InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

This will be a bit of a long update so please bear with me!

To summarize what's growing:
•Jack Herer 1.1 has been flipped and lives in the shed at night.
•The Candida I transplanted into 7 gallons will get thinned later today.
•The Candida cutting in perlite has been put into ProMix (see below).
•The Sour G STS spray/seed-making project is underway in the tent (see below).
•The Sour G mother will stay around until any seeds harvested have been test-sprouted.
•The Summer grow is in solo cups.
•The DV clones have been upcanned (see below).
•The DV harvest has been jarred for curing (see below).

Okay here we go...

Floating perlite is easy and the only way to get the cuttings out without tearing roots. Here's how I did the Candida.

Cover the hole:

Add water so the perlite floats:

Squish the sides of the cup in various places while slowly pulling the stem out. Stop if you meet any resistance and do more squishing (or add more water). If you've left it a long time, this is what comes out (cut Feb 26):

Sprinkle @DYNOMYCO on the roots:

Plant!

Okay, moving on to the jarred Doug's Varin:

Yes sir, yes sir, six jars full.

It was time to upcan the DV clones, which have been in solo cups way too long...even the one I root pruned back on the 10th. Here they were this morning:

This is the root-pruned one:

And the untouched one, much more root-bound:

I didn't grab a razor blade but I scraped them well with my nails and broke up the clumps with my hand.

Here they are in their new homes:

The one that I didn't root prune is in the smaller pot and will be gifted in a few weeks after it settles in. It wasn't topped. The other one (root-pruned and topped) I will keep for a while as a mother.

Let's see...what's left? Oh yes, the Sour G seed-making project! I tipped the sprayed one over and tapped it onto some foil:

:yahoo:

It got very excited all over my hand:

I used that pollen and the pollen on the foil to pollinate some of the tops of the other one furthest into flower. Here are some just after I brushed it on:

I waited about 3 hours and then moved it outside into the sun. We'll see!

I also pulled off a few sacs and put them in the pollen-drying box I made last year:

It's also in the sun and tonight I'll see what comes out of them.

I think that wraps it up here. Thanks for following along and have a great weekend!

Quotes:

Be glad to. Taken yesterday of the Purple Urkle:
20220429_090507 PU roots.jpg

Thanks, I slept 2 hours which surprised me when I rolled over and it was 4:30pm. :eek:

Excellent explanation, thanks Jon!

Well-said Graytail! Rotting roots take a long time to recover. :thumb:
Good lord Shed, what an amazing and comprehensive update! You're a maniac! (in the best of ways!) Okay, so a couple things...
- superior display on how to remove cuttings from perlite, with excellent explanation
- the jarred Doug Varin - YIKES!!!! I'll take two to go please!!! That looks delicious! And voluminous!
- again, superior display on the pollenation and how that is done and made, with awesome explanation

Thanks. Great job by you as always.

Highya ITS,

Great update! I did like the pollen caper. Must be getting alot. Looks like you'll have as many seeds as you want! Happy Smokin'

Thanks for the update, Shed- very informative about transplant watering- I've been doing it wrong, probably lucky I haven't drowned anything...

Lots of interesting stuff going on in your world, Shed. Loved the Big Update. Thanks! :Rasta:

That hasn't happened to me since I was a teenager! :rofl:

I have been so unable to spend time here it's seriously bugging me. And I apologize for falling behind on what's going on in the journals I sub...I am aiming to catch up tonight with a bit of luck.

I didn't want to wait to update here until I was so far behind that it was too much to do, so here is the Monday news.

Spouts on day 13, with Purple Urkle still leading the way:

SaugaView®:

Candida on Friday:
full

Candida this morning:

I'll wait two weeks or so and flip in in the shed with the Jack Herer 1.1.

Here are some pistil shots of the Sour G this morning. Yes, they are browning and shriveling a bit but it took a few days so I won't believe there will be seeds until there are actual seeds!

Pistils brushed with pollen:

Pistils and sacs on the STS-sprayed plant:

Remember last spring when I had Black Phoebe babies tucked above the door to the shed? Well I've got a new crop, and from the position of this one I can tell that their parents have taught them the first rule of nature: don't shit where you eat:

That's it for me today. I hope your week is off to a good start and your gardens are thriving! :ciao:

Quotes:
Good lord Shed, what an amazing and comprehensive update! You're a maniac! (in the best of ways!) Okay, so a couple things...
- superior display on how to remove cuttings from perlite, with excellent explanation
- the jarred Doug Varin - YIKES!!!! I'll take two to go please!!! That looks delicious! And voluminous!
- again, superior display on the pollenation and how that is done and made, with awesome explanation
Thanks. Great job by you as always.
Thanks Jon! You can't have a jar but stop by for clones. :thumb:
Great update! I did like the pollen caper. Must be getting alot. Looks like you'll have as many seeds as you want! Happy Smokin'
Thank you Bode...but I don't trust browning pistils as a sign of anything after last year with the Candida!
Nice roots on the perlite clone! My oh my, so much going on in the garden, Shed. Good luck with the pollination project.
So much going on I was having trouble remembering it all as I made the list. :) Thanks double H!
Thanks for the update, Shed- very informative about transplant watering- I've been doing it wrong, probably lucky I haven't drowned anything...
Once you get a seed to sprout you don't seem to be doing anything wrong. :thumb:
Lots of interesting stuff going on in your world, Shed. Loved the Big Update. Thanks!
Thanks GSB! And good to hear this ↓
That hasn't happened to me since I was a teenager!
:bravo:
Nice update , You been a busy Boy .. Everything is looking good I like the Jars full of wonderful Weed !!
Very busy here. :eek: I'm hoping things will calm down a bit by week's end. Thanks sb!

