New Space - New Clones - Advice Appreciated

EpiK

I have some pictures of my new space and some clones I wanted to share with you guys and girls ;). Ive been super busy and havn't had alot of time to maintain things well. Im starting to see my lack of effort to show big time. I currently have 2 mother plants on the verge of disaster and will not be showing pics of :) (atm). Right now I have 21 clones from 2 Top44 mothers. I was looking to Scrog these babys but havn't looked into it yet. I have a question or two for now as Im noob and it would help out alot.

Can I use a nice clone for a new mother plant? If so how to pick one? What are the draw backs from 2nd gen clones? Maybe alittle info or a link please.

I'd LOVE some advice on what you guys would do with these clones in this space. Right now Im thinking of making a pvc frame like everyone does with the 1" chicken wire, putting it to the top of the plants and looking more into how to do scorg :).

Help me out bro's and pro's. Happy Smoking.

21 clones
Top44
30"L x 57"W x 27"H <--from the bot of the light at full hight from the floor.
Pots 4"H x 5 1/2"W
400W digital ballist 400w Metal-Halide grow right now and 400 HPS for bloom.
Soil from the hydro shop.
DNF A+B nutrience ramdom discuss later
I dont PH test.. Yes i know i should.

Pic 1
100_14952.JPG

Pic2
100_15001.JPG

Pic3
100_15011.JPG

Pic4
100_15022.JPG

You can see in the pic bellow 2 of the clones that ended up getting some leaves trimmed durring cloning that look not so good. The 3 in the front look pretty shabby, hope they can catch up. O haha see that lil girl in the back. She was the smallest to start last to root but looks good.

Pic5
100_15031.JPG

Pic6
100_15041.JPG

I almost forgot. Some links on ScroG would be super awsome! Im pretty intimidated by the idea. Im not sure what i should do with the clones that i have. Top them maybe? Remove bottom growth? Bend them over somehow? Argh I just dont have time to play and would like some yeild out of these. I'm sorry this looks so awsome and Im so noob. It happends. Never played with clones and mom's before.... Just grew from seed to finish inside soil but no room anymore.

Re: New Space, New Clones, Advice Needed.

Hey bro!

You asked for tips over on my journal......

Keep it simple! With a 400 watt light, I'd grow no more than 4 plants. Flower them immediately, and top them after about 7 days after changing the light cycle.

Otherwise, the plants will be too tall and you'll have thin, wispy buds. Don't mess with SCROG, SOG just yet.....learn how to make the plants grow first.

Put them in larger pots...like 3 gallons.
Go easy on the nutes.
Don't bother checking or adjusting pH. The larger pots fix that issue for you.

Hey bro!

You asked for tips over on my journal......

Keep it simple! With a 400 watt light, I'd grow no more than 4 plants. Flower them immediately, and top them after about 7 days after changing the light cycle.

Otherwise, the plants will be too tall and you'll have thin, wispy buds. Don't mess with SCROG, SOG just yet.....learn how to make the plants grow first.

Put them in larger pots...like 3 gallons.
Go easy on the nutes.
Don't bother checking or adjusting pH. The larger pots fix that issue for you.

Doc pretty much coverd it, great advice to go by. I like your set-up, nice and clean... best of luck :thumb:

Looks clinically clean there brother some serious white surfaces, id take Doc's advice pick 4 - 6 of the strongest and put all your efforts into them, of course keep it simple.

Best of luck brother ill be watching.

:peace:

Hey epiK,

Nice looking clones! I don't know about you, but I hate to kill healthy plants. If you decide to just grow four plants, you'll have to axe the rest. Although I haven't tried it, both SOG and SCROG look pretty straightforward.

They're two forms of LST (LIght Stress Training), which is a way to control your plants' height as well as inducing more bud sites to form.

I've been using a different form of LST in my last two grows, which is tieing down the larger colas so they don't get too tall.

Personally, I would try SCROG. All you're doing is letting the plants grow through a screen and tieing them down. Basically it's a trellis.

Anyway, it's your grow - you decide. I'm going to post some information on B]SOG[/B] and SCROG so that you can make an informed decision.

SOG (Screen Of Green)

SOG7.jpg

Sea of green or SOG is the method of growing where a multitude of smaller plants are grown instead of few larger ones. These smaller plants will mature faster and in less time than larger plants and one crop can be started while another is maturing. This saves the grower a lot of time and money as less time is required between crops. This method is also good for those wanting to make the most out of their smaller grow area.

Twice as many plants grown half as big will fill the grow space twice as fast, so harvests take place almost twice as often.

Although SOG is more of a style of growing than an actual technique that can be applied in order to increase the harvest, I still wanted to mention it here as this method of growing will under the right conditions actually increase the harvest. As opposed to growing a few larger plants in the same area that is. Since you want the buds to cover as much of the grow area as possible, one plant per sq. ft. is a good rule of thumb for SOG.

Plants should naturally not be topped when using the this method as the idea is to harvest the main cola from a whole bunch of smaller plants and topping them defeats that purpose. The SOG plants do not require any training either as that will only slow them down and delay the harvest. It is probably better to just grow more plants instead and fill out the entire surface area with as many plants as possible. In case the smaller plants do not fill up the entire area of the grow room, some minor LST training might be needed in order for them to branch out a bit more.

The SOG plants can also be Scrogged for further control over the plants. In order for this method to be truly effective, all the new plants would have to be clones from the same mother. That means that all the little plants will grow at the same speed, which is important for keeping an even canopy.

Although no topping and training is needed when growing SOG, the trimming of branches and fan leafs, especially lower ones, becomes a must because every little bit of space counts towards the harvest. By removing excess fan leafs that would otherwise block bud sites, the SOG grower improves on his yield. Since SOG grows usually contain a great number of plants in a relatively small area, the need for trimming fan leafs becomes apparent. After all, what we are after is a bountiful harvest and different methods apply to different styles of growing.

SCROG (Screen Of Green)

ScrOG10.jpg

Scrogging, or Screen of Green means that you suspend a net over the plants and allow them to grow through it. This makes it easier to separate the growing branches so that they cover the entire area of the grow room. The scrog net also provides support as the buds can often become so heavy that that the branches cannot support them any more and break under the weight. Thereby the scrog net also removes the need for noisy fans, used to make the stems stronger through the waving effect. Personally never use fans due to limited space.

I usually train the plants for up to three months before flipping the switch, which means that they are thick stemmed and quite large in size. Although plants can be kept very low with training, my aim is to grow large and busy plants that produce the maximum amount of buds. Due to the long vegetative period, the plants are strong and healthy with an abundance of bud sites.

I try to keep the canopy even by topping the plants that stretch more but sometimes it is impossible, especially when growing both indicas and sativas at the same time. One has to adjust according to the plants and direct longer branches to the corners of the grow room, sometimes the only option is to tie the branches horizontally so that they are resting on the scrog net. This can be a strange sight as the buds keep growing vertically out of the side of the flower.

The basic idea is that the training should be complete by the time the plants start flowering and grow through the net. Sometimes a second scrog net is necessary higher up if the plants need further support.

There are also different methods when it comes to scrogging, some people tilt the net so that one side is higher than the other, as this provides a greater surface area for the buds.

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom