In The Lab

Got a question:

I'm starting to accumulate used first-round kit soil, and I've been keeping it in its own bin. I also have another 30 gallons of kit soil cooking. When that's ready, I'll be using it for each new pot, over time, not all at once.

I'm wondering if it would necessarily be a bad idea to mix the used soil in with the new soil. I'd add amendment and mix it up, and then dump it in with the rest and mix that up. All the roots and biota from the chopped plant would go into the new soil and blend with the rest. It seems like that would benefit both batches.

It's somewhat bad discipline, I suppose - end up mixing any pathogens - but you also mix beneficials.

Bad idea?

That's pretty much what we all do, more or less. The soil, in my experience, gets better for 3 runs and then the 4th run kinda drops off. Curso seems to be having success with his 4th run soil I think, but he adds fresh Promix and more worm castings each time, and amends with the "second run" amendment.

Perhaps he'll see this and chime in.

I put it all into a tub, mix it in with fresh amendment and worm castings and let it cook in the can for another month. I pull the root stems out, after mashing the rootballs with a shovel, but all the other roots remain and get eaten up in about 10 days. I do wet this soil down with a bit of tea in water.

Wow really liking where this is going as I have accumulated some used first run soil as well.

Round 2 soil is mixed with the same amendment as round 1?

I have two more kits and more pro mix, what if we were to cut all the used soil with fresh cooked at a 1:1 ratio? So that would be all the 2nd run soil recooked, 1:1 with another bale of fresh kit soil. And going long distance here, taking that 2.5 version soil and using second round amendment on it and cutting again 1:1 with fresh 1st round. Sounds like if we follow that plan the soil will get better till maybe round 5?

Wow really liking where this is going as I have accumulated some used first run soil as well.

Round 2 soil is mixed with the same amendment as round 1?

I have two more kits and more pro mix, what if we were to cut all the used soil with fresh cooked at a 1:1 ratio? So that would be all the 2nd run soil recooked, 1:1 with another bale of fresh kit soil. And going long distance here, taking that 2.5 version soil and using second round amendment on it and cutting again 1:1 with fresh 1st round. Sounds like if we follow that plan the soil will get better till maybe round 5?

You're on the right track for sure. We're all pioneering this stuff. There's no other information I've run across where people have grown cannabis in this fashion, with this kind of purpose. I'm sure it's been done by someone, somewhere, but that information isn't recorded or accessible, at least to me.

So, I'm learning from what you guys do. Curso has had some good success with his soil recycling. I went 4 runs and then started fresh. Huge improvement from run 4 to run 1....but runs 2 and 3 were the best.

Your theory might prove to be the best yet, because right now I have 2 amendment packages, depending on what run folks are on and things would be simpler and cheaper to have one amendment.

BTW, designing some labels next week and taking the kit to the next level as far as "professional" look. Cost should stay the same.

You're on the right track for sure. We're all pioneering this stuff. There's no other information I've run across where people have grown cannabis in this fashion, with this kind of purpose. I'm sure it's been done by someone, somewhere, but that information isn't recorded or accessible, at least to me.

So, I'm learning from what you guys do. Curso has had some good success with his soil recycling. I went 4 runs and then started fresh. Huge improvement from run 4 to run 1....but runs 2 and 3 were the best.

Your theory might prove to be the best yet, because right now I have 2 amendment packages, depending on what run folks are on and things would be simpler and cheaper to have one amendment.

BTW, designing some labels next week and taking the kit to the next level as far as "professional" look. Cost should stay the same.

I'm just beginning the fourth run and plan on starting anew afterwards if things have that "organic" look to them. I agree that runs 2 & 3 are the best. The first run wasn't bad at all. Run 3 is just amazing.

Got a question:

I'm starting to accumulate used first-round kit soil, and I've been keeping it in its own bin. I also have another 30 gallons of kit soil cooking. When that's ready, I'll be using it for each new pot, over time, not all at once.

I'm wondering if it would necessarily be a bad idea to mix the used soil in with the new soil. I'd add amendment and mix it up, and then dump it in with the rest and mix that up. All the roots and biota from the chopped plant would go into the new soil and blend with the rest. It seems like that would benefit both batches.

It's somewhat bad discipline, I suppose - end up mixing any pathogens - but you also mix beneficials.

Bad idea?
I was actually thinking along those lines for the 3 kits I used in the outdoor run that may or may not have some pathogen issues due to some high heat in the 90s during the cook. But the amendments are designed for a certain run and cutting it with a 1:1 ratio seemed like it would have altered it to a degree where the benefits go away. So I shelved that idea. I really wanted to use the 2nd run on it but like Curso said do you want to be playing nurse with potentially dead soil. Not worth it in my case but I feel robbed of that 2nd and 3rd run.

I like where this is going tho.

I will be emailing you Doc for 2 more 1st runs I need to get cooking btw.

Peace,

Any2

I need to get cooking btw.

Peace,

Any2

LOL, I've done that on every cook - started too late - darned thing sneaks up on a loadie.

whats up Doc Bud,
first off you are the man for pioneering this high brix method for us canna growers!!!!:cheer:
im new to the site due to your high brix growing specificly. due to lack of post i am unable to pm you. but if you could please get ahold me, i would like to buy your kit.i have some plants i will be cloning soon and would like to have the mix cooked by the time they are ready to go.
(thanks to graytail for pointing me in the right direction)

thanks Doc for your time and help!!

whats up Doc Bud,
first off you are the man for pioneering this high brix method for us canna growers!!!!:cheer:
im new to the site due to your high brix growing specificly. due to lack of post i am unable to pm you. but if you could please get ahold me, i would like to buy your kit.i have some plants i will be cloning soon and would like to have the mix cooked by the time they are ready to go.
(thanks to graytail for pointing me in the right direction)

thanks Doc for your time and help!!

Hello Sir,

Check your PM's!

please forgive me for any redundancy if this has been asked 1000 times already i just haven't ran across it yet and is a large concern of mine.
so once i get my kit and have my soil cooked i will only be using 2-4 5 gal smart pots depending on space.

i will have alot left over soil.... so what do you suggest i do with the remaining soil till the next grow comes around?

These have been my thoughts:
1. just keep closed and moist (if so how moist)
2. does it need remain dry more so
3. keep spraying one of the sprays from the kit on it (the myco drench possibly???)
4. maybe just maybe planting cover crops in the soil till closer to time for use??

what are your thoughts??

please forgive me for any redundancy if this has been asked 1000 times already i just haven't ran across it yet and is a large concern of mine.
so once i get my kit and have my soil cooked i will only be using 2-4 5 gal smart pots depending on space.

i will have alot left over soil.... so what do you suggest i do with the remaining soil till the next grow comes around?

These have been my thoughts:
1. just keep closed and moist (if so how moist)
2. does it need remain dry more so
3. keep spraying one of the sprays from the kit on it (the myco drench possibly???)
4. maybe just maybe planting cover crops in the soil till closer to time for use??

what are your thoughts??

Keep it in a covered bin. Temp range 70-80f. Should stay moist for 6 months if covered, mine has.

Don't spray anything on it! I'm sure at around 6 months turning the whole batch over and mixing in almost a gallon of water wouldn't hurt, but might not be needed.

The water you mix with the soil conditioner is the correct amount for a bale of soil and will wet it perfectly. The bale would have to be really wet/dry to need more or less water.

I'd save the soil for growing the best crop of all - cannabis.

And I know everyone has their reasons for doing things their way, but I would suggest using 7 gallon smart pots. I'm pretty sure a "7 gallon" smart pot is actually "7 gallon equivalent" smart pot. I know my air pots are that way. My 7gal air pot holds 5.something gallons of soil. So a 5gallon pot would hold 4.something, if even. Just a thought.

Keep it in a covered bin. Temp range 70-80f. Should stay moist for 6 months if covered, mine has.

Don't spray anything on it! I'm sure at around 6 months turning the whole batch over and mixing in almost a gallon of water wouldn't hurt, but might not be needed.

The water you mix with the soil conditioner is the correct amount for a bale of soil and will wet it perfectly. The bale would have to be really wet/dry to need more or less water.

And I know everyone has their reasons for doing things their way, but I would suggest using 7 gallon smart pots. I'm pretty sure a "7 gallon" smart pot is actually "7 gallon equivalent" smart pot. I know my air pots are that way. My 7gal air pot holds 5.something gallons of soil. So a 5gallon pot would hold 4.something, if even. Just a thought.

\What he said!

thanks for the response!!

with space constraints and the fact that i already have the 5's im just gonna have to go with it this time. next grow around ill have much more space and plan to go to 10 gal.

on a verrrry positive note i ordered my high brix kit today!! i hope it comes quick i need to get to cooking :circle-of-love::cheer::peace:

Doc, do you spray with Stress all through flower? I seem to recall you saying that Stress is not reproductive.

Doc, do you spray with Stress all through flower? I seem to recall you saying that Stress is not reproductive.

If I remember correctly over use of stress will delay flowering and possibly reduce yield? In flower I only spray if the leaves don't look fake and awesome. Twice a week in veg, and once a week after week 3 in bloom. My girls seemed to really get that plastic leaf look around week three and didn't need the 2nd weekly spray.

Well doc, my hp will be here today. I was wondering, if i used the exact same ratios can i cut the recipes in half or even a third cuz i only plan on growing two plants at a time?

Secondly, i read that you just drop the seeds in place after adding the beneficials...will this help them sprout easier? I seem to have some stubborn berries and they wont germ..getting frustrated :-/

Thanks again by the way :)

Well doc, my hp will be here today. I was wondering, if i used the exact same ratios can i cut the recipes in half or even a third cuz i only plan on growing two plants at a time?

Secondly, i read that you just drop the seeds in place after adding the beneficials...will this help them sprout easier? I seem to have some stubborn berries and they wont germ..getting frustrated :-/

Thanks again by the way :)

No problem doing that! I recommend cutting the bale in half, using half the amendment, etc. That way, you'll fill a 40 gallon can about 4/5 of the way and the soil can cook properly.

Back
Top Bottom