InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Greetings all and a belated happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it! Not a lot going on worth talking about but I did do a dry ice hash run on some old and new stuff, so that can be my Tuesday afternoon update.

First off, the Queen G auto 2 with the mold settled at 62% in the turkey bag, so I weighed it:

That's 105g or 3.7 ounces, so not as much as the one where I didn't cut it down to just 8 colas. That's not my normal style anyway and it does work for a lot of folks, but not for me. I can say it had a very sweet and fruity scent to it.

Next stop for those flowers was the oven on a baking tray. I ran them for 20 minutes at 175ºF (lowest my new oven goes), but then I decide to do another 30 minutes at 200º. Not enough to decarb but hopefully no mold survives at that temp.

And from there it got sent to -109ºF when I converted it to dry ice hash! :)

My son and I picked up 10lbs of dry ice, grabbed a 73 micron hash bag, and ran four batches of flower from mostly old stock. I ground it up loosely (not too fine) first, and for the record, here are the four batches:

• Sour G from 10/7/19 and droughted Sour G from 11/14/21
• Doug's Varin (no THCV) from 4/29/22 and Durban Poison from 2/21/21
• PowerPlant from 10/3/20 and Purple Urkle from 10/15/22
• Queen G auto 2 from 3/29/24

We shook for less time than we did a year ago to make sure we didn't get plant material (if it even goes through a 73 mesh screen...dunno), and we tried shaking it into a plastic bag as @GratefulBud explained, but the cold split the bag in a few seconds, so we went back to using the mirror (seen here from my last go when we used 120 micron).

Here are the results:

I didn't weigh flower vs hash so I have no idea about yield, but I do know that it's difficult to use the color change method for knowing when to stop shaking if you're working with older flower since it's brown to start with as you can see in the pic. The only blonde hash was from the brand new QGa2.

It's drying in a closet with a mini-dehuey at the moment because @HashFart said dryer was better. That's a great smelling closet for sure!

On the Candida seed making front, it's flip day 10 and there are neither pistils nor balls yet, so I'm still spraying every 3 nights. As I recall, Candidas are slower to flower than other plants (@Heavenly Hybrid might be able to confirm that since she's grown them more recently than I have). Either way...we'll see soon I hope.

Thanks for stopping by!

Quotes:

Thanks Grateful! I have much more fun growing outside (I'd have more next to a pool) but I found growing only inside kind of a drag.

Thank you Boo! All are well. My daughter and her BF are off camping for the week and my son went back up to school yesterday, and we're back to being empty nesters until mid-May. :)
Congrats on the hash haul!
I was wondering if a turkey bag would freeze and split while trying to make dry ice hash and now I know. I still like the concept of shaking the 73micron bag into larger bag. Less of a mess. Or I need as larger mirror.

I was wondering if a turkey bag would freeze and split while trying to make dry ice hash and now I know. I still like the concept of shaking the 73micron bag into larger bag. Less of a mess. Or I need as larger mirror.
WooHoo! I started using a large totes with a plastic sheet under them for easy cleaning! Shake in the first one for a few minutes for the purest hash for smoking, then finish in the second one for making edibles, capsules...

I imagine your son will be popular on his return to college....
If he’s anything like his father I’m sure he’s already popular. But now he’ll just have more friends visiting him trying to get in on a little hash action. lol 😂 CL🍀:bongrip:

Greetings all and a belated happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it! Not a lot going on worth talking about but I did do a dry ice hash run on some old and new stuff, so that can be my Tuesday afternoon update.

First off, the Queen G auto 2 with the mold settled at 62% in the turkey bag, so I weighed it:

That's 105g or 3.7 ounces, so not as much as the one where I didn't cut it down to just 8 colas. That's not my normal style anyway and it does work for a lot of folks, but not for me. I can say it had a very sweet and fruity scent to it.

Next stop for those flowers was the oven on a baking tray. I ran them for 20 minutes at 175ºF (lowest my new oven goes), but then I decide to do another 30 minutes at 200º. Not enough to decarb but hopefully no mold survives at that temp.

And from there it got sent to -109ºF when I converted it to dry ice hash! :)

My son and I picked up 10lbs of dry ice, grabbed a 73 micron hash bag, and ran four batches of flower from mostly old stock. I ground it up loosely (not too fine) first, and for the record, here are the four batches:

• Sour G from 10/7/19 and droughted Sour G from 11/14/21
• Doug's Varin (no THCV) from 4/29/22 and Durban Poison from 2/21/21
• PowerPlant from 10/3/20 and Purple Urkle from 10/15/22
• Queen G auto 2 from 3/29/24

We shook for less time than we did a year ago to make sure we didn't get plant material (if it even goes through a 73 mesh screen...dunno), and we tried shaking it into a plastic bag as @GratefulBud explained, but the cold split the bag in a few seconds, so we went back to using the mirror (seen here from my last go when we used 120 micron).

Here are the results:

I didn't weigh flower vs hash so I have no idea about yield, but I do know that it's difficult to use the color change method for knowing when to stop shaking if you're working with older flower since it's brown to start with as you can see in the pic. The only blonde hash was from the brand new QGa2.

It's drying in a closet with a mini-dehuey at the moment because @HashFart said dryer was better. That's a great smelling closet for sure!

On the Candida seed making front, it's flip day 10 and there are neither pistils nor balls yet, so I'm still spraying every 3 nights. As I recall, Candidas are slower to flower than other plants (@Heavenly Hybrid might be able to confirm that since she's grown them more recently than I have). Either way...we'll see soon I hope.

Thanks for stopping by!

Quotes:

Thanks Grateful! I have much more fun growing outside (I'd have more next to a pool) but I found growing only inside kind of a drag.

Thank you Boo! All are well. My daughter and her BF are off camping for the week and my son went back up to school yesterday, and we're back to being empty nesters until mid-May. :)
How much starting material (weight) did you use to create the hash?

I know what you mean about growing inside being a drag...I am tired of it lol! Can't wait to start the outdoor grow but gotta get the little ones ready! (except for the dozens of seeds I'll just be tossing into the yard to fend for themselves!)

I know what you mean about growing inside being a drag...I am tired of it lol! Can't wait to start the outdoor grow but gotta get the little ones ready! (except for the dozens of seeds I'll just be tossing into the yard to fend for themselves!)
You just toss a bunch out there, huh, Schnookie? Sounds like fun!

Have you done that before? How did it turn out? :Rasta:

look at all that hash. nice haul, Shed. what's next after it dries? gonna press it?
Thanks Regrowth! I might press it or make it into one of @HashFart's cool hash balls! Probably something very therapeutic about rolling that and smoothing it in your hands.
hey, one thing I've noticed is that with dry sifting people keep the tails (anything below 20 microns),
whereas with bubble hash the tails are thrown out with the wash water.
I've wondered if maybe sifting through the 73 into a 20 could improve quality slightly -
or perhaps if it's the opposite and that we lose out a bit when making bubble hash.
I haven't done dry ice hash and without evaporating a bucket full of water I can't really tell you lol.
But I'd guess you could sift it through the 20 and find out.
I'm sure that sifting this out with a smaller mesh bag would improve the quality but that's more trouble than it's worth to my crowd. The fact that I got less using the 73m bag and still had plant matter left in the bucket when we stopped (compared to the 120m bag) means that it's definitely better quality than last year, so that's improvement!

Come to think of it maybe I'll rerun the 120 stuff from last year with the 73 bag and see what happens...
Thanks Grateful!
I would need to find a thicker clear plastic bag that will fit around a 5g bucket, so I'll keep my eye out for that, since it's still a great idea.
WooHoo! I started using a large totes with a plastic sheet under them for easy cleaning! Shake in the first one for a few minutes for the purest hash for smoking, then finish in the second one for making edibles, capsules...
Hey MedScientist and :welcome: to my perpetual grow journal! I didn't trust myself to know when the first run should end and the second run begin so I'm sure there were trichomes in what went into the green bin, but since I'm mostly clearing out 2+ year-old jars I can't worry about it. The short shake of the 105g of Queen G auto produced as much nice blonde hash as two jars of the older stuff.

I like the plastic-lined-large-totes idea but my available large totes are filled with cans of old paint. When my son gets home from college in May he'll be bringing some with him so that might work.
That looks a really impressive dry ice hash result, fantastic!
Thanks Stunger! I'm hoping it gets folks really high. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I imagine your son will be popular on his return to college....
He's popular anyway and he didn't bring the hash with him. He does always have a jar of flower available when folks are in need though.
If he’s anything like his father I’m sure he’s already popular. But now he’ll just have more friends visiting him trying to get in on a little hash action. lol CL🍀
:love:
Hash action, Ho Hoo!
LOL!
I can say it had a very sweet and fruity scent to it. That sounds GOOD , Nice looking haul ! Damn 2019 pot still hanging around
Yeah I can smell things but have a hard time identifying what they are. "Sweet and fruity" yes, "mango infused with oleander" no. ;)
Nice to be empty nesters for a month!
We seem to be testing the waters, with about a 6 weeks in the fall, a couple after winter break, and now 6 weeks before graduation. We've survived that which is good, but the missus still has her doubts about surviving my retirement. :nervous-guy:
I was gonna ask, how much weed did you use for each of those batches….but you didn’t weigh it?
Right, it didn't occur to me to weigh it since I wasn't thinking about yield, especially since I wasn't going to do some sort of tutorial on it. I still recommend folks watch Nebula Haze's video on dry ice hash here for that:

I only know on the Queen G auto since I had just weighed it, and that was 105g of flower. I can weigh the QGa hash at whatever RH it currently is if you like.
That's gonna be one fun yard! Will it end up in one of your journals?

