New Farmer - Advice Appreciated

And not a single flower? It definitely looks like it's stretched though?
Yeah theres flowers, and lots going on underneath! Could this be a sign of a good slow growing strain thats gonna knock the doors off ?? I hope so, I have gained alot of patience during this first grow, and yes they are healthy, thanks for noticing, minus a couple of snafus here and there, I think they are healthier than I am, I have been all over them LOL. Well I will post all 4 together I am just waiting for this one to flower a bit more and catch up,and will get some good lighting on the porch..Anyone else reading this have any Ideas?:Namaste:

just a though though, teSmp might correct me on this, but you say your using 5000k lights, would this be the reason why flower is slow, i know that 2700k cfl lights are prefered for the flower stage, are these lights the same when comes to the k rating or am i mixing 2 different light types up,
you are using flouresent lights and your using the 5000k so that would be a mixed spectrum bulb if im heading in the right direction, so you could use the bulb to veg as well as flower but it would take longer,

i could be totally wrong im only going on things ive picked up, im sure someone will jump in and give me a slap round the back of the head for getting it wrong, then ill sit their with my dunce hat on, i got one just in case

@donpaul, yes 6500k is best for veg and 2700k is best for flowering. The more light typically the better but I believe in between those two spectrums there is a lot of unusable light that these plants wont use. I didn't see he was just using 5000k, if so you should definitely go get some 2700k.

@donpaul, yes 6500k is best for veg and 2700k is best for flowering. The more light typically the better but I believe in between those two spectrums there is a lot of unusable light that these plants wont use. I didn't see he was just using 5000k, if so you should definitely go get some 2700k.
I will go do that! I figured I would just let it ride but if it will speed it up the rest of the way i will do it, I have shop lights though, 4 feet.6 lights, thats not enough?

I will go do that! I figured I would just let it ride but if it will speed it up the rest of the way i will do it, I have shop lights though, 4 feet.6 lights, thats not enough?

That's up to you bud, it's enough light but kelvin rating is important. That's typically why people use HPS for flowering which is somewhere around the 2700k range of CFL's and use MH bulbs for veg which is around the 6500k CFL's. If it were me I would definately get some 2700k CFL's and Y splitters they're really cheap.

thanks for jumping in teSmp, i wasnt to sure myself about the 5000k he is using, i was thinking maybe its middle of the range so could be used for veg and flower,

i woudlnt say you havent got enough lighting, i would say you have got plenty of lighting its just in the wrong light spectrum. for veg you want 6500kelvin bulbs that have a blue light look to them and for flower you want the 2700kelvin bulbs that have an orangey glow to them.

the good news is that you can buy the 2700kelvin cfl bulbs from anywhere even super markets, their all over the place and cheap to buy the harder ones to get are the 6500kelvin bulbs i had to get mine off the net, but the 2700k bulbs i got for free out the paper orr off energy companies, super markets sell them for next to nothing, i would go for anything above 20watts, and you go on the actual watts not what it says on the packet, like it will tell you a 30watt cfl is the same as 150watt incandecent, but it isnt you always go on the actual wattage which is the 30watts, you may need to go to hardware stores to get anything above 20watts though but the good thing is with the 20watt 2700kelvin bulbs is you can pack them in and even have them hanging around your plants getting even more light in.

i dont know much about 5000kelvin bulbs or how they will affect the grow, im only going on what i have picked up and thats 6500kelvin for veg stage and 2700kelvin for flower stage.

their are more experienced growers on here that will tell you more, just thought id give my 5 cents worth as i noticed you was using the 5000k bulbs, hope thats some help to you

dont they sell replacement bulbs for the fitting, you want warm white bulbs for flower, most strip lights though are cool white or like the bulbs you have got, i mean you could still use it just get some cheap light fittings from hardware store and some cfls and then hang these above the plant, it seems you have been getting some result with that light so i wouldnt rule it out completely, but you could get some light fittings and some normal extension cord and cut it to length and wire the cfls to a plug and just plug them in and have them running along side your light, if you removed that light completely then you would need to get a load of say 20watt 2700k cfls, to replace the light the plants where getting from that, if your plants are budding from that but just taking longer then i would just add extra lighting to it, the fittings and bulbs are cheap to buy, and just plug into the timer your using and you will be good to go,

dont they sell replacement bulbs for the fitting, you want warm white bulbs for flower, most strip lights though are cool white or like the bulbs you have got, i mean you could still use it just get some cheap light fittings from hardware store and some cfls and then hang these above the plant, it seems you have been getting some result with that light so i wouldnt rule it out completely, but you could get some light fittings and some normal extension cord and cut it to length and wire the cfls to a plug and just plug them in and have them running along side your light, if you removed that light completely then you would need to get a load of say 20watt 2700k cfls, to replace the light the plants where getting from that, if your plants are budding from that but just taking longer then i would just add extra lighting to it, the fittings and bulbs are cheap to buy, and just plug into the timer your using and you will be good to go,
I think They are coming along now that I got the PH straight too, I think the lighting is an issue as well but money constraints, very Limited at the moment.I have noticed since getting the soil to it's proper PH they have started to be active again. Plus the lights that I have are sunshine lights not the regular cool white, not that that makes a big difference but they had two to choose from one cool white and one was the sunshine it said on it! I will see if they have the Orange lights that will fit my fixtures, The ones I bought were 2 for 7.99, I know thats cheap and I get the results I pay for, and as I go i will collect new things for the next grow, Its jjst the unti at my local hydro shop they wat 200 bucks for the ballasts and about 20 dollars per light and they are the skinny ones not the thicker ones that I have, I have the standard shop light set up! And thanks for the info too, I apreciate all the help I get!

no probs mate, the other option would be to get a load of them cheap energy saving bulbs (cfls,) all the ones you get in super markets are perfect for the flower stage, they are all 2700k cfls, range from 11 watt upto 20 watt in supermarkets, you can usually buy them in packs of 4, these cost next to nothing to buy the brighter 6500k cfls are harder to get and more expensive but their for the veg cycle which you dont need, so you could go out and get a few of the cheaper 2700k cfls id say go for the 20watt ones or 23 watt if you can get them, ive got 30watts that where more expensive but still cheap and ive got loads of the smaller 20watt cfls to use around the plants, so if you bought some of the cfls the normal warm white ones that you use around the house then buy some light fittings that get from a hardware store and wire it up to a plug, you could wire 4 or 5 of these lights into 1 plug socket, you would need to make something to hold the sockets so a piece of wood will be ok for this and screw th light fittings to this then plug it in, this will then help the flowering process loads, you can also keep the cfls lights close to the plants to get the most from them as the light level drops the further away the bulbs are and these cfls give off very little heat so wont stress the plants.

its just an idea mate, and it wouldnt cost much to set up, its all ive done, i bought a load of light sockets for £0.79p and i secured them to a piece of an old fire guard i had cut down and i just use that above my plants in the veg room and it can hold 9 cfls ive only got 6 in though and its ok for what i need, and my flower room has got 2 30watt 2700kelvin bulbs hanging on a bracket then ill hang others around the plants ill use the 20 watt cfls to hang around the plants to ensure i get the whole plant lit up,

no probs mate, the other option would be to get a load of them cheap energy saving bulbs (cfls,) all the ones you get in super markets are perfect for the flower stage, they are all 2700k cfls, range from 11 watt upto 20 watt in supermarkets, you can usually buy them in packs of 4, these cost next to nothing to buy the brighter 6500k cfls are harder to get and more expensive but their for the veg cycle which you dont need, so you could go out and get a few of the cheaper 2700k cfls id say go for the 20watt ones or 23 watt if you can get them, ive got 30watts that where more expensive but still cheap and ive got loads of the smaller 20watt cfls to use around the plants, so if you bought some of the cfls the normal warm white ones that you use around the house then buy some light fittings that get from a hardware store and wire it up to a plug, you could wire 4 or 5 of these lights into 1 plug socket, you would need to make something to hold the sockets so a piece of wood will be ok for this and screw th light fittings to this then plug it in, this will then help the flowering process loads, you can also keep the cfls lights close to the plants to get the most from them as the light level drops the further away the bulbs are and these cfls give off very little heat so wont stress the plants.

its just an idea mate, and it wouldnt cost much to set up, its all ive done, i bought a load of light sockets for £0.79p and i secured them to a piece of an old fire guard i had cut down and i just use that above my plants in the veg room and it can hold 9 cfls ive only got 6 in though and its ok for what i need, and my flower room has got 2 30watt 2700kelvin bulbs hanging on a bracket then ill hang others around the plants ill use the 20 watt cfls to hang around the plants to ensure i get the whole plant lit up,
Ok I went to the local home improvement store, And I found similar shop lights that will fit the t12 flower lights I found, they go for 20 bucks a piece, all I have to do is return the ones I have now for those and buy the t12 bulbs for flowering, and I will still have the same set up, the light fixtures i have now wont handle the wattage of the flowering bulbs and would kill the fixture so I have to upgrade.Not a bad deal anyways because they carry both veg and flower in that size, I dont know what I was thinking before, I should have just done it that way! And now come to think of it I had no Idea what I was doing in the first place when I began this grow, I kind of threw it all together with help from this Magazine! LOL and look at me now! But For next grow I am going to get what you suggested, sounds easy and affordable! Thanks DP:high-five:

no problems mate, glad to help, just thinking of ways to improve things for you, looks like you got it sorted mate, i didnt know nothing about light types before i started my grow on this site, then i found out about the different lights and different kelvin ratings and whats best for each stage of growth, so its helped me loads of improved my grow as well, so if i can pass on what i have learned then all the better,

Ok guys I have one question, My buds on my plants are kind of smelly like ass! Moldy kind of but then it doesn't smell moldy after I smell it again, My cousin was here and he smelled the same thing! Im wondering if I ruined my plants somehow along the way with shitty city water? I dont see grey spots or any linen type pieces of mold spores but still just doesn't smell correct, I mean if you squeeze the bud its sticky as hell and had a nice smell from the stickyness but when you just put your face upt o it, Thats when you get a fart like moldy smell! Screwed if I know! Anyone on this?? Please!:thanks::420:

