Keffka's Recycling, KOS Blue Thai, Herbies Seeds Apple Betty, Runtz Punch

3 taken down. They’re pretty heavy but I expected that with how thick the branches were on the Blue Thais.

When the lights come on I’ll start looking at root balls and moving the runt to the middle of the room.

I’ll definitely be running the Blue Thais again.

IMG_6970.jpeg

IMG_6971.jpeg

IMG_6972.jpeg

IMG_6973.jpeg

IMG_6978.jpeg

IMG_6980.jpeg

3 taken down. They’re pretty heavy but I expected that with how thick the branches were on the Blue Thais.

When the lights come on I’ll start looking at root balls and moving the runt to the middle of the room.

I’ll definitely be running the Blue Thais again.

IMG_6970.jpeg

IMG_6971.jpeg

IMG_6972.jpeg

IMG_6973.jpeg

IMG_6978.jpeg

IMG_6980.jpeg
I don’t even have words for how sweet these are. So fat! Superior work. Question: how come you chopped before those red hairs curled in?

I don’t even have words for how sweet these are. So fat! Superior work. Question: how come you chopped before those red hairs curled in?

A couple things came into play. The majority of the red hairs were curled in, the ones that were left not curled were in the single digits on each plant. I think the most I counted on a cola was 4, and those were on top where they take the longest to curl in. If you look closely at the chopped pics you’ll only see a few hairs popping out. I did notice that the indica seemed to trap the hairs more than the sativa. I assume it’s the massive amount of trichomes basically freezing the hair in place.

Their water consumption slowed drastically as well. They were taking 3/4 of a gallon every 2-3 days, then it was 1/2 gallon every 3-4 days then they were still damp 4 days later.

Their swelling stopped. The buds felt absolutely rock hard, I couldn’t even squeeze them in, they just resisted.

So lots of little signals, however, if they were sativas, I would’ve kept running them like the Runt which is still in the room flowering. Since these were indicas with a lot of amber trichomes I didn’t want to push them over the edge my first run on the strain, I’ll talk more about this in a moment. Revs recommendations for flowering times are pretty spot on and I was already 4 days past his high end recommendation. 10 weeks is a good amount of time for an indica. So I took the indicas out to get a baseline. I have a feeling I could’ve pushed them out even further but it will take better planning.

Now that I know the Blue Thais I’m about to push them to their limits. This was just the familiarization run on them so I could feel out diet and a schedule. I’ll be rerunning them and seeing what happens if I push them out further. I have a sneaking suspicion amber trichomes don’t necessarily equal couch lock but I wasn’t willing to test it this grow with so many other changes. I have a feeling some indicas wouldn’t mind a 12 week flower.

Along with the amber trichomes I’m starting to think isn’t fully true, I also believe @Melville Hobbes was correct about hermaphrodites and genetics. I don’t think it’s very easy to herm a plant if it’s not predisposed to it. I stressed the hell out of the runt (which is a sativa) this grow and it shrugged it off. I messed with its diet, its water, its light, its temps, its limbs, everything I could think of. I hit the runt with light during lights off in flower and it shrugged it off. I have tried to make this plant herm and it’s just not having it.

Once they’re ready for jarring I’ll snap better pictures and get their weight. I’m probably going to do that in the next day or two, they shouldn’t take long to dry with such minimal foliage

Purchased some new oil heaters and readjusted the room. Got my next electric bill and I was able to lessen it considerably before the oil heaters so I may be able to swing starting another grow in January.

I figured to give myself enough time to be able to grow without needing a whole bunch of energy to keep the climate I need to be growing by mid May.

So I have a couple plans in store.

I will be growing outdoors full tilt this summer. Only my FIL gardens now and he’s been interested in cannabis lately to help him sleep. The alcohol is no longer having the desired effect. I could’ve told him that but everyone needs to find their own end to the alcohol road, and some never do. So there will be considerable space to spread out.

I’m gonna run 12 plants outdoors at his house. I will use a container for their veg and allow them to root into the ground for flower. I am going to sprout those plants at the end of April so they’re ready to go into the ground mid May or so. @SmokingWings when was it you determined you should put your plants out to avoid PM? End of May? I think you’re totally on to something with that because my MIL struggled with PM and bud rot every year and this year my FIL only saw a tiny bit of bud rot on one spot, zero PM, but he also put his plants out early June whereas MIL would go early May.

I’m gonna run 4 plants indoors again but this time all indicas and they’ll only be topped once, if that. The Blue Thai does have a tall pheno though but I know how it vegs so I’ll be able to see it.

I will also be setting up the cloning closet, and running my bacteria experiment. I will be incredibly busy this year starting next month, and everyone is invited to join in, I’ll be documenting all of it in my typical fashion.

Woke up this morning and the drying room stunk noticeably more. Normally I would wait until the smallest branch snapped clean but lately I’ve been feeling like it drys out too much and I lose a lot of the oomph in the smell waiting until then. I’m going to try trimming and jarring them now.

I have jar hygrometers and boveda 62s. I’m gonna try jarring and just monitoring and see how that works. Worst comes to worst I have to pull them out of the jars.

@Azimuth @Gee64 @StoneOtter @Melville Hobbes @Jon

How do you decide when your buds are ready to jar? Do you prefer to go low then rehydrate or jar then burp, or something different?
I jar, then burp.
For my current grow however, I have a wood moisture meter, and I intend to use that instead of the stem test.
I'm also looking at getting some Grove bags.

@Azimuth @Gee64 @StoneOtter @Melville Hobbes @Jon

How do you decide when your buds are ready to jar (or bag for Stone)? Do you prefer to go low then rehydrate or jar then burp, or something different?
Last couple of grows I've been keeping the room at 60% rh and letting them either hang or get snipped and in open 5 gallon pail liners through cure. This is the easiest so far.

Before I'd get them dry to my room and in jars with a hygrometer to see like you were saying. Or a bucket.
Then burp.

I’m gonna run 12 plants outdoors at his house. I will use a container for their veg and allow them to root into the ground for flower. I am going to sprout those plants at the end of April so they’re ready to go into the ground mid May or so. @SmokingWings when was it you determined you should put your plants out to avoid PM? End of May? I think you’re totally on to something with that because my MIL struggled with PM and bud rot every year and this year my FIL only saw a tiny bit of bud rot on one spot, zero PM, but he also put his plants out early June whereas MIL would go early May
My internet connection went down. I will get back to you when I can use a full size keyboard, hopefully tomorrow.

My internet connection went down. I will get back to you when I can use a full size keyboard, hopefully tomorrow.

Oof.. I highly recommend ATT Fiber if it’s available.. I pay 60$ a month for internet service that blows comcast/xfinity out of the water.. the only time my internet has gone down was when the cable to the house was damaged and they were out within 24 hours to fix it.. Best internet service provider I’ve ever had

Take your time, I’m still in the planning stages

For my current grow however, I have a wood moisture meter, and I intend to use that instead of the stem test.
I'm also looking at getting some Grove bags

Family Tree, Black Sugar or both?

I’m skeptical about the bags, what sold you? I looked at their website but I couldn’t glean anything useful from it, a lot of marketing speak. I’m not sure why I would use their bags as opposed to glass jars, or for larger amounts, oven bags.

Last couple of grows I've been keeping the room at 60% rh and letting them either hang or get snipped and in open 5 gallon pail liners through cure. This is the easiest so far.

Before I'd get them dry to my room and in jars with a hygrometer to see like you were saying. Or a bucket.
Then burp.

Last cure by the time they felt dry they were reading 52 rh in the jars so I had to rehydrate with Bovedas. Didn’t ruin the buds but I feel like it slows the process down and cuts into some of the smell and flavor. Plus if they get too dry then I’m screwed.

I’ve been keeping the room at 60F and 60 rh so they’re drying slower. I started trimming the big fan leaves and the buds still have some considerable size so we’ll see how it goes

Family Tree, Black Sugar or both?

I’m skeptical about the bags, what sold you? I looked at their website but I couldn’t glean anything useful from it, a lot of marketing speak. I’m not sure why I would use their bags as opposed to glass jars, or for larger amounts, oven bags.
Both.
I wouldn't necessarily say I'm sold on the bags, but I would like to try them out. They're touted as taking up less space than jars, which is a plus.
I currently have a lot of jars hanging around, although I do have a dedicated cupboard for them, so it's not that bad really.

Like Gee I try to jar mid 60's and burp down to 60-62 ish . I don't make it 4-6 weeks though. Mines more like 2. Lol. But I do it in the house. More style points for that than in some garage. :rolleyes:
but a garage probably helps prolong the cure time...

While they're hanging and I think are getting close, I'll take some of the smaller ones and put them in a closed container with a hygrometer. The little ones dry faster than the big ones obviously so I start with those.

If you start with the bud moisture too low you can kill off the microbes responsible for the curing process and it won't start back up even if you rehydrate them subsequently. Mid 50's or lower probably fits in that category.

Teas really shouldn’t be nutrient teas to begin with, you know that. The point of teas is the microbes. The reason specific ingredients are chosen for a tea is to get those microbes for those amendments. That’s why most teas have similar compositions to the soil. It’s also why there’s a difference between fungal and bacteria dominant teas in regard to their ingredients, temperature, and time. I know you know this but I’m saying it for the observers.

I don’t like teas, I’ve covered this at length and given my reasons for it. They’re overvalued and misused constantly. I treat them as exactly what they’re supposed to be, rescue tools. If I’ve got a tea, I fucked up, or I’m restoring a lifeless area.

With that being said, a lot of what we do is balance. In my mind, throwing endless amounts of microbes into a strain specific soil is only worsening the balance. Similar to organic acids (which most teas also call for), utilizing the teas overwhelms the current balance. This is why you can shift your soil from bacterial to fungal and back. A soil that is strain specific will already have the balance I am looking for and will take care of itself without my intervention.

Throwing teas at a balanced soil will only serve to upset that balance the microbes have cultivated. Microbes don’t need us to supply them with more microbes.

Disclaimer: This is an opinion based on my observations and knowledge. It doesn’t apply across the board. Some people have grows specifically built around the use of teas and that works for them. To me teas are an unnecessary workload that can be offset with a balanced soil.
I grew these, the sativas and indicas, in the same soil. It wasn't strain specific soil. I wanted to see what the differences were so I could adjust towards an indica soil. All it wanted was less fungal dominance, so I added microbes. It worked well enough to notice. But like I said, the experiment stopped there as I didn't need any more indica.

There may be more to it, or a better way, I just found it cool that the plant indicated it wanted less fungal dominance, and changed the ph to suit itself.

It's possible that if I didn't tea them that the plant would have eventually raised it's microbial levels on its own.

While they're hanging and I think are getting close, I'll take some of the smaller ones and put them in a closed container with a hygrometer.
Smaller ones, what are smaller ones? Is that like leftover beer?

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Mooooommmm!! Gee's being a dikk again!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’m impressed by these buds and will post pics later. They’re covered in crystals and have some of the best looking colors I’ve seen.. Neon greens with pastel highlights covered in trichomes. The buds also haven’t lost nearly as much of their weight as they usually do by this point. I can’t wait to get it in the jars

Back
Top Bottom