Relaxed's Outdoor Medical Grow - 2013

Mulch, like Smoke2Js said is the best! (But Its a good home for extra insects and fungus sometimes), you can find different artificial covers, to provide shelter from the sun and quick evaporation! If they are black, sometimes painting them white reflects some light as well. Its funny how the sun is blazing over there, and its hiding all the time in here :( send me someee!

Have you ever heard about/looked into crystals that have a particular function, polyacrilamide, aka "Soil Moist Granules" in the stores. I used them last year for my 7-8 foot OG I had inland, temps were 100 everyday for 2 months, I had to go out of town, it was this or plant death.
If you haven't heard of them, they store water moisture, and when the surrounding environment dries out, they release their water and very nicely extend the time needed to water, and provdes extra insurance against a complete dry out. Solid as a rock when dried, but turns to a gel once becomes hydrated. Do you use this? If not, it may be worth checkin out

You reminded me of something, Les. I remember reading about polymer crystals in Jorge's Guerrilla book to prolong time between watering. When people don't have clay soil to act like a water preservation bowl around amended soil in ground planting, or gone for a long time like you stated, they would be great to try. I find myself watering twice a week in high 90's weather North of you. I saw a Jack rabbit the other day about fifty feet from one of my grows surrounded by hog wire. Time to break out the Liquid Fence.

Okay guys time for an early photo update.
Update510_00813.jpg
Update510_00912.jpg
Update510_01011.jpg
Update510_01110.jpg
Update510_0128.jpg
Update510_0146.jpg
Update510_0153.jpg
Update510_0163.jpg
Update510_0173.jpg
Update510_0182.jpg
Update510_0192.jpg
Update510_0202.jpg
Update510_0212.jpg
Update510_0222.jpg
Update510_0231.jpg

Cheers!:cheer:

Beautiful plants. I like your philosophy; stick with what works, especially if it leans towards less intervention. Put a random seed in the ground a couple of weeks back and its doing great so far soaking up these long Southern California days. Being near the coast has kept the temps moderate overall. Have the temperatures been moderate for you or has the heat been a factor?

Beautiful plants. I like your philosophy; stick with what works, especially if it leans towards less intervention. Put a random seed in the ground a couple of weeks back and its doing great so far soaking up these long Southern California days. Being near the coast has kept the temps moderate overall. Have the temperatures been moderate for you or has the heat been a factor?

Thank you Munki! Glad to get you aboard, yeah, I'm about 400 yards from the continental shelf of the ocean, so I'd say we have had the oceanic cooling effect, compared to the general outdoor inland growers :)

Although, with the tent material I have, it keeps temperatures up, I'm hoping it doesn't induce stretching, I like to flower soon, but that's because I like to see flowers... I open the sides of the tent for vacuum during the day, and keeps warm during the night.

So far so good...

:peacetwo:

They are great for a gorilla grow where you can't go back often to water. presoak them with nutes for a start. each granule swells from a bb size to a marble size. works pretty good
Have you ever heard about/looked into crystals that have a particular function, polyacrilamide, aka "Soil Moist Granules" in the stores. I used them last year for my 7-8 foot OG I had inland, temps were 100 everyday for 2 months, I had to go out of town, it was this or plant death.
If you haven't heard of them, they store water moisture, and when the surrounding environment dries out, they release their water and very nicely extend the time needed to water, and provdes extra insurance against a complete dry out. Solid as a rock when dried, but turns to a gel once becomes hydrated. Do you use this? If not, it may be worth checkin out

Once again, nice pics.

Your black cat looks just like my girl's.

Enough of the crazy kitty psycho-babble.

+Reps for those beautiful ocean breeze kissed sensis.

Is your girl's cat crazy too? We had the front door open one day for air flow into the house, and this cat just walked on in and said Hello! We set her loose in the backyard and since then, she's been controlling the area. She won't roam far, she knows her job is to protect the garden :Namaste: We named her "Fang" because she likes to give strong love bites, and play rough. I give her a daily dose of high quality organic catnip every morning. She really demands her medicine nowadays, sometimes 2-3 times a day I have to give her a nice pile of herbs to lick up and roll around in.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback again partner, I'm happy with things, and I think the purps need some more time, I'm seeing some nice extra added growth, so I will see how long I can let her go. May possibly chop it Sunday..
Temperatures finally cooled off nicely too :high-five:

They are great for a gorilla grow where you can't go back often to water. presoak them with nutes for a start. each granule swells from a bb size to a marble size. works pretty good

Yeah, the expansion/contraction of the crystals helps aerate the soil as well, so that plus mulch - OG / MadMike should be able to get a handle on this watering issue. Then again... mulch may be the safer option for them, as NorCal weather is variable with cold fronts etc. Down in SoCal though, once the 100's start, its hard for them to stop! Wouldn't want to have over-watered ladies come the rains... Good Idea with the mulch S2J's.

Cheers and Happy Independence Day!!

Hahaha, such a nice pet. :) happy days bro, amazing bud, cant wait for some smoke report... if you ever make it back!

Had to share the news. I've been lazy/busy lately and haven't been able to keep up with thorough manual inspections of the budding (purple) plant. Was looking at it today and noticed a dead leaf sticking out of a dense nug, it came right out immediately, I knew it was budrot. So after a more thorough inspection for what was rotted (mold), I found that 2-3 of the nicest, biggest, top colas pretty much completely rotted from the insides. Turns out I didn't think about the high humidity, and the density of the nugs...Looks like I lost about 7-10 grams (if it were to dry) of the best looking nugs, Oh well... Not all great things last forever right? So I decided to Trim 'n Chop immediately on site, spent the last 2-3 hours trimming in what I call a salvage/recovery situation.

The Rotted Buds, into the trash they go...
Update510_00815.jpg
Update510_00914.jpg
Update510_01013.jpg
Update510_01112.jpg

The Salvage and Recovery Piles
Update510_0129.jpg
Update510_0138.jpg
Update510_0147.jpg

I am still happy with that I've got, I'm not going to beat myself up over this mold, it's really nothing out of the ordinary considering my proximity to the ocean front + high humidity lately.

Some trimmed bud shots and the trimmings for the hash
Update510_0154.jpg
Update510_0164.jpg
Update510_0174.jpg
Update510_0183.jpg

So time to put my love and energy into the other plants...:Namaste:

Dam Lester that sucks. :thedoubletake: I had bud rot last fall and it definitely heart sinking feeling. Glad you found it and are taking action. the rest of the buds look very yummy. :circle-of-love:

wow ,I had the same find today on mine. one brown leaf that pulled right out easy... Mine on lower branch and I had not done any lollipop cutting, so I did it now. think I got it all

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes guys, and Bozzo, yeah I saw that you found that at same time as me, very coincidental, I'm glad we took appropriate action. In my case, it was nearly impossible to notice the rotting, the buds looked dense,lush, and no sign of damage, until I saw that one random leaf, and then the infected leaves pull right out. Same scenario with Corn-Borers since they induce the rot. Luckily I found no borers, only rot... too bad it was the biggest/best/most purple nugs.

I'm happy with what I was able to get though, plus the fact these are just sample plants for what's to come :)
Hopefully I can pull some nice OG out too, we'll see when the big bloom comes, thats when it will be most interesting in terms of inspections,etc... Mother nature always has a plan....

Mold had to love that plant, looked so dense!! Im so sorry for those grams, but im sure the rest will make up for it!!! lovely nugs, and may her soul rest in peace, or reincarnate in one of my future plants. Irie :ganjamon:

Mold had to love that plant, looked so dense!! Im so sorry for those grams, but im sure the rest will make up for it!!! lovely nugs, and may her soul rest in peace, or reincarnate in one of my future plants. Irie :ganjamon:

It's all good, it comes with the outdoor package I suppose! Thank you for the love and support :)
:thanks::Namaste::allgood:

sorry to hear about the bud rot
the nugs you have left look awesome tho :thumb:

Cronic, thank you for the positive vibrations brother!! and welcome aboard. Just in time for some popcorn :popcorn::ganjamon::allgood:

Back
Top Bottom