InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Okay folks, let's talk about powdery mildew (PM).

As most of you know, I've used many different sprays to try to knock down the PM that persists in my environment, and I have settled on neem until pistils, and then citric acid spray (0.25%). A little while back, canola oil was brought up as a possibility and one that I hadn't tried. It's cheaper than neem oil, and "[t]he Canadian Pest Management Regulatory Agency banned neem oil for use as an insecticide in 2012," (source) so I thought I would see if it works so our Canadian brethren will have an alternative.

@Regrowth and I had a conversation about canola oil dilution rates, and from his research he had found that there are a number of the canola oil products available with dilution rates ranging from 2-2.5%. @CBD BudMan has used another product with canola oil that is a 1% dilution, but he's of the mind that that concentration clogs the stomata on the leaves and could be creating a problem with transpiration (confirmed below*).

So I kept digging around regarding the canola spray and PM and found this research:
https://circadiancropsciences.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/PM-and-DM-Control-Cooking-Oil.pdf

It's a (South) Korean study from 2008 and seems well-researched and documented, and on the plus side, it's written in mostly non-technical language, dealing in percentages and ml rather than molecular weights and such.

Here are the cooking oils they tested:

1716488126789.png

They found that a 0.3% canola oil mix (with the addition of an emulsifier) worked the best among their tests without leaving the leaves oily (*as a 1% solution did). 0.3% (or 3ml/L) is much smaller percentage than in commercial products out there.

NB: The study said the effects lasted about 5 days.

There is also a discussion in the paper regarding emulsifiers to make the oil more stable in water, with an eye toward organic farming methods (you know how the Koreans are big on natural farming), but I'll be using Dr Bronner's unscented castile soap for mine.

I also learned from the paper that they emulsify in a blender (rather than just shaking a bottle), so I'll be using that, and testing out the smallest amount of Dr Bronner's that will make the mix stable.

To try and replicate their results, this weekend I'll be blending 500ml of distilled water with 1.5ml of canola oil (0.3% solution), and adding 1 drop of Dr Bronners at a time to the blender to see what it takes to emulsify it.

And in order to run this test, I have been intentionally growing PM on my Candida mother for the last week:

The things I do for y'all! Stay tuned for the ongoing results. :surf:

As most of you know, I've used many different sprays to try to knock down the PM that persists in my environment, and I have settled on neem until pistils, and then citric acid spray (0.25%). A little while back, canola oil was brought up as a possibility and one that I hadn't tried. It's cheaper than neem oil, and "[t]he Canadian Pest Management Regulatory Agency banned neem oil for use as an insecticide in 2012," (source) so I thought I would see if it works so our Canadian brethren will have an alternative.

@Regrowth and I had a conversation about canola oil dilution rates, and from his research he had found that there are a number of the canola oil products available with dilution rates ranging from 2-2.5%. @CBD BudMan has used another product with canola oil that is a 1% dilution, but he's of the mind that that concentration clogs the stomata on the leaves and could be creating a problem with transpiration (confirmed below*).

So I kept digging around regarding the canola spray and PM and found this research:
https://circadiancropsciences.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/PM-and-DM-Control-Cooking-Oil.pdf

It's a (South) Korean study from 2008 and seems well-researched and documented, and on the plus side, it's written in mostly non-technical language, dealing in percentages and ml rather than molecular weights and such.

Here are the cooking oils they tested (note that they did not test neem oil):

1716488126789.png

They found that a 0.3% canola oil mix (with the addition of an emulsifier) worked the best among their tests without leaving the leaves oily (*as a 1% solution did). 0.3% (or 3ml/L) is much smaller percentage than in commercial products out there.

There is also a discussion in the paper regarding emulsifiers to make the oil more stable in water, with an eye toward organic farming methods (you know how the Koreans are big on natural farming), but I'll be using Dr Bronner's unscented castile soap for mine.

I also learned from the paper that they emulsify in a blender (rather than just shaking a bottle), so I'll be using that, and testing out the smallest amount of Dr Bronner's that will make the mix stable.

To try and replicate their results, this weekend I'll be blending 500ml of distilled water with 1.5ml of canola oil (0.3% solution), and adding 1 drop of Dr Bronners at a time to the blender to see what it takes to emulsify it.

And in order to run this test, I have been intentionally growing PM on my Candida mother for the last week:

Surprised you went with the Castille soap instead of the usual yucca. Any reason in particular why you chose it? CL🍀

:ciao:

1716488126789.png

Dr. Bronners??? HAHAHA THIS IS AMAZING.

At one point in my life I used the peppermint/spearmint Dr. Bronners for everything! Literally, body soap, shampoo, toothpaste, laundry soap, dish soap, anti fungal etc…

I also lived out of a ‘72 westfallia and had hair to my ass so that might paint a better picture !!

On topic, and I should probably research this before I ask the question, would a spray like this help against the possibility of bud rot? I’m on grow 2 in a row with it.

Great info thanks for taking the time to do the digging around and posting!

Hello everyone and welcome back to me! Before I start catching up on what I missed I wanted to drop a Monday update of the seeded Candida and the CapJunky.

Let's start with the CJ on day 24:

It's got some light stress from the sudden move to LEDs, but it looks pretty good for three days alone. I watered them both when I got home and they're back outside this morning.

And here is the seeded Candida on flip day 58:

Finally, here is the last bud I pollinated, 27 days ago:

The plant is looking pretty ragged with PM chewing up most of the leaves, but I sprayed it with neem this morning to make sure it keeps enough green to carry on. I am still not seeing many calyxes split open to show off the seeds within, but I'm going to let it go until it completely stops drinking no matter what it looks like.

That's it from me today. I hope your weekend went well!

Quotes:

Thanks Mark!

Thank you Otter! It was so great to see the child who never cared about school (and never even imagined himself going to college) graduate in four years with a two-handed wave and a huge smile on his face. We couldn't be prouder of him. :love:

Thanks sb, and I'm glad to be back safe and sound!
Nice job Shed!

:)
:ciao: HG, and I hope you're recovering!
At one point in my life I used the peppermint/spearmint Dr. Bronners for everything! Literally, body soap, shampoo, toothpaste, laundry soap, dish soap, anti fungal etc…
I also lived out of a ‘72 westfallia and had hair to my ass so that might paint a better picture !!
That definitely goes along with how I used it. In the 80s I would sometimes need to go out of town overnight for photo shoots, and Dr B's peppermint was all I brought. Shampoo, soap, and toothpaste was all I used it for though!
On topic, and I should probably research this before I ask the question, would a spray like this help against the possibility of bud rot? I’m on grow 2 in a row with it.
I haven't read anything about that but it's worth a google search! This might be a good place to start if you're up for some serious scientific reading:

My starting point is to see if it works on PM in veg, and if it does I'll do testing later this summer when the plants are flowering to see how it affects pistils, and eventually trichomes. I haven't gotten much bud rot lately so I'm not sure I can test that well.
Nice job Shed!
Thanks Caddie! I watered the Canseeda this morning and weighed it after it drained to get a good idea of how quickly it's drinking. We'll see!

Highya ITS,

Nice presentation on the canola oil - PM experiment. I don't get PM on my cannabis ladies, but I do on cucumbers. I'd like to know how you fare with canola oil and emulsifier. Thank you! Happy Smokin'

Great info thanks for taking the time to do the digging around and posting!
:ciao: :cheer: CL🍀

1716488126789.png

You always do such excellent research! Nicely done so far. My sister and I both simply love Dr Bronner's soap too. Which sent did you go with? I've got the 18-in-1 Hemp Peppermint Pure-Castile Soap.

I'm staying tuned :nomo: so I can up my game. Thank you for your expertise!
I Love My Girls... :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom