever had. Buds do not shrink all.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have to say after read so few articles about drying/curing flower with a freeze dryer I broke down and bought one to test out. If I could get cured flower in 24 hours, it might be worth it. (Of course its main purpose of the machine will be preserve home grown fruits and veg... otherwise the wife would not have been so happy with the price tag).

As a test, I cut flowers fresh from the plant, put them directly into the freeze dryer. Ran the machine for 26 hours. After a quick rest in a humidor, the buds were stable at 55-57%RH. They were perfectly preserved. Bright colors. Not as bright as fresh but much brighter than traditionally dried/cured. The aroma is powerful. No grassy notes at all. Smells like the most potent stuff you've ever had.

If you run a batch of nice flowers through the machine at the default temps/times/vacuum level, you will get over dried, grassy, completely freeze dried flower. Set the machine up correctly, you can have the most amazing stuff you've ever had. Buds do not shrink all.
I agree 100%. You have to find the right settings but once you do it really is like smoking weed on a whole new level as far as aroma and terpenes go.

I would still like a freeze dryer as I still can't get the last critical stage properly done, always seem to under dry then over dry after taking that long, so being able to harvest and not loose any bud size all in a week is a mega plus for me.

I would still like a freeze dryer as I still can't get the last critical stage properly done, always seem to under dry then over dry after taking that long, so being able to harvest and not loose any bud size all in a week is a mega plus for me.

My first test was a tray of indica buds. They came out the exact same size as they went in. I post some pics when I do another batch next week. I ordered the Pharmaceutical Freeze dryer unit with 7 shelves. I didn't realize that the shelves were so close together when I ordered it. There is no space for medium/larger buds. I had to trim the colas into smaller individual buds because they simply are too big to fit in the pharmaceutical shelves. So I ordered another shelf system (The medium Home version's shelves). They will be here in a few days. I thought I could customize how many shelves there are. (Stackable). You can't They are riveted together and also hardwired with heaters on each shelf. Since cannabis flowers are so delicate, I don't think that having the larger size flowers will affect drying time/temps, but I'll know soon enough. People are blown away by the final results.... I am too. best purchase ever. The only con about the Freeze Dryer is the vacuum pump. You have to change the pump oil every time you use it. Kind of a pain in the butt. I'm going to build a oil filter system that will filter the oil while the pump is running and also filter out the water/moisture.

You sons of bitches for bumping this thread. I have never seen or heard of such a device and now I want one. Even seem to peaked the interest of my sister for when she does her vegetable garden in the summer time. (Real veggies not our type of greens) Now we’re think of spending close to what, almost $8k Cnd to get the medium size device with the oil free pump.

I hate and love you guys so much:hookah:

Back
Top Bottom