SIP - Pity Do Dah, SIP - Pity A

I think that would work fine. Really anything like that or clay balls, maybe smallish river rock, etc. Perlite does have some wicking ability as the Hempy crowd will tell you, so it should work fine.

And, the perlite would not be in the air gap except for the section that bridges the water and soil. The gap itself is just that, a gap.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I think that would work fine. Really anything like that or clay balls, maybe smallish river rock, etc. Perlite does have some wicking ability as the Hempy crowd will tell you, so it should work fine.

And, the perlite would not be in the air gap except for the section that bridges the water and soil. The gap itself is just that, a gap.
With the buckets the size of the air gap is determined by how high the drain hole is. The drain hole is lower than the top of the insert / bowl / whatever you want to call it... so that creates the air gap. I went with the 3.5" in the directions of course. Thing is, with that big girl there was no drain hole & I was able to fill the res with about 50% more feed. I wont jump to any conclusions until this grow is over & see how things turn out. I may have to do a test run with one of each to compare.

The Window AC in my Shed doesn't seem to be working right...all the time. I'm planning to replace it with my Portable AC. Hopefully, I'll have time tomorrow. If not, next weekend for sure. The portable will take up a little floor space as it will sit right where the window AC is now. For that reason I figured I needed to change my lighting around to better suit the plants needs. Right now I'm running 1 - 150 watt light per plant. So 6 plants with a light over each one. My Shed tends to get High Humidity. That's fine in Veg, but not for Flower. I didn't have an Exhaust Fan out there so I installed a 6" Active Air Fan with A 6" Carbon Filter yesterday. I have it plugged into a Humidity Controller so it only turns on if the RH exceeds 65% right now. I have a dehumidifier, but it puts out a lot of hot air; so trying not to use it if possible.

I also up-potted the 2 "Aurora Indica" girls yesterday. I figured now that they're all in their SIP Buckets it was time for this journal. Spare you all the slow, boring, beginning.

The girls all up-potted to the buckets. Purple Buckets for Aurora & Black ones for Cherry On Top.
20.JPG
21.JPG
22.JPG
23.JPG
24.JPG

My Fan & Filter Set-Up.
25.JPG

And here is how my lights are set up now.
26.JPG
27.JPG
28.JPG

And this brings us up to date to where we are right now.
Hi Buddy!
Girls are looking great!
Where did you get the 3-pack? I could only find a 10-pack and my indoor space only has room for two. @Azimuth was kind enough to share the link.

Cheers, bro! Happy growing.

With the buckets the size of the air gap is determined by how high the drain hole is. The drain hole is lower than the top of the insert / bowl / whatever you want to call it... so that creates the air gap. I went with the 3.5" in the directions of course. Thing is, with that big girl there was no drain hole & I was able to fill the res with about 50% more feed. I wont jump to any conclusions until this grow is over & see how things turn out. I may have to do a test run with one of each to compare.
Hmmm!!!!!!
So, no air gap in that one??????

Hi Buddy!
Girls are looking great!
Where did you get the 3-pack? I could only find a 10-pack and my indoor space only has room for two. @Azimuth was kind enough to share the link.

Cheers, bro! Happy growing.
The 3 packs were on A-zon for $49. I couldn't find the 10 pack when I ordered so I got the 3 packs.

Are these just for indoors plants or can they be used outdoors in a 5-gallon bucket? I use a much bigger pot, but I know a 5-gallon bucket can be used outdoors. (rain)
In AZ. I wouldn't do it outside in the summer because it stays around 110 - 120F for about 3 months straight. I'd have to fill the buckets 5-6 times per day even in the shade. But, @Krissi Carbone grows with similar buckets outdoors in N.Y. I believe. So I'd say that all depends on your environment. If it would stay 100F or less, I'd grow outside too.

In AZ. I wouldn't do it outside in the summer because it stays around 110 - 120F for about 3 months straight. I'd have to fill the buckets 5-6 times per day even in the shade. But, @Krissi Carbone grows with similar buckets outdoors in N.Y. I believe. So I'd say that all depends on your environment. If it would stay 100F or less, I'd grow outside too.
Gotta catch up here Buds but flipping through, everything is going amazing.

You have been a busy worker bee! Trim trim trim..lmk how you like the trimmer if you use it with the soon to be massive girls.

As for growing with these pots outdoors...

I'm in NJ, so close lol

I actually got the idea for using these because I used them outdoors in my regular garden first. I was so impressed with my veggies last spring, when I started my 1st cannabis grow in June, I said I have to try these.

So, yes, I don't see why these wouldn't work wonders outside for cannabis. In fact, I think it would help greatly with dry days outside because of the built in 'reservoir ', girls or boys, have a better general access and run off isn't wasted at all. More nutrients and more water as Buds noted, keeping temps up and having them feed more, makes bigger plants and bigger Buds. I'm convinced that these pots are the game changer for both outdoor and indoor cultivation.

Mine just keep getting bigger and I love seeing Bud's ladies get bigger and bigger. Wowza!

Gotta catch up here Buds but flipping through, everything is going amazing.

You have been a busy worker bee! Trim trim trim..lmk how you like the trimmer if you use it with the soon to be massive girls.

As for growing with these pots outdoors...

I'm in NJ, so close lol

I actually got the idea for using these because I used them outdoors in my regular garden first. I was so impressed with my veggies last spring, when I started my 1st cannabis grow in June, I said I have to try these.

So, yes, I don't see why these wouldn't work wonders outside for cannabis. In fact, I think it would help greatly with dry days outside because of the built in 'reservoir ', girls or boys, have a better general access and run off isn't wasted at all. More nutrients and more water as Buds noted, keeping temps up and having them feed more, makes bigger plants and bigger Buds. I'm convinced that these pots are the game changer for both outdoor and indoor cultivation.

Mine just keep getting bigger and I love seeing Bud's ladies get bigger and bigger. Wowza!
Ooo- oooo- 00000 ! Those look really sweet. Can't wait to try it.... lol.

Ooo- oooo- 00000 ! Those look really sweet. Can't wait to try it.... lol.
Poundage for sure on them-the way we sip-pity like em!!!

I got a pinkish purple wonder drying in my Cookies Haze right now I'd share my testers I have of her that are out drying in the grow room with you in a second!

Come on by after you're done trimming the 20# worth of plants you have coming and we will have a smoke party with the other two and make it a 3 for all!

Once the plant drank up some of the nutes in the bucket, I'm sure it got some air from the fill tube. But, I'm also sure there was no air gap when I first filled the buckets daily.
And the thing still grew like a crazy monster, even overwatered?????
So then what is the difference between a SIP that is flooded that grows like mad, and a non-SIP where you overwater the poor thing, and then it goes semi-dormant on you????
All that difference is in the air layer???
:thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake: :thedoubletake:

The 3 packs were on A-zon for $49. I couldn't find the 10 pack when I ordered so I got the 3 packs.
LOL. Amazon only had the ten-pack. Since I made my own sheet-metal pots for indoor, I figured I would try to make my own SIP. Made the water retainer at work. I will share my start up that I posted on my grow journal.

Cheers, bro!

Are you spraying with the Microbial Solution ?
Hi Azi! Thanks for asking and the answer is not sure.
I can' t get potatoe flakeds w/out garlic and I don't have brown rice, as you sugeested as a starch substitute.

If you are talking about dandy-tea, then yes. I just fell in love with that stuff. Made 4 clones, just need 2.

BTW. I started my own SIP's. Made the first water retainers today and it fit like a glove with my pots. Not easy with a polygon pot. Will show the start-up next thread but should have a full thread from start to finish come Sunday. I asked you a few questions about that on your thread and will look at it after I post.

IMG_20220914_104749_resized_20220914_113232283.jpg

IMG_20220914_133228.jpg

IMG_20220914..jpg

The ring in the middle is 1 inch higher then the 3 inch water level. I will screw/brace some 1/4" chicken wire and top a little more diagonally to cut the wire-space in half.

I can' t get potatoe flakeds w/out garlic and I don't have brown rice, as you sugeested as a starch substitute.

If you are talking about dandy-tea, then yes. I just fell in love with that stuff. Made 4 clones, just need 2.

BTW. I started my own SIP's. Made the first water retainers today and it fit like a glove with my pots. Not easy with a polygon pot. Will show the start-up next thread but should have a full thread from start to finish come Sunday. I asked you a few questions about that on your thread and will look at it after I post.

IMG_20220914_133228.jpg

IMG_20220914..jpg

The ring in the middle is 1 inch higher then the 3 inch water level. I will screw/brace some 1/4" chicken wire and top a little more diagonally to cut the wire-space in half.
About how many gallons is that pot ? Looks huge in the pic.

Thank you!
I think I saw @Bill284 doing parfait layers in his Solo cups and was intrigued.
I started reading everything, and thought I would hold questions until the end, but that won't work, as there was a lot I did not understand along the way.
We go tomorrow for the keys to my new temporary rental, but I will be planning the next greenhouse, and the next thread.
If I get time I will try to start asking Bill284 some questions.

IMG_20220914_133228.jpg

IMG_20220914..jpg

That is cool

Thank you!
I think I saw @Bill284 doing parfait layers in his Solo cups and was intrigued.
I started reading everything, and thought I would hold questions until the end, but that won't work, as there was a lot I did not understand along the way.
We go tomorrow for the keys to my new temporary rental, but I will be planning the next greenhouse, and the next thread.
If I get time I will try to start asking Bill284 some questions.
Hey @el gringuito :ciao: hope everything goes well with the move and the new garden.
Can't wait to see that new journal. :thumb:
I mentioned in my thread I'll answer questions as you go.
Just hit reply at the bottom of the post you have a question in.
I'll be able to see what you asking about.
Do that through the whole thing if you want PLEASE .
I used pictures to make things easier to understand.
But I already knew it.
So I may not have explained every part completely!
If you have a question others might aswell.
So asking me will help everyone.
This easy-to-use technique should be used by all new growers.
It's almost impossible to overwater.
You get HUGE HEALTHY PLANTS.
And it works in any type pot.
And you can adapt any part of it into your grow to improve thing's.
I put a lot of work into making it a start to finish how to grow journal.
That way anyone with a package of seeds can go start to finish with everything explained to them in pictures.
At the end I'll consolidate the Highlights and make a complete Bill284 Method How to thread all by its self.
That way you won't have to sift through 2 or 300 hundred pages.:rofl:
Ok my friend I'll talk to you when your ready. :thanks:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

About how many gallons is that pot ? Looks huge in the pic.
Hi Buds. I would think that its about 4 gallons. The pot inside is a two gallon that my 2 present veg plants are in.
PXL_20220915_165829872.jpg

These polygon sides are 7 inches a side.
The two that are flowering have 8 inch sides which I found to large for my 2 and 1/2 by 3 and 1/2 foot space
I
IMG_20220914_1week 8.jpg

My concern is that once I install the 1/4 inch chicken wire , tubings and gravel or perlite, then BILL284 soil method, there will be about 2 inches of soil and half inch of gravel or perlite. So my big question is;
Will I need to top feed untill the roots grow past the soil, gravel, chichen wire and the 1 inch air gap until there is enough root growth to feed for itself at the bottom 3 inches of water?
Thanks for asking, cheers!

Back
Top Bottom