Mmmmick 1st Scrog 3 strains 90w LED closet

Thats what I am hoping for. The two in the tent are really taking off. I think I am able to see flower sites already. They may be squat plants but the stems are really thick. I love big colas too but I dont know how practical it is to grow those.

I am really glad I didnt pay full price for the mini cool cab. Maybe some of the other turn key models from other companies would be better but who knows. I must say some of the 126w grows seem to grow fairly tall plants with big colas pretty nice. I dont know if a UFO would perform the same or not with the wide angle lens. I would think it wouldnt but I dont have enough experience to say for sure.

You'll see sites pretty soon, if you're not seeing early signs already. Probably practical enough if there's lots of light, but otherwise it's more effective to go for more, smaller sites.
Your cab might be useful if you pump up the exhaust fan.
You'll get some use out of it at least. Can't imagine how hot it would get with an hid in there.
The 126w 30 degree should be able to get the light where it's needed on a tall plant. Some of those grows are doing it with good results, and it's hard to argue with that.
I think the UFO's would need a pretty close mylar enclosure to get light down low. The wide dispersion seems to work out over scrog with mylar nearby, but the design just is not right for taller plants, imo.

looks great man!! can't wait to see what the yield of those is. i have 5 Gigabud under the scrog and a 600w HPS. i did the scrog this time hoping to increase the yield, and it looks like it's going to work. you got what 2 wks. or so left?

looks great man!! can't wait to see what the yield of those is. i have 5 Gigabud under the scrog and a 600w HPS. i did the scrog this time hoping to increase the yield, and it looks like it's going to work. you got what 2 wks. or so left?

Hi Hazy thanks. I couldn't even guess at yield but I'd say my overall yield will be about what you get for popcorn under the 600w,lol. Gigabud sounds like a big yielder.
My first two plants only gave me about a half ounce each with all the newbness I bestowed on them so this time will look relatively great.
I'm sure you'll do better with scrog than regular style growing. What kind of yield have you pulled normally?
I figure maybe 2 weeks on the Afi, but not really sure. Looks like the Super Skunk might want to go longer. It's got some fairly tight growth that looks as if it's gonna open up yet. It's all new to me so I'm just along for the ride this trip.:grinjoint:

Thanks for having a look.

BTW I +repped your post on sfhazes journal, great post.

Thanks! I appreciate it. Cheers, mate. :thanks:

At a quick estimate I still feel the 90 degree leds would give a more uniform spread of light but I don't have it over a screen so thats just a crude assesment of coverage.(and of course 90 degree lens may not even be available)

I would definitely go with a scrog for the UFO's they have such a wide dispersion angle. I'd like to have been able to get a 90 degree 126w, but the 60 will do for now. I expect to scrog all grows from here on.

You'll see sites pretty soon, if you're not seeing early signs already. Probably practical enough if there's lots of light, but otherwise it's more effective to go for more, smaller sites...

I think the UFO's would need a pretty close mylar enclosure to get light down low. The wide dispersion seems to work out over scrog with mylar nearby, but the design just is not right for taller plants, imo.

I would tend to agree with that assessment. I believe one of the first posts I had was to ask HGL if wider angle dispersion lenses were available. It turns out that 90 deg. is a fairly common lens for many LED manufacturers, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to change 'em out. In fact, I would think making them a standard option and marketing them specifically to the ScrOG/low-lying SOG crowd would be very smart. I believe they would handle anything under 20-24" or so very well - the lower the better, of course.

I've been compiling data from the major LED manufacturers for awhile, and have run some quick #'s to get an idea of general light distribution and dispersion based on the type (angle) of lens and LED emitter footprint (i.e. not including the base/casing dimensions, just the area of the light board).

Based on those rough estimates, it looks like a HGL 126W light with a 60 deg. lens at 12" above the canopy covers about the same garden sq. ft. as a 90 degree unit ~6" high. Or, you can raise the 90 deg. unit up just a few inches and cover an additional ~2 sq. ft. or so. And over a ~20-24 sq. ft. garden, you may be able to get away with using 3 of those units instead of four of the standard lens. I call that unit a 'ScrOG Special'... ;)

The #'s I ran are based on dispersion rather than light intensity per se, but there's definitely a correlation. I could try to clean them up and put them in chart or graph form, if anyone is interested. (Not sure if most folks realize just how much even a 10 degree difference in lens angle makes in the outcome - maybe a visual reference or two would help. It definitely reinforced my own thinking, at least...)

-----

By the way, I realized I hadn't rep'd your journal yet, so... +Rep to you for doing an excellent job, Mmmmick! You have great updates. :nicethread:

Regards,

-TL

Thanks! I appreciate it. Cheers, mate. :thanks:

I would tend to agree with that assessment. I believe one of the first posts I had was to ask HGL if wider angle dispersion lenses were available. It turns out that 90 deg. is a fairly common lens for many LED manufacturers, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to change 'em out. In fact, I would think making them a standard option and marketing them specifically to the ScrOG/low-lying SOG crowd would be very smart. I believe they would handle anything under 20-24" or so very well - the lower the better, of course.

I've been compiling data from the major LED manufacturers for awhile, and have run some quick #'s to get an idea of general light distribution and dispersion based on the type (angle) of lens and LED emitter footprint (i.e. not including the base/casing dimensions, just the area of the light board).

Based on those rough estimates, it turns out that a HGL 126W light with a 60 deg. lens at 12" above the canopy covers about the same garden sq. ft. as a 90 degree unit ~6" high. Or, you can raise the 90 deg. unit up just a few inches and cover an additional ~2 sq. ft. or so. And over a ~20-24 sq. ft. garden, you may be able to get away with using 3 of those units instead of four of the standard lens. I call that unit a 'ScrOG Special'... ;)

The #'s I ran are based on dispersion rather than light intensity per se, but there's definitely a correlation. I could try to clean them up and put them in chart or graph form, if anyone is interested. (Not sure if most folks realize just how much even a 10 degree difference in lens angle makes in the outcome - maybe a visual reference or two would help. It definitely reinforced my own thinking, at least...)

-----

By the way, I realized I hadn't rep'd your journal yet, so... +Rep to you for doing an excellent job, Mmmmick! You have great updates. :nicethread:

Regards,

-TL

Hi Lurker.
I discussed the 90 degree lens with Cammie also and if the lens are available it seemed possible to go with that dispersion angle.
I'm going with the 60 degree unit next grow for a demo of that unit on my size screen, 19x27 inches, as the 126w is currently offered in two primary dispersion angles and the standard unit is preferred for the demo. I'm willing to go with that design and let the led do the talking. Results will say more than I ever could, but I will admit a bias in favor of the 90. This bias is not based in math or science, lol.
I like your numbers. Greater proximity to the grow with 90 degree leds. I would have to get a couple of grows in with the 90 degree lenses to see if the 6" range is acceptable for most of a grow as 12" is suggested. The 90w UFO seemed to have an unusual effect on tops at 4 to 6 inches during flower in my first grow. Pistles browned and shriveled up early. I've seen one grow where there was significant bleaching of tops at 4 to 6". Further testing needed imo.
A wider selection of dispersion angles would make the lights more suitable to a range of screen sizes with tailored areas of coverage, within the boundaries of effective output strength. More scrog-friendly.
A chart might be a useful discussion tool. I'd like to see it.

Appreciate the rep and your comments, as always. Thank you.

This has nothing to do with my grow but I've seen so many great pictures of glass that I have to put this pic up.

HPIM2951.JPG

Yes it's nasty but its got 46 years in and thumbed across Canada and back, coast to coast, twice by 1966 and it was only 2 at the time. I couldn't count how many pounds have met their fiery death in that little bowl. heheh
This pipe has been present for all but 30 days of my history as a toker.

i love pieces with great history behind them
i have a bubler thats gone through like 6 different generations in my hometown
ill have to post a pic of it in my journal next time i get some bud to pack up in it
its seen many different stoners and prolly pounds have gone through it
nothing like your "ancient" stoner pipe lol

Hi Sacred Spiral

heheh my glass never lasts very long, I'm just plain clumsy at times.
I'd like to see that bubbler.

hi
ive always wondered if the LED's worked good
so far looks like theyre treat you well
good luck and hope everything goes well
imma get a pic of it in a minute along with another little pipe i made in shop class on my journal if you wanna stop by
have it up in a couple min

hi
ive always wondered if the LED's worked good
so far looks like theyre treat you well
good luck and hope everything goes well
imma get a pic of it in a minute along with another little pipe i made in shop class on my journal if you wanna stop by
have it up in a couple min
Thanks SS
I can hang for a couple of minutes. Just did a quick read of your journal. Interesting little project you've got going there.

You'll see sites pretty soon, if you're not seeing early signs already. Probably practical enough if there's lots of light, but otherwise it's more effective to go for more, smaller sites.
Your cab might be useful if you pump up the exhaust fan.
You'll get some use out of it at least. Can't imagine how hot it would get with an hid in there.
The 126w 30 degree should be able to get the light where it's needed on a tall plant. Some of those grows are doing it with good results, and it's hard to argue with that.

My girls in the cab are a month in already and two are showing lots of pistoles. I think that root rot really caused them to get behind. If you order one of these units with the HID there is another exhaust to exhaust the light but I still think temps would be an issue. I want to upgrade the exhaust on this unit but I am not sure what to upgrade it too. Its using a bathroom exhaust fan currently. I am trying to figure out a way to mount something more heavy duty in place of the exhaust fan. So far I haven't come up with anything.

Hay Mmmmick, love all the great info. A little to technical for this little brain of mine but I think some of it might stick when I make my final decision on which LED to buy.

On a side note, that is a great piece of history you have there. I wish I would have save all my pipes and bongs over the years. It would have been fun to fill them up give them a smoke a remember all the places and great time we had. + rep

Hey bro I used to have a pipe like that . Dependable as hell. Didn't have it for 60 years but it's circled my whole group of friends as it's owner. Gotta love those chamber pipes

Hi Mmmmick:grinjoint:

Man, I had to read pages to catch up. People are really watching your grow. WTG:surf:

The interest in LEDs is really growing and your grow is a great one for folks to watch. Great job Buddy :goodjob:

Hi OMM, you know all about lots of pages, I really enjoy reading your journal.
Yeah Leds and scrog is a good combo to generate some interest. Been fun. Thanks for dropping in, I appreciate yoru comments.

My girls in the cab are a month in already and two are showing lots of pistoles. I think that root rot really caused them to get behind. If you order one of these units with the HID there is another exhaust to exhaust the light but I still think temps would be an issue. I want to upgrade the exhaust on this unit but I am not sure what to upgrade it too. Its using a bathroom exhaust fan currently. I am trying to figure out a way to mount something more heavy duty in place of the exhaust fan. So far I haven't come up with anything.

Yeah they might be slowed by that. Did they get the Bushmasters?

Inline duct fans are commonly used in grows. Home depot is said to be a good source. I'm surprised that bathroom fan can't move enough air to keep things cool. Your tent must need a larger intake hole, perhaps. A barhroom vent fan should be able to move a lot of air.

Hay Mmmmick, love all the great info. A little to technical for this little brain of mine but I think some of it might stick when I make my final decision on which LED to buy.

On a side note, that is a great piece of history you have there. I wish I would have save all my pipes and bongs over the years. It would have been fun to fill them up give them a smoke a remember all the places and great time we had. + rep

Hi sonzor thank you. Bottom line is just a quest to match coverage with screen size(well in my case at least). The 30 degree dispersion angle might be best for a natural grow, but a scrog might benefit from the 60 or even wider. It's good that there is a comparison grow to keep an eye on. Certainly should show clearly which led is doing the best job.
Are you planning to use your choice for vegging only or do you think you might do a complete grow indoors?

Yeah that old pipe has been through a lot, more good than bad. Life. Amazed I still own it. Nothing else I've ever owned has survived that long. Thanks for hangin in through my grow I appreciate the interest. And thanks very much for the reps.

Hey bro I used to have a pipe like that . Dependable as hell. Didn't have it for 60 years but it's circled my whole group of friends as it's owner. Gotta love those chamber pipes

hi legal, they are definitely rugged enough to get around some. Mine is missing it's plastic mouthpiece, but I still use it often.

Hi sonzor thank you. Bottom line is just a quest to match coverage with screen size(well in my case at least). The 30 degree dispersion angle might be best for a natural grow, but a scrog might benefit from the 60 or even wider. It's good that there is a comparison grow to keep an eye on. Certainly should show clearly which led is doing the best job.
Are you planning to use your choice for vegging only or do you think you might do a complete grow indoors?

Yeah that old pipe has been through a lot, more good than bad. Life. Amazed I still own it. Nothing else I've ever owned has survived that long. Thanks for hangin in through my grow I appreciate the interest. And thanks very much for the reps.

Thank you made it a lot simpler for this simple mind. I think I might want to get two. One for veg. for plants that will go outside. I would also like to try my hand at a complete grow inside, so one for that also. Still not sure which way to go with the lights, but learning something new every day so I will make my decision soon. Thanks for all the great information.

Back
Top Bottom