InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Anyone looking for the Ruby Tuesday auto harvest, it's back here! :)

Ruby cleaned up well!
Thanks GDB, I hope it smokes as good as it (now) looks!
The harvest looks good, Shed. There's sparkle and the texture looks right. There are some decent buds there. How much do you think it will weigh dry? Will the cure redistribute the moisture in all the right ways?
Thank you Carmen! Once the water was gone from the leaves with the fan it all seemed much more like a normal harvest during trimming. And I think since it was wet all the way through (as all my washed harvests are), it should dry evenly as normal.

Right now the box is in the garage at around 57ºF and 59% RH, with the fan aimed at the lower holes, so I'm hoping for smooth sailing for the next 5 days or so. And I've long ago given up guessing final weights at harvest. :)
strange how the one just died, nice looking bud though did you get rid of the PM? congrates on the harvest
IKR? And I'm not sure I ever did get rid of the PM, but since I've read that "straight water is its enemy because it washes off the spores before they have time to embed," I'm hoping that it's all over but the shouting for PM on that one. Thanks con!

I measure grams/day
It was this that did for me! D’uh! Should have activated my Aussie dictionary.

also works for those selling into a hungry market!

Its the last dance. (I know, I know, really this time!) I think, as I know I said before its a great metric. I also like sorta as an indoor grower g/watt number. Though I have thought how those numbers might be massaged by an LED light vendor. Examples:

Me - I had a 480w light and grew 480g in 100 days so my g/w is 1g/watt

Manufacturer Marketing Dept: we had a 480w light and grew 480g in 100 days so my g/watt is 1.45 Because the first 20 days were at 20% 96 watts x hours used and my second 20 days were at 40% so thats 292 watts x hours… ai need to edit this bit to add a basic sheet to explain my thinking. It matches around how much I miss the MH claims when we’re at our best with Co2 which should give us some coverage for our own less than perfect grow abilities!

1707627509894.png

But that's well over my normal good numbers of about 2+/day.
I could tell you what ours were in our latest 5x5 but it'll probably give Jon way too much cause to bash me for ineptitude 😂. Or not? 🤔. Hehe
There's senescence and there's early demise. I've got the latter and GDB has the former on Copy and Paste.

For sure, that’s a bit different but you have the strain guidance for that. it was more a general thing as I was first taught to look for the plant dying. Trich inspections with loupes in a field aren’t common and my basic learning was from a predominantly Outdoor or Greenhouse grower I just feel like its something overlooked for many people’s learning. You know, someone’s there with the loupe looking for the perfect balance when you might tap them on the shoulder and say, “look at that plant, its hit senescence and betcha its a prime disease candidate - oh wait that's mould”

& Co will often be like - Oh its started dying, how long we risk? The loupe cam is just me really.

IKR? And I'm not sure I ever did get rid of the PM,

Looking forward to my Philips TUC UVC T8's coming up. They work best after lights out when the PM defenses are switched off - and triggered inside the tent/room fully sealed to protect your eyes. I wonder if peroxide dosing would be similarly more effective if you applied a foliar spray just before lights out?

Nick

Its the last dance.
Looking forward to my Philips TUC UVC T8's coming up. They work best after lights out when the PM defenses are switched off - and triggered inside the tent/room fully sealed to protect your eyes.
If this is your last dance why are you buying UVC lighting? On top of which I don't recall you posting about a PM problem. :hmmmm:
I also like sorta as an indoor grower g/watt number.
G/w is a good number if you're trying to gauge the efficiency of your lighting and justify the electric bill. I'm not sure it tells you as much about which varieties to grow and for how long (that "how long" part is important to g/day) to maximize the harvest for time spent.
I could tell you what ours were in our latest 5x5 but it'll probably give Jon way too much cause to bash me for ineptitude. Or not?
More ammunition for Jon will just increase the number of posts saying he's going to kick your ass as well as the ones where he says he knew all along you would beat him. There should be a running tally of each type to see which one prevails in the end!
For sure, that’s a bit different but you have the strain guidance for that. it was more a general thing as I was first taught to look for the plant dying. Trich inspections with loupes in a field aren’t common and my basic learning was from a predominantly Outdoor or Greenhouse grower I just feel like its something overlooked for many people’s learning. You know, someone’s there with the loupe looking for the perfect balance when you might tap them on the shoulder and say, “look at that plant, its hit senescence and betcha its a prime disease candidate - oh wait that's mould”
Plants dying from old age is an interesting discussion when folk think they might have a deficiency toward the end of flower and wonder if they should act on it. In the case of my plants, leaf senescence is not relevant.
& Co will often be like - Oh its started dying, how long we risk? The loupe cam is just me really.
Of course you're a loupe cam as that would fall under the "eyes" category. ;)
I wonder if peroxide dosing would be similarly more effective if you applied a foliar spray just before lights out?
I tried peroxide when I first started seeing PM on my plants (3% undiluted) but didn't find it effective. Potassium bicarbonate is next on my list since it's $12.50/lb on Amazon. I'll test that when PM shows up on my next grow.

I think that Ruby Tuesday was just an unusually proud plant that saw its slaughter day coming and chose to commit a plant form of hari-kari instead. Its buds scrubbed up nicely, it'll be interesting how you find it once cured.

If this is your last dance why are you buying UVC lighting? On top of which I don't recall you posting about a PM problem. :hmmmm:
Yeah a little PM on the lowers of a Trop Banana, the one I broke the big stem of and made strong enough to drive a challenger tank over. But It would be bad business not to. One Philips UVC is $20 with fittings here - cheaper in Europe at €11 as they’re “Proudly made in Poland”
Though a Dutch company. They need 30 minutes occasionally during the dark period when the PM defences are shut down. I have say 8 lights. Lets say I assign 1kg yield per light and $3000 potential thats $24000. Even me and no one else on the island had ever had PM - unlikely as its the most prevalent mould type in plants on the planet - for $20 into a $24,000 crop income I’d still buy one. Be crazy not to?

Applying the peroxide during hours of darkness was my specific suggestion as you’d said you’d not had success with it before. I know that UVC is only effective during the night because if it was effective during the day the sun would kill it. Maybe its a related defence mechanism?

Yeah per gram and day both have their merits. There’s no single thing indoor grams per day - dunno you got the veg of your choosing skews it a bit for me. Auto growers might find it particularly interesting for strains?

And yes your plants for sure are a special case, I’m bizarrely reminded of a Pacific Islander wearing a beautiful grass skirt with a perfect gradient yellow to green from bottom to top! 😂

I think that Ruby Tuesday was just an unusually proud plant that saw its slaughter day coming and chose to commit a plant form of hari-kari instead. Its buds scrubbed up nicely, it'll be interesting how you find it once cured.
LOL thanks Stunger...sounds like a short story in the making! Since these seeds were a gift from Justin I will try for a better smoke report than my wife's. :thumb:
Yeah a little PM on the lowers of a Trop Banana, the one I broke the big stem of and made strong enough to drive a challenger tank over. But It would be bad business not to. One Philips UVC is $20 with fittings here - cheaper in Europe at €11 as they’re “Proudly made in Poland”
Though a Dutch company.
You do like your Dutch!
during the dark period when the PM defences are shut down.
Yes thanks, you learned that here. ;)
Applying the peroxide during hours of darkness was my specific suggestion as you’d said you’d not had success with it before. I know that UVC is only effective during the night because if it was effective during the day the sun would kill it. Maybe its a related defence mechanism?
Never thought of that! Though it's specifically PM's resistance to UV light that turns off at night so I'm not sure the same applies to applied foiliars, but I'll see if there's a way to include that variable in future PM tests.
There’s no single thing indoor grams per day
Van Stank grew indoors almost exclusively and found it helpful.
dunno you got the veg of your choosing skews it a bit for me.
Including veg is an important element. The grams/day number let's you know if you can veg X variety for 50 days and get the same g/day as Y variety that vegged for 70 days, then you can turn over your harvests more productively with X.
And yes your plants for sure are a special case, I’m bizarrely reminded of a Pacific Islander wearing a beautiful grass skirt with a perfect gradient yellow to green from bottom to top!
:laugh: Thanks?

One last thought...are you 100% certain that the plants won't see any of the spectrum those bulbs put out? I don't know if the tested plants were short-day plants. You wouldn't want to gas-lantern your $24 grand worth of crops!
Not certain but it seems no one is absolutely certain on how the mechanics of hermies work. I’ve see some commercial grows using it so I’m gonna go with its not risky from a light point of view - @Keffka I think tried to teach me a bit about the wavelengths which triggered it most.

Here’s a more general exposition of herma..ism in Cannabis Sativa you get me my spelling is off with one hand 😅

However, first grow to try it are gonna be the Canuk Regs - its a choice with merits as they’re Bruce Banner #3 crossed with Gorilla Glue. #4 I know from experience and read others here anecdotally that the BB love to throw nanners even with no stress! Plus UVC damages DNA and RNA so of I get some weird but useful mutation through radiation well ai’d call that serendipitous given the Banner/Hulk parent!

Perhaps we’ll get a new strain NickHardy #17 sometime in the future! & Co literally just telling me she’s reading when/if it gets banned here exports are going to be OK - maybe I can become a legal breeder and you can pick up 40-45 Seeds at @Herbies Seeds one day!

Exports OK lolz but local not. Mad world. This is in a government Line Messenger group. Line or WeChat is what Elon Musk wants to copy for X.

Messaging/Shopping/Banking/Taxes/ID/Government access is all run by those two apps in China and its spreading regionally. In this case its great, its a massive chat group with a bunch of growers directly communicating with the government departments directly. But less so when the PRC or a lunatic Rock Spider are running the show!

Not certain but it seems no one is absolutely certain on how the mechanics of hermies work.
That's as may be, but I don't consider the uncertainty of how it happens to be a reason to take chances that you'll be hitting the flowers with some visible light (to them) when the UVC is on.

I'm sure the manufacturer knows the full light spectrum emitted, so an email would be in order if this were my grow and I had $24,000 riding on it. But that's just me.
Here’s a more general exposition of herma..ism in Cannabis Sativa
Here's an interesting piece of info they found:

"Uniquely, hermaphroditic inflorescences produced seeds which gave rise only to genetically female plants."
Perhaps we’ll get a new strain NickHardy #17 sometime in the future!
:popcorn:
& Co literally just telling me she’s reading when/if it gets banned here exports are going to be OK - maybe I can become a legal breeder and you can pick up 40-45 Seeds at @Herbies Seeds one day!
:popcorn:
Sorry to disagree. It would give a wrong impression if every plant were perfect in every way. I'm seeing a great grow with a fine harvest, maybe a slightly different ending that expected! Now it's up to the testers
Oh you are and always have been the sweetest! I'd take perfect in some way for these three, but as you said, the harvest looks good so far.

:thanks: Otter.

Hi Shed well may not look the best but there is weed there that looks pretty damn good after the trim , hope it still has a nice taste to it and the high is where it should be for an early harvest .
Thanks sb! They really did clean up well in the end, which is always what we tell folks with ugly plants: "They'll look much better trimmed up!"

My wife tried the tester bud from the trich pics in the Nova Cipher (which came out for the first time in a year!), and she said it tasted nice, not too green (considering it was two days off the plant), but since she smoked it after hitting the bong with something else it was too hard to even get an "it gets me high" review. I'll see what I can get from her after she's had an hour away from the pipe/vape. :)

I'm sure the manufacturer knows the full light spectrum emitted, so an email would be in order if this were my grow and I had $24,000 riding on it. But that's just me.
Not sure how far I’ll get with Philips. But in the UK they seem to be restricted - business to business sales only. Smaller company I might get more traction on a response like the vendor there.

They are used for plants and food stuffs but only 6% of plant genus (?) I think the article says are capable of hermaphroditism so they may not have much experience - but yeah worth an email.

My testing was/is going to be:

I have 12 Canuk Regs recently flipped to sex them. By this time next week they should show sex, so I can cull the males. I’ll wait a little more before trialing the UVC light, get it on for week 3 flower which is I understand the most sensitive week.

Its sort of a no lose gamble! I have a bottle of @SeedsMan STS spray - when I top the ladies I’m going to clone from the tops and apply the STS to them to breed with the originals to create S1 Females. If any of the 6* (assuming 50/50 distribution) hermie before I reintroduce the clones then I know the light is no good after lights out but I still get nearly the same outcome as I wanted anyway and I just won‘t introduce it to the other plants in the other tents/room.

It seems (without getting into are the offspring of hermies actually as good as more correctly bred plants if such a thing) like a reasonable real world test. What would be a possible bonus. Say 2 out of the six are fine and four hermie. As soon as they showed signs of turning I could cull them, S1 the two that remain and have seeds of phenos that have more robust protection from hermaphroditism which would be a useful trait.

Sorry that’s quite long but wanted to “show my working”

An additional thought is if the light is not suitable for use after lights out I could try it for the first 30 minutes of the day, perhaps the protection takes time to “warm up”! The light will still be useful additional disinfection between the current grows so all will not be in vain!

I’ll cover my experiences in my @Canuk Seeds grow next week if anyone is interested.

Nick

They are used for plants and food stuffs but only 6% of plant genus (?) I think the article says are capable of hermaphroditism so they may not have much experience - but yeah worth an email.
I specifically mentioned the gas-lantern routine in my original reply not because I was worried about the plants herming, but because I was concerned that they wouldn't flower correctly with the dark time being interrupted.
An additional thought is if the light is not suitable for use after lights out I could try it for the first 30 minutes of the day, perhaps the protection takes time to “warm up”! The light will still be useful additional disinfection between the current grows so all will not be in vain!
That seems safer regardless, and definitely do it just before lights on to make sure the PM is in its UV-vulnerable state. We don't know how long it takes after sunset for the PM to switch off its protection system.

How about a Tuesday update to show that I have two not-yet-dead plants!

Let's start with the Queen G auto on day 86, about 54 days since pistils:

Maybe spraying down your plants while hitting them with at 24/0 and 50 DLI isn't a good idea? Probably should have done what I tell other folks to do, which is spray at lights out. That would mean I would have had to turn the light off, which would have left the tent in the mid-60º. Still might have been a better decision. :hmmmm:

Anyway, here's the QGa2 on day 78 (about 43 days since pistils), which still has green on it

I sprayed some of the lowers on this with citric acid since there is still some PM hiding down there. Other than that, they're both still drinking as much as they were so I'm hoping they're happy if ugly.

That's it for my proof of life, and whenever I'm feeling shitty about my plants I like to look longingly at this pic from my backyard in the summer of 2019:

full

:)

Quote:
Have I been literally, gas lit?!
No, but reading is fundamental!
There a few bits of growing going on in the little experiment so look forward to it.
Going to be a fun way to ride into the sunset... 🌇

How about a Tuesday update to show that I have two not-yet-dead plants!

Let's start with the Queen G auto on day 86, about 54 days since pistils:

Maybe spraying down your plants while hitting them with at 24/0 and 50 DLI isn't a good idea? Probably should have done what I tell other folks to do, which is spray at lights out. That would mean I would have had to turn the light off, which would have left the tent in the mid-60º. Still might have been a better decision. :hmmmm:

Anyway, here's the QGa2 on day 78 (about 43 days since pistils), which still has green on it

I sprayed some of the lowers on this with citric acid since there is still some hiding down there. Other than that, they're both still drinking as much as they were so I'm hoping they're happy if ugly.

That's it for my proof of life, and whenever I'm feeling shitty about my plants I like to look longingly at this pic from the summer of 2019:

full

:)

Quote:

No, but reading is fundamental!

Going to be a fun way to ride into the sunset... 🌇
Those autos look about done as you're with them Lol! but they do look good, how did the banana gas with those old seeds turn out or still underway ?

Maybe spraying down your plants while hitting them with at 24/0 and 50 DLI isn't a good idea? Probably should have done what I tell other folks to do, which is spray at lights out. That would mean I would have had to turn the light off, which would have left the tent in the mid-60º. Still might have been a better decision. :hmmmm: * Hard to say but there is a pretty big difference , still plenty of buds !

Back
Top Bottom