I hope there's pollen!
Looks like it! Those are nice looking sacs!
Here it is this morning:
All caught on through brilliant watering!
There ya go!:party:
Yes sir, yes sir, six jars full.
And beautiful nugs each one!
Yes, they are browning and shriveling a bit but it took a few days so I won't believe there will be seeds until there are actual seeds!
That's what I feel every time too. Go pollen go!

I have been so unable to spend time here it's seriously bugging me. And I apologize for falling behind on what's going on in the journals I sub...I am aiming to catch up tonight with a bit of luck.

I didn't want to wait to update here until I was so far behind that it was too much to do, so here is the Monday news.

Spouts on day 13, with Purple Urkle still leading the way:

SaugaView®:

Candida on Friday:
full

Candida this morning:

I'll wait two weeks or so and flip in in the shed with the Jack Herer 1.1.

Here are some pistil shots of the Sour G this morning. Yes, they are browning and shriveling a bit but it took a few days so I won't believe there will be seeds until there are actual seeds!

Pistils brushed with pollen:

Pistils and sacs on the STS-sprayed plant:

Remember last spring when I had Black Phoebe babies tucked above the door to the shed? Well I've got a new crop, and from the position of this one I can tell that their parents have taught them the first rule of nature: don't shit where you eat:

That's it for me today. I hope your week is off to a good start and your gardens are thriving! :ciao:

Quotes:

Thanks Jon! You can't have a jar but stop by for clones. :thumb:

Thank you Bode...but I don't trust browning pistils as a sign of anything after last year with the Candida!

So much going on I was having trouble remembering it all as I made the list. :) Thanks double H!

Once you get a seed to sprout you don't seem to be doing anything wrong. :thumb:

Thanks GSB! And good to hear this ↓

:bravo:

Very busy here. :eek: I'm hoping things will calm down a bit by week's end. Thanks sb!
In the last tent I had some branches on the Dos Si Dos that pistils emerged from and quickly turned brown on the ends like that, and a few predicted seeds in those branches. I was happy to find there was nary a seed on the entire plant!! So it's not a sure thing, eh? Pulling for no seeds for you!!!

Yes, they are browning and shriveling a bit but it took a few days so I won't believe there will be seeds until there are actual seeds!
Anxiety provoking! It's exciting. Those sacs look amazing. May that pollen take! Candida looks happy and so do the little ones. Have you got a moment to explain the pipe cleaner to me please Shed? I've seen you use them before but haven't followed closely enough to know what you're doing there.

So busy everywhere else I forgot about my own journal!
I’ve missed a bunch over here Shed! Lots of exciting things going on especially the seed making and the new babies! .
Thanks N and glad you could make it back!
Most excellent update, Shed!
The Candida got quite the trim.
Love the new seeds forming. Does that mean she's preggers?
Thanks Grateful, I sure hope so, but I'm not counting my eggs before they're chickens!
Go pollen go!
:cheer:
Pulling for no seeds for you!!!
No no I'm trying to make seeds! I've been trying forever starting with GA3 at many different dilutions on many different plants and then last year with STS on a Candida. I need you to pull for seeds. :)
Anxiety provoking! It's exciting. Those sacs look amazing. May that pollen take! Candida looks happy and so do the little ones. Have you got a moment to explain the pipe cleaner to me please Shed? I've seen you use them before but haven't followed closely enough to know what you're doing there.
Thanks Carmen!
You mean the pipe cleaner on the Purple Urkle? It's just tied around two barbecue skewers as support in the wind.

Wow Shed I just got caught up on the last week or so and what great reading. The part about watering the root ball was really helpful. Could 'transplant shock' just be the root ball drying out while they wait for the pot to get lighter to water? I know that happened to me, and I didn't even recognize what was happening until you pointed it out here.
Floating the seedlings in perlite is a great idea too, and you tutorial made it seem really easy. Thanks again for all the great tips!

:cheer: go seeds :cheer:go seeds We are Hans and Franzt, and we are here to PUMP YOU UP :yahoo:
LOLOL thanks dynamo! Every morning I shake the STS plant over tin foil, pluck off a few sacs, put everything in the pollen drying box, paint the pistils on the other two with whatever there is on the parchment, and an hour later move those two outside.

I also bumped the MarsHydro SP250 in the tent from 65w to 165w since the STS lives in there full time. I had the wattage low because I recall @ChefDGreen saying something about not blasting them with light when you're trying to reverse. I guess I should have increased it as soon as I saw the sacs emerge, but if this all works then I did it perfectly. :cheesygrinsmiley:
sounds like the new owners at work have found you something to do in your down time ! Been there and had to tell them that is not the way I work LOL
Har! You tell 'em sb. :high-five:
Wow Shed I just got caught up on the last week or so and what great reading. The part about watering the root ball was really helpful. Could 'transplant shock' just be the root ball drying out while they wait for the pot to get lighter to water? I know that happened to me, and I didn't even recognize what was happening until you pointed it out here.
Floating the seedlings in perlite is a great idea too, and you tutorial made it seem really easy. Thanks again for all the great tips!
Thanks BudMan! I think there are a few factors to transplant shock and that could be one of them. Over-watering is another as well as trying to make the plant do full-on photosynthesis and get used to the new space at the same time. Since I changed watering technique and leave them in dappled sunlight for 3 days after upcan I've notice they don't show any stress at all.

Oh, just wanted to mention that I was floating out clones from the perlite, but sprouts are done the same way. Learned that technique from @beez0404 who actually was using seedlings!
What up shed. Looks good bro. Just had come check on ya. See how the masters are doing
Hey 7D2! Not sure what the masters are up to but I'm still plugging away. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom