InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Sorry to see you've been hit by the nasties. Me too.
I found out a few days ago that I've had thrips for a few weeks - I didn't recognize the signs until too late. I considered Spinosad but, seeing that the plants are about a couple of weeks from harvest, decided against it.
Fortunately, between @West Hippie and @Phytoplankton I got pointed to this posting and it's Safer's to the rescue. I covered them pretty heavily and am keeping my fingers crossed it's what's needed to get them to the finish line.

Hi Shed, cgts on the Red Dragon harvest. Nice haul. I've wondered about the cardboard box hanger and I'm interested to see you using it. I will give that a go next harvest. Also, it's the first time I have seen reference to cloning in straight perlite. I am going to try using pipe cleaners for training next time too #learningwithshed
Thanks Carmen! The smaller stuff is drying pretty fluffy but I can't get to the back of the box to give the main colas a squeeze, so not sure about those. I actually made a cardboard drying box for my very first harvest four years ago, so I'm very experienced with them. :) A tent is a lot easier but mine is occupado.

I've never had luck with other cloning methods (it took me over six months to successfully clone, when I found my current method) so I am not the best test case. ;)
From solo cups to 7 gallons and everything in between!
Boy that Candida is going to be happy moving from a matchbox to a.... ahhhh...lemme see here....hold on..... a slightly bigger matchbox!
Love the pineapple and lemon tree propogation
Some guerilla Hinterhof action that covered the spectrum of growing!
Thank you for not freaking out Baron! That Candida in the bigger matchbox will be smaller than my previous two plants grown in it, so I hope that eases your mind just a bit.
:Namaste:
Must be real nice to have a Red Dragon in a box! You tamed that one good and proper, what a fine looking hanger! I wonder how she tastes?
Green at this point. That's the one bud taste my wife can identify!
I'm glad you're finally getting to the end of the nasty less than great soil days! Those root pics are pitiful, poor sad things. On to better life even if it's through compost.
Absolutely. None of my plants look remotely happy in that crap, and almost every last inch of it has left the property. Only exception is the now unhappy Candida mom, because I used the crap after root pruning. That's Sunday's project!
How long does it take to grow a pineapple, and when it's done, the plant grow more?
About two years, and that's it for that plant. However, another plant may sprout from the same base, so you can get another pineapple from the same root stock.
I can almost hear a sinister giggle as you remove the "shite" soil and replace it with your beloved Promix!
Congrats on the fat harvest. You're a good boxer.
Thanks GDB! Every time I box up the buds I forget what I tried to learn last time I did it, like to finish the back strings before moving forward rather than working the top strings back to front. I must be punch drunk. :)

I replanted the Chiquita Banana today and muttered obscenities under my breath as I swept up the shite soil and tossed it in the black bin. I can't muster a believable sinister giggle, try as I may.
Sorry to see you've been hit by the nasties. Me too.
I found out a few days ago that I've had thrips for a few weeks - I didn't recognize the signs until too late. I considered Spinosad but, seeing that the plants are about a couple of weeks from harvest, decided against it.
Fortunately, between @West Hippie and @Phytoplankton I got pointed to this posting and it's Safer's to the rescue. I covered them pretty heavily and am keeping my fingers crossed it's what's needed to get them to the finish line.
Hi Delps and :welcome: to my perpetual grow journal! I'm glad @West Hippie got you sorted out with the bugs.

Two things to add about using Safers soap is that it's good to rinse it off 24 hours after you spray it to keep it from accumulating on the leaves, and to wash your harvest. That's good advice for any plants that have been outside, or even inside if they've been sprayed or you have pets or dust, or air. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Late Sunday night update y'all! If it's too much for MrSauga, I put a beetle pic at the end so he'll have something to focus on. ;)

First off, I replanted the Sour G clones (cut June 21st) out of the shite soil and into ProMix HP. I didn't want to wait for tons of roots because the tops were looking awful on the lower cuttings. It turned out that only one of the two lowers had roots, and even the top had no roots. I replanted them all, but I have no idea how that top is still green with no roots and no dome six weeks later:

As promised, I transplanted the Chiquita Banana into a 7 gallon pot with ProMix, dumping the shite soil as I had done with the Sour G a few days ago.

This time I knocked off even more of the crap:

And here it is in its new home.

4.5g/gallon MC and a week's worth of shade and all should be well.

I mentioned that after the CB replant and the Sour G clones, the only thing left with the shite soil was the recently root-pruned Candida mother. I went to replant it in ProMix, but the words of @Heavenly Hybrid rang in my head. So instead I did this:

Moving on, the Jack Herer replacement was needing water pretty often, so I took a peek at the roots:

Of course, there are two plants growing in there:

And then there was one:

SaugaView®:

It's about 6½" off the soil now, on its fourth node, and getting 2.25g/gallon MC.

Saturday it was two weeks of drying for the Candida seeds, and here are some of the ones I selected as the good ones:

Here are four dented ones I dropped in water today to see if they sprout:

We'll see!

And finally, this was on the inside of a screen in my house today, having flown in through an open door. I took off the screen and knocked it off, and here it sits:

I hope you all had a good weekend! :ciao:

You've been busy lately!

Is the new Candida cutting just a bare (rootless) branch that you placed in Promix? And what did you do with the little JH plant that you extracted from the cup. Placed in a cup of perlite maybe, or did Heavenly's voice fade away?

Awaiting Mr.S to discuss the bug. :reading420magazine:

Nice update as always Shed! Love all the pics you take to share with us. And going back a few pages, congrats on the Red Dragon and a full box!!

If it's too much for MrSauga, I put a beetle pic at the end so he'll have something to focus on.
That was a huge mistake. I went straight to the end of the post to see the beetle. I'm sure there was lots for me to comment on.
Awaiting Mr.S to discuss the bug. :reading420magazine:
Oof. I was caught off guard and didn't bring my notes. :(

Nice coupla updates Shed, I figured you for a Beatles fan. I'm trying something new this time around. I went from Soil to coco and found the feeding schedule to be more than I wanted, plus the PH'ing added an unwanted step for me. Since I've added cactus into my front yard and have several pups growing too, I've been using Cactus mix for everyting. Plumeria cuttings, Madagascar Palm, Century Plant, Mexican Petunia, and Cannabis too. It drains really well and stays pretty fluffy too, plus no PH'ing (thank you for that lesson btw). So far so good and no roots out the bottom of the container, yet.

Quotes first, then update! :thumb:

You've been busy lately!
Is the new Candida cutting just a bare (rootless) branch that you placed in Promix? And what did you do with the little JH plant that you extracted from the cup. Placed in a cup of perlite maybe, or did Heavenly's voice fade away?
Awaiting Mr.S to discuss the bug.
The new Candida mother was one of the original 19 clones that got split and replanted (twice). I was following double H's advice: "I’ll get rid of the older Candida. I like doing it this way rather than maintaining a mother, at least for now."

I'll keep a mother, but recycle it much more often with a new clone.
Nice update as always Shed! Love all the pics you take to share with us. And going back a few pages, congrats on the Red Dragon and a full box!!
Thanks Tommy! I'm slowing down the drying process by sealing up the box during the day, when the RH has been dropping into the "desert-like" 50% range. :laugh:
That was a huge mistake. I went straight to the end of the post to see the beetle. I'm sure there was lots for me to comment on.
I can't win for trying. That said, the nice thing about my posts is you can go back later and look at things you missed.
Oof. I was caught off guard and didn't bring my notes.
Now that I don't believe!
Nice update Shed.
And you took the pic with a SaugaView®. Nicely done.
Thanks BigD! Almost everything deserves a good SaugaView®, particularly the only thing the inventor can remember to comment on.
We're about to see what normal is around here again! Those poor plants must feel so much better now! Whew! My guess is the seeds work.
Thank you Otter! I'm looking for only good things going forward for those two. On the seed front, 3 of 4 sank when tapped with a pencil eraser this morning. Tonight they all go into a peat puck per Amy's 24 hour max-soak rule.
Nice coupla updates Shed, I figured you for a Beatles fan.
Thanks Age! I think the beetles are more of a Shed fan than the other way around. :rolleyes:
I've been using Cactus mix for everyting.
Interesting!
plus no PH'ing (thank you for that lesson btw). So far so good and no roots out the bottom of the container, yet.
I didn't realize cactus mix had lime mixed in. I think I have a small bag sitting around for succulents, so I'll read it when I get home. I'm glad it's working out for you...in Palm Springs, everything is a cactus!

Since multiple topics in a single update seem to overwhelm some members here, I will herewith post only trichome pictures of the Tin Can Kush this morning, on flip day 70:

Most of the amber is on the sugar leaves, but there is some on the bracts (calyxes), and there are fewer and fewer clear. If I had my preferences I would probably take it down Wednesday, but the only way to do that would be to wake up early, chop it, wash it, and leave it in a bucket of water until I get home from work. I did do something similar a couple of years ago when I had to go to one of my kids' soccer games in the middle of the process and it worked fine, though that was only about three hours. Still, soaking it in water won't hurt it so I might go that route. Stay tuned!

:slide:

I'm not sure I agree with you dumbing down your updates just so one "special" members can keep up.

But you do you. :Rasta:

(Luv the trich pics!)

I'm not sure I agree with you dumbing down your updates just so one "special" member can keep up.

But you do you. :Rasta:

(Luv the trich pics!)
Wait a minute. I might be in that "special" group. :laughtwo:

I would probably take it down Wednesday, but the only way to do that would be to wake up early, chop it, wash it, and leave it in a bucket of water until I get home from work.
So by that you mean leave it in water like fresh cut flowers?

I'm not sure I agree with you dumbing down your updates just so one "special" members can keep up.
But you do you.
(Luv the trich pics!)
Thanks GDB! I actually didn't have anything else to show this morning anyway. :)
Wait a minute. I might be in that "special" group.
I'm sure there's room for more than one, though if it becomes a chorus I'll lose a lot of folks here to confusion...
:love:
Thought it was me tbh.
Nah, you follow more than most here!
So by that you mean leave it in water like fresh cut flowers?
Sorry, what I meant was that I chop, wash, rinse, and then completely submerge the buds in a bucket of tap water in the shade.

Like this (the rock and plastic lid are to keep the top buds submerged) from back in 2019:
full

What a rock! And what an idea!

I had been sitting a big pot on top of mine but now I want a rock and a something under the rock! :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom