SlyTown420's Perpetual Home Veg & Flower Tent Grow Journal: Join In Anytime!

Is this the real Alaskan Thunder Fuck?

• Yes

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
I've got these I've got these four-day-old seedlings under a very crappy light right now. As you can see in the photo, they keep reaching for the sky. I am assuming this is because of a lack of good light.

What do you think?

Is there is there anything I can do 2 keep them from legging around everywhere while I wait on some better lighting?
The light you have now isn't that horrible that it won't grow a decent plant I think. Put a gentil fan on them to make them strong, intermittent if possible but ok if not. Also you could put more soil in to build up around the main stalk. They look healthy to me today.

They look about right to me. You can try putting them closer to the crappy light, or in a south facing window (in the northern hemishpere).

Oh good... that is a relief. I just moved the light a little closer and I'll leave them outside for 6-8 hours once we hit 70 Fahrenheit this AM.

I'll pull up a chair. You're in great hands here. By the way, I read that roots shouldn't be exposed to any light so probably good you didn't have clear cups.

Glad to have you along. What I've seen is that those that use clear cups place them into solid cups and then just lift them out to monitor propagation of the root system.

Attachments

• insignia.png
    insignia.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 136
Friends served while I was working in computer consulting in the private sector but I wish I could go back in time and change my path. I love this country.
I don't know whether this genuinely came from the mouth of an American but I like to think it did. Ha ha. Love it.

Words of an American Soldier about our Army .... "Those Brits are a strange old race, they show affection by abusing each other, will think nothing of casually stopping in the middle of a fire fight for there "brew up" and eat food that I wouldn't give to a dying dog! but fuck me, I would rather have one British squaddie on side than a entire battalion of spetznaz!!!... Why? Because the British are the only people in the world who when the chips are down and there seems like no hope left, instead of getting sentimental or hysterical, will strap on there pack, charge there rifle, light up a smoke and calmly and wryly grin "well are we going then you wanker??"

I don't know whether this genuinely came from the mouth of an American but I like to think it did. Ha ha. Love it.

Words of an American Soldier about our Army .... "Those Brits are a strange old race, they show affection by abusing each other, will think nothing of casually stopping in the middle of a fire fight for there "brew up" and eat food that I wouldn't give to a dying dog! but fuck me, I would rather have one British squaddie on side than a entire battalion of spetznaz!!!... Why? Because the British are the only people in the world who when the chips are down and there seems like no hope left, instead of getting sentimental or hysterical, will strap on there pack, charge there rifle, light up a smoke and calmly and wryly grin "well are we going then you wanker??"

Sounds like the genuine article to me.... and its true from what I've heard. :high-five:

The seedlings were outside yesterday but temperatures today are too cool for that. I added more peat to the cups to bury the stretching stems and started adding Big Bloom from Fox Farms (100% organic) at 50% the recommended dosage (see chart in pictures).

Since I am still only with a crappy light, I've placed them in a window. This is day 5 and I am hoping the Big Bloom will help jump start some leaf growth.

There is tons of stuff in the mail or in the process of being ordered right now including:
  • MARS Hydro Epistar II 80
  • Grow Tent
  • FF Ocean Forest soil
  • Fabric pots & saucers
  • PH strips
  • 60x microscope
  • Temp/Humidity gauge
  • Intake/Exhaust
This is the first hobby I've had in years and I am having the time of my life!

Attachments

• 1439.jpg
    1439.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 138
  • big-bloom.jpg
    big-bloom.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 130
  • feeding-schedule.PNG
    feeding-schedule.PNG
    433 KB · Views: 129
I don't think you'll be satisfied with that light. Consider the Mars Pro II Epistar 80 400w LED Grow Light, or Mars COB 300W Waterproof No Noise. There is a current discount code for members. @SmokeSara is their representative here, and may be able to get you a better deal.
I agree with old salt, Mars hydro would be a much better light. I started off with a Mars 1200 in a 4x4 tent and I was well pleased with their light for the money ✌
You're going to really like the light.

I upgraded temporary lighting after realizing that I have a portable work light lying around here that while hot is damn better than a 40W desk lamp. The LUX at plant level is right around 7750. This is temporary and I think its okay but I am not sure.

Are these type of lights halogen? Do you think its okay to use for a week while I wait on a new MARS Pro Epistar II 80?
work-light.jpg
ghetto-rig.jpg
ghetto-rig.jpg

Hey SlyTown, welcome here! :)

Just a few things which that haven't been answered yet:
Is there any other equipment I should be considering?

I'm also on my first grow. What I did at the beginning, I browsed the whole menu with all the sub-menus of gardening/growing webshops. I made a list of every item that I may need throughout my grow. There were a lot of things which didn't pop out in my mind prior to that, only after I saw them in the growshop. Bamboo sticks for stabilizing taller plants, pipettes for easier dosing of nutes, tube connecting parts, specialized spray bottles, rope ratchet to hang the light easier, and much much more. ;)
You can then, of course, order them from where they are the cheapest, but a growshop is great for getting ideas, I believe.

