My Introduction To DWC Hydroponics

Maritimers trials and tribulations learning about running dwc (deep water culture) cannabis plants. This is my first bubble-run. I will go over what equipment I have and then the food. There is more that I don't know about this, so please correct me when I goof. I hate to tag folks, (always forgetting someone) but "special needs Maritimer" has solicited a pair of "Hydro-mentors" in @Rexer and @West Hippie. I will delay for now, learning @Azimuth's secrets to the dip tray or sip tray.

Hey Amigo :ciao:
Got room for me?
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

These are excellent setting.
How old are your plants? I am guessing 3 to 4 weeks of veg?
Hi Tokin,
The young ladies are 3 weeks young. I say young because I had to flip them a bit early. The bloom room is split in half between a peat-based crew that must be protected and prioritized over a crew of Hydro bubblers. Until I can work out my snags, I have too many folks that count on my supply to risk a full crop on hydro. And I also lost at least a week when I transplanted the plants from peat to water as the abiotic stress put them in shock for a while. I thought I killed one of the four transplants but looks like she will pull through now. Sorry if I sound like I have a confidence deficiency, but I do. LOL

Ahoy there!
Bubblers,
#1 = 846 ppm. stable, ph 6.37 rising, adj to 5.85
#2 = 852 ppm. stable, ph 6.25 rising, adj to 5.89
#3 = 883 ppm. stable, ph 6.23 rising, adj to 5.83
#4 = 825 ppm. stable, ph 6.27 rising, adj to 5.87

Getting the root enhancer today. Need it bad.

The dirty girls in peat are doing great. We have a pair of GG#4, Four Kahunas Curse, Four Red Sky Sativa's that will be our go to crew in the event I destroy the Bubblers. :love:

Ahoy there!
Bubblers,
#1 = 846 ppm. stable, ph 6.37 rising, adj to 5.85
#2 = 852 ppm. stable, ph 6.25 rising, adj to 5.89
#3 = 883 ppm. stable, ph 6.23 rising, adj to 5.83
#4 = 825 ppm. stable, ph 6.27 rising, adj to 5.87
How was the water level? Static, or dropping?
Static water level, and Static PPM can be an indicator that their not feeding. If it was a rising PPM, I'd be more worried.
But their also transitioning to their new environment and might be adjusting still.
If the PPM and water level remain Static by tomorrow, dilute each one down slightly...a drop of 50-80 PPM usually gets them going again.

The dilution amounts are best guesses, not something written in stone, and thus there is room for being off a bit when/if you dilute. I usually go up or down by increments of 50-100 PPM

How was the water level? Static, or dropping?
Static water level, and Static PPM can be an indicator that their not feeding. If it was a rising PPM, I'd be more worried.
But their also transitioning to their new environment and might be adjusting still.
If the PPM and water level remain Static by tomorrow, dilute each one down slightly...a drop of 50-80 PPM usually gets them going again.

The dilution amounts are best guesses, not something written in stone, and thus there is room for being off a bit when/if you dilute. I usually go up or down by increments of 50-100 PPM
Now I am all jacked up. Never paid too much attention to water level. I will make water level checks a part of my routine. Just starting to see roots out the nets. water level cartoon pictures would be great, too high, too low, just right, as Im not comfortable saying I know where the water level should be. Then I can have you teach me what dropping levels indicate. Sorry Rex, Old Capt is a slow learner.

Looking ship shape @Maritimer

As long as everything is within perimeters you will have an excellent grow.
I have read some of your journals, so I am familiar with the reason behind your growing.

These are the perimeters I use:
Water temperature 66 to 70 degrees. If you have a solution temperature over 72 degrees for a period of time root rot will set in. As long as you are using Hydro-guard, this should not be a problem.
Ph - 5.7 to 6.0 adjust as necessary
Aeration - I use three or four air stones per 5- gallon bucket
PPM's - I normally go a little on the light side, it's easier to add more the remove it. Using GH nutrients most strains I have grow like the 600 - 800 ppm's in flower. I can remember right off, because I have been testing sponsors nutrients the last year or so; but I believe it is just over half to three-quarter of manufactures recommendation.

Keeping track of your ppm's and water levels will help you identify who is taking up water or nutrients and who isn't. Make note of how much water or nutrients you add between solution changes

With DWC it's all about the water/solution to keep the roots happy, healthy, and active.

I need to go to the store, I will be back in a couple hours.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

Now I am all jacked up. Never paid too much attention to water level. I will make water level checks a part of my routine. Just starting to see roots out the nets. water level cartoon pictures would be great, too high, too low, just right, as Im not comfortable saying I know where the water level should be. Then I can have you teach me what dropping levels indicate. Sorry Rex, Old Capt is a slow learner.
Sounds like your enjoying DWC . Do you watch the bud pics thread ? Here is something I’m going to try in dwc plus I enjoy watching this thread a place to show those buds off .
I wished I hadn’t neglected my seeds in rockwool but I saved one and put in soil for a mother plant . Fixing to start more tomorrow last sunny day here so I’m riding my new toy as mama calls it all day .
@Rexer do you have the hydro bible it helps to a certain extent.

Don't sweat it brother!
This is a learning experience. And it's hard to actually kill a plant in DWC.

Tok summarized it very well.
Think of it like this:
  • When the water level drops, and the PPM drops- they are eating and drinking (what you're after).
  • When the PPM stays static, but water is going down, they are drinking but not eating

Sounds like your enjoying DWC . Do you watch the bud pics thread ? Here is something I’m going to try in dwc plus I enjoy watching this thread a place to show those buds off .
If your goal is just to bring out the purples....why not just lower the room temp? Save a bit on heating at the same time ;)
I wished I hadn’t neglected my seeds in rockwool but I saved one and put in soil for a mother plant .
it happens. I lost my clone of the bigger soil plants that i made.
i may be able to take one more off (when harvesting i left a few leaves and one or two lower buds...so there is still a slim chance for a 2nd clone).
Fixing to start more tomorrow last sunny day here so I’m riding my new toy as mama calls it all day .
@Rexer do you have the hydro bible it helps to a certain extent.
I always have that chart handy...

If its any help, these are the parameters that I monitor daily, I find it gives a good picture of what's going on.
Tent temp:
Tent RH%:
Previous PPM
:
Current PPM:
Adjusted PPM to:
PH:
Res temp:
Water level (up/down/static):

My trick? I take two solo cups and remove a sample from the reservoir. I stick my PH pen in one, and TDS in the other, then snap a photo with my phone (which automatically attaches a date/time).

@Maritimer
This was referred to as the "hydro bible" and is an excellent guide.
Ignore the dropping PH part when in mid/late flower...it's normal and to be expected (just adjust the PH).
C62E28B0-CCEB-4E4A-BC84-A47103ECEC8B.jpeg.jpg

Yesterday we added Rapid Root and received our pack of enzymes we will be asking Rexer how to use. I was surprised to see the enzymes instructions say to wait until a nute change before adding.

Additionally we put in a Vivosun air pump (thanks rex) we have for another system to use and put in these crazy 4 inch air stones from Pet Smart. Wow lots of bubbles. So now we got two air lines feeding each 5 gal bucket.

When I go downstairs I am going to follow the daily parameters like Rex and try to post the readings daily. The more I work the numbers maybe the sooner things start to click for me and it will make sense. I will grab some pics of the crews.

Yesterday we added Rapid Root and received our pack of enzymes we will be asking Rexer how to use. I was surprised to see the enzymes instructions say to wait until a nute change before adding.

Additionally we put in a Vivosun air pump (thanks rex) we have for another system to use and put in these crazy 4 inch air stones from Pet Smart. Wow lots of bubbles. So now we got two air lines feeding each 5 gal bucket.

When I go downstairs I am going to follow the daily parameters like Rex and try to post the readings daily. The more I work the numbers maybe the sooner things start to click for me and it will make sense. I will grab some pics of the crews.
I'm glad Rex is fixing you up.
I'm not a dwc guy so I'm leaning not helping. :thumb:
Have a great day Amigo. :passitleft:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Wow,
I get easily confused. Headed down with a copy of your parameter list and stopped where it says "Adj. ppm to;" I thought I was adjusting ph. So do I adj for ppm then check ph and adj for that?

'If its any help, these are the parameters that I monitor daily, I find it gives a good picture of what's going on.
Tent temp:
Tent RH%:
Previous PPM
:
Current PPM:
Adjusted PPM to:
PH:
Res temp:

Water level (up/down/static):"

I did the water checks but have not made any adjustments to anything.

Room Temp 75*
Room R/H 59%
Water Temp 71.6*
Water Level Not sure how to measure yet?
Previous ppm. 846
Current ppm 929 Rising?
Adj. ppm.
Current P/H 6.10 rising?
Adj P/H to;

I will wait for input before adjusting anything. @Rexer @West Hippie
Thanks everyone.

Wow,
I get easily confused. Headed down with a copy of your parameter list and stopped where it says "Adj. ppm to;" I thought I was adjusting ph. So do I adj for ppm then check ph and adj for that?

'If its any help, these are the parameters that I monitor daily, I find it gives a good picture of what's going on.
Tent temp:
Tent RH%:
Previous PPM
:
Current PPM:
Adjusted PPM to:
PH:
Res temp:

Water level (up/down/static):"

I did the water checks but have not made any adjustments to anything.

Room Temp 75*
Room R/H 59%
Water Temp 71.6*
Water Level Not sure how to measure yet?
Previous ppm. 846
Current ppm 929 Rising?
Adj. ppm.
Current P/H 6.10 rising?
Adj P/H to;

I will wait for input before adjusting anything. @Rexer @West Hippie
Thanks everyone.
So, you can feel free to modify or use those parameters as you see fit.
But to answer your question, if you didn't adjust PPM, then just mark "not adjusted ". It's just a quick way to say that nothing was added to the reservoir that would effect the PPM (nutes/cal mag for example).

PPM is just another way of saying how much nutrients (or "food") is in the water to kinda oversimplify it. Though, your PH up/down will effect it a bit (don't sweat that).

Since you didn't measure the water level- keep a close eye on the PPM.

Easiest way to measure, from your pictures, I see you have the blue tubes on the side. Use those, that's why they are there :) . Make a mark at the full line on the tube (if it doesn't have one already).
I should have said this earlier, I'm sorry.
Here is your daily "chore list" lol.

1) Top off your buckets to the full line with RO water. Note how much was added. No need to be highly specific- water level down, static, huge drop, etc.
Everyday keep topping it off with water - nothing added.

2) Then you want to take your readings (PH, PPM, res temp)

3) Then adjust PH as needed.

It's as simple as that.

Later, if we get into something called "hot topping " the adjusting PPM will come more into play. But let's keep it simple for now. And just mark "not adjusted " if you didn't add anything other than PH adjustments.

a quick rundown on Hot topping: its when you add nutrients to an already mixed reservoir.
I've done it and it works- but lately I've taken to West Hippie's way of not hot topping, unless it's to correct a deficiency.
Now I just add plain ro water whenever possible. It's simpler, and cheaper.

Edit- I feel like I'm missing or mis saying something in this post- @West Hippie , @Tokin Roll @LKABudMan
Can I trouble you to look this over? I'm not at the top of my game today...

My buckets have no full line. So, my next dumb question. What should the full line be recorded (Marked) on the water level indicator be? Water even with bottom net cups or one inch below net cups? ect. The present water level is not showing in the tube. Full, with probably too much water? Also, at the res change I noticed I was only using about 4 gal per bucket, not the 5 Gallons I planned for.

Sorry I am peppering you this early.

My buckets have no full line. So, my next dumb question. What should the full line be recorded (Marked) on the water level indicator be?
Im a big believer in the "no such thing as dumb questions "
Water even with bottom net cups or one inch below net cups? ect.
1 inch below is your full mark. Worse case, make a scratch on the inside of the bucket. Or clean and use a measuring tape if you want real exactness (just dip the measuring tape into the bucket).
The present water level is not showing in the tube.
Ahh, so their useless. Damn, that would have been perfect.
Full, with probably too much water? Also, at the res change I noticed I was only using about 4 gal per bucket, not the 5 Gallons I planned for.
yes, you would loose a bit of volume to accommodate the net cup, and space between the water level and cup.
Sorry I am peppering you this early.
Pepper away! @Maritimer It's the best way to learn, and others may also chime in with different perspectives- I don't claim to be an expert lol.

Went down and drained off water to 1 inch below net pots and the water level is now displayed in the water level tubes. All four buckets have been over full all this time. Maybe that explains some of the sad pictures of the plants I will put up later.

What a dumbass I can be.
It did occur to me I did not know what full should be as I excitedly filled my new hydro-buckets.
Just filled em anyhows :rolleyes:

Went down and drained off water to 1 inch below net pots and the water level is now displayed in the water level tubes. All four buckets have been over full all this time. Maybe that explains some of the sad pictures of the plants I will put up later.

What a dumbass I can be.
It did occur to me I did not know what full should be as I excitedly filled my new hydro-buckets.
Just filled em anyhows :rolleyes:
It's a learning experience brother- don't be too hard on yourself. They'll perk up quickly.

At least now we know you can use the tubes to monitor the water level.

It's a learning experience brother- don't be too hard on yourself. They'll perk up quickly.

At least now we know you can use the tubes to monitor the water level.
You will be proud of your pupil today. 👩‍🌾 Good things happen every time you help me. Check back for pictures in a minute.

Just an added input to put you at ease..............

RELAX

It is very easy to get excited and over react with hydro. As has been said, " it is very difficult to kill a plant in hydro".
If you get hurried or confused take a seat and some meds. Nothing needs to be dealt with ASAP, unless there is water running across the floor.

You are doing fine. Learn as you grow.

:Namaste:

Your just fine , you don’t have enough roots coming out to hurt anything by touching the mesh pot . I found out in the five gallon buckets three gallons make a perfect level . It’s 5-1/2” to 6”s from the top of the bucket.
I did the hot top off with advanced Nutrients seemed critical then came mc seemed to burn the tip’s every time, so it depends on the nutrients I’m believing. @Rifleman actually got me started topping with water .

Back
Top Bottom