InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Happy 420! Great discussion on topping an auto. That got me to thinking (I know……dangerous), which do you think would produce better results: topping or LST of an auto? I’ve done LST (following Shed’s tutorial) with great results. I’m wondering for those people who have done both what their results were.

I do a combo of both. After I top I'll use pipe cleaners and binder clips, or recently some if the 90 degree plastic plant trainers on the branches.

Happy 420! Great discussion on topping an auto. That got me to thinking (I know……dangerous), which do you think would produce better results: topping or LST of an auto? I’ve done LST (following Shed’s tutorial) with great results. I’m wondering for those people who have done both what their results were.
Hi @BigD13 - I've done it both ways. After trying the max LST thing versus trying selective topping only with minimal LST, I am pretty much finding that selective topping gives me better yields. I find the issue when you try to max LST them is that many of the smaller shoots/branches don't have the time to grow out enough to really make appreciable buds. By selectively topping only and pulling branches to the side I've found you can get bigger plants, with more stem under each cola, and bigger buds up top as a result. If you like, check out the Watermelon WeddingCake Auto in my current journal. All I did to that beast was top once above node 4 and selectively top side branches. Other than that I simply pulled branches to the side maintaining their original positioning as much as possible. My two cents!! Happy 4/20!

Re CBD, I think of it like a multivitamin. You may not feel its effects but it's still doing good things to your body. For the first time in over a decade, I didn't experience any depression this past winter and I can only attribute it to the CBD capsules I take 3x a day. The capsules are homemade using @Weed Seeds Express Alpine Star CBD, which claims to have 20% CBD.

I haven't got as much experience with autoflowers like Boo is but like farside, I think topping autos prolongs when they start flowering. I try to top them above the third or fourth node and I remove the first node as well. I've been trying to learn quadlining. I did it really well on a Blueberry auto. It's too bad those damn thrips annihilated her. :(

Photo 5 - BBa2.jpeg

Re CBD, I think of it like a multivitamin. You may not feel its effects but it's still doing good things to your body. For the first time in over a decade, I didn't experience any depression this past winter and I can only attribute it to the CBD capsules I take 3x a day. The capsules are homemade using @Weed Seeds Express Alpine Star CBD, which claims to have 20% CBD.

I haven't got as much experience with autoflowers like Boo is but like farside, I think topping autos prolongs when they start flowering. I try to top them above the third or fourth node and I remove the first node as well. I've been trying to learn quadlining. I did it really well on a Blueberry auto. It's too bad those damn thrips annihilated her. :(

Photo 5 - BBa2.jpeg
Sorry about the thrips :( Now that I am going to grow autos I am discovering a whole lotta new journals.... hurrying over to yours as soon as dinner's done HG. I will remember your recommendation for the CBD when I get to growing them, thank you.

Photo 5 - BBa2.jpeg
Happy 420 my friend @HashGirl :party:
Sorry about the thrips.
She still look good.

Stay safe
Bill

How about a 420 update for y'all? Why not, it's not just any old Wednesday is it?

Came home from the Dodger game last night (we lost :( ) to find this in the Shoebox of Light®:

No green so not quite day one, which is fine because it's always fun to get 420 babies, like this morning!

Trainwreck from @Weed Seeds Express on the left, Purple Urkle on the right. In case anyone who uses the paper towel method (@Jon) is wondering if that's faster than planting when the seed splits, we can call this 72 hours from split to sprout. Probably less because sometimes I work and sometimes I sleep. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Since we have sprouts, it was time to get them planted and into the sun. Here is how I do it.

Put the dirt in the clear cup (this is still ProMix HP at this stage):

Take off the peat cover completely:

Put your sprout in the cup:

Pack the dirt around the peat:

And water down the edges of the cup by tilting it while you water:

This keeps the sprout stem dry, which might prevent damping off. Here I'm just using the leftover distilled water from when they were in the Shoebox, but next watering will be with plain tap.

That's it! I did the same with the Purple Urkle and then forgot to get a pic of both. Tomorrow then!

Last for the day, the Sour G STS on flip day 14:

Anyone seeing boy parts in among the pistils?

That's it for me today. I hope your day is full of 420 sales and 420 smiles. :cool:

Quotes:
So if the site requires an age verification/restriction then those aren't allowed? I honestly need to go reread the guidelines again.
I think it's a somewhat recent change as it relates to age-restricted youtube videos. Can't embed them directly but you can always say "search for this youtube video called 'how to grow amazing cannabis flowers in a cup of plain water using nothing but crystals and the phases of the moon'"!
I’m a converted CBD skeptic. When I first joined 420, I’d heard CBD was helpful for anxiety (which I have.) I was resistant to giving it a real try. I was too used to smoking = high, so I did not dig it. After a year or so, I finally gave it a real chance. Since then, there have been several times I was having panicky feelings or greened out, and smoking some Candida felt like it very quickly saved me.
A most excellent conversion! :love:
As far as pain is concerned, I know CBD helps with inflammation, so I’d guess it depends on what kind of pain you have. Plus, as Baked said, different people have different effects. Amy always said it takes about a month of daily ingestion to really build up to the full benefit of cbd. That’s my CBD blurb!
A most excellent blurb! The anti-inflammatory effects of CBD come when taken internally and takes (I remembered it as) at least 2 weeks to have an effect. The anti-anxiety effects come from smoking and happen within minutes!
This makes me excited!!!
That's the goal here :)
I top all my autos. Normally around day 21-28, around 5-6 nodes, after they show sex but before flowering starts. Can't say that I've ever seen it cause them to flower early. If anything I think it delays flower a bit.
:thanks: farside...so many ways to work with autos once you have the environment dialed in.
Quick pop in to say happy 420 Shed, and to all here....... thanks for all you do.
Thanks oops! Nice to see you around these parts. :ciao:
Thank you both for your views. I think I will have to feel my way through this process and ask for advice along the way. I feel I do want to try topping and training as I have done so successfully with photos. I'll call on ya when I think it might be ready for a topping if I may
I love all the great guidance you've gotten here!
Hi @Carmen Ray - last thing to consider from me: one way you might try thinking about autos with respect to ANY aspect about them (except maybe not to up pot more than once if at all) is to think of an auto as EXACTLY THE SAME THING as a photo. The ONLY difference (obviously besides the light thing) is that you are sending it to flower after 25-35 days of veg. So one way is to just treat it as a photo that due to whatever reason you know ahead of time you have to flip after a month no matter what. If you had a photo you knew you were going to flip at day 30 would you top it? Would you train it? It is no different with autos in any way whatsoever. just my take on it.
Great way to think about it. Well done Jon!
Drop a pic here BigD...I love LST!
That's kinda how I treat it. I'm just taking it as an ECS (endocannabinoid system) booster.
It's too bad those damn thrips annihilated her
That was a crying shame. :(

On the plus side, it looks like you're starting to get a handle on them!
Happy 420 everyone!!!
Happy 420
Happy 420
Happy 420 !!
Happy 420 all!

One last thing:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. What makes this journal a pleasure for me is not just that it's a place to put my updates and concepts about growing and making meds, but the willingness of folks who subscribe to jump in to help another member looking for a way to improve what they're doing.
:circle-of-love: for you all.

I sure do! first pic, at least 4 male flowers...Looks like the STS treatment did what it's supposed to do!
Happy 420, Shed,
and congrats on the 4/20 sprouts!

Brilliant!
My wife (who has been suffering with a lot of nighttime anxiety lately), has been taking 2-3 hits of CBD flower when she wakes up, and she then goes back to sleep a lot faster than I do!
That turns things upside down from reading about cbd. Folks are saying it keeps them up instead of putting them down for a snooze. Did I get the memo wrong?
Hi Carmen. I believe my first autos I left untouched - but only because I didn’t know what I was doing (first grow ever and I planted 8 seeds I think…oof!). My personal opinion is that there are only pros to topping. You are generally going to get about three or four nodes in by the time she starts to flower. I like to have as many nodes as possible (#ilovelarf…:cheesygrinsmiley:). Once in a while you are gonna get a dud auto and it will be a little tiny weirdo, it happens. But my personal thought, and there’s a little experience that goes with it now, is that the burst of growth that topping causes in an auto is usually significant. I’m thinking that is part of the reason that I tend to have larger ones more often than not.
On that note, my largest yields have been topped as well. An auto blueberry tent full and another single plant both went over 3 ounces dry. All my untopped ones went less. Not that I have tons of auto experience, I don't.
Yes! You're there! No balloons until you get yellow dust from them though. Which schedule did this one get?

Happy 420 day Shed and all who pass here :circle-of-love:

Happy birthday to the babies and fantastic about those balls... hoping for pollen!
I agree Shed, people are very generous and helpful here. It's really encouraging :green_heart: .

I sure do! first pic, at least 4 male flowers...Looks like the STS treatment did what it's supposed to do!
Happy 420, Shed, and congrats on the 4/20 sprouts!
Thanks Carcass! I actually only saw pistils when I took the pics so I was ready to be disappointed. But when I put them up on the screen I said hang on a minute...!
Wooo!!! I see them. Saw them before you even asked! Haaa haaa. Congrats on that and the new babies. Happy 420 day amigo!
Happy 420 to you too Baked! I was very relieved to see those male parts. :)
Only thing better than a 420 baby is TWO 420 babies!
The big Candida and the JH will be gone as well as the Sour G STS project, so two babies will be perfect for the summer grow...thanks double H!
That turns things upside down from reading about cbd. Folks are saying it keeps them up instead of putting them down for a snooze. Did I get the memo wrong?
From what I recall, it was taking the oil before bedtime that some folks had a problem with (I think Sue would recommend at least an hour before). The few folks who smoke my flower find that less than 30 minutes later it's time for bed. And after a 3am anxiety attack it's faster than that!
On that note, my largest yields have been topped as well. An auto blueberry tent full and another single plant both went over 3 ounces dry. All my untopped ones went less. Not that I have tons of auto experience, I don't.
The experience you have adds to the top/no-top decision, that's for sure. :)
Yes! You're there! No balloons until you get yellow dust from them though. Which schedule did this one get?
Seems fair. I think one more spraying on Friday night might be it. I've been spraying every 3 days with the 50/50 mix, starting 3 days before flipping.
Happy 420 day Shed and all who pass here
:thanks: Otter! To you as well.
Happy birthday to the babies and fantastic about those balls... hoping for pollen!
I agree Shed, people are very generous and helpful here. It's really encouraging .
Thanks Carmen, and I'm glad this journal has become a hangout for some of the brightest and most helpful minds on the site!

The few folks who smoke my flower find that less than 30 minutes later it's time for bed. And after a 3am anxiety attack it's faster than that!
That sounds very nice to achieve. Which is that? Is it the Candida?
A friend of mine suggested a 12/12 lighting schedule from the start, what are your thoughts? We need a feature that enables polls lol... also Shed, are you or a family member a potter? I think your ceramic dishes are very cute and they look like they come from a home kiln?

A friend of mine suggested a 12/12 lighting schedule from the start, what are your thoughts? We need a feature that enables polls lol... also Shed, are you or a family member a potter? I think your ceramic dishes are very cute and they look like they come from a home kiln?
You can make a new thread with a poll and I'm sure Shed wouldn't mind you putting a link to it in a reply here.

Edit: Sorry, damn autocorrect changed Shed to She'd, lol.

Highya ITS,

Congratulations on your 2 420 babies! It'll be fun to see them progress. Finally getting some sunny weather, but being on the back side of the moon, it's still chilly. But, Sunny!! Happy 420 day and Happy Smokin'

That's the Candida!
I am! I haven't done it in a few years now since cannabis has taken up my free time, but the little dishes my peat pucks sit in were test fires of one thing or another. I remember the brown one is glazed with the dirt from a path near my house down by the Playa del Rey marshes. Thanks for noticing!

In terms of 12/12, don't do that. Run your autos as close to 24/0 as you can given the electric bill!
You can make a new thread with a poll and I'm sure Shed wouldn't mind you putting a link to it in a reply here.
Edit: Sorry, damn autocorrect changed Shed to She'd, lol.
Of course, no problem at all!
What’s up guys! Been a while. Popping in to say hi on this 4/20!
Holy moly! Nice to see you Magoo. :ciao: Been missing your CT's around here and almost tagged you in the MarsHydro contest thread today but I figured you'd never see it (what with your eyes and all ;) ). Quite the coincidence really.

It's here if you want to give it a shot on the last day!

How have you been, and besides getting rid of your seed collection, what else has been happening?
Congratulations on your 2 420 babies! It'll be fun to see them progress. Finally getting some sunny weather, but being on the back side of the moon, it's still chilly. But, Sunny!! Happy 420 day and Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode! The warmth will get there eventually...I promise. :thumb:

How have you been, and besides getting rid of your seed collection, what else has been happening?
Been doing great. Still got the collection just looks a lot different now. Lol. As far as cannabis goes I’ve created a few nice strains. Bigfoot’s Dick is in dispensaries in Oklahoma and is being entered by a farmer in a cup soon for best indica. Pretty cool. That one along with Sex Panther and Vaulted Skunk were part of a big skunk hunt this year that Heart and Soil Seeds has been working on. All 3 have made his top tier in a couple categories. Beat out some really well known skunks to get there and will be in some future breeding projects if his. Been a crazy little ride. Lol
My state is still behind the times so I can’t even share all that with people I know.
So in real life, got married last year. That’s going awesome. All the kids are doing great.

How about you brother? How’s everything?

Back
Top Bottom