Indica Inda Closet: Red's First Grow Journal

Update 5-2-20
Too Hot, Too Humid!
I can feel our short northern spring is turning into a hot and humid summer quicker than I anticipated.
I keep my tiny little humidifier on full blast or "level 2" with the closet completely closed and temps reached towards 90 F and humidity was going past 80%. I also have to manually turn the humidifier down to "level 1" as the plants go to sleep, then back to level 2 when they wake up, thanks to VPD at work. I realized that this is too hot and too humid so I came up with a solution. open my closet and set another humidifier in my room on full blast. Also, I close the room door to prevent humidity from escaping. Now I walk in the room and I'm suddenly in the Bahamas. :blunt:
Here are some rough temp data from my new plan. Thought about screenshotting my Govee app chart that monitors my sensor but there's nothing interesting about those lines. :yummy:
Night environment 6 hrs(door always closed to prevent light pollution): RH: 50-60 Temp: 70-75 F
Lights on 18 hrs: RH: 40-60 Temp: 80-85
Compared with my previous numbers, this is quite the improvement. I've always been happy with my nighttime environment, except for one thing, air.
And I don't mean air circulation, specifically CO2. when the closet is closed it hardly gets any outside ventilation besides the tiny crack between carpet and door. Even with the air filter going on Med I sometimes open the closet during lights on and the air is stale and heavy. I've noticed powdery mildew on my leaves due to the high humidity so something had to change. leaving the closet door open during lights on should solve both of these problems and allow the plants to breathe better.

Double up
Here's something that adds to my problem a bit more, but it will definitely be worth it. I realized that even the 2000w LED wasn't enough for this closet with the number of plants I have in it if I run it just on VEG.
I harvested my basil the other day to make room for my two hydro totes in the other closet. I thought I might as well move my 600w LED into the veg closet. Now I have them both running just VEG. I love this :rofl:

Burning Babies
You guys were right about the N Toxicity instead of Deficiency. She's clawed out and the lower leaves are slowly dying and they're moving up the plant. The plants still have a little weight in them, but they're mostly dry. I think I'll feed them all when they wake up, 2 mixtures, one for the 1w CBD, and one for the 5w randoms. Then I will hopefully have all of my soil plants on the same feeding schedule.
I'm thinking about buying mylar for my closets to additionally help with light. Since I don't have a traditional tent, I just have white walls. Let me know what you guys think of this Vivosun mylar roll on amazon. 25 ft for $21 or 100 ft for $31.
1588448948663.png

Virus struggles
With my 2 jobs as a Retail Merchandiser, I am deemed essential and my work is still needed. I am thankful to still have both of my jobs when so many are out of work. However, retailers like Best Buy have completely cut off third party work and so went a huge chunk of my paycheck. To make a long story short, I'm broke and my clay pebble order on amazon got declined and so the delivery date got pushed back. My DWC babies will have to keep bunking together until 5-8, hopefully, sooner.

I don't have many pictures to post, basically, everything from the last update has just progressed a bit. including N toxicity.:nervous-guy: As always Grow On Blaze On :blunt:

No need to worry about co2 at night. They use co2 for photosynthesis so they don’t really use it at night. The roots however take in O2 at night, Also at night vpd doesn’t really matter but get the humidity low at night so you don’t run into any dew situations. It’s the worst. As the temp lowers the ability for the air to hold water decreases and begins to fall out. I’d 100% suggest a fan running 24/7 in there. If not there will actually be a vapor barrier formed under the leaves which can someone “choke” them up. Other words keep up the work man. If you run into problems it just means you get to learn something new and each time makes you a better grower.

I was reading up about CO2 and I was still pretty confused about when it gets used so thanks for clearing that up.
I’d 100% suggest a fan running 24/7 in there.
I have a fan on high and an air filter running 24/7, thankfully. Thanks for the help guys. :blunt:

I decided to let my LST plant loose from its ties to help it recover after the flush and feed. I propped it up with rocks. Hopefully, the leaves turn towards the light, if they don't I might put it out of its misery :( The toxicity seems to be slowing down, it's taking its time to shrivel every leaf on its way up and it hasn't reached the first node yet, so that's good news. It's in rough shape, I hope it can recover. :nervous-guy:

I was reading up about CO2 and I was still pretty confused about when it gets used so thanks for clearing that up.
I have a fan on high and an air filter running 24/7, thankfully. Thanks for the help guys. :blunt:

I decided to let my LST plant loose from its ties to help it recover after the flush and feed. I propped it up with rocks. Hopefully, the leaves turn towards the light, if they don't I might put it out of its misery :( The toxicity seems to be slowing down, it's taking its time to shrivel every leaf on its way up and it hasn't reached the first node yet, so that's good news. It's in rough shape, I hope it can recover. :nervous-guy:
They can recover from pretty much everything if u can fix it. My clones leaves were bright yellow and crispy and even they managed to come back and flourish

Update 5-4-20
This snuck up on me too fast, not much I could do
I discovered this last night. it's a mold or algae on both the Rockwool and seedling. probably from top-feeding it too much with the syringe. I let her dry out but by this morning she's a goner. RIP :rip:

The LST plant is slowly recovering and the leaves are pulling themselves back up to the light :yahoo:

I ate far too much pizza last night and now my back is more inflamed than London in WW2. Time to smoke some indica and CBD to kill the inflammation. As always guys, Grow on Blaze on. :blunt:

EDIT: pretty sure those are the same two Rockwool photos. Oh well. I was stoned yesterday and I'm stoned now. :rofl:

I'm thinking I'm going to need some cal-mag for both my soil and hydro? any recommendations?

Too bad about the seedling. Next time don't top feed. Your better off to let the roots find their way down to the res, the bubbles popping from the air stones is enough to keep the rockwool wet enough for seedlings. For Cal Mag I use remo nutrients Magnifical it's pretty good stuff but is kinda hot and can make your ppm jump up a bit. I'm looking into another option I think General Hydroponics makes one that's pretty good.

Update 5-5-2020
Disclaimer: Hello and welcome from a 3-time post-dab Red.
Reminder: any underlined parts are potential topics of discussion, I wanna hear what you think!
1588715303381.png

I'm thinking of doing a fox farm soil grow because I'm honestly upset with black gold. It costs quite a bit more but it's probably worth it, right? It's ph adjusted between 6.0 and 6.5 which is really attractive. it probably absorbs fox farm nutrients really well.

Far-Red LED lights the secret to insane yields?
I spent last night in a youtube deep dive with this fella Bruce Bugbee from the University of Utah. His lab is funded by NASA and the USDA. He says he's based his entire career on the fact that blue light actually inhibits height growth, while far-red light, over 700 nm can make plants grow taller and wider. Any light out of 400 - 700 nm has been previously ignored for growing by most. The LED research his team does focuses on food crops for the USDA and cannabis for NASA.
(some of you may know that NASA is in the process of growing cannabis in space, which is super cool. I wanna subscribe to that grow journal :rofl:)

I'll keep that simple because I think I'm gonna start a thread on this under lighting. What do you think?

Changes & Updates

My plants are doing better than before. here's a list of things I did since the last update. I think it's easier to list them off so I don't ramble lol.
- Flushed the quad line plant with 6.0-6.5 water because of NItrogen tox.
- then fed this plant with 4w nutes
- Cherry Blossom CBD was fed 2w nutes
- both hydro buckets now have 2w nutes in their last res change
- I received my net pots for my two hydro totes
- I received my Critical purple Seeds from GC
- I received some (hopefully) potent seeds from a friend named "Jackie" the plants will be named after her
- So I placed 4 seeds in a damp paper towel of 6.0-6.5 water: 1 crit purp, 2 Jackies, 1 northern lights
- My roommate got me 50$ worth of GH flora nutes! How nice of him. (he wants 50$ worth of weed when it's done:rofl:)
- I accept. :passitleft:
- I'll use these nutes in my 2 totes
- He also bought me GH Cal-Mag so I'm covered on that base.
- I harvested and dried my basil! brilliant pizza condiment. the 2nd closet is now clean and ready for totes.

Picture & Problem Time!
here's my "investment" nutes and I printed out two schedules for the flora series.
I cleaned up the closet a bit. I'm still waiting on hydroton clay pebbles
Happy plant!
I had to cover everyone with pebbles to prevent algae growth.
both of these plants developed nitrogen toxicity due to my genius. post 6.0-6.5 ph flush and 5w nutes. hopefully, they can get happy
finally, my 4 seeds a-sprouting. Should I just turn off the heat mat so they don't get too wet?

Thanks, everybody for reading. I look forward to getting my pebbles in the mail. I look forward to what you think. As always, grow on blaze on :blunt:

Update 5-6-20
So I blew up my closet with lamps for the rest of the week. The more light, the better. Until a point. I still haven't reached that point according to my crude light meter. So far, my plants seem joyous. So I'll keep it up.
The temp and humidity are still in range.
here's some update:
- I'm still setting up the other closet
- there are 3 lights in my veg closet ATM, total 3600w :rofl: still not overdoing it. Definitely wearing glasses now :nervous-guy:
- The CBD and DWC babies love that light so much. They pray with me.
- new res for both 5-gallon buckets with week 2 fox farm nutes.
exact nutes per bucket:
60 ml big bloom
40 ml grow big - about that, I found out that there is a hydro version of grow big. Thinking about getting that. I can't imagine it would be too different, but probably more suitable. What do you think? this is a pic of hydro grow big
1588790959607.png

.5 ml of part 1 and 2 of Flying skull z7
finally, I Ph'd down from about 7.3 to 5.7-5.8 with powder ph down, because I'm running out of liquid ph down. But honestly, I prefer powder better, and it's probably cheaper. What do you guys use to ph Down?

I've got more work to do and explain so I'll post another update later.

Update 5-6-2020 part 2
I had to up-pot the 5w randoms into 3 gallon pots in order to save them from their nitrogen toxicity. I used up the last of my Black Gold soil. I fed them with week 4 nutes and z7. I let them sit for 12 hours each after transplanting then I fed them.
I really hope they come back :nervous-guy:
I did a really massive order on a local online & brick and mortar hydro shop. I live nearly 2 hours away. I love supporting small businesses instead of amazon, and it's pretty easy when the nutes & supplies are half the price than on Amazon. I'll break down everything I bought when it gets here.
I already explained most of the update in part 1, now I just need to let them grow for the next few days.

Picture time
This one doesn't have roots yet.
Hopefully they send me a new one. Fingers crossed :yahoo:
the main baby in here has roots peeking out already
hooray :yahoo:
I hope these get better, there's not much I can do but wait.
I hope the other one catches up or it's hitting the block

That's all I have for now. Grow on Blaze on :blunt:

ugh I just realize that I used 2.5 ml of z7 in one gallon when I should have used .5 ml. when I was mixing the week 4 nutes for the new 3 gallon pots :nervous-guy:
The plants definitely need it to recover, I hope its not too much.

Some of these leaves are starting to get fat like the indicas they should be! they look very happy. Starting to see some recovery from my quadline plant

ugh I just realize that I used 2.5 ml of z7 in one gallon when I should have used .5 ml. when I was mixing the week 4 nutes for the new 3 gallon pots :nervous-guy:
The plants definitely need it to recover, I hope its not too much.
It’ll be fine, Z7 is an enzyme not a nutrient.

Update 5-8-2020
The random plants in 3 gallon pots are slowly showing signs of recovery. The DWC leaves are getting fat. and I finally got my clay pebbles so I set up my second closet. Here are some pics​

She may not win the photo OTM contest, but she's growing like a winner.
my entry of her:

That's all for now Grow on Blaze on :blunt:

EC was almost twice the recommended after I mixed everything in the tote and lowered ph to 5.8. So I diluted it and re ph'd and it got even higher? it was near 2200 but I got it down to 1900. recommended is 1000-1200. I'll have to watch that closely. I'm following week 2
It's a 14 gallon tote so I reckon there's 12 gallons of water, maybe I should stick with 10 for the calculations next time.
Floraseriesexpertrecircfeed.jpg

Edit: I'm stoned. read next post.

OMG the chart is in PPM :rofl: :rofl: :bongrip: :bongrip:
I checked the PPM and after the diluting, it comes out to 900. :eek: close enough. I was right the first time, I should have just switched over the meter :rofl: We'll get em next time.

Weekend Update 5-9-2020
Just got my 24 qts of fox farm ocean soil. I'm excited about the 6.0-6.5 ph adjusted soil putting in nutrient sucking work! I might just have to repot my 3 gallon plants to help in their recovery.

I'm working all weekend so there probably won't be an update until later. not much to do to the plants but watch em grow and dry out. fed the 2w almost 3w old CBD plant because she was dry and has been drinking so much. that's about it.
Grow on blaze on :blunt:

almost all the plants are praying to the light this morning. They look very happy :yummy:

I down-potted the smaller cbd plant but this time with FFOF, should see better results. just a little stunted growth.
On the DWC side, I just ran out of ph down :eek:

Back
Top Bottom