SIP - Pity Do Dah, SIP - Pity A

Hi Buds. I would think that its about 4 gallons. The pot inside is a two gallon that my 2 present veg plants are in.
PXL_20220915_165829872.jpg

These polygon sides are 7 inches a side.
The two that are flowering have 8 inch sides which I found to large for my 2 and 1/2 by 3 and 1/2 foot space
I
IMG_20220914_1week 8.jpg

My concern is that once I install the 1/4 inch chicken wire , tubings and gravel or perlite, then BILL284 soil method, there will be about 2 inches of soil and half inch of gravel or perlite. So my big question is;
Will I need to top feed untill the roots grow past the soil, gravel, chichen wire and the 1 inch air gap until there is enough root growth to feed for itself at the bottom 3 inches of water?
Thanks for asking, cheers!
Lol. I guess the pics fooled me. I figured they were about 20 gallon.

Love the hanger branch support idea. :thumb:
Thanks, Shed. They were started in ignorance. Didn't get half of the nummies like I have now. Bokashi, frass, dynomyco and worm castings. Even though I added @Azimuth Dandy-lion tea and potassium silicate as @Bill284 advised, t'was too little too late. Branched were as weak as a loose hand-shake.
Phase ll of my perpetual grow seem a little more promising though. Have Bill's method, Azi's organic teachings and his endorsement of the SIP's.

300 pages pshaw! :laugh: :rofl:

Cheers!

Even though I added @Azimuth Dandy-lion tea and potassium silicate as @Bill284 advised, t'was too little too late. Branched were as weak as a loose hand-shake.
I add 50ppm of pure monosilicic acid (Si) all through veg and 30ppm in flower (way more then anyone running most nutes uses) and my Trainwreck doesn't have a single upright stem!

One of the branches even supercropped itself from the unsupported weight. So don't blame yourself for the flop in your plants! :)

No. If you built it right it'll make the soil wet overnight from the rez. Water-in a sm. seedling transplant as you normally would to settle it, then let it be. It needs to grow a taproot down to the wettest level, watering from above will periodically confuse which direction that is, Most important time not to water from above is the first week or two. Mine always look bone dry at the top, but it's only top 1 centimetre, scrape away 1 cm and it's moist and getting wetter every inch down. You can add liquids from top after its established just remember that the root system is adapted to a moisture-down below scenario and you don't want to change this. Also if you use fish ferts or the like, try to not let it seep into rez. Recommend dry organic ferts. I'm running mineral-salts fertigation with peat/perlite for canna. Avoid too much compost. Also critical: Make sure to add 40%, by volume, aeration, like perlite to your soil. Any soil. Not a layer on the bottom, just mixed evenly through the soil. Capillary wicking has a hard time overcoming layers of materials even when each layer is a good wicking medium. Its a hydrological physics thing that another day is knowledge that can be used to your advantage in SIPs, but in the planting matrix, for 1st time, make it as homogenous as possible.

I like it dry at top for bug reasons. You can mulch heavily to retain moisture all the way to top 1 cm if you like, or plant a sm cover crop like clover or some nitrogen-fixing plants like that. I personally do not even outdoors, where my 27gal/100L storage tote SIPs produced 200 tomatoes each (2 plants), for a total of 2k tomatoes last year, and I called it quits long before the plants wanted to. It was stupid how many freekin' tomatoes there were, I had to buy another freezer and I still have 20% of them in there after giving a lot away. Pics of my design are on my current journal. You'll see my canna SIPs I use burlap as 'mulch', but its mostly for neatness, I like the dry 1 cm at top for fungus gnats issues.

Hey @el gringuito :ciao: hope everything goes well with the move and the new garden.
Can't wait to see that new journal. :thumb:
Thanks, Bill! I hope you get your weather straightened out!! Are you summer or winter today? Haha.
I mentioned in my thread I'll answer questions as you go.

Just hit reply at the bottom of the post you have a question in.
I'll be able to see what you asking about.
Do that through the whole thing if you want PLEASE .
Wow. That is a super-B help!
Fabuloso, amigo!
(Maybe if I have a few more hits, that will seem correctly conjugated, haha.)
I used pictures to make things easier to understand.

But I already knew it.
So I may not have explained every part completely!
If you have a question others might aswell.
So asking me will help everyone.
That is really super-great! Thank you very much! I will take you at your word.
This easy-to-use technique should be used by all new growers.

It's almost impossible to overwater.
You get HUGE HEALTHY PLANTS.
And it works in any type pot.
And you can adapt any part of it into your grow to improve thing's.
The illustrations and the captions are excellent!
Yes, it is very easy to follow.
It is a great blessing to be able to ask questions!
I will try to incorporate what I can.
I put a lot of work into making it a start to finish how to grow journal.

That way anyone with a package of seeds can go start to finish with everything explained to them in pictures.
At the end I'll consolidate the Highlights and make a complete Bill284 Method How to thread all by its self.
That way you won't have to sift through 2 or 300 hundred pages.:rofl:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :hookah::hookah:
Ok my friend I'll talk to you when your ready. :thanks:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:
Great!
I am in a different city today. The new rooftop grow space is maybe 6 meters long, and maybe 4 meters wide. And I can make a second one, if I run out of space.
I saw max dandelions on the way, and some horsetails!! (And they are not reported in this country!! So it seems like a very blessed trip already).
Probably the move is in 3 weeks. And in the meantime I can plan.
It might be Sunday or Monday before I can catch up again. We will see.
Thank you and everyone in 420 for being such a helpful and loving community! You are all a blessing!

No. If you built it right it'll make the soil wet overnight from the rez. Water-in a sm. seedling transplant as you normally would to settle it, then let it be. It needs to grow a taproot down to the wettest level, watering from above will periodically confuse which direction that is, Most important time not to water from above is the first week or two.
RD, that is very interesting. Thank you!
Mine always look bone dry at the top, but it's only top 1 centimetre, scrape away 1 cm and it's moist and getting wetter every inch down.
Sí.
You can add liquids from top after its established just remember that the root system is adapted to a moisture-down below scenario and you don't want to change this. Also if you use fish ferts or the like, try to not let it seep into rez. Recommend dry organic ferts. I'm running mineral-salts fertigation with peat/perlite for canna. Avoid too much compost.
Umm....
Could you please define, "too much compost"?
Thanks.
Also critical: Make sure to add 40%, by volume, aeration, like perlite to your soil. Any soil. Not a layer on the bottom, just mixed evenly through the soil. Capillary wicking has a hard time overcoming layers of materials even when each layer is a good wicking medium. Its a hydrological physics thing that another day is knowledge that can be used to your advantage in SIPs, but in the planting matrix, for 1st time, make it as homogenous as possible.
Ok.
But then to what referrest thou in thine top line?
>> "No. If you built it right it'll make the soil wet overnight from the rez."
If there were parfait layers, might it make it not too wet overnight from the rez?
I like it dry at top for bug reasons.
Makes sense.
Thanks.
You can mulch heavily to retain moisture all the way to top 1 cm if you like, or plant a sm cover crop like clover or some nitrogen-fixing plants like that. I personally do not even outdoors, where my 27gal/100L storage tote SIPs produced 200 tomatoes each (2 plants), for a total of 2k tomatoes last year, and I called it quits long before the plants wanted to. It was stupid how many freekin' tomatoes there were, I had to buy another freezer and I still have 20% of them in there after giving a lot away.
Hahahaha!
Good story!
It is kind of like with zucchini. You lock your car doors at the end of summer, so people don't give you too many...
Pics of my design are on my current journal. You'll see my canna SIPs I use burlap as 'mulch', but its mostly for neatness, I like the dry 1 cm at top for fungus gnats issues.
Thanks!
Got to run. Back in a few days.

whoops sorry, miss-post. Second one today too *sigh*
Hey RD, Now that most of my plants are emptying their res. daily do you think it would hurt any not to fill the res for a day or two? I'm going to have to take my dad home from the hospital either today or tomorrow (I think) & he lives about 300 miles away. They transferred him from a local hospital where he lives all the way over by me in Phoenix & I'm his only way home.
I'm hoping the soil will stay moist enough not to cause issues. I'll probably spend the night & drive back the next day as 4-5 hours one way will tire me out.

Anyway, I was planning to flip to 12/12 tomorrow. It may end up being Sunday now because of the trip. The way these plants look now I think they could end up even bigger than the last one. Damned, they grow so fast !

I'll get pics & updates as soon as I get back. Even the 2 Aurora's have taken off now.

Thanks, Bill! I hope you get your weather straightened out!! Are you summer or winter today? Haha.

Wow. That is a super-B help!
Fabuloso, amigo!
(Maybe if I have a few more hits, that will seem correctly conjugated, haha.)

That is really super-great! Thank you very much! I will take you at your word.

The illustrations and the captions are excellent!
Yes, it is very easy to follow.
It is a great blessing to be able to ask questions!
I will try to incorporate what I can.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :hookah::hookah:

Great!
I am in a different city today. The new rooftop grow space is maybe 6 meters long, and maybe 4 meters wide. And I can make a second one, if I run out of space.
I saw max dandelions on the way, and some horsetails!! (And they are not reported in this country!! So it seems like a very blessed trip already).
Probably the move is in 3 weeks. And in the meantime I can plan.
It might be Sunday or Monday before I can catch up again. We will see.
Thank you and everyone in 420 for being such a helpful and loving community! You are all a blessing!
I'm happy you haven't started asking questions yet, I'm a couple hundred messages behind.
Been cleaning out the larf and extra matter from the girls, I'm exhausted.
But looks like fall came yesterday, so winter will star Saturday. :rofl:
Cold today again, yeiks.
Get settled in and I'm here when you need anything.
Hope you have a great day. :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

do you think it would hurt any not to fill the res for a day or two? I'm going to have to take my dad home from the hospital
I think you're about right to diagnose both your physical safety and that of your plants as immaterial practically speaking in this case.

Oh, whoops, you asked about the SIP. OK, um 5 gal, not a 4 masquerading? What is your soil makeup and how new? What did you recharge with if used? Aeration? How much water is rez, you say a quart, or two? How new is your house? And lastly, even though to this one I know the answer, do you have accurate meas. level of your reservoir, easily?
I hope your dad's okay. Drive safely!
Take heed of The Shed here and I don't think you can go wrong.

I think you're about right to diagnose both your physical safety and that of your plants as immaterial practically speaking in this case.

Oh, whoops, you asked about the SIP. OK, um 5 gal, not a 4 masquerading? What is your soil makeup and how new? What did you recharge with if used? Aeration? How much water is rez, you say a quart, or two? How new is your house? And lastly, even though to this one I know the answer, do you have accurate meas. level of your reservoir, easily?

Take heed of The Shed here and I don't think you can go wrong.
I'm using FFOF (nothing added) & new from the bag. I'm using MC, Silica & Nitrogen @ 5 gr. per gal. (MC Nute Calculations per InTheShed). Didn't add any Perlite or anything for Aeration. Didn't on my last grow either. I believe the res. holds close to 1 gallon (4 liters). The plants are in my shed & it's old as it gets. But I totally redid it. New siding outside. 3" insulation on all inside walls & ceiling before putting up the inside 4x8 white bath wall boards. Covered that with 600 D Mylar. Ran all the electric myself to a 50 Amp breaker / pullout at the pedestal (power source that feeds the house & the shed. Shed has it's own breaker box. The res. I go by the float or I may as well say, I fill it till it comes out the drain hole.

Just filled the res on all the plants. All were bone dry except for the SoHum which was about 3/4 empty. She is drinking more, but not as much as the MC plants.
I took pics that I'll post as soon as possible. They are about 2' wide & 2' tall, maybe even bigger on some. I went ahead & changed my Timers over to 12/12 this morning.
"FLOWERING / Day 1: 9-16-22
For my reference.

I'm using FFOF (nothing added) & new from the bag. I'm using MC, Silica & Nitrogen @ 5 gr. per gal. (MC Nute Calculations per InTheShed). Didn't add any Perlite or anything for Aeration. Didn't on my last grow either. I believe the res. holds close to 1 gallon (4 liters). The plants are in my shed & it's old as it gets. But I totally redid it. New siding outside. 3" insulation on all inside walls & ceiling before putting up the inside 4x8 white bath wall boards. Covered that with 600 D Mylar. Ran all the electric myself to a 50 Amp breaker / pullout at the pedestal (power source that feeds the house & the shed. Shed has it's own breaker box. The res. I go by the float or I may as well say, I fill it till it comes out the drain hole.
I thought I'd ask a couple of interesting questions given the opportunity. I hope you didn't mind. They really were what sprang to mind. So you want to know if plants will be okay if you miss two waterings. Meanwhile, you're being pressed to flower by the plant size so you don't want to get any bigger overall. I'm sorry, honestly, I can't speak to the flowering decision. I do believe however that the plants will not be set back from their current trajectory under the current treatment if you miss two waterings, but not 3. I mean, I doubt that draught would be programmed into many plants' genes as something that will take place at the start of their reproductive cycle, but I could be wrong. I suppose in the end it all weighs on just how big a threat to your final harvest is a catastrophically oversized plant?

Hey RD, Now that most of my plants are emptying their res. daily do you think it would hurt any not to fill the res for a day or two?
I've found on my plants that letting the rez go dry for a day or so encourages more root growth, much like in soil. With constant water the roots don't have to grow much, but when the rez goes dry they grow looking for more. My veg plants are in 1L clear 'take-out' containers so I can see the interaction of the soil, roots, air gap, and water.

But I'm with RezDog on the amount of time to let them go. I don't like to go more than one or two days at most without a refill. And, when I fertigate from above, the plants don't seem to use much of the rez the next day so that might be a strategy you could use to extend the period by a day to deal with your father.

Back
Top Bottom