Re: Hi New Farmer here. Please help

You a funny guy Astonr420, heck I think I remember losing a roach clip in 92 at Sturgis. I think my first time was perhaps maybe, 69? Been far too long ago. Obama? heck I am still looking for Pat Paulson. Kind a looks like Ron Paul now that I think about it. :hmmmm:

I vote for starting a journal :thumb:

yeah pat still owes me a six pack:peace:

no problems mate, glad to help, just thinking of ways to improve things for you, looks like you got it sorted mate, i didnt know nothing about light types before i started my grow on this site, then i found out about the different lights and different kelvin ratings and whats best for each stage of growth, so its helped me loads of improved my grow as well, so if i can pass on what i have learned then all the better,
Don did you see my last post about the funky smell? take a look ok?

What's good keith1074,

I have smelled that same smell before, not on all my strains, but I did smell that same smell in my White Widow, but I saw nothing as well. Everything went fine, I had a successful harvest, only 13 grams, but hey, it was my first grow ever, and I knew nothing and was just a fresh pup here in the forums, that is when I learned that I done many rookie mistakes, and I was glad to find all the information that I had needed here, and many people were willing to help out. Anyways, I think that smell is in part chlorophyll that you smell as well.

Hope this helps brotha. Just make sure that you keep your humidity down in the 20 - 40% range. And keep up on the inspections.

:peacetwo:

Hi mate, sorry had some problems last 2 days, back now though, its hard to say mate about the mould, some strains like the cheeze strain smell like mouldy socks, others smell fruity, some smell like cat piss, unless you see the signs of mould which looks similar to tricomes and is white in colour, i would use google and look at some pics of mouldy cannabis, you should find loads of pictures to help you.

the problem is their are that many different strains and you could say buy 2 seeds from different seed banks and end up with 2 plants that look and smell totally different to each other, its just depends on the genetic make up and how they have been crossed to get to where they are now,

to prevent mould spores make sure the humidity is not to high and make sure you have got good movement of air and fresh air coming in and old air coming out, this should rule out getting mould, id have a good look at some pics and compare it with yours, its hard to see, chances are you might be ok and find that its just the strain and it stinks like that anyway, its to hard to tell without having a microscope or good magnifying glass, have a good search round the net at mould and how to detect mould on cannabis plants, and pictures of mold on cannabis plants, have a good look then compare with yours, i wouldnt give up on it till you are 100% sure mate,

like astoner420 said, keeping humidity down is the key, during veg you need humidity between 50 and 60% as this stops the plant losing to much water and keeps it in a happy place, but when you go to flower keep humidity a lot lower and that should see you could, if humidity is high then improve the air circulation and make sure the hot air is taken out the top of grow area and cold air or cool comes in at the bottom, or keep the grow area open and have a fan blowing on the plants, the main cause of mold is faulty fans and high humidity, if a fan stops it can cause mold, i was looking on the net a while a go and watched a vid on a grow that was hydroponic and the grower only checked on it every couple of weeks, well he had a warehouse full of plants and had several industrial de-humidifiers in their, now on of these stopped workin and the plants in that corner of the grow all got mold and had to be thrown away, a couple of hundred plants he lost, but he had it to lose as he had a load more to harvest so wasnt such a great loss to him,

keep an eye on humidity, keep air moving and when you harvest the plant you need to make sure if you do have mold that once you have cut the mold off that the rest of the buds dont get it, so when you harvest hang the buds upside down and not close to each other, it needs to be in a dark place with movement of air, without having the air moving and high temps and humidity will make it all moldy within days, any chance you can post some close up pics so we can have a look.

you may just be worrying over nothing.

the trics look like how they look, the mold spores are a lot smaller and is a powdery mildew type stuff, so if you dont see this very fine powdery mildew then you have nothing to worry about, but you need to make sure its no the plants trics your looking at so magnifying glass or small handheld microscope will be best, cost about £20 or $35 off amazon,

the mold is very fine powdery stuff, so check for this, you can cut off any mold areas and grow the rest, even when you harvest you can cut off the mold and the rest will be ok, make sure you check it properly, if you have any health or breathing related problems then it can make them worse, but if your healthy in that area then a small amount of mold wont affect you to much, but if it dont taste right then dont smoke it, if it tastes ok then chances are you have removed the infected area and stopped it spreading.

you will probably find its just the smell of the plant, but check things like the top inch of soil make sure their is no stagnent water or mold in the soil, check all around the pots and under the pots, basically anywhere the water can stand this will cause the smell your getting, make sure their is nothing like a wet cloth in the grow, lift the pots and make sure the drain holes are good as if water is settling in the bottom then this could give you the same smell

Well I checked it out online, I have no symptoms of mold, Smokz said it may be just the strain, Aston said it was the strain most likely, you did, And now I have come to the conclusion that I have never been around freshly budding MJ and just have gotten the final product when I bought it! This is a new phase for me in the grow and I will be able to help others with this knowledge to! Greatful to all of you for your help, pics soon , I dont want to post something that looks the same as last week, I will wait a few days, Im sure you will see the progress

Back
Top Bottom