InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I don't think this one falls in my area of expertise (carpentry, pools, and delicacies), but I took a shot anyway. Thanks 13!
Your reply was spot on :rofl:
I'm going to guess carpenter was supposed to be container, and pool is a reservoir or water being used. The delicacies, well we know those are our succulent plants.

Highya ITS,

We have a beam holding our porch roof and there's a nest in between each rafter. We had 2 families of swallows this year. Last year, one family raised two broods!! Surprised me!
Your lineup looks very nice! I hope you get some pollen for the candidas! Tin Can Kush looks very happy, as does the Red Dragon. What's up with the Chiquita Banana and the Jack Herer? Nitrogen deficiency? I went through that this spring. Oh, well. Mine are all in the ground now and starting to grow. I'm doing the Jadam organic gardening thing this summer. Nutty Professor had some great ladies this spring. Plan sounds reasonable. Anyways, have a great week, and Happy Smokin'
Good luck with Jadam's twist. His book is on my list.

Tuesday update just to show you how meh I'm doing on the WSE plants with the Summer Grow! :rolleyes:

The Sour G seems to be doing pretty well on the GeoFlora (which I started top feeding after the first set of true leaves), but the Chiquita Banana and the Jack Herer are suffering from underfeeding, made more complicated by the water retention of the soil compared to ProMix HP.

I watered the Sour G with tap water, and the other two got 4g/gallon equivalent, which should green them up but doesn't seem to be yet. They weren't light but soil is heavier than peat, so that's another thing I need to get used to.

On the plus side, there are roots coming out of the bottoms of all three!

I saw some flyers on the surface of the Tin Can Kush pot so I sprayed them with neem. Next time I water that or the Red Dragon I'll be mixing in SNS 209 to see if that does the trick.

In other news, today (calendar day 145) is flip day 1 for the TCK, RD, and three of the four Candidas (not the mama). Turns out they're too crowded in the shed, so starting tonight the Candidas take over the tent, and the Summer grow will be relegated to the floor of the office under a distant 23w CFL. All I can do is hope they're getting their DLI from being the sun all day, since it's too chilly at night to set them up in the bike shed.

Thanks for checking in! :ciao:

Maybe it's all getting sold up in Canada these days...
Probably smoking it.

Maybe it's about regulations on peat farming? All I can say is I hope I get the hang of soil again!
Interestingly enough, here's some info why:

Peat moss, the main ingredient in soilless growing medium is in short supply. Greenhouses that don’t already have their growing medium ordered, shipped, and on site are becoming fearful that they won’t be able to plant their flowers, hanging baskets or boxplants for spring sales.

According to the Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Association, Canada’s peatland is estimated at 113.6 million hectares. Of this, less than 0.03 per cent is used for horticultural peat production. The vast majority of Canadian peat moss is harvested and bagged in the eastern provinces of Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

The good news is that there is no shortage of peat moss. The bad news is that it is still in the ground. Fall 2020 was a wet season in Eastern Canada, and in order to harvest peat moss, it needs to be dry.

Other complications include the cost and trouble of shipping peat moss across the county, as well as the less-than-environmentally-friendly harvesting costs.

Most Canadian peat moss production goes south of the border, and producers need to fill orders destined for the big markets of New York, Chicago, California and all places in between. Canada itself represents only a small piece of the pie.

The other difficulty is that, to date, there are no obvious alternatives for peat moss. Soilless growing medium is the perfect soil for greenhouse production. Horticulturists agree that its ability to retain moisture, yet not become waterlogged is essential for growth. Peat moss is sterile, and can easily accommodate the addition of perlite, fertilizer and micronutrients.

Researchers have been busy looking for alternatives to peat moss but to date have come up empty handed. Recycled newspaper, corn husks, grape seeds, rice hulls, compost and coconut fiber have all been considered with varying and limited degrees of success.

Now you know!

I visited my local grow store yesterday and found a dozen bales of Pro mix hp, so it's somewhere. The dude there told me they had a banner year (2020). Better than when we went legal. BLEW THOSE NUMBERS AWAY! he said. Collectively we apparently grew our asses off last year! Sure was nice to go into the grow store in person again!
I'll send you a bale if you want but shipping would be through the roof.

Sure was nice to go into the grow store in person again!
I’d bet it was. I still can’t go inside the one I go to. I call in my order then they bring it out to my car when I get there. Pretty sure it saves me money. I’m an impulse buyer and always come home with stuff I don’t really need then ask myself “why did you get that”? Now I’m just a fool without his money.:rolleyes:

I’d bet it was. I still can’t go inside the one I go to. I call in my order then they bring it out to my car when I get there. Pretty sure it saves me money. I’m an impulse buyer and always come home with stuff I don’t really need then ask myself “why did you get that”? Now I’m just a fool without his money.:rolleyes:
I was calling for a car drop too. That saved me from going all computer ordering and helped make their year the best ever I guess. Good thing I didn't need much, there were a lot of shiny things.

I do this all the time, but my quickest time is 13 minutes and 12 seconds. Nicely done!
Said the man who keeps meticulous notes!

I would buy plastic cannabis plants but they'd all end up looking like @MrSauga grew them!

I hope the birds fledge when my dog isn't around. :eek:

I'm thinking that the instructions with the GF should include mixing it in and wetting the soil two weeks before planting. It seems like it takes a while for the feeding to catch up to the plant, but it eventually seems to. My Tin Can Kush has been living on just GeoFlora Veg and tap water since a week after I put it in the 7 gallon pot.

Also, I won't be switching to GF Bloom for flower as I don't like the lower N/higher P they have in their Bloom mix. I'm sticking to Veg with some added K (probably Terpinator if any of my bottles are still good).

The yellowing on the other two is just me being behind on feeding, as I seem to be on all my plants at this stage. I need to feed more aggressively when they're young than I do, and someday I will try to accomplish that :cheesygrinsmiley:
You ditching the Bloom too, heh? If this trend continues GF will develop a lopsided inventory.

Has anyone considered using half Veg and half Bloom as the second phase. Wouldn't this bring the NPK to 4-4-4.5?

Highya ITS,

We have a beam holding our porch roof and there's a nest in between each rafter. We had 2 families of swallows this year. Last year, one family raised two broods!! Surprised me!
Your lineup looks very nice! I hope you get some pollen for the candidas! Tin Can Kush looks very happy, as does the Red Dragon. What's up with the Chiquita Banana and the Jack Herer? Nitrogen deficiency? I went through that this spring. Oh, well. Mine are all in the ground now and starting to grow. I'm doing the Jadam organic gardening thing this summer. Nutty Professor had some great ladies this spring. Plan sounds reasonable. Anyways, have a great week, and Happy Smokin'
Bode, is Nutty Professor gone? I tried to PM him the other day but couldn't locate his username in the roster.

Busy morning with Safer spray (all but the STS plant), SNS 209 watering of the Red Dragon, and re-hanging the 6" exhaust fan in the shed that broke free last night. I know that duct tape isn't as durable as straps, but it's a damn sight easier to work with in tight spaces!

Pics of the Spring two tomorrow.

On to y'all...
I visited my local grow store yesterday and found a dozen bales of Pro mix hp, so it's somewhere. The dude there told me they had a banner year (2020). Better than when we went legal. BLEW THOSE NUMBERS AWAY! he said. Collectively we apparently grew our asses off last year! Sure was nice to go into the grow store in person again!
I'll send you a bale if you want but shipping would be through the roof.
That's a sweet offer Otter, but I think shipping would indeed make it prohibitive. If I can't get the soil to work I may have to go with Sunshine Mix #4. I'd email ProMix first of course to see if they have any plans for someone more local than 40 miles!

I would say that 50/50 soil/perlite might be too much perlite (@BigD13 did seem surprised), but the Sour G with GF Veg seems to be doing okay in that mix, so there's something else I'm doing wrong.
I’d bet it was. I still can’t go inside the one I go to. I call in my order then they bring it out to my car when I get there. Pretty sure it saves me money. I’m an impulse buyer and always come home with stuff I don’t really need then ask myself “why did you get that”? Now I’m just a fool without his money.
When you grocery shop do you end up with a few bags of candy and a copy of People Magazine?
You ditching the Bloom too, heh? If this trend continues GF will develop a lopsided inventory.
Not to toot my own horn, but I gave Carcass the idea. ;) He's just ahead of me in flower.
Has anyone considered using half Veg and half Bloom as the second phase. Wouldn't this bring the NPK to 4-4-4.5?
Still too much P for me, and I'm already up once a night.
Bode, is Nutty Professor gone? I tried to PM him the other day but couldn't locate his username in the roster.
Last seen Friday night. But if you can't PM him there are other issues. :hmmmm:

I would say that 50/50 soil/perlite might be too much perlite (@BigD13 did seem surprised), but the Sour G with GF Veg seems to be doing okay in that mix, so there's something else I'm doing wrong.

Well, I’ve been thinking about your “potting mix” since you posted your update photos yesterday. From the photo you posted, I kinda think the Sour G looks about the same as the other 2. Maybe they look different in person. To me, all 3 have what appears to be similar yellowing on the lower leaves. How much perlite do you think is in the Kellogg potting mix as it comes from the factory? From the pic you posted let’s say 10-20% by volume. Now add that to the 50% you added, that makes your “potting mix” 60-70% perlite. So my first question would be is that a good potting mix for growing in?

My second question would be that if you have a potting mix that has 60-70% perlite, should you be saying that you’re growing in soil? Shouldn’t a true soil have to be at least 51% soil of some sort? Since you have that much perlite, maybe you can‘t treat it like you’re growing in soil. Maybe you have to treat it like you’re growing in.......well.....something else. I just don’t know what that something else is.

Any way, those are just some thoughts I had. Please let me know what you think.

Back
Top Bottom