Good Mornin’ All! Day 155 i decided to do a staggered harvest because im pretty impressed with the popcorn seedy buds i tested :hug: cut a few branches last night have them spread out on a drying rack with a fan on it
IMG_2162.jpeg
heres what i have left on her
IMG_2166.jpeg
hopefully theyll swell up a little more and pump out more trichs

Excellent choices on nutrients, someone's been doing their homework! Are you going the 1 part route with their "Tap formula" or doing the traditional with 5-12-26, Calcium nitrate 15-0-0 and Epsom in 3-2-1 ratio?

Either way Jacks is very clean and pH stable so you have a great start going that route. Then you have pH buffers and non-essential macros like Silicon and Cobalt and tertiary nutrients like Chlorine may be beneficial depending on growing method. Many brand dont include Silicon or Cobalt in their formulas, Silicon is especially beneficial in hydro with both pH stabilizing and gives the plant stronger stems and better nutrient transportation channels.

All the best of luck in your endeavours!

Edit OT: I use Megacrop 2part, a copy of Jacss 5-12-26, Calcium nitrate 15,5-0-0 and Epsom in 3-2-1 ratio.

Cheers!
How do you manage feeding strength considering no runoff and how many times a week? Should this way of growing with synthetic nutes be treated as DWC feeding? And do you ever have salt build up in the reservoir? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help!

How do you manage feeding strength considering no runoff and how many times a week? Should this way of growing with synthetic nutes be treated as DWC feeding? And do you ever have salt build up in the reservoir? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help!
I don't grow in SIP's. The closest I've come to running SIPs is running a Aerflo system. Coir bed on top and DWC reservoir in the bottom. Ideally I would like to have an access point to take pH and EC measures and oversize the reservoir if I were to setup a SIP running salts.

I see very little reason to run SIP's indoors with access to power, regular automation with pumps and feed tubes wins the race indoors compared to a passive system like SIP.

Cheers!

I don't grow in SIP's. The closest I've come to running SIPs is running a Aerflo system. Coir bed on top and DWC reservoir in the bottom. Ideally I would like to have an access point to take pH and EC measures and oversize the reservoir if I were to setup a SIP running salts.

I see very little reason to run SIP's indoors with access to power, regular automation with pumps and feed tubes wins the race indoors compared to a passive system like SIP.

Cheers!
For sure I’m in the automated irrigation camp but SIPs fit the bill for loads of homegrowers without the space, time, and loot cakes (😂) organise that! Its a great starting point for grows or just works fuss free enough then you roll with it! You agree, eh?

Cheers!
I see! My main concern with automation is it fails not if but when. SIPs prevent me from flooding my tent, it’s why I’ve gone that route over automated systems. You could technically put the SIPs on an irrigation/reservoir just like autopots.

For sure I’m in the automated irrigation camp but SIPs fit the bill for loads of homegrowers without the space, time, and loot cakes (😂) organise that! Its a great starting point for grows or just works fuss free enough then you roll with it! You agree, eh?
Yes, they grow plants and they're easy to operate. I'm not sure I agree it's a great starting point for new growers starting out though? I thinks it's better to learn to feed and water properly by hand starting out and SIP's remove most of that variable.

They are best suited for slow released organic nutrients if you want to keep the "ease of use" of it. That can be really hard for a new grower to grasp with all the different release rates and you have to learn about different bacteria cultures and enzymes for breaking them down. You could follow a recipe for mixing amendments or buy a premade mix and adjust as you go along but you loose a lot of control and room for adjustments running SIPs compared to regular containers with super soil IMO.

Cheers!

I see! My main concern with automation is it fails not if but when. SIPs prevent me from flooding my tent, it’s why I’ve gone that route over automated systems. You could technically put the SIPs on an irrigation/reservoir just like autopots.
Having a runoff tray bigger than the reservoir size fixes that! There's just as many rooms for errors with clogged lines etc with SIPs an passive systems and I believe there's no fool proof system ever created, all of them need service and an operator.

Ideally you should check the grow daily and most plants can survive for 12 hours without irrigation.

Cheers!

Yes, they grow plants and they're easy to operate. I'm not sure I agree it's a great starting point for new growers starting out though? I thinks it's better to learn to feed and water properly by hand starting out and SIP's remove most of that variable.

They are best suited for slow released organic nutrients if you want to keep the "ease of use" of it. That can be really hard for a new grower to grasp with all the different release rates and you have to learn about different bacteria cultures and enzymes for breaking them down. You could follow a recipe for mixing amendments or buy a premade mix and adjust as you go along but you loose a lot of control and room for adjustments running SIPs compared to regular containers with super soil IMO.

Cheers!
I’m mixing my second attempt at a pure organic SIP in soil on Sunday. As you might guess, I read a bunch of stuff, bought the best super soil I could find locally and every amendment I’d read about (focus on Cal for me) Gonna though it all together and restart my outdoor SIP.

Its so complicated compared to hydro 😂

- I take your point on eyes on. I could automate over wifi my system in an hour but I never would.

But for a weekend away or something SIPs aren’t going to flood your home.

As a (re)New(ed) grower starting back up after 10+ years of not growing, I can say SIPs so far have been very easy for me. I have a job that requires out of town trips and even last minute emergency trips, and SIP growing gives me the freedom to leave on a whim. I used soil amended with Gaia Green(all purpose and bloom), worm castings and Dynomyco. Now that the plants have hit the res it's just refilling when dry and top feeding every 2 weeks. It may not be the fastest growing plants but the ease of it is perfect for me and I would recommend it to anyone who's considering it. To be clear I haven't completed a full grow with the SIPs yet but I'm on cruise control in Veg and figure it should stay that way through flower.

As a (re)New(ed) grower starting back up after 10+ years of not growing, I can say SIPs so far have been very easy for me.
Yep get you. It is possible to kill them by neglect - don’t trust me, trust Azi and Shed, amongst others. They watched me do it 🤣

But they take a long time doing it!

Good morning and Happy New Year my friends 💚..
It's been a minute since I've been here but I had a little trouble with trying to get a SIP going, but I do believe this one is going to make it..
Saturday 12/30/23 this little Trailer Trash made it to the end of week 7 above the surface and so far so good.
I've never claimed to be a professional or even a novice but I have always said that I refuse to give you.. Failure is not an option it's a lesson.
Anyway I just wanted to say
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL AND THANK YOU FOR SUCH A WONDERFUL GROUP OF PEOPLE.

IMG_20240101_050426.jpg

IMG_20240101_050447.jpg

That's indeed pretty sweet!

I've got a new set sipping, Apple fritter & two Pink Rozay's got them in before NYE and the husks are just peeping above ground on the 2nd.
The pots are pre-fertilised with Bionova time released pellets.
Just add water, haven't done this indoor yet, only outdoor... gonna be an experiment as there's basically no control whatsoever, the plant has to sort it all out.. fingers crossed.
IMG_1704193344917.JPEG

Nice setup BB and the plants looks good hope it holds out for you , what brand of pot is it ? Fingers crossed here to FB :yummy:
The SIP is one of the two I made from shipping totes and it seems to be doing what it's supposed to be doing fingers crossed.
The other one is just an auto in a bag that I'm playing with.

Back
Top Bottom