InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Thanks!

Looks like you have your choice!
1668207659439.png

1668207680620.png

And my email confirmation says we bought "Le Crème."

Screenshot_20221111-150651_BlueMail.jpg

I dropped the accent to make "creme" easier to search for later.
Yep, you're right. I saw the starts but the seeds are definitely labeled differently. I withdraw my motion.

Thanks!

Looks like you have your choice!
1668207659439.png

1668207680620.png

And my email confirmation says we bought "Le Crème."

Screenshot_20221111-150651_BlueMail.jpg

I dropped the accent to make "creme" easier to search for later.
Sacrebleu! :)

Anyone in the mood for an oil-making pictorial for the Monday update? Anyone? 🦗

Well I'm going to plow ahead anyway with many pics of the process!

I ran out of CBD oil last week (which I make with my Candida), so it was time to whip up another batch. This is my process, which works just as well for making THC oil. I use a Magical Butter machine (MB), and though they're not a sponsor here anymore, I still highly recommend one if you will be doing this often.

If you just need occasional small batches, you can do that in a jar in the oven (a few pics down in this post), or a crock pot with a good temperature control. Some folks use the instantpot but I don't have one. If you want to see that process it's here.

Also, note in advance that I use extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Sue always taught us the EVOO is for medical uses and coconut oil (or butter) is for recreational...not that there are recreational uses for CBD!

Let's get started. First up is to measure out the flowers to be decarbed. I wanted to end up with about 50g so I went with 55g:

Some of that weight is moisture so it will be lighter when decarb is done. Speaking of decarb, I set the oven for 240ºF (116ºC):

While it was heating up, I put the flowers in a foil pouch:

I don't completely seal it because I want the moisture to escape, but it's a trade off between that and terpene retention.

And when the oven hits temp, in goes the pouch:

I do 90 minutes to allow the buds inside the foil to reach temp and stay there for about an hour. While that's cooking I get the MB machine ready, starting with 16 ounces of EVOO:

In it goes:

That's the minimum you can make in the MB so for smaller batches, see above!

When the buds are done, the pouch goes in the fridge for a quick cool down to allow the terps to settle back into the flowers (allegedly). Then they go into the MB:

Where they just sit on top! That's no good, so grab an implement:

And start smashing the buds into the oil. The more bud there is the more smashing needs to be done:

That's better! Then the top goes on the MB where time and temperature is set:

If you are running this in the oven, grind your flowers after decarb and get as close to 160º as you can (my oven starts at 170ºF) and shake periodically. The MB machine has a spinning blade at the bottom so it grinds and mixes in the oil every so often.

After 8 hours, the machine goes off (or the jar comes out of the oven) and I let it sit for 24 hours. Why? I'm doing a loose approximation of what @Derbybud described here. Short but interesting read!

After a 24 hour rest it gets another 8 hour run as before.

As soon as it's done (and well before it cools), it's time to mix in the Liquid Sunflower Lecithin (LSL). It's mixed at 1 tablespoon/cup of oil and it's very thick, so it will really only mix while the oil is hot:

LSL is an emulsifier that evenly distributes the cannabinoids throughout the oil and increases their availability to the body. And why after infusion? Because @Cannasavvy ran tests adding it before and after, and after was much better. Her posts on it start here.

Now, let's go back and get the oil from the MB. The grinding throws bits of plant up the sides, so a flexible spatula will push it all back in:

Then I pour it through the included straining bag, twist it closed, and use the silicone heat-proof glove to squeeze the oil out of the mash

If you really want to get as much as possible, you can use a homemade press like this for extra squeezing (this mash was in cheesecloth):

full

Here is the mash after I got as much oil out as I could:

I guess you could find a use for it (apparently you can put small amounts of oil in a compost pile), and Sue used to actually use her THC mash when she cooked brownies!

Anyway, here is the oil after stirring:

There is still plant matter in the oil that makes it through the mesh (from all the grinding), which you could re-filter through a tighter mesh if it matters. This oil is going into 1ml capsules so it's not a concern.

It gets covered and put in the fridge overnight for the LSL to work its magic, and here it was this morning, transferred into a jar for longer-term fridge storage:

I have 4 bottles of oil in the fridge so labeling is important.

By my rough calculations, this oil should be around 13.7mg CBD/ml, and I use @Oldbear's spreadsheet to run my numbers. PM me if you're interested in how that's done.

That's it for me today. I hope it's helpful even if you don't have a Magical Butter machine!

:thanks: for stopping by.
Hi Shed, please and thank you,! I'm getting to the cbd oil. Since my bud is ~10% and yours is ~15% cbd. If I use 2 cups of evoo and 50% more bud I'll have the same resulting cbd %? So 2 cups oil and 75 to 80 grams of bud?
I have size 00 caps. Is that what you fill?
@13.7 mg/ml a size 00 cap holding .75 ml = 10.275 mg cbd/cap?

Sacrebleu!
IKR?
Hi Shed, please and thank you,! I'm getting to the cbd oil. Since my bud is ~10% and yours is ~15% cbd. If I use 2 cups of evoo and 50% more bud I'll have the same resulting cbd %? So 2 cups oil and 75 to 80 grams of bud?
I have size 00 caps. Is that what you fill?
@13.7 mg/ml a size 00 cap holding .75 ml = 10.275 mg cbd/cap?
I have 00 caps at .93ml so if you're trying to hit 10mg/capsule using a MB machine, here are the numbers I would use:

2 cups EVOO
60g (post decarb weight) Candida flower (at 10% CBD)
8 hours @ 160º
rest 12-24 hours
8 hours @ 160º
2 Tbs LSL

Refrigerate overnight
Bring to room temp, shake, make caps!

60g at 85% efficiency in the MB gets you to 10.78mg/ml. 10.78 * 0.93 = 10.03mg/capsule.
welcome to sheds winter grow YES !! Stone i don't think the % is going up no matter how much more weed you add , just make more , but i am no rocket seintest lOL
LOL thanks sb!

IKR?

I have 00 caps at .93ml so if you're trying to hit 10mg/capsule using a MB machine, here are the numbers I would use:

2 cups EVOO
60g (post decarb weight) Candida flower (at 10% CBD)
8 hours @ 160º
rest 12-24 hours
8 hours @ 160º
2 Tbs LSL

Refrigerate overnight
Bring to room temp, shake, make caps!

60g at 85% efficiency in the MB gets you to 10.78mg/ml. 10.78 * 0.93 = 10.03mg/capsule.

LOL thanks sb!
Thanks for the wizardry Shed! .93 it is. East coast math, ptoey!

Sweetness on your winter grow. I enjoy my winter grows as it helps with the heating.

Im going to give another go here of following along and see if I can learn something retain it and make it useful. cheers

Sweetness on your winter grow. I enjoy my winter grows as it helps with the heating.

Im going to give another go here of following along and see if I can learn something retain it and make it useful. cheers
Whoa...a Nev sighting! Welcome back. :ciao:

I hope you've been well since your last grow and I'm glad you stopped by!
Thanks for the wizardry Shed! .93 it is. East coast math, ptoey!
LOL! Glad to help. :)

Monday update on the winter grow!

I'm pretty sure the sprouts were listening when I mentioned that I was going to need to keep the plants small to fit in the tent. :)

It's day 5 for the Le Creme CBGs and they are finally starting to look like plants, and Amnesia Lemon Kush still looks the same on day 4 as it did on day 1.

On the plus side, they're alive! Here they are as "the winter grow":

SaugaView®:

And individually, LeC 1:

LeC 2:

ALK:

They get about 7 hours of direct sunlight/day and spend the rest of the time on the heat mat under the 23w 6500K curly CFL bulb.

In other plant news, I transplanted the lime clone from 1 gallon to 5 and put it in ProMix HP because I still have a bag to go through.

And I took off the two lower nodes, scraped the lower inch of stem, swirled them in old Dip'n Grow, and sunk them in a solo cup of ProMix. Here they are:

We'll see!

I hope your weekend went well, and since folks all over this site are getting Covid, that means it's coming back with the cold weather. Stay safe out there!

:peace:

That ALK is a little cutie. Looking forward! :Rasta:

I'm pretty sure the sprouts were listening when I mentioned that I was going to need to keep the plants small
On the plus side, they'll be pretty easy to schlep around for awhile...😉

I'm a The Voice addict and I caught a song with a lyric in it tonight ... thought y'all would appreciate it.

"You can't buy happiness but you can buy dirt."

:cheesygrinsmiley: :slide:

Heheh, yeah. Gonna try to remember that one.

Back
Top Bottom