You just toss a bunch out there, huh, Schnookie? Sounds like fun!

Have you done that before? How did it turn out? :Rasta:
Nope. New house. New yard. New grow. Haven't grown outside since 1987 and that was 4 plants grown in the middle of a cornfield in Massachusetts. I recall chopping down whatever I had and grinding it up in the food processor and drying it in the oven into bricks so I could bring it to college LOL! I don't even think it was female plants in fact...didn't care when I was 17...

Thanks Regrowth! I might press it or make it into one of @HashFart's cool hash balls! Probably something very therapeutic about rolling that and smoothing it in your hands.

I'm sure that sifting this out with a smaller mesh bag would improve the quality but that's more trouble than it's worth to my crowd. The fact that I got less using the 73m bag and still had plant matter left in the bucket when we stopped (compared to the 120m bag) means that it's definitely better quality than last year, so that's improvement!

Come to think of it maybe I'll rerun the 120 stuff from last year with the 73 bag and see what happens...

Thanks Grateful!

I would need to find a thicker clear plastic bag that will fit around a 5g bucket, so I'll keep my eye out for that, since it's still a great idea.

Hey MedScientist and :welcome: to my perpetual grow journal! I didn't trust myself to know when the first run should end and the second run begin so I'm sure there were trichomes in what went into the green bin, but since I'm mostly clearing out 2+ year-old jars I can't worry about it. The short shake of the 105g of Queen G auto produced as much nice blonde hash as two jars of the older stuff.

I like the plastic-lined-large-totes idea but my available large totes are filled with cans of old paint. When my son gets home from college in May he'll be bringing some with him so that might work.

Thanks Stunger! I'm hoping it gets folks really high. :cheesygrinsmiley:

He's popular anyway and he didn't bring the hash with him. He does always have a jar of flower available when folks are in need though.

:love:

LOL!

Yeah I can smell things but have a hard time identifying what they are. "Sweet and fruity" yes, "mango infused with oleander" no. ;)

We seem to be testing the waters, with about a 6 weeks in the fall, a couple after winter break, and now 6 weeks before graduation. We've survived that which is good, but the missus still has her doubts about surviving my retirement. :nervous-guy:

Right, it didn't occur to me to weigh it since I wasn't thinking about yield, especially since I wasn't going to do some sort of tutorial on it. I still recommend folks watch Nebula Haze's video on dry ice hash here for that:

I only know on the Queen G auto since I had just weighed it, and that was 105g of flower. I can weigh the QGa hash at whatever RH it currently is if you like.

That's gonna be one fun yard! Will it end up in one of your journals?
Yup, I've got the Purple Ghost Candy comparo with 3 plants growing (might keep one inside) plus 3 Bruce Banner CBD X Cement Shoes from seeds that I just created from my last grow, PLUS a handful of seeds I found from my college grow years (!!!!?) that I just put into a cup of water to see what grows (could be an OG Skunk#1 in there or a BigBud [TM])...PLUS the few dozen I'm gonna throw unprepared once the ground temp is over 60 degrees. I'll probably prepare the soil a little with the cultivator. Maybe.

Yup, I've got the Purple Ghost Candy comparo with 3 plants growing (might keep one inside) plus 3 Bruce Banner CBD X Cement Shoes from seeds that I just created from my last grow, PLUS a handful of seeds I found from my college grow years (!!!!?) that I just put into a cup of water to see what grows (could be an OG Skunk#1 in there or a BigBud [TM])...PLUS the few dozen I'm gonna throw unprepared once the ground temp is over 60 degrees. I'll probably prepare the soil a little with the cultivator. Maybe.
I'll be dropping a PGC (and a CapJunky) in a few weeks to grow outside in 7g pots this summer so I'll head over to watch yours!

I'll be dropping a PGC (and a CapJunky) in a few weeks to grow outside in 7g pots this summer so I'll head over to watch yours!
Will you also be schleping this summer? Or do you have a new routine? Schleping 24 #Shedster 24 Schleping. com maybe?🤔 CL🍀. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::ciao:

I will indeed be back to schlepping this summer but someone already registered schlepping.com. Looks like it's for sale though if you want to buy it and have it redirect to my grow journal. :thumb:

What's the 24 represent though?
2024 , the year. CL🍀

Felonious retired 3 years before me but we didn't have any tryout periods and we survived. :battingeyelashes:

Oh true, thanks! And I'm looking forward to all the new traffic you send here from schlepping.com.

True, but it had been just the two of you before that so the change was probably less severe, not to mention that when you retired you got busier than all get out!
Will you be giving a in depth tutorial on schleping? With links 🔗? You could maybe start with schleping 101 and then move on to the more advanced levels. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom