Pre-Med's 1st Grow - DWC - Multi-Strain Journal - Spring 2016

I was having keeping humidity above the 30s during the cold months here. I bought a little reptile tank humidifier for like $6 on amazon. You sit it in a bowl of water and it kicks off great clouds of vapor with no heat. It splashes like hell tho so i got a wide mouth plastic jug and cut vent holes in the top and set a small 4inch fan to blow across the top to circulate the vapor. Took some trial and error but it got my humidity up to between 55%-65% consistently. Think it was a zoo-med product same as the uvb bulb i have.

I purchased a vicks humidifier when I got started with a 1.5gal tank and it does really well when the temps are low or if I keep the exhaust off. I'm wondering if the garage is just too big of a space for the rest of the air to pick up some moisture. Maybe I'll have better moisture retention when I move to the basement.

Hey premedgrow

Looking good so far, Ill sub in for this one :)

GreenFingers

Thanks for the compliments! Please have a seat, this should be good :thumb:

Hi Premed,

This fellow hydro/led newbie is enjoying your journal, and just subscribed. :)

Congrats on your progress and adventure. A couple of questions:

What's the model of your pump, and how noisy is it, if you can quantify it? I have an Active Aqua watermelon style pump, the largest of the silent types, but it is only 25LMP=400GPH. I'd like something with more flow, if it isn't too loud.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post a photo of your roots? Just curious. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Congrats and best wishes,

Happy

Hi Premed,

This fellow hydro/led newbie is enjoying your journal, and just subscribed. :)

Congrats on your progress and adventure. A couple of questions:

What's the model of your pump, and how noisy is it, if you can quantify it? I have an Active Aqua watermelon style pump, the largest of the silent types, but it is only 25LMP=400GPH. I'd like something with more flow, if it isn't too loud.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post a photo of your roots? Just curious. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Congrats and best wishes,

Happy

Hello Happy Jack,

Welcome to my 1st grow! I'm using Elemental Solutions Commercial O2 Pump (951gph) with a 6-way adapter. I would say it's about as noisy as a small fan in my grow room. You can reduce the amount of vibration/buzzing by placing it on something soft and absorbent. Mine is sitting on two microfiber cloths. I would be happy to take some photos of the roots when the lights come back on tonight!

Cheers,

Pre-Med

Heyoo! I'm about to bombard you all with a bunch of pictures. I decided to pull out the big guns today and use my DSLR camera to shoot. I had a little assistance from my bf who I'm also trying to get to join this site and learn with me! He took some really good pictures of the roots while I held the plants up.

Root Pictures 5/10 (Day 4 of Flower)

Nutes Question...

I'm now in my first week of bloom which has me really excited to see what my plants have in store for me. My "investors" have generously offered to purchase some supplements to make our yield and product much better. I've been looking at AN bud candy, bud igniter, and bud factor x as possible additions to my grow. Has anybody used these and recommend them? Or does anybody have some alternatives? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Nutes Question...

I'm now in my first week of bloom which has me really excited to see what my plants have in store for me. My "investors" have generously offered to purchase some supplements to make our yield and product much better. I've been looking at AN bud candy, bud igniter, and bud factor x as possible additions to my grow. Has anybody used these and recommend them? Or does anybody have some alternatives? Thanks!

I wouldn't use any of those.
Since this is your first grow, the number 1 focus is keeping those roots healthy.
Number 2 should be not over feeding and number 3 would be don't get any nute deficiencies.
I don't want to promote any names but I recommend root accelerators, silica...

If you want to buy more stuff for your hobby, get a chiller if your res is warm.

I LOVE HYDRO! !!!! You are going through the same growing pains I did last year when I first started a DWC. I since moved on to ebb and flow.

I will be watching and good luck
You're at the right place where lots of people grow with hydro.

V:bongrip:

Thanks for the tips, V! I heard chillers aren't a good method if you're using individual DWC buckets as it can get pricey. What ebb and flow system are you using or did you make it yourself? Most of the systems I've seen are quite pricey but they do look awesome!

Thanks for joining and enjoy the show :).

Yea I'm all about DIY because I have a background in engineering.

I believe in proofing a design before making a business investment.

I started a thread for my Ebb and Flow and will invite you once it is working. Just set it up 2 days ago and roots are establishing.

Stand alone bucket, no chiller then but a 16 ounce frozen bottle of water a few hours after lights on might be dandy.
It depends on your res temps. I'd stay below 23C water temp in Flower but don't add any ice if you're already at a temp like 18C for example.

As far as an additives go i havent noticed much difference with ignitor than without but i do like big bud and overdrive. I saw some pretty nice improvements with them. I also like flawless finish for my flush period. Just my opinion tho...

Yea I'm all about DIY because I have a background in engineering.

I believe in proofing a design before making a business investment.

I started a thread for my Ebb and Flow and will invite you once it is working. Just set it up 2 days ago and roots are establishing.

Stand alone bucket, no chiller then but a 16 ounce frozen bottle of water a few hours after lights on might be dandy.
It depends on your res temps. I'd stay below 23C water temp in Flower but don't add any ice if you're already at a temp like 18C for example.

Oh neat! I can't wait to see what you've designed. I'm gonna put some bottles in the freezer pronto and keep them handy for tonight. I'm hoping they'll stay under 80 in their new area.

As far as an additives go i havent noticed much difference with ignitor than without but i do like big bud and overdrive. I saw some pretty nice improvements with them. I also like flawless finish for my flush period. Just my opinion tho...

I'm definitely thinking these might have to wait for my next grow but thanks for the notes. I like to hear what other people have to say :)

Also building on vlads 16oz frozen bottle thing, i bought individual dish tubs at a dollar store that i sit my buckets in, fill half full with water and put a frozen water bottle in each corner and wrap the whole thing in a blanket. Changing them out twice a day kept my water temps in the sweet spot.

Today was a nutrient change! I forgot to mention Week 8's nutrient schedule which happened to be Transition to Bloom as directed by GH plus my other supplements. Now we're in the early bloom phase so here is our recipe for this week.

Here's a pic of the grow room:
IMG_283812.jpg

Week 9 Nutrients
FloraMicro - 10mL per gallon
FloraGro - 5mL per gallon
FloraBloom - 15mL per gallon
SM-90 - 3mL per gallon
BioAg Ful-Power - 15mL per gallon
FloraBlend - 10mL per gallon
GH ArmorSi - 18ml per bucket
GH Floralicious Bloom - 10mL per gallon
GH Liquid KoolBloom - 10mL per gallon

Today was a nutrient change! I forgot to mention Week 8's nutrient schedule which happened to be Transition to Bloom as directed by GH plus my other supplements. Now we're in the early bloom phase so here is our recipe for this week.

Week 9 Nutrients
FloraMicro - 10mL per gallon
FloraGro - 5mL per gallon
FloraBloom - 15mL per gallon
SM-90 - 3mL per gallon
BioAg Ful-Power - 15mL per gallon
FloraBlend - 10mL per gallon
GH ArmorSi - 18ml per bucket
GH Floralicious Bloom - 10mL per gallon
GH Liquid KoolBloom - 10mL per gallon

Hey premedgrow

What EC / PPM and PH are you running when your nutrients are mixed? It seems like you might be running too many products, you really only need the Grow Micro Bloom at this stage.
and only Bloom and Micro if you ran the Lucas formula.

You can see detailed descriptions of what nutrients I am running in DWC if you think it will be of any help to you

Keep up the good work

GreenFingers

I started a Jah Kush seed last night using the Paper Plate Method. I found this seed in some weed I smoked a few weeks ago and it was pretty good so we'll what happens with this plant. I planted it in some organic soil mix I had in the garage and placed it under a CFL lamp in the office.
420-magazine-mobile1017960454.jpg

Hey premedgrow

What EC / PPM and PH are you running when your nutrients are mixed? It seems like you might be running too many products, you really only need the Grow Micro Bloom at this stage.
and only Bloom and Micro if you ran the Lucas formula.

You can see detailed descriptions of what nutrients I am running in DWC if you think it will be of any help to you

Keep up the good work

GreenFingers

Hi GreenFingers,

I tested my ppm to be about 1350ppm which I think is almost 2.0EC? That number includes the PPM that was in the water before adding anything to it...

I always forget to post ppm and pH lol. I always keep my pH between 5.8-6.0. I also got a water thermometer and it looks like the water temp is about 70F during lights on while the grow tent is about 68-70F during lights off and 77-80F during lights on. I've been keeping the humidity around 55%RH.

Best,

Pre-Med

There's a finished billiards room not being occupied as well as the storage room but there's no windows in either to exhaust out, plenty of room to simply exhaust tent into room though. Watcha think?

The only thing I would think would be an issue would be the reusing of the air you want exhausted. If I were to do that and do it what I think would be the "best way" would be carbon filter on intake and exhaust [so 2 total] and also supplement Co2. You want to try to get fresh air but if you can't get it, make it!

Back
Top Bottom