InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Glad the humidity is up for ya, how’s temps after turning the driver up?
I’m, dealing with some leaks today too and my flooded patio is threatening to come in through the sliding door :rolleyes:

Thanks Amy, I'll go have a second look. :Namaste: I suppose I was expecting something along the lines of GWE, but I ended up at Canna University! :adore:

We've got quite a bit of water here too. A good push broom, will help with all that water, although I'm guessing you don't really have a space just waiting for gallons of water...

@InTheShed I see you mention using Mega Crop nutes in your latest update. Is this your first time using them? I just ordered some today (free 300 gram bag, you pay shipping). I was thinking of doing a Mega Crop vs Dyna Gro comparison for my next grow. BTW, 4 grams per gallon is 108 ppm Nitrogen (27 ppm per gram). I've found somewhere around 120-130 as the luxury spot for full Grow/Bloom mode with the couple nute lines I've used. Around 150 you may start to see tip burn. The feed calculator on Mega Crops site is pretty much in line with those numbers, so I'd say it's fairly reliable.

@InTheShed I see you mention using Mega Crop nutes in your latest update. Is this your first time using them? I just ordered some today (free 300 gram bag, you pay shipping). I was thinking of doing a Mega Crop vs Dyna Gro comparison for my next grow. BTW, 4 grams per gallon is 108 ppm Nitrogen (27 ppm per gram). I've found somewhere around 120-130 as the luxury spot for full Grow/Bloom mode with the couple nute lines I've used. Around 150 you may start to see tip burn. The feed calculator on Mega Crops site is pretty much in line with those numbers, so I'd say it's fairly reliable.
Oh thanks farside! I just got the sample bag too so this is my first time with anything other than FoxFarms and I'm going to run the current stuff in veg on it from now until harvest, maybe with a bit of Si and Terpinator in flower.

I haven't gotten into the PPM of N side of nutes as it's a bit beyond what I have sorted out in my head when it comes to nutes. I'm more a ratio/total-TDS grower when I bother to calculate at all. Does only the N matter in this scenario? What about in flower when we're more interested in the K?

FelipeBlu has an entire spreadsheet based on PPM of nutrients that you may be interested in, since you're a spreadsheet person (I haven't forgotten about yours...some things take me a long time!). He's got worksheets of about 10 different nute lines.

You might want to PM him and have him send it to you to take a look at. I tried it out but since the numbers didn't match my meter it made it difficult for me to reconcile with what I was doing when I watered.

Oh thanks farside! I just got the sample bag too so this is my first time with anything other than FoxFarms and I'm going to run the current stuff in veg on it from now until harvest, maybe with a bit of Si and Terpinator in flower.

I haven't gotten into the PPM of N side of nutes as it's a bit beyond what I have sorted out in my head when it comes to nutes. I'm more a ratio/total-TDS grower when I bother to calculate at all. Does only the N matter in this scenario? What about in flower when we're more interested in the K?

FelipeBlu has an entire spreadsheet based on PPM of nutrients that you may be interested in, since you're a spreadsheet person (I haven't forgotten about yours...some things take me a long time!). He's got worksheets of about 10 different nute lines.

You might want to PM him and have him send it to you to take a look at. I tried it out but since the numbers didn't match my meter it made it difficult for me to reconcile with what I was doing when I watered.

Commercial greenhouses (for plants other than cannabis) focus more on ppm of N and use it for their dilution rates of their injection feeders. To me, ppm alone isn't the best metric. Say I feed my plant 300 ppm, but 100% of it is Nitrogen. I'm likely to turn it into a crispy critter. On the other hand, I can feed it 1000 ppm of fertilizer, as long as I keep the N portion of that 1000 under 150. I find it a convenient way to compare nute lines and their different NPK ratios. Keep the N PPMs the same between the 2 and see the effects of the additional P and K in the blends. The Mega Crop is fairly heavy on the K. Their explanation on a single blend that works for grow and bloom is logical and is as follows:

Cannabis and Hemp Veg and Flowering nutrient requirements are different, yet fairly similar. Usually, a dedicated “veg” formula will have slightly more Nitrogen, and less Potassium, while similarly a “bloom” formula will have less Nitrogen, and more Potassium.

MEGA CROP uses a universal formula that can be used for the entire plant life, we accomplish this in a few ways.

1. Plants take up what they need, so during different phases of growth, the plant will search for what it needs and uptake it from the soil or nutrient solution. As long as you are providing in sufficient quantities, the plant will have optimum growth uninterrupted. This is the same concept that organic outdoor growers will use to get fantastic results, at the beginning of the season they do their “soil mix” which has everything that the plant will need for its whole life-cycle, from start to finish. Through the plants life, it takes what it needs from the soil mix, and as long as everything is in sufficient quantities, it will have optimum growth.
  2. We use extremely high quality and low Ammonium type nitrogen ingredient sources, this reduces the possibility of “overfeeding toxicity” that you would get from normal hydroponic fertilizers using too much nitrogen, even at higher doses. So, having extra nitrogen beyond what the plant needs will not harm it.
  3. The Feeding Schedule calls for increased dosage for different parts of the plants life. By following the feeding schedule, the plants will always have what they need ready. During each phase, there will be slight excess of nutrients that the plant doesn’t need as much of, however this will stay in the soil and be available in later phases.

Thanks for posting that farside! I think I did read that on the site when I was researching and it sounded like they knew what they were talking about. And other members here are using is successfully.

So your feeding theory is to increase N through veg but make sure to keep it under 150 PPM (not based on a meter but based on...how do you find the PPM of nitrogen without a meter?), and then for flower you would bump up other nutrients and leave N alone (do you also note those PPM amounts or just ratios) using different bottles?

Do these questions within questions make any sense to you?

Thanks for posting that farside! I think I did read that on the site when I was researching and it sounded like they knew what they were talking about. And other members here are using is successfully.

So your feeding theory is to increase N through veg but make sure to keep it under 150 PPM (not based on a meter but based on...how do you find the PPM of nitrogen without a meter?), and then for flower you would bump up other nutrients and leave N alone (do you also note those PPM amounts or just ratios) using different bottles?

Do these questions within questions make any sense to you?

My calculator spreadsheet has a tab for calculating ppm of N from a mix. For those without Excel, there are numerous online calculators. Basically you tell it the N number on the bottle, then the amount used per gallon and it will tell you the PPMs that come from N.

You kinda hit the nail on the head of my feeding strategy. I use the same base grow formula (Foliage Pro) throughout and then change the blended N-P-K ratio in bloom. I do that by adding more K via additional Terpinator (Potassium Sulfate) and Pro Tekt (Potassium Silicate) than I was using during the grow stage.

I start at 30 ppm Nitrogen from day 1, and increase it 30 ppm per week until I hit the 120 number.

I'm taking this all in...
You use the Dynagrow Foliage Pro as your base and use both the Protekt and Terp for added K, based on the fact that our plants don't need anywhere near as much P as nute lines include.

With MegaCrop I was thinking something similar, though it seems have pretty high silica numbers to begin with (which is why I'm not supplementing that now as I would have with FoxFarms), and it's K heavy as well which might make my 12.5 gallons of Terpinator unnecessary.

I have to go back to look at your spreadsheet again, hopefully this weekend when it's raining!

You really should PM FelipeBlu on this topic. He thinks just like you do in terms of greenhouse nute mixing and PPMs of N.

Label numbers are a bit misleading. Only about 1/2 of what shows for P is available to plants, and roughly 80% of the K number. So if you want to actually provide a ratio of 2-1-3 to the plant you'd have to use a mix that says 2-2-4 on the label. That's part of the calculations at the bottom of the Advanced Nutrients tab on my spreadsheet you had inquired about before.

So you would need to calc each nute line individually based on the source of the P and the K?

When you're feeding based on this method you never need a TDS meter because you're calculating it based on the spreadsheet or online calculator? I already don't pH my nutes based on this:

so I could be mixing meter-free!

Well I didn't miss that conversation! Awesome and I've got something else I can look into. I've got the TDS meter but It checks a few different things too. Guess I'll plug in the numbers and see what I get. Thanks FS05!

I don't usually run 24/0 just because I feel like when the plants are in the sun all day (weather permitting) I don't need that much light to get the required DLI (Daily Light Integral). I'm mostly at 20/4 in veg unless I need the light for heat. Then I'll run 24/0.

I did run 11/13 last year to get my Sour G with fusarium to finish faster, before it died from rot. No idea if it speeded it up but it seems to from reading others' experiences.

I have been running 10/14 this entire new grow

My Amnesia Haze is supposed to be a 12 week flower and mine was right at 10 weeks

So, so far so good

So you would need to calc each nute line individually based on the source of the P and the K?

When you're feeding based on this method you never need a TDS meter because you're calculating it based on the spreadsheet or online calculator? I already don't pH my nutes based on this:

so I could be mixing meter-free!

Although I own a TDS meter, it doesn't see much action. Most of my decisions and feed blends are based on my targeted N-P-K for whatever stage they are in and PPM of Nitrogen.

In my calculators I do have a page of what each 5ml of products I use adds to a gallon of water in terms PPM's. That way I only ever have to measure 1 time. The rest of the time I can compute what the PPM's of any mix will result in if I ever want to know.

I have been running 10/14 this entire new grow

My Amnesia Haze is supposed to be a 12 week flower and mine was right at 10 weeks

So, so far so good

I'm trying to understand this concept and I'm not sure I'm catching on, so please bear with me. You grow Photo's from seed at the given light schedule and when the plant is mature enough it goes into flower? Then, depending on strain and lighting/ dark times, you can achieve full flower faster?

So essentially, if I'm understanding, (which I don't think I am) you're growing a photo like it's an Auto?

I can't believe I just typed any of that.

Back
Top Bottom