I am not sure how much water the 3 gallon net pots will need and if they'll be running off into the tent. Are there plastic trays built for these size square net pots?

Yes, there are trays for mostly any size. Btw, while they are in smaller pots or cups, you can just buy a large tray (for like 1$), and put all of them on that one.

Check this review out of the MAXISUN M480

Good job on getting the Mars light.
I'm not trying to be a shithead, but people who start every word with a capital letter have some kind of a mental illness, I think.
And, as OldSalt already pointed out, it could have very likely been a paid review, I see these type of reviews on amazon and ebay from time to time.

Is there is there anything I can do 2 keep them from legging around everywhere while I wait on some better lighting?

Apart from adding more "homelight", you can try placing reflective material (preferably white) around them. I guess even just simple white paper taped on something would help a lot. But you should be getting your new light in any minute.:cool:

Do you think its okay to use for a week while I wait on a new MARS Pro Epistar II 80?
Just watch out for heat. Put you hand under the light for a few seconds, and the distance where you can barely feel any heat from the light will likely be fine four your seedlings too. Best is, of course, if you can check on them regularly. Move the light further, if you see any sign of burning or if they become a bit wonky (my first one did it).

Happy growing to you, I'll follow your journey! :green_heart:

Day Six Update:
The seedlings are enjoying the temporary 2x 500W halogen light and have beefed up a bit. All they were doing under my 40W crappy desk lamp was stretching. The other day I used a nail to poke holes in the sides and bottoms of each cup and this morning the peat had dried out much more than usual. I'm watering sparsely every 2-3 days and feeding 100% organic Fox Farm Big Bloom which has bat guano / worm castings according to their recommended schedule but I am dosing the plants at 25% of the standard.

day5-1.jpg
day5-2.jpg
day5-3.jpg
day5-4.jpg

I am watching things closely because those 500W halogen lights are an enormous heat source. Temperature at the plant level is perfect and so is LUX (7800). This is great, however, the peat is drying out WAY faster than under the 40W desk lamp so I am making sure that when the peat separates from the cup on the sides that it gets a drink.

Equipment Update:
I was very close to ordering everything Monday and paused after realizing that I would prefer a tent higher than 5 ft. Also, the LED I originally picked out was an el cheapo and 420 Mag Members pointed me in the direction of MARS Hydro. Now I am looking to purchase a 24x48x72 tent w/2 LED's. I'll pick them up at auction unless MARS has a significant 4/20 sale like we're all hoping.

Everything else is in the mail. Today and tomorrow I should get my Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil, fabric pots, saucers, digital temp/humidity gauge, and a 60x scope.

Help with Ventilation Please:
I have been looking at 4 and 6 inch intake/exhaust/carbon filter kits and could use a recommendation from someone who is familiar with these brands. I am sure some are total crap. If someone has a recommendation I would highly appreciate it.

Interestingly enough my relatives are coming out of the woodwork and asking about starting sunflowers! The bug has bitten me and I'm intoxicated. Growing things is just fun, plain and simple.

Enjoy your day ladies and gents!

Day 5 Update:
The seedlings are enjoying the temporary 2x 500W halogen light and have beefed up a bit. All they were doing under my 40W crappy desk lamp was stretching. The other day I used a nail to poke holes in the sides and bottoms of each cup and this morning the peat had dried out much more than usual. I'm watering sparsely every 2-3 days and feeding 100% organic Fox Farm Big Bloom which has bat guano / worm castings according to their recommended schedule but I am dosing the plants at 25% of the standard.

day5-1.jpg
day5-2.jpg
day5-3.jpg
day5-4.jpg

I am watching things closely because those 500W halogen lights are an enormous heat source. Temperature at the plant level is perfect and so is LUX (7800). This is great, however, the peat is drying out WAY faster than under the 40W desk lamp so I am making sure that when the peat separates from the cup on the sides that it gets a drink.

Equipment Update:
I was very close to ordering everything Monday and paused after realizing that I would prefer a tent higher than 5 ft. Also, the LED I originally picked out was an el cheapo and 420 Mag Members pointed me in the direction of MARS Hydro. Now I am looking to purchase a 24x48x72 tent w/2 LED's. I'll pick them up at auction unless MARS has a significant 4/20 sale like we're all hoping.

Everything else is in the mail. Today and tomorrow I should get my Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil, fabric pots, saucers, digital temp/humidity gauge, and a 60x scope.

Help with Ventilation Please:
I have been looking at 4 and 6 inch intake/exhaust/carbon filter kits and could use a recommendation from someone who is familiar with these brands. I am sure some are total crap. If someone has a recommendation I would highly appreciate it.

Interestingly enough my relatives are coming out of the woodwork and asking about starting sunflowers! The bug has bitten me and I'm intoxicated. Growing things is just fun, plain and simple.

Enjoy your day ladies and gents!
I’ve had this fan for six years now still purring along with a speed controller!
4EFC3F05-B1CD-4DA6-98EF-E57499A5AC86.jpeg

Day Six Update:

I have been driving myself mad researching all types of equipment and instead of the MARS Pro II Epistar 80, another brand of grow tent, and an exhaust/intake/carbon filter kit, I'm looking hard at this complete kit from Hydro Crunch.

Hydro-Crunch.PNG

Anyone here have experience with Hydro Crunch gear? The whole kit is damn near 50% off right now.

It says 8 of these can daisy chain that many of these LEDs . So a 20 amp recptacle at 80% load is 16 amps . So 2 amps at the wall at the most !
2 x120v= 240 true watts x 2 =480 watts if I’m right it’s not that bad !?

It says 8 of these can daisy chain that many of these LEDs . So a 20 amp recptacle at 80% load is 16 amps . So 2 amps at the wall at the most !
2 x120v= 240 true watts x 2 =480 watts if I’m right it’s not that bad !?

Sure looks that way to me...

Specifications (2 of these in the kit)
Hydro Crunch 300-Watt Equivalent LED Grow Light Full Spectrum is ideal for all kinds of indoor plants veg and flower at all growth stages. 3-year warranty and CE Certified. With aluminum cooling heat sinks and high speed quite cooling fans, run 70% cooler than (HID) lights. Specifications: replaces a 400-Watt HPS/MH. Dimensions: 12.6 x 7 x 8.3 in. Item weight: 6.4 lbs. Use for all stages of plant growth. Input Voltage: AC100-240-Volt. Frequency: 50-60Hz. LED Output Power: 60pcs 5-Watt. LED Type: High efficiency 5-Watt Epistar LEDs. Package includes: 1 x Hydro 300W Full Spectrum LED, 1 x Hanging Kit, 1 x 6 ft. Power Cord (US Standard 110-Volt grounded 3 prong plug). Attention please: extremely bright, do not look directly at the LED bulbs when the light is working. Indoor use only, not water-proof. No extra ballast is needed. Can be controlled by Timer.
  • Full Spectrum (Veg and Bloom) suitable for all stages of indoor plant growth
  • Selectable Veg/Bloom switches with 2x high speed whisper quiet fans and aluminum cooling heat sinks runs 70% cooler than HPS/MH
  • To replace traditional 400-Watt HPS/MH while consuming only 120-Watt (True Wattage)
  • Recommended lighting time: recommended vegetative stage: 14-18 hours on; flowering stage: 10-12 hours on
  • Recommended coverage: 2 x 2 ft.
  • Daisy chainable feature (up to 8 fixtures per outlet)
  • CE certified and 3-year warranty

Sure looks that way to me...

Specifications (2 of these in the kit)
Hydro Crunch 300-Watt Equivalent LED Grow Light Full Spectrum is ideal for all kinds of indoor plants veg and flower at all growth stages. 3-year warranty and CE Certified. With aluminum cooling heat sinks and high speed quite cooling fans, run 70% cooler than (HID) lights. Specifications: replaces a 400-Watt HPS/MH. Dimensions: 12.6 x 7 x 8.3 in. Item weight: 6.4 lbs. Use for all stages of plant growth. Input Voltage: AC100-240-Volt. Frequency: 50-60Hz. LED Output Power: 60pcs 5-Watt. LED Type: High efficiency 5-Watt Epistar LEDs. Package includes: 1 x Hydro 300W Full Spectrum LED, 1 x Hanging Kit, 1 x 6 ft. Power Cord (US Standard 110-Volt grounded 3 prong plug). Attention please: extremely bright, do not look directly at the LED bulbs when the light is working. Indoor use only, not water-proof. No extra ballast is needed. Can be controlled by Timer.
  • Full Spectrum (Veg and Bloom) suitable for all stages of indoor plant growth
  • Selectable Veg/Bloom switches with 2x high speed whisper quiet fans and aluminum cooling heat sinks runs 70% cooler than HPS/MH
  • To replace traditional 400-Watt HPS/MH while consuming only 120-Watt (True Wattage)
  • Recommended lighting time: recommended vegetative stage: 14-18 hours on; flowering stage: 10-12 hours on
  • Recommended coverage: 2 x 2 ft.
  • Daisy chainable feature (up to 8 fixtures per outlet)
  • CE certified and 3-year warranty
Okay that’s 1 amp , I looked at the one that had two lights ! I’ve never seen these before actually! There are so many of these leds out here that haven’t been tested or I don’t know about it . Go to a utube grow with that setup maybe?

Back
Top